Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ozair
Topic Author

ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 Discussion Thread

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:29 pm

Anyone else watching this right now...?

I should be in bed but can't go without knowing who wins. An hour ago I though NZ had it in the bag but India and Dhoni have come back brilliantly.

Ozair
Topic Author

Re: India V NZ cricket world cup

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:43 pm

Jadeja out and a great innings but the pressure was clearly getting too much. Looks to be NZ into the final and hopefully versus Australia!

flipdewaf

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:42 pm

Ozair wrote:
Jadeja out and a great innings but the pressure was clearly getting too much. Looks to be NZ into the final and hopefully versus Australia!England

Fixed it for you!

Fred

WingsFan

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:24 pm

It was a disappointing match from Indian point of view. A complete collapse of top order which had performed brilliantly throughout this tournament....until today.
Well done NZ. Great bowling and game planning. Jadeja and Dhoni put up an admirable last stand but obviously Dhoni is not 26 any more and could have used more support.

ZK-NBT

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:33 pm

Amazing really. I didn’t give us NZ a chance in that particular game given our form over the last 2 games, the pitches have been different to say the least but have made for a good contest between bat and ball throughout.

Well done lads, bring the cup home!

Ozair
Topic Author

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:11 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
Ozair wrote:
Jadeja out and a great innings but the pressure was clearly getting too much. Looks to be NZ into the final and hopefully versus Australia!England

Fixed it for you!

Fred

Ha, we shall see!

WingsFan wrote:
It was a disappointing match from Indian point of view. A complete collapse of top order which had performed brilliantly throughout this tournament....until today.
Well done NZ. Great bowling and game planning. Jadeja and Dhoni put up an admirable last stand but obviously Dhoni is not 26 any more and could have used more support.

I think Dhoni just left it too late and created too much pressure. NZ did superb in bowling and not conceding too many runs but Dhoni scoring at a higher rate would have reduced that pressure and prevented India from requiring so much from the last three overs.

ZK-NBT wrote:
Amazing really. I didn’t give us NZ a chance in that particular game given our form over the last 2 games, the pitches have been different to say the least but have made for a good contest between bat and ball throughout.

Well done lads, bring the cup home!

Was an unusual pitch, I expected that 240 was not a great score to defend but the NZ bowling attack was so good. It will be interesting to see how the NZ bowling attack approaches the final given Australia hasn’t been scoring high totals but winning games while England typically are a high scoring team and rely on those high totals to create the pressure.

lbs

ICC World Cup Final England vs New Zealand

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:52 am

England swaggered into their first World Cup final in 27 years, the world cup coming home the first time in history?

flipdewaf

Re: ICC World Cup Final England vs New Zealand

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:54 am

I had the BBC live updates on the Aussie match yesterday in the background at work only to realise that I didn't need to as my boss's boss was shouting out eh score every time it changed as well as running calculations on run rates score and required. At one point he emailed me a graph.

I'm looking forward to the match on Sunday, I'll be listening to it on TMS, the pictures are better and Zaltzman is particularly funny.

Fred

Kiwirob

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:14 pm

As plenty of pundits have said, the side that beats India will win the World Cup!

bombayduck

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:44 pm

For those of us living in the U.K, the game is being broadcast live on channel 4 on Sunday.

ZKSUJ

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:12 am

Looking forward to the final tomorrow!!! We are underdogs again but thats less pressure

ZKSUJ

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:13 am

Looking forward to it. Staying up all night to support the under dogs

Ozair
Topic Author

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 Discussion Thread

Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:56 am

Now I am conflicted, as an Australian I don't like NZ winning anything but also can't abide the old enemy...

In the end hopefully it is a good game and goes down to the last over to decide.

noviorbis77

Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:31 pm

What a fantastic final.

Well done England !

Channex757

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:07 pm

Ozair wrote:
Now I am conflicted, as an Australian I don't like NZ winning anything but also can't abide the old enemy...

In the end hopefully it is a good game and goes down to the last over to decide.

Last over?

It went to the last possible ball!

That super-over rule sucks for NZ as it was a draw in all but name. Well done New Zealand for a great game and congratulations England.

Dano1977

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:50 pm

Sir Peter Jackson.Sir Edmund Hillary, Dame Kiri Te Kanawa ... Your boys took one hell of a beating!

noviorbis77

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:20 pm

England the only country in the world to win Football, Rugby Union and now Cricket World Cup.

scbriml

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:36 pm

That was simply the greatest ODI game ever. I thought England were out of it with two overs to go. If you'd written those last two overs as a script, you'd have been laughed at.

A six that was caught but the fielder stepped onto the boundary, then a six with four overthrows deflected of Stokes' bat. Two run outs going for vital second runs. Then the super overs. :faint:

Congrats to England, but heartfelt commiserations to New Zealand, they played their full part in an epic final. What an emotional rollercoaster that was. I'm exhausted.

