Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

My distrust of Samsung

Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:00 am

stems from the fact that they make large home appliances in addition to electronics.

I'm having to allow that this may have to have something to do with my age. See, when I was growing up, refrigerators, dishwashers, and washer/dryers were made by companies like Whirlpool, Frigidaire, Maytag, Amana... And TV's and telephones were made by Panasonic or Sony, or Toshiba. (Wait did Toshiba make phones? )

When I got my first smartphone back in 2013 I ruled out Samsung because I didn't want to buy a phone from a washing machine company.

I mean srsly, are we supposed to believe in the smartphone-making capabilities of Whirlpool and Maytag? That's what it strikes me they're asking us to do.

....Or, do I, in a most un-Airstudly manner, for once in my life not have a valid point here and the Samsung phones and laptops and other historically Sonygenic products are actually OK in these here newfangled times?

I'm looking at used laptops on the eBay and some of the really decent-looking affordable ones with the features I want seem to be made by... you know...

What's everyone else's take on/experiences with Samsung products?

:boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.

BlueberryWheats

Re: My distrust of Samsung

Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:10 am

I went from iPhone to Windows Phone to Android on Samsung. Samsung is the clear winner for me by a country mile.

I think Airstud needs to embrace the change. Who knows, maybe in a few years Hoover will produce the greatest smartphone in the world. :lol:

(Typed on my second Samsung phone I have owned, an S9)
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:42 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:
I went from iPhone to Windows Phone to Android on Samsung. Samsung is the clear winner for me by a country mile.

I think Airstud needs to embrace the change. Who knows, maybe in a few years Hoover will produce the greatest smartphone in the world. :lol:

(Typed on my second Samsung phone I have owned, an S9)

What did you have to compare it with, though? I was trés happy with the HTCOne that I settled on in 2013, I went to iPhone two years ago and have been constantly looking back Android-way. (See, next to Android, the iPhone is a doddering piece of crap). Whose products does Samsung beat, and how do you gauge it?
Pancakes are delicious.

Dutchy

Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:58 am

Airstud wrote:
When I got my first smartphone back in 2013 I ruled out Samsung because I didn't want to buy a phone from a washing machine company.

I mean srsly, are we supposed to believe in the smartphone-making capabilities of Whirlpool and Maytag? That's what it strikes me they're asking us to do.

Well, that is your bias talking, not founded on facts:

Samsung was founded by Lee Byung-chul in 1938 as a trading company. Over the next three decades, the group diversified into areas including food processing, textiles, insurance, securities, and retail. Samsung entered the electronics industry in the late 1960s and the construction and shipbuilding industries in the mid-1970s; these areas would drive its subsequent growth. Following Lee's death in 1987, Samsung was separated into four business groups – Samsung Group, Shinsegae Group, CJ Group and Hansol Group. Since 1990, Samsung has increasingly globalised its activities and electronics; in particular, its mobile phones and semiconductors have become its most important source of income. As of 2017, Samsung has the 6th highest global brand value.[5]

Notable Samsung industrial affiliates include Samsung Electronics (the world's largest information technology company, consumer electronics maker and chipmaker measured by 2017 revenues),[6][7] Samsung Heavy Industries (the world's 2nd largest shipbuilder measured by 2010 revenues),[8] and Samsung Engineering and Samsung C&T (respectively the world's 13th and 36th largest construction companies).[9] Other notable subsidiaries include Samsung Life Insurance (the world's 14th largest life insurance company),[10] Samsung Everland (operator of Everland Resort, the oldest theme park in South Korea)[11] and Cheil Worldwide (the world's 15th largest advertising agency measured by 2012 revenues).[12][13]

Samsung has a powerful influence on South Korea's economic development, politics, media and culture and has been a major driving force behind the "Miracle on the Han River".[14][15] Its affiliate companies produce around a fifth of South Korea's total exports.[16] Samsung's revenue was equal to 17% of South Korea's $1,082 billion GDP.[17]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung

Samsung is huge and make all kinds of things, one of those Asian colomorates.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

tommy1808

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:30 am

Airstud wrote:
I'm having to allow that this may have to have something to do with my age. See, when I was growing up, refrigerators, dishwashers, and washer/dryers were made by companies like Whirlpool, Frigidaire, Maytag, Amana... And TV's and telephones were made by Panasonic or Sony, or Toshiba. (Wait did Toshiba make phones? )
:

Samsung is bigger than all of these companies combined where at the time. They got the resources......

