SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

'We're anti-influencer': ice-cream truck makes Instagram 'stars' pay double

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:12 pm

A cool story about daring to go against the current trend of showing off and using it absurdly.

Joe Nicchi has had enough of self-proclaimed influencers wanting free cones for publicity. Now he’s the one going viral

“There’s something so redeeming about outing influencers,” he said, adding that many small businesses have written to him thanking him for speaking up. “I hope that more people do not allow likes and comments and followers to hold weight in the business. I want people to go to a restaurant because the food and service is fantastic.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... nfluencers

TheFlyingDisk

Re: 'We're anti-influencer': ice-cream truck makes Instagram 'stars' pay double

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:41 pm

As a marketer, I applaud Nicchi's move. The news coverage he gets from doing this is worth more than one post from a self-appointed "influencer".

I never liked "influencer" marketing. It's just hokum.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

tommy1808

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:06 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
I never liked "influencer" marketing. It's just hokum.

i am fairly happy that "influencers", and those who hire them, can be fined up to half a million here if they fail to mention that they are just doing an infomercial. ....

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

B777LRF

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:10 am

Check out Paul Stenson and his smal Dublin hotel. He regularly rips these free-loading, worthless, millennials to pieces on instasnapbook.
Signature. You just read one.

fallap

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:18 am

B777LRF wrote:
Check out Paul Stenson and his smal Dublin hotel. He regularly rips these free-loading, worthless, millennials to pieces on instasnapbook.

Nice touch including your hatred of millennials in your rant.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

OA260

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:51 pm

B777LRF wrote:

Although he is into his marketing stunts himself ...

Latest one :

Dublin hotel The White Moose Cafe lashes back at customer who called sign at front desk racist

Owner Paul blasted the woman back posting a screenshot of her message and insisting that the 'vast majority' are OK with it

www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dubl ... e-16485122

KentB27

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:12 pm

This reminds me of the South Park episode in which Gerald and Cartman become Yelp reviewers in order to obtain free food at restaurants.

The ice cream truck owner does have a point. It is kind of bullshit that some people use being an "influencer" as a card to pull to get things for free. If a company offers to give you something for free to promote it, that's fine, but demanding that a company give you something for free in exchange for you to promote it because you claim to be an "influencer" is a dick move IMHO. If you're really that good of an influencer the companies will come to you.

FlyingColours

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:29 pm

There was a story that the BBC carried (and then other outlets followed - barring ITV for obvious reasons) where a "Reality TV" show, "The Real Housewives of Cheshire" (a spin off of the countless American versions filled with the same shouty type women and fake situarions) was in town and one of the production team tweeted a restaurant asking for a free meal (or should I say "Complimentary" meal) for 5 people in return for some publicity. The tone of the message was a bit imposing too, like it would be rude to decline them.

The guy did and the story is here;
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-48295357

They also did an article this week which looked at what's going on with Tik Tok and how the "stars" are pretty much taking advantage of all the "gifts" paid for by viewers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-4 ... ting-story

With regard to the last one it is concerning, there is nothing wrong with a small tip on a livestream or a small donation on patreon to reward the creators hard work but to give their "phone number" (and subsequently not answer it) in exchange for very pricey donations is absurd.

*Oh that South Park episode was awesome, especially the end :)

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

jetwet1

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:47 pm

It's also interesting when one of these influencers are stupid enough to say "give me something for free or I will post a negative review" on tape.....The one we just dealt with was shocked to find himself in cuffs, in a holding cell waiting on law enforcement.

B777LRF

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:13 pm

fallap wrote:
Nice touch including your hatred of millennials in your rant.

Hate? That's a harsh word and I certainly don't go around hating people I don't know just for being idiots.

But I do view certain millennials, particularly those who can't do a bucket of laundry but knows everything about scamming honest businesses, with all the disdain possible, and will leave no effort undone pouring as much venom upon their leaching, selfcentered, useless and antisocial ways as possible. And it is a fact, that the overwhelming - if not entire - population of leaching 'influencers' are of the millennial persuasion.*

Should I take it you have a snapgram and some followers? Tried selling them a t-shirt?

*I recently read about how trendy being an 'influencer' has become, some have even taken to post sh1t they claim have been sponsored, when it's been no such thing. Just as the opposite is illegal in many places, surely claiming to be paid to push a product when you haven't, is equally so?
Signature. You just read one.

Dieuwer

Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:12 am

Twitter, Instagram = Loudmouth Central.

blueflyer

Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:23 am

B777LRF wrote:
I recently read about how trendy being an 'influencer' has become, some have even taken to post sh1t they claim have been sponsored, when it's been no such thing. Just as the opposite is illegal in many places, surely claiming to be paid to push a product when you haven't, is equally so?

It would be interesting to know the FTC's take on someone tagging their post as advertising when it is not. I would guess they wouldn't react though. While I see the public interest in making sure that paid advertising is clearly identified, I don't see how the public is being harmed when a non-solicited review is presented as paid advertising.
Besides, I am not sure would-be influencers actually report their post as advertising, I think they merely write in the same style as paid reviewers.

2707200X

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:28 am

Influencer plus stan culture = Jacklyn Hill with metal bits in her lipstick, now in hiding. Hold influences accountable at least as we would with Ford, Boeing, Kirkland/Costco, Equate/Walmart, Harley Davidson, Dyson and L'Oreal.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever