Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DL717
Topic Author

California rocked again...

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:15 am

6.9 this time in the same area. My sister called and they were stopped for a bit in Hisparia I think they said. They just got out of LA on a Route 66 road trip.

BN747

Re: California rocked again...

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:22 am

Sent quite a few out into the streets...I almost ran out butt naked.

BN747

Aaron747

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:27 am

DL717 wrote:
6.9 this time in the same area. My sister called and they were stopped for a bit in Hisparia I think they said. They just got out of LA on a Route 66 road trip.

Not surprising - USGS said yesterday there was 30% chance of a larger event. This area is complex geologically, with several reverse and transverse thrust faults converging at 60 degree angles with a plate boundary marked by the San Andreas to the south. This general area produced the M8 1857 Fort Tejon quake and M7.3 1952 Bakersfield quake. You can see more about it here:

http://www.sjvgeology.org/geology/baker ... quake.html

Growing up in the SF area, I was interested in geology but only took a few survey courses in university - geophysics requires math I wasn’t cut out for.

Cadet985

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:29 am

Now beIng called 7.1.

Hope all anetters in the impacted area are safe.

Marc

T18

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:31 am

NBC reported that the quake was felt as far away as Vegas.

DL717
Topic Author

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:37 am

Cadet985 wrote:
Now beIng called 7.1.

Marc

Bigger than the ones back in the 90’s that made a mess in SF and LA. Good thing it’s in a low population area. My sister said they got rocked. People at the restaurant hit the floor. She’s never been in one, so she’s a hot mess right now. Looking at the map they were about 80 miles away.

Cadet985

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:45 am

One of my friends from HS was in a movie theater in the Burbank area. Says they evacuated the theater.

A college friend in Arizona said she felt it too.

Marc

BN747

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:51 am

DL717 wrote:
Cadet985 wrote:
Now beIng called 7.1.

Marc

Bigger than the ones back in the 90’s that made a mess in SF and LA. Good thing it’s in a low population area. My sister said they got rocked. People at the restaurant hit the floor. She’s never been in one, so she’s a hot mess right now. Looking at the map they were about 80 miles away.

That Northridge Quake dropped the 10 Fwy right on cars passing underneath it and those moving on it at the time. I also watched from my balcony as the entire city blew transformers across the horizon as the entire LA basin went completely black for the 1st time.

BN747

Aaron747

Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:06 am

BN747 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
Cadet985 wrote:
Now beIng called 7.1.

Marc

That Northridge Quake dropped the 10 Fwy right on cars passing underneath it and those moving on it at the time. I also watched from my balcony as the entire city blew transformers across the horizon as the entire LA basin went completely black for the 1st time.

BN747

My grandmother’s house was in Encino north of the 101. Her entire area off Burbank Blvd sunk two feet after Northridge and everyone had foundation damage. Took years before all the homes in her neighborhood were repaired.

DL717
Topic Author

Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:13 am

BN747 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
Cadet985 wrote:
Now beIng called 7.1.

Marc

BN747

I was at Travis for Loma Prieta. We got pretty busy cranking out sorties after that. What a mess.

BN747

Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:15 am

Aaron747 wrote:
BN747 wrote:
DL717 wrote:

BN747

My grandmother’s house was in Encino north of the 101. Her entire area off Burbank Blvd sunk two feet after Northridge and everyone had foundation damage. Took years before all the homes in her neighborhood were repaired.

As her, I bet she'll agree..that Northridge Quake was far bigger on the Richter than officially recorded...in far away places it was register above 7.0, but officially slated as a 6.5 or some BS.
Everyone suspects for 'insurance reasons...it was urged to 'claim it lower' than it was.

BN747

KFLLCFII

Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:22 am

For a 7.1, if it was the "primary event", they'd be expecting close aftershock(s) in the 6 range, but so far the biggest was 5.5.

For the 6.4 on July 4th, if it had been the "primary event", they would have expected close aftershock(s) in the 5 range, but the biggest was a 4.7.

Unless a 6-level aftershock happens very soon (that time could have already came and went), this 7.1 could turn out to be another foreshock.

BN747

Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:36 am

DL717 wrote:
BN747 wrote:
DL717 wrote:

BN747

I was at Travis for Loma Prieta. We got pretty busy cranking out sorties after that. What a mess.

I can't imagine....
But been thru there many times.

BN747

Aaron747

Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:56 am

BN747 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

As her, I bet she'll agree..that Northridge Quake was far bigger on the Richter than officially recorded...in far away places it was register above 7.0, but officially slated as a 6.5 or some BS.
Everyone suspects for 'insurance reasons...it was urged to 'claim it lower' than it was.