And since I am a Samsung Note user since about forever, and note users are about as evangelical about it as iPhone users, I can tell you those are the best smartphones ever made...... ;)

And they are not made in China, so that is a ++.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Olddog

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:51 am

My wife is also a Note user or rather addict. I will get her the Note 5g next year and she will be grumpy for a few days as she never want to real a manual :)

BlueberryWheats

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:04 am

Airstud wrote:
What did you have to compare it with, though?

Good point. To be honest I have only owned Samsung branded android phones, but I'm more than happy with them.

Slightly off topic (not about phones, but about large companies making various things), if GE turbofan engines are anything like GE lightbulbs I'd rather take the train. GE bulbs last so much less time in this house before burning out compared to other brands
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

VSMUT

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:30 am

Airstud wrote:

They also had an aerospace division that eventually turned into Korean Aerospace Industries. Think of it as a phone from a former aerospace company ;)

Nokia started out as a paper mill and later moved over to rubber boots and tires.
LG was a plastics company.

WildcatYXU

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:11 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Airstud wrote:

They also had an aerospace division that eventually turned into Korean Aerospace Industries. Think of it as a phone from a former aerospace company ;)

Nokia started out as a paper mill and later moved over to rubber boots and tires.
LG was a plastics company.

Only the L from LG was a plastics company. The G stands for Gold Star electronics. Gold Star was making electronics and appliances since the fifties. I still have fond memories of the Gold Star 3 in one microwave oven combo we used to have back in the old country. You can't buy anything like this around here.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

NIKV69

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:56 pm

I had three Samsung phones and they all sucked. Switched to LG and am much happier. I don't own any of their appliances.
I am the Googlizer!!!

Spar

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:26 pm

Samsung is a (multinational) conglomerate.
Blaming Samsung for the performance of any particular product of theirs is a bit like bad mouthing Warren Buffett because you don't like the French fries at Dairy Queen.

Max Q

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:43 pm

Airstud wrote:
stems from the fact that they make large home appliances in addition to electronics.

....Or, do I, in a most un-Airstudly manner, for once in my life not have a valid point here and the Samsung phones and laptops and other historically Sonygenic products are actually OK in these here newfangled times?

I'm looking at used laptops on the eBay and some of the really decent-looking affordable ones with the features I want seem to be made by... you know...

I’m with you

All my experience with large appliances has been with GE, Whirlpool etc and that’s what I will always buy

As far as TV’s are concerned I’ve always bought Sony except for a Panasonic plasma which has been great, wish they still made them

My next TV will be a Sony, what you grow up with makes a big impression, I always buy Japanese cars as well, either Honda, Toyota or Subaru

I’ll never buy a Kia either!
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:12 am

You're already buying a Samsung if you buy an iPhone, considering that Samsung makes components for a plethora of mobile phones.

As for Samsung phones, if you're talking about Samsung phones prior to 2012 you may have a point. But Samsung phones nowadays are so different. I gravitated to the Samsung Galaxy S8 after using iPhones since 2010 and I'm now converted fully to Android & Samsung.

Max Q wrote:

You're missing out. As a former Kia owner I dare say they've surpassed the Japanese in terms of reliability, quality, styling (thank you Peter Schreyer) & above all driving dynamics.

The only reason my current car is not a Kia is because I got mine at a massive discount. Otherwise I'd consider another Kia.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

vhqpa

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:10 am

Each to their own. I went from IPhone (3G/4), to Samsung (S4/S6/S8+), and now have a Google Pixel 3XL (Hardware by HTC I believe). I have to say Samsung are better than the rest as far as hardware goes (except for that stupid Bixby button) athough I admit the more recent Apple's aren't far behind. The main reason why switched from Samsung was I'm pretty invested in Google's ecosystem and didn't like Samsung's software, nor having duplicate apps so I decided to give the Pixel a go.

