fr8mech
Topic Author

Gas vs. Charcoal

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:44 am

Ok, folks. This burning question needs to be answered, and I can't think of a better place to get more answers, and non-answers, than here.

When grilling, do you prefer gas (propane or natural) or charcoal?

Certainly, gas is more convenient. Quick and easy to control the temperature. Some say that cooking with gas leave a hint of a chemical taste, but I really don't think that's the case.

Personally, I prefer cooking with coal, specifically lump coal, but I'll use charcoal briquettes when cooking for a small party, or if there is a need for a more consistent temperature. Of course, if you're not careful, the briquettes will leave a chemical taste, but getting them hot enough before you begin to work on temperature control, should deal with that.

For large groups, I may start with briquettes, but any coal added to keep the temperature up will be lump coal, as it usually doesn't have any chemical binders.

I just don't think you can beat the taste of meat, any meat, or fruits/vegetables, grilled over a charcoal fire.

Now, note, I said grilling, not barbecuing. There is only one true acceptable method for barbecuing, and that is NOT to use gas. Briquettes, lump coal, pellets, just wood, whatever...just no gas.

And don't tell me using wood chips with a "gas smoker" is the same thing. It is not.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Gas vs. Charcoal

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:52 am

Lump charcoal, hands down. It’s a pain at times, it can be messy or difficult to start, but it’s best. I burn it in a Big Green Egg.

GF

T18

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:26 am

Hank Hill taught me propane is the far superior option.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

TSS

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:24 am

fr8mech wrote:
Personally, I prefer cooking with coal, specifically lump coal, but I'll use charcoal briquettes when cooking for a small party, or if there is a need for a more consistent temperature. Of course, if you're not careful, the briquettes will leave a chemical taste, but getting them hot enough before you begin to work on temperature control, should deal with that.

For large groups, I may start with briquettes, but any coal added to keep the temperature up will be lump coal, as it usually doesn't have any chemical binders.

Clarification: When you say "coal" are you referring to charcoal (partially burned wood) or actual coal (fossilized remains of prehistoric swamps)?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

fr8mech
Topic Author

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:38 am

TSS wrote:
Clarification: When you say "coal" are you referring to charcoal (partially burned wood) or actual coal (fossilized remains of prehistoric swamps)?

Didn't realize that would need clarification. Yes, I cook with either lump charcoal or charcoal briquettes, not the sedimentary rock.

tommy1808

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:52 am

fr8mech wrote:
Yes, I cook with either lump charcoal or charcoal briquettes, not the sedimentary rock.

that kind of wood though? Beech, Oak, Coconut.... depends on the meat you are preparing, and how you like it. Coconut is good if you like beef medium rare, Beech is good for veggies, chicken, fish...

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Magog

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:09 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Lump charcoal, hands down. It’s a pain at times, it can be messy or difficult to start, but it’s best. I burn it in a Big Green Egg.

GF

Same here. Cooking with the Big Green Egg and lump charcoal is the way to go. It’s pretty cheap from a fuel perspective since you can snuff out the fire when you are done and reuse the remaining charcoal.

Magog

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:15 am

tommy1808 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
Yes, I cook with either lump charcoal or charcoal briquettes, not the sedimentary rock.

that kind of wood though? Beech, Oak, Coconut.... depends on the meat you are preparing, and how you like it. Coconut is good if you like beef medium rare, Beech is good for veggies, chicken, fish...

best regards
Thomas

Disagree. Wood is wood. At least as far as those that are suitable for cooking. Nobody can tell the difference between oak and cherry. The people that do are probably the same people who claim to be able to detect a hint of currant in their wine.

flipdewaf

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:25 am

When Grilling I always use lump wood but for barbecuing I use briquettes, my set up is completely homemade so there are issues of temperature control and airflows when the lid is down and briquettes help with that issue.

I don't use gas at all, Can you plank on gas?

Fred

tommy1808

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:18 am

Magog wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Disagree. Wood is wood. At least as far as those that are suitable for cooking. Nobody can tell the difference between oak and cherry. The people that do are probably the same people who claim to be able to detect a hint of currant in their wine.

it is not about the taste, it is about the temperature, charcoal is not 100% pure carbon and depending on the wood that went in you get different temperatures.

best regards
Thomas

Magog

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:25 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Magog wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

it is not about the taste, it is about the temperature, charcoal is not 100% pure carbon and depending on the wood that went in you get different temperatures.

best regards
Thomas

Ah... interesting. I did not know that. I’ll look into it.

PhilBy

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:46 pm

Personally I prefer wood (as in bits of tree,not charcoal) for flavour. Cherry and oak is plentiful in our garden. Having recently also acquired a gas BBQ I also see the benefit to easy cooking outside when you really don't want to heat the house anymore

fr8mech
Topic Author

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:51 pm

PhilBy wrote:
Personally I prefer wood (as in bits of tree,not charcoal) for flavour. Cherry and oak is plentiful in our garden. Having recently also acquired a gas BBQ I also see the benefit to easy cooking outside when you really don't want to heat the house anymore

You acquired a "gas grill", not a BBQ. BBQ or barbecue is a technique or, in the south, pulled pork that has been barbecued. :box:

Magog

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:09 pm

fr8mech wrote:
PhilBy wrote:

You acquired a "gas grill", not a BBQ. BBQ or barbecue is a technique or, in the south, pulled pork that has been barbecued. :box:

The word “barbecue” is also used these days to refer to gas or charcoal grills. Not a big deal. Language is always evolving.

NIKV69

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:13 pm

Propane sucks. I use charcoal and mesquite wood soaked overnight in jack daniels.
"Some people did something" Rep Omar on 9/11

tu204

Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:50 am

T18 wrote:

There was that time where he did cheat on propane and appreciated the rich taste of cooking on charcoal though ;)
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

T18

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:19 am

tu204 wrote:
T18 wrote:

There was that time where he did cheat on propane and appreciated the rich taste of cooking on charcoal though ;)

Truly a dark day indeed ;)
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

DL717

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:48 am

fr8mech wrote:
Ok, folks. This burning question needs to be answered, and I can't think of a better place to get more answers, and non-answers, than here.

When grilling, do you prefer gas (propane or natural) or charcoal?

Certainly, gas is more convenient. Quick and easy to control the temperature. Some say that cooking with gas leave a hint of a chemical taste, but I really don't think that's the case.

I just don't think you can beat the taste of meat, any meat, or fruits/vegetables, grilled over a charcoal fire.

Now, note, I said grilling, not barbecuing. There is only one true acceptable method for barbecuing, and that is NOT to use gas. Briquettes, lump coal, pellets, just wood, whatever...just no gas.

And don't tell me using wood chips with a "gas smoker" is the same thing. It is not.

Charcoal is great when done right. Nice and even heat. My brother ruined 4 pounds of ribeye once with too much fluid. I could have siphoned gas out of the car if I wanted that. Gas is definitely easier to work with, less worry about a meat bonfire. Cooks more evenly if you have a good grill. Wood smoke chips help flavor. May favorite is to crank the thing up, sear the beef for a couple of minutes per side, then toss it in an oven for 10-20 depending on how rare you want it. Cover it with foil and let is rest a bit. Tasty.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

fr8mech
Topic Author

Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:08 am

DL717 wrote:
too much fluid.

One word: chimney.

DL717 wrote:
May favorite is to crank the thing up, sear the beef for a couple of minutes per side, then toss it in an oven for 10-20 depending on how rare you want it. Cover it with foil and let is rest a bit. Tasty.

I've done it in reverse. In the oven for 30-40 minutes at 250F, then blast it on the grill for 2 min/side over hot coals. Put a dollop of rosemary/thyme/garlic infused butter on it, before and after the flip.

The key to mitigating the effects of the inevitable flare-ups (due to the butter) is to start with a blistering hot grate, and lower the coals before placing the meat, ever so gently, on the grates.

DL717

Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:15 am

fr8mech wrote:
DL717 wrote:
too much fluid.

One word: chimney.

DL717 wrote:
May favorite is to crank the thing up, sear the beef for a couple of minutes per side, then toss it in an oven for 10-20 depending on how rare you want it. Cover it with foil and let is rest a bit. Tasty.

I've done it in reverse. In the oven for 30-40 minutes at 250F, then blast it on the grill for 2 min/side over hot coals. Put a dollop of rosemary/thyme/garlic infused butter on it, before and after the flip.

The key to mitigating the effects of the inevitable flare-ups (due to the butter) is to start with a blistering hot grate, and lower the coals before placing the meat, ever so gently, on the grates.

I’m not even sure they had chimneys back then. This was about 25 years ago I think. We still call him Burger King and he’s not allowed to cook anymore.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Classa64

Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:52 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Propane sucks. I use charcoal and mesquite wood soaked overnight in jack daniels.

You are my hero :smile:

Growing up watching my dad get out the plug in glowing red heating loop, pour the charcoal over it to get it lit and BBQ for us, I have never done it since sadly.
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

frmrCapCadet

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:42 pm

I have used both, and in a variety of formats. In discussions with those who do a lot more cooking than me I do not hear favoring one over the other as much more than personal preferences. Sous Vide and your kitchen oven also could play a role in what gets finished on your gas or charcoal grill.

Res terminology, it would be convenient if BBQ meant low and long, and grill meant high and fast. But alas that ship sailed and BBQ means whatever the cook wants it to mean. So if you are invited to a BBQ and what to know what will be served, ASK.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Ken777

Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:22 pm

My preference is a good gas grill. In the early 70's we built our first house (thank you, VA) and I had a gas grill installed next to the generic patio. In the middle of an ice storm my better half decided that she REALLY wanted grilled lamb chops. I sort of slid across the ice to the grill, knocked off some of the ice and got it started on HIGH. Left iy 15 minutes to warm up then slid again to toss on the lamb chops and some meat for me, Another slide 15 minutes later to turn the meat and another 15 to get it on a plane. 30 minutes of cooking on HIGH in damn cold weather and the meat was fantastic.

In the early 60's Dad bought a Hasty Bake and that was a great cooker. It was built by an engineer at Gulf Oil (where Dad worked) and everyone wanted one so the engineer went into the Bar-B-Q business. Still in business and one of the best available. Not cheap but nothing better - it even had a crank to raise or lower the fire tray.

Adding link to hasty Bake:

https://www.hastybake.com/collections/charcoal-grills

cjg225

Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:39 pm

Why is this even a discussion?

You might as well cook indoors if you're going to use gas.

As for my charcoal choice, I lay up and use briquettes. I am just not that big of a fan of lump charcoal. I prefer the better temperature control and evenness of the heat of briquettes to any of the benefits of lump charcoal.

Also, might as well bring up that, by far, the best thing ever invented for charcoal grilling is the charcoal chimney. Dear God does that make charcoal grilling so much easier.

Now, I'm trying to sell a house right now, and I got rid of our old big Kingsford-branded grill, and am, embarrassingly, making do with a tiny tailgate charcoal grill each of the last two summers while I (heretofore unsuccessfully) try to sell my parents' old house. It sucks dealing with this small grill, but it also has made the charcoal chimney overkill given the size of the grill. I had never used Match Light charcoal before I got this grill, and I cannot say I've had a positive experience in the least. The stuff just doesn't light worth a damn, and if you don't wait long enough, there may be a noticeably-slight chemical taste (I've managed to learn the proper timing now to avoid that). But, I did buy some lighting aids recently. I found these really interesting things called Royal Oak Natural Fire Starters. Work like a charm. Still markedly slower than a chimney, but it fits my constraints currently. It's allowed me to use only a few pieces of Match Light charcoal strategically placed near a couple of these Fire Starters and then use regular, run-of-the-mill briquettes all through the rest of the grill.