Ozair
Topic Author

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:38 pm

Channex757 wrote:
Ozair wrote:

Last over?

It went to the last possible ball!

That super-over rule sucks for NZ as it was a draw in all but name. Well done New Zealand for a great game and congratulations England.

Crazy finish!!!!!

Not sure I am a fan of the super over, I'd like to see perhaps another three overs each with three different bowlers.

Congratulations to England, they did the whole world cup the hard way but played the best they needed to when it counted. Poor NZ, runners up the last two world cups and now the next one is in India.

apodino

Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:26 am

I wish there would have been a free way to view this in the US. Cricket is not well known in the US, but its a sport I do enjoy watching in a limited over format as the world cup is. (I don't like test cricket personally) That being said, for two teams to score identical points in 50 overs is really something. It sounds like it was a great match.

What a day for sports in London though. Between the cricket world cup final, and just across town the Wimbledon Gentlemen's final, you had some very entertaining stuff indeed. Can you imagine if the Premier league had had a classic match today as well?

Kiwirob

Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:07 am

Dano1977 wrote:
Sir Peter Jackson.Sir Edmund Hillary, Dame Kiri Te Kanawa ... Your boys took one hell of a beating!

That's a confusing post!!

Dogbreath

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:54 am

And now the controversy starts. Reading the news bites, the overthrow that deflected of Stokes' bat should not have resulted in 6 runs but only 5 runs. Also due to the ICC ruling, Stokes should not have been at strikers end after this incident. It appears the Umpires failed to follow ICC ruling 19.8.
According to this rule, when the throw from the outfield was made the payers had not crossed over, and therefore that run does not count.

I feel for the Kiwi's.

WingsFan

Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:57 pm

apodino wrote:
I wish there would have been a free way to view this in the US. Cricket is not well known in the US, but its a sport I do enjoy watching in a limited over format as the world cup is. (I don't like test cricket personally) That being said, for two teams to score identical points in 50 overs is really something. It sounds like it was a great match.

What a day for sports in London though. Between the cricket world cup final, and just across town the Wimbledon Gentlemen's final, you had some very entertaining stuff indeed. Can you imagine if the Premier league had had a classic match today as well?

You forgot Formula 1 at Silverstone circuit yesterday. Hamilton took the crown no less. Truly magnificent day for sport on the island.

Kiwirob

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:40 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
What a fantastic final.

Well done England !

Why they didn't deserve the win, it’s a hollow victory, NZ are the champions in all but name.

Besides the umpires screwing it up they should have also used the Duckworth Lewis system where NZ would have won because they lost less wickets, wickets are more important than boundaries.

England winning is a travesty and black name on cricket. The result should be reversed.

Kiwirob

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:42 pm

Dogbreath wrote:
And now the controversy starts. Reading the news bites, the overthrow that deflected of Stokes' bat should not have resulted in 6 runs but only 5 runs. Also due to the ICC ruling, Stokes should not have been at strikers end after this incident. It appears the Umpires failed to follow ICC ruling 19.8.
According to this rule, when the throw from the outfield was made the payers had not crossed over, and therefore that run does not count.

I feel for the Kiwi's.

Yip they should overturn the result, everyone knows who actually won the game, the Pommy team can’t honestly look at the result and think they deserved the trophy.

scbriml

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:53 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Why they didn't deserve the win, it’s a hollow victory, NZ are the champions in all but name.

Besides the umpires screwing it up they should have also used the Duckworth Lewis system where NZ would have won because they lost less wickets, wickets are more important than boundaries.

England winning is a travesty and black name on cricket. The result should be reversed.

Want some twisted to go with that bitter?

ODIs are all about runs scored. Wickets lost hasn't counted for anything for years.

Maybe NZ should also know the laws (which is ambiguously worded anyway) and mention it to the umpire?

Kiwirob wrote:
Yip they should overturn the result, everyone knows who actually won the game

That's just trash talk, it's not like England cheated. Cricket matches have been decided by incorrect umpire decisions since the game was invented. Has any result ever been overturned after the game because of an umpire error?

Maybe you should try taking it on the chin? The NZ team managed perfectly well.

Kiwirob wrote:
the Pommy team can’t honestly look at the result and think they deserved the trophy

Yeah, I bet they can hardly live with themselves. :rotfl:

jpetekyxmd80

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:10 am

As a kind of casual cricket fan who hasn't watched so much lately, that was quite something to see. Hope you enjoyed it, scbriml. Congrats to England.

Kiwirob

Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:41 am

scbriml wrote:

They have to live with the fact that apart from a few fans in the UK the rest of the cricketing world knows they didn't win that game, it's about the most hollow world championship victory in any sport that I can ever remember watching.

scbriml

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:09 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
scbriml wrote:

They have to live with the fact that apart from a few fans in the UK the rest of the cricketing world knows they didn't win that game, it's about the most hollow world championship victory in any sport that I can ever remember watching.

Complete and utter bollocks.