As far as as reliability goes I've had mixed experiences with Samsung. The S4 and S6 were flawless for the 24 month contract cycle. Although my mother had problems with her S6 which necessitated a warranty swap. My S8+ started to get have problems with it's USB-C port about 18 months in. It got to the point were it was almost impossible to charge unless the cable sat at the right angle and the table didn't get bumped. I ended up paying a penalty to recontract 4 months early to ditch that phone. With my Pixel I've just had to get a warranty replacement six months in because it decided it was no longer going to recognise any SIM Card so not a great start. I'm eligible for an early upgrade at the end of the year It remains to be seen what I get. I'm open to almost any Android.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

YokoTsuno

Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:23 am

Airstud wrote:
I mean srsly, are we supposed to believe in the smartphone-making capabilities of Whirlpool and Maytag?
You seem to believe that the guys that do Samsung smartphones are the same ones that build washing machines. Most of them haven't even met each other, ever.

It's like a logistics employee at GE's container division which at the same time has designing MRI scanners as a hobby with GE health care. Mc Gyver does that, real companies don't work that way.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:26 am

YokoTsuno wrote:
Airstud wrote:
I mean srsly, are we supposed to believe in the smartphone-making capabilities of Whirlpool and Maytag?
You seem to believe that the guys that do Samsung smartphones are the same ones that build washing machines. Most of them haven't even met each other, ever.

It's like a logistics employee at GE's container division which at the same time has designing MRI scanners as a hobby with GE health care. Mc Gyver does that, real companies don't work that way.

Exactly my point. Medical professionals count on MRI scanners to generate output that helps them to make potentially life-and-death decisions.

And now we have container people making them? Containers are for like, margarine and stuff.
Pancakes are delicious.

Max Q

Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:44 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
You're already buying a Samsung if you buy an iPhone, considering that Samsung makes components for a plethora of mobile phones.

As for Samsung phones, if you're talking about Samsung phones prior to 2012 you may have a point. But Samsung phones nowadays are so different. I gravitated to the Samsung Galaxy S8 after using iPhones since 2010 and I'm now converted fully to Android & Samsung.

Max Q wrote:

You're missing out. As a former Kia owner I dare say they've surpassed the Japanese in terms of reliability, quality, styling (thank you Peter Schreyer) & above all driving dynamics.

The only reason my current car is not a Kia is because I got mine at a massive discount. Otherwise I'd consider another Kia.

Not doubting you actually but I wonder how
much a KIA would be worth at trade in compared to a Honda or Toyota, I just don’t see it
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:26 am

Max Q wrote:
Not doubting you actually but I wonder how
much a KIA would be worth at trade in compared to a Honda or Toyota, I just don’t see it

True, but then again, when first introduced Honda & Toyota didn't fetch the same trade in value either.

Sooner or later Kia's values will go up. What's needed now is a paradigm shift in terms of perception.

mham001

Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:38 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Well, that is your bias talking, not founded on facts:

The basis for his bias may be the 'fact' that Samsung was first seen in this country selling cheap drugstore electronic products, sharing shelf space with Gold Star (now LG), another Korean product one step above junk quality.

DaProf

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:33 am

YokoTsuno wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Considering this site, I would have gone with why should I trust the company that made my dishwasher and light bulbs to make the jet engine on my plane :biggrin:

Airstud
Topic Author

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:41 am

DaProf wrote:
YokoTsuno wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Considering this site, I would have gone with why should I trust the company that made my dishwasher and light bulbs to make the jet engine on my plane :biggrin:

Exactly. If my plane is at the gate and I can tell it's got GE engines, I send it back and make them install P&W's.
Pancakes are delicious.

FatCat

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:28 am

the fact is that Samsung products are inferior in component's quality but Android OS is way way way way better than Apple iOS.
Just think about email attachments - iOS has a weird way to manage them, in 2007 / 2008 when I got my first (of many) iPhones, you couldn't attach more than a single file to a mail, it was embarassing, having to send 10 mails for 10 attachments
Or the fact that is impossible to see a photo details - date, hour, geotag - but maybe this thing has changed in the last years ( my last iPhone was a 4 dismissed in 2015 ).
Also it's disgusting how you are not allowed to use old iPhones even if they still work fine - my iPhone 3G and 4 are in perfect conditions and still working fine - battery is ok, screen is perfect - but you cannot install any app anymore.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:22 am

FatCat wrote:
the fact is that Samsung products are inferior in component's quality but Android OS is way way way way better than Apple iOS.