NIKV69 wrote:

We used to soak our wood chips, too, but stopped years ago because of reading more about the tradeoffs with temperature control and charcoal longevity by placing wet wood on the charcoal. Now we prepare little packets of heavy-duty aluminum foil containing a single kind or multiple kinds of wood chips. The benefit is that they don't mess with the temperature or longevity of the coals and you can switch them out over time. My go-to mix for burgers the last couple years has been about 50% Pecan and 50% Hickory.

If you still want the JD taste, there are actually JD wood chips available commercially. They're apparently made out of old JD barrels. We used them many years ago; they were pretty good, but we ended up preferring our normal wood chips. We used to only do Hickory and Mesquite (about a 2-1 blend), but several years ago we branched out (no pun intended) to Pecan, Apple, and Cherry, as well.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

frmrCapCadet

Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:54 pm

Incidentally after buying fairly expensive equipment I found them no more reparable than buying moderately cheap and tossing and replacing - and saving a hunk of money.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Kiwirob

Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:01 pm

I’m thinking about buying a wood pellet bbq, at the moment I use gas, works a treat, I grill year round, in the rain and snow, I can’t be buggered pissing around with wood or coal, and I rotisserie a lot, it’s much easier to use a rotisserie and control the temp with gas.

Magog

Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:06 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
I’m thinking about buying a wood pellet bbq, at the moment I use gas, works a treat, I grill year round, in the rain and snow, I can’t be buggered pissing around with wood or coal, and I rotisserie a lot, it’s much easier to use a rotisserie and control the temp with gas.

For rotisserie they are... okay. For just about anything else they are inferior. They don’t burn hot enough for effective grilling and they don’t smoke well for barbecuing. Mind you, I haven’t looked at the newer models. Things may have changed.

Kiwirob

Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:52 pm

They’ve changed a lot, with the ceramic seat stations they can sear as good as if not better than wood or charcoal. You have much more control over the temperature and most of the decent one have decent smoker boxes.

jetblueguy22

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:53 am

Honestly depends on what I'm grilling. Although I love everything on charcoal, the set up is just a just too much sometimes. If I'm making something for just myself, almost certainly going to be on the propane unless it's something a little more fancy. If I'm cooking for family or friends, unless it's burgers and dogs, probably going to be on the charcoal. Without a doubt tastes better, and I like the extra work involved when I have the time. It feels more rewarding when I cut into it.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

tommy1808

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:09 am

fr8mech wrote:
Certainly, gas is more convenient. Quick and easy to control the temperature. .

control is just experience ....

for anybody else it is this: http://www.activegrill.com/en

(this is what you get when some IT guys go on a bender on Vienna and start to think about the "perfect grill").

Kiwirob wrote:
They’ve changed a lot, with the ceramic seat stations they can sear as good as if not better than wood or charcoal. You have much more control over the temperature and most of the decent one have decent smoker boxes.

but you don´t have all the ritual of setting up the goal. At some point you can just prepare the meat in the kitchen and take it out to eat.

best regards
Thomas

Kiwirob

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:52 am

tommy1808 wrote:

(this is what you get when some IT guys go on a bender on Vienna and start to think about the "perfect grill").

best regards
Thomas

Wow that could get me really interested in a coal grill, the only downside is no rotisserie.

tommy1808

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:01 am

Kiwirob wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Wow that could get me really interested in a coal grill, the only downside is no rotisserie.

i would consider the price a serious downside too....... you really got to love grilling to spend that much money.

best regards
Thomas

agill

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:23 am

The best thing with charcole is buring pinecones and random pieces of wood after you have finished eating :) Yes I am a child in that sence...

einsteinboricua

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:39 pm

cjg225 wrote:
You might as well cook indoors if you're going to use gas.