The only part of the "cricketing World" that might give a damn is NZ and their cricketers seem to be man enough to accept that umpires make mistakes. As they have done throughout the entire history of the game.

Get over it.

Kiwirob

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:49 pm

scbriml wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Complete and utter bollocks.

The only part of the "cricketing World" that might give a damn is NZ and their cricketers seem to be man enough to accept that umpires make mistakes. As they have done throughout the entire history of the game.

Get over it.

You need to start reading the Australian and Indian press rather than the incredibly biased from the UK press.

The umpires made a ruling which was contrary to the rules of cricket and screwed NZ out of the win which they deserved. The umpires should have gone to the third man, England did not win the World Cup the umpire handed it to them.

Even Ben Stokes dad thinks the result wasn’t correct

Even Stokes’ New Zealand father questioned the rule that handed World Cup final glory to England.

Gerard Stokes, a former Kiwis rugby league international, said on Monday morning the trophy should have been shared and the match should have been recorded as a draw.

And Ben knows it was wrong and asked the umpires to remove the 4 overthrows

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/cr ... 5280v.html

You won’t find many if any newspaper articles which suggest that support the umpire decision and that England won the cup fair and square, you know they didn’t, I know they didn’t, anyone who follows cricket knows they didn’t, it’s about as hollow a victory as Argentina beating England in the 86 World Cup quarter final.

https://7news.com.au/sport/cricket/cric ... n-c-269319

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id ... overthrows

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/e ... c1f2f1f843

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/c ... dcfbd0a44f

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricket/ ... t-18254082

chinmay17shetye

Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:19 pm

If it was India in New Zealand's place, imagine what would have happened.
Just because they are the underdogs, there wasn't a lot of outrage. I'm pretty sure there would have been some kind of rematch/draw/an extra super over or any other compromise had India been in that position. It is very impressive how New Zealand handled the result.

No matter what the British press says, the 2019 world cup will always be New Zealand's.

scbriml

Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:07 pm

Get over it.

Cricket matches have been decided by incorrect umpiring decisions since the game started. I have watched and played a lot of cricket and I cannot think of a single instance where overthrows were reduced because the batsman hadn't crossed. Feel free to find one.

The simple fact is, nobody knows how the match would have finished if five runs had been awared instead of six, so claiming NZ "were robbed" is ludicrously desperate.

ZK-NBT

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:11 am

Great game, totally gutted for our boys, personally while there had to be a result being a WC final, wickets lost or something like that, I accept what the rules say however they could probably do with a look at. There were many moments in the game that could have gone either way.

Even Eoin Morgan is troubled by the way England won. I like him and the way England have played the ODI game over the last 4 years, England have been the best team in that time. It was good to see a good contest between bay and ball rather than both teams scoring 400.

scbriml

Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:54 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
Great game, totally gutted for our boys, personally while there had to be a result being a WC final, wickets lost or something like that, I accept what the rules say however they could probably do with a look at. There were many moments in the game that could have gone either way.

It was a great game, possibly the greatest ODI ever played. It’s difficult to see how one could be closer!

ZK-NBT wrote:
Even Eoin Morgan is troubled by the way England won. I like him and the way England have played the ODI game over the last 4 years, England have been the best team in that time. It was good to see a good contest between bay and ball rather than both teams scoring 400.

Just for clarity, Morgan’s discomfort has nothing to do with overthrowgate (not that you implied it did), but the fact that the teams were inseparable by runs scored.

ODIs are all about runs scored so wickets or boundary count shouldn’t matter. IMHO it would be better to continue playing super overs until there was a clear winner. I don’t see how a World Cup can be “shared”. Is there any sport where it can be?

ZK-NBT

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:11 am

scbriml wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

It was a great game, possibly the greatest ODI ever played. It’s difficult to see how one could be closer!

ZK-NBT wrote:

Just for clarity, Morgan’s discomfort has nothing to do with overthrowgate (not that you implied it did), but the fact that the teams were inseparable by runs scored.

ODIs are all about runs scored so wickets or boundary count shouldn’t matter. IMHO it would be better to continue playing super overs until there was a clear winner. I don’t see how a World Cup can be “shared”. Is there any sport where it can be?

Given the occasion I agree it has to possibly be the greatest ODI ever played.

Yea totally, overthrowgate haha was just another one of those moments.

Duckworth Lewis works on runs scored vs wickets lost so wickets do play a part, I’m honestly not going to pretend to know how it works even having played and followed the game for years.

I agree pretty hard to share a World Cup title.

scbriml

Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:24 pm

NZ gets its revenge and narrowly knocks England out of the World Cup.

Netball World Cup that is. :wink2:

ZK-NBT

Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:33 pm

scbriml wrote:
NZ gets its revenge and narrowly knocks England out of the World Cup.

Netball World Cup that is. :wink2:

Haha yep, and how’s on to win the World Cup, certainly didn’t expect that after their recent form.