I don't think Samsung's components are inferior in quality - don't forget, the screens on the latest iPhones are sourced from...Samsung.

You'd think they'd put the same spec, or higher, screens in their phones.

tommy1808

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:39 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
FatCat wrote:

I don't think Samsung's components are inferior in quality - don't forget, the screens on the latest iPhones are sourced from...Samsung.

Apple makes a splendid CPU.

But that is about the only part that is better on an iPhone......

best regards
Thomas

KentB27

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:02 pm

I don't get it. Why do you distrust a company that has products and expertise in multiple types of electronics?

Mitsubishi makes cars, televisions, heavy equipment, air conditioning units, and soon, regional jets. Doesn't bother me one bit.

I don't really see an issue with Samsung making smartphones and large appliances. Their TVs are great and their phones are good too. My parents like their Samsung refrigerator.

Dano1977

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:12 pm

As a family we've owned 2 Samsung American style fridge freezers. All went wrong roughly 2 months after the warranty expired.

For household appliances now, we either buy Bosch or Siemens, apart from the cooker, which is a Rangemaster.
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

FatCat

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:39 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
FatCat wrote:

Apple makes a splendid CPU.

But that is about the only part that is better on an iPhone......

best regards
Thomas

Following this discussion I tried to use my iPhone 4.
Charged, put a SIM card in it.
Took ages to recognize the SIM card.
Very slow. The phone is completely clean, no third party application whatsoever - it isn't possible to install anything anymore. Yet tooks ages and ages and ages to open the SMS section, or to make a phone call.
For comparison, the old, never updated, cheap Galaxy Ace I use as an emergency backup still working good. Have a bunch of apps there, Spotify, Whatsapp and Facebook, all of them working properly.
I think it uses something like Android 3...
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

cledaybuck

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:40 pm

For the record my Samsung electronics (mostly TV's) have lasted a lot longer than my Samsung appliances (washer and dryer).
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

tommy1808

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:16 am

cledaybuck wrote:
For the record my Samsung electronics (mostly TV's) have lasted a lot longer than my Samsung appliances (washer and dryer).

If its with water, buy Miele :)

best regards
Thomas

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:53 am

Airstud wrote:
YokoTsuno wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Exactly my point. Medical professionals count on MRI scanners to generate output that helps them to make potentially life-and-death decisions.

And now we have container people making them? Containers are for like, margarine and stuff.

It evidently bears pointing out, to the extended a.net community, that this post was delightful and wry.
Pancakes are delicious.

Pavloff

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:38 am

Samsung is a very large company with more than 320,671 employees.
If the company produces washing machines, this does not mean that your phone was assembled by the same person that collects the washing machine.
Samsung is the first on the market of technologies, because it supplies its products even to such large companies as Huawei and others ...
Many companies use Samsung displays and other components to manufacture their phones. It is necessary to disassemble every second phone and you will see chips from Samsung.
Because they make quality products.
Look even at your PC, you probably have Samsung RAM installed.
Collaborating with Samsung, Google released its first smartphone on Android.
Samsung everywhere

WIederling

Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:10 pm

Airstud wrote:

There are few things you can't get from Samsung :-)
Need a container ship? Ask Samsung.

I've never had issues with Samsung products.
Obviously I've never bought a box carrier either :-)
but PC-monitors, TVs, memory ( and other integrated circuits ), hard drives, my current phone, ..
reliably good quality.
Murphy is an optimist

M564038

Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:12 pm

Other products under the Samsung umbrella includes lots of consumer and professional Audio gear. If anyone is into products from Harman-Kardon, JBL and Martin bluetooth to Stadium concert Speakers, reverbs and effects from Lexicon, the classic compressors and limiters from west coast conpany Urei (LA2a, 1176,1178, LA3a, 165), swiss Studer mixers used at a large portion of everything you watch on TV, brutish Soundcraft mixers famous in the concert live world, austrian AKG headphones and microphones, Mark Levinson and Infinity Hifi gear and car speakers, DBX and BSS audio gear.