BN747

She passed on a number of years ago, but she always maintained that Northridge was much more powerful than the valley quake in ‘71.

BN747

Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:06 am

Aaron747 wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

BN747

She passed on a number of years ago, but she always maintained that Northridge was much more powerful than the valley quake in ‘71.

Ahh man, sorry to hear that...but was right on the money with that call.

Todays & yesterdays are nothing compared to Northridge.

BN747

NoTime

Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:46 pm

Stay safe out there, everyone.

ltbewr

Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:57 pm

The earthquakes on 7/4 & 7/5 in California were quite severe, China Lake Navel station is pretty much in lockdown, some local roads are closed do to crack and other damage. This happened in a relatively sparely populated, relatively rural area, unlike those in SF and the Northridge ones so doesn't get the severity of damage, loss of life or injuries or media attention. Still this is a significant shaker and may foretell of the 'big one' in California in the future.

blueflyer

Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:39 pm

ltbewr wrote:
The earthquakes on 7/4 & 7/5 in California were quite severe, China Lake Navel station is pretty much in lockdown.

Here's hoping it is for assessment and/or infrastructure repairs, not because some nasty chemical they play with has leaked...

stl07

Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:47 pm

T18 wrote:
NBC reported that the quake was felt as far away as Vegas.

Yup I felt it in Vegas

ER757

Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:56 pm

My brother lives in Bakersfield, he didn't notice the one Thursday, he was driving when it happened, but he sure felt Friday's! Never been to Ridgefield, but have been to Red Rock Canyon a few times and I'd imagine folks camping there got quite a thrill ride. Wonder if any of the hoodoos cracked and/or fell over.

NIKV69

Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:07 am

DL717 wrote:

I hope you meant Hesparia lol

BN747 wrote:

BN747

Come on man!

My friends in LV, Laughlin and Havasu felt both.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:09 am

Didn’t feel a thing (I’m in SF at the moment).

vikkyvik

Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:47 am

BN747 wrote:

In LA??

Felt both of them here southeast of downtown. 7/5 was a bit stronger, but both were of the gentle-rolling persuasion. Feels like you're on a small boat in 2-foot waves.

When we felt the 7/5 one, I immediately said oh crap, that feels like another very large one far away.

Never get used to earthquakes. Just too weird (as someone who didn't grow up in CA, but has lived here for almost 20 years).

Silver1SWA

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:52 pm

Felt Friday’s quake pretty good in Las Vegas. I was in the South Point tournament bowling center and it was gently rock’n for a good minute or two, enough to stop play for a few minutes.

It’s very odd feeling a major earthquake from far away, knowing that someone somewhere is having a very different (bad) experience at that moment.

DocLightning

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:59 pm

I'm in Santa Barbara right now and we felt it while sitting in a Yogurtland. You could tell it was very big but far away because it was a slow side-to-side motion that was more vertigo-inducing, but strong enough to swing the doors on the store shut and make clothes on a rack in a clothes shop across the street swing. But the big hint that it was big was that it kept on going and going. Small, local quakes and a few seconds of vibration, like a streetcar going past. But a big quake from far away has some significant motion and lasts a long time, even if it's not very strong where you are. This one went on well over 30 seconds.

Tugger

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:35 am

I'm curious to hear about Mt Whitney and if it last or gained some height.

Tugg

BN747

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:39 am

vikkyvik wrote:
BN747 wrote:

In LA??

Felt both of them here southeast of downtown. 7/5 was a bit stronger, but both were of the gentle-rolling persuasion. Feels like you're on a small boat in 2-foot waves.

When we felt the 7/5 one, I immediately said oh crap, that feels like another very large one far away.

Never get used to earthquakes. Just too weird (as someone who didn't grow up in CA, but has lived here for almost 20 years).

NIKV69 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

Come on man!

My friends in LV, Laughlin and Havasu felt both.

It's not about being shook up...I look at them a surprise Free Roller Coaster Ride...

But it's about a 'rapid response' as soon as one hits.
The plan now is set aside a 'Go Bag'..with extra pair of shoes, clothes, keys, etc - at the ready by the, so next time I can run out naked with the bag and dress outside, pooch in tow.