Except we're back at the whole "electric vs gas stoves" discussion. A steak made on a stove will never taste the same as one made on a grill. If you disagree, then throw away your grill, use a George Foreman, and tell me how that comes out.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

desertjets

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:06 pm

Why not both? And I am being totally serious.

Gas has its major advantage in being simple and quick. Turn on the gas, fire it up, and 10-15 minutes later you are ready to cook.

Charcoal is more time and labor intensive, but even something as basic as a 22" Weber kettle grill can do a lot. And really for a $150 investment for a grill, some tools, chimney starter and a bag of Kingsford you could do a lot worse.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

fr8mech
Topic Author

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:42 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
A steak made on a stove will never taste the same as one made on a grill. If you disagree, then throw away your grill, use a George Foreman, and tell me how that comes out.

I’ll disagree here. Get yourself a good cast iron pan, lots of butter and herbs, high heat, a willingness to actually tend the steak as it cooks, and a tolerance for smoke in the kitchen.

But, I do prefer to do them on the grill.

desertjets wrote:
Why not both? And I am being totally serious.

I do have both. I have a dual fuel set-up. Basically, 2 grills, one side gas, one coal. I find I only use the gas for vegetables, while the meat cooks on the coal side.

trpmb6

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:41 pm

Depends on what I'm cooking, the time I have and who I'm entertaining. Most of the finer points here have been hit.

I highly recommend watching Steven Raichlen's Project Smoke show, or his BBQ show. Lots of unique ways of preparing all types of food. Cooking over a wood fire isn't just for meat. If you're a vegetarian there are many unique ways to prepare your meal. I've even smoked a cheesecake before. And it was phenomenal. (I lied, I smoked two for a party after the brisket finished, and all of it was great. Since you need to let brisket rest for at least an hour after smoking it's a great way to utilize your smoker once you pull the brisket out and use up the remaining fuel - throw desert on!)

Sadly disappointed that no body responded to my Plancha thread a month ago. I'm still trying to think of a way to create a cooking surface for my oversized fire pit for group grilling fun this fall.

NIKV69

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:03 pm

Classa64 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

You are my hero :smile:

Growing up watching my dad get out the plug in glowing red heating loop, pour the charcoal over it to get it lit and BBQ for us, I have never done it since sadly.

I was taught by my buddy in Texas they do steak right!
"Some people did something" Rep Omar on 9/11

cjg225

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:30 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Except we're back at the whole "electric vs gas stoves" discussion. A steak made on a stove will never taste the same as one made on a grill. If you disagree, then throw away your grill, use a George Foreman, and tell me how that comes out.

So you don't get grill marks. That's about it if you do it right.

fr8mech wrote:
I’ll disagree here. Get yourself a good cast iron pan, lots of butter and herbs, high heat, a willingness to actually tend the steak as it cooks, and a tolerance for smoke in the kitchen.

All correct.

You can even do them in the oven, actually.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

einsteinboricua

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:18 am

fr8mech wrote:

I've made filet mignon on a cast iron pan and while does end up amazing, there is quite a difference between cast iron in the oven and grilling. The way I prepare it, one side will always end up more seared than the other because it'll spend 5 minutes in the oven without flipping. In that sense, I'd much rather grill it.

But that's the only meat I've ever been able to successfully cook on cast iron. I've tried oven baked chicken breast and thighs and while they come out juicy, they also lose a lot of juice and flavoring. I've resorted to sous vide for that and then searing it on the grill.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

slider

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:56 pm

I flippin love my Traeger and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Wood pellet grills are awesome and the temp control is great for smoking meat and doing BBQ.

But for tailgating, charcoal grills. And I still like grilling with gas too. And for turkeys, I've gotten used to the infrared cooker. So easy now.

I'll mix up how I cook with what I cook.