All of this and more is Samsung.

Classa64

Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:25 pm

I would not distrust a company based on this, besides

Yamaha builds Motorcycles and some of the best Instruments in the world ( pianos etc)
Bombardier builds snowmobiles and subway cars,
GE builds Refrigerators and Aircraft engines
Playtex made the Apollo Astronaut suits

Lots more, but even though Samsung builds phones and other multiple brands they are totally separate divisions with there own R&D etc, I have a Samsung phone and would not hesitate to buy one of there fridges, I hear there quite reliable :)

C.

Airstud wrote:

"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

seat64k

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:59 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
If its with water, buy Miele :)

Now this I can agree with!

WIederling wrote:
Need a container ship? Ask Samsung.

I'm pretty sure I bought Samsung toothpaste when I was there. The number of things they manufacture is simply staggering.

Airstud wrote:

We've had numerous Samsung (and Goldstar/LG) items in the family and in my various house shares - all of them were solid. I don't think I own any Samsung kit right now (except for a few old phones), but I had a Samsung TV before, which was great. I sold it because I moved country and I was planning to buy a bigger one anyway.

The apartment I'm renting has a Samsung washing machine though, and it's great! It's quiet and efficient, does a decent job, doesn't seem to be ageing my clothes unnaturally quickly. But it has a delay timer that sets the *finish* time, rather than the start time, so I can set it overnight to complete when I wake up in the morning. This is fantastic!

seat64k

Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:10 pm

mham001 wrote:
The basis for his bias may be the 'fact' that Samsung was first seen in this country selling cheap drugstore electronic products, sharing shelf space with Gold Star (now LG), another Korean product one step above junk quality.

How long do you take to change your view on something? 30 years? 40 years? My folks still have working Goldstar appliances from the 1980s in the house. The Goldstar brand was retired in 1995, so anything bearing that name is going to be at least 24 years old by now.

FatCat wrote:

This is an (uninformed) opinion, not a fact. Uninformed, because not only does Samsung manufacture much of the components that go into the iPhone, but at times Samsung makes more money from iPhone components than from their own Galaxy S line.

FatCat wrote:
Just think about email attachments - iOS has a weird way to manage them, in 2007 / 2008 when I got my first (of many) iPhones, you couldn't attach more than a single file to a mail, it was embarassing, having to send 10 mails for 10 attachments

You clearly don't remember what the first version of Android was like.

FatCat wrote:
Also it's disgusting how you are not allowed to use old iPhones even if they still work fine - my iPhone 3G and 4 are in perfect conditions and still working fine - battery is ok, screen is perfect - but you cannot install any app anymore.

Not allowed? Who's preventing you? As you describe later, your iPhone 4 still works (so does mine), if not fast enough to meet your uniquely rarefied standards.

Dano1977 wrote:
As a family we've owned 2 Samsung American style fridge freezers. All went wrong roughly 2 months after the warranty expired.

Irrelevant anecdote. Here's another one: The very first fridge I bought new (in 1998) was a Samsung. It was the cheapest one of a certain size - I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it didn't last. But I sold it to a friend in 2007, and she's still using it today, 21 years later.

FatCat wrote:
Following this discussion I tried to use my iPhone 4.

Great, so did I! Had to charge it first because it's been packed away in a box since the day I got the 5S.

FatCat wrote:
it isn't possible to install anything anymore. Yet tooks ages and ages and ages to open the SMS section, or to make a phone call.

All these apps start in around 1 second on my iPhone 4. Other apps can still be installed - the AppStore works as expected. For some apps it warns you that the latest version of the app is not available for this device, and you're getting an older version. (This happens on android too, Play Store just doesn't tell you).

FatCat wrote:
For comparison, the old, never updated, cheap Galaxy Ace I use as an emergency backup still working good. Have a bunch of apps there, Spotify, Whatsapp and Facebook, all of them working properly.

I was able to install those three apps on the iPhone 4 without any problems. They're not as snappy as on my current iPhone - I wouldn't expect it to be on a 9 year old device - but they're certainly not unusable. Nothing takes "ages and ages."