BN747

Silver1SWA

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:08 am

Side note:

I’ve experienced many earthquakes (too many), both big and small, but in almost all of them I was indoors. Earthquakes are creepy enough, especially the sound of walls and household items shaking etc, but a couple years ago I was out in the mountains east of San Diego in pitch blackness taking photos of the night sky when a 5+ hit. That was one of the most bizarre experiences. It was pitch black out, dead quiet when suddenly a loud roar, similar to the sound of a plane landing in reverse thrust when you’re miles away but amplified multiple times as if it was 10 planes landing simultaneously (the best way I can describe it). I looked to my friend and asked what is that? Suddenly the ground moved, trees rustled etc. until the sound slowly faded. It was like I literally heard the quake come and go. The ground resonated. It really freaked me out.

seb146

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:23 pm

When the news cycle is slow in the Pacific Northwest, local news outlets take time to remind everyone that "the big one" is due. I wonder if this series of quakes is "the big one" for Southern California?

vikkyvik

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:59 pm

Silver1SWA wrote:
Felt Friday’s quake pretty good in Las Vegas.

New location?

Silver1SWA wrote:
It’s very odd feeling a major earthquake from far away, knowing that someone somewhere is having a very different (bad) experience at that moment.

Definitely.

Silver1SWA wrote:
It was like I literally heard the quake come and go.

That happened with my very first earthquake. Sophomore year of college, I was sitting at my desk. Heard a far-off rumble that sounded like a distant truck. Got louder over the next 5-10 seconds while I wondered what the hell it was, then everything started shaking. There were only 2 or 3 really good shakes, then things settled down, and the rumble got softer died away over the next 10 seconds. Turned out to be a 4.2, which isn't huge, but centered in Beverly Hills, which was only ~8 miles away.

I'll never forget seeing my CRT monitor (this was in 2001) shaking back and forth, and thinking it was going to fall on the floor. And even weirder, looking through the window above my desk, and seeing the building across the alley shaking relative to the building I was in.

It all happened too quickly for me to do anything but sit there. I was freaked out for a good hour after.

afcjets

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:07 pm

BN747 wrote:
It's not about being shook up...I look at them a surprise Free Roller Coaster Ride...

The plan now is set aside a 'Go Bag'..with extra pair of shoes, clothes, keys, etc - at the ready by the, so next time I can run out naked with the bag and dress outside, pooch in tow.

BN747

The big one will not be about the earthquake itself, all hell will break loose once the infrastructure is severed and upto 20 million people start getting hungry or thirsty.

You have to laugh when they say several hundred buildings will fall, not to mention thousands if not tens of thousands of houses, yet they only expect 2000 to not survive.

afcjets

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:11 pm

seb146 wrote:
When the news cycle is slow in the Pacific Northwest, local news outlets take time to remind everyone that "the big one" is due. I wonder if this series of quakes is "the big one" for Southern California?

No, Palm Springs could have a 7.8 and Lucy would still say this is not San Andreas and it does not increase the risk of it erupting, but you should be prepared anyway, it's definitely coming, we just don't know when. That's always her response.

Tugger

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:03 pm

afcjets wrote:
The big one will not be about the earthquake itself, all hell will break loose once the infrastructure is severed and upto 20 million people start getting hungry or thirsty.

You have to laugh when they say several hundred buildings will fall, not to mention thousands if not tens of thousands of houses, yet they only expect 2000 to not survive.

Not really how it works but then not sure exactly what kind of magnitude earthquake you are speaking of. Location and strength are the big factors. 8.5's on the San Andreas aren't a big deal if they happen away from populations and infrastructure (well they are but I trust you know what I mean) . For injury and death, time of day is a bigger deal. Even a 6, if it happens in the middle of a population center in the middle of the night, it will be more likely deadly than one in the middle of the day. The big destructive part of an earthquake is generally near the epicenter and then at certain geographic points beyond that (say 50 miles) where the earth has a quiality that magnifies or affects the movement.

San Jose/San Fransisco are the big populations at risk. LA and its flat plain is kinda isolated from the SA fault (not saying it won't impact it). Liquefaction and certain areas where the wave energy becomes harmonic/"combined" will experience the worst. Of course the SA is not the only fear and problem for LA, it is the dozens of faults that crisscross the region that will cause the havoc and a big move by the SA fault could get them moving.

Fun stuff.

Tugg

BN747

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:16 pm

afcjets wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

Like any catastrophic event, flood, wildfire, earthquakes ignite panic, panic amid a disaster usually means wrong choices than can be fatal.

It is about the earthquake, because it is the quake itself that will set things in motion...it is the first domino to go.

BN747

afcjets

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:55 am

Not of it's a highrise office building. Most in DTLA should be safe but not all of the older ones scattered like in the IE (ok midrise).

LA is chaos and total gridlock now any day. When millions try to escape with no gas and severed freeways, it will be 1000 times worse. There is only so much FEMA can fly in, drop from the sky or ship into San Pedro after traveling down the coast.

DL717
Topic Author

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:31 pm

I’ll take our tornados over this. At least you have a chance to get out of the way, even if it’s a small one. Localized vs. widespread damage.