jetwet1
Topic Author

Planned storming of Area 51 9/20

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:57 pm

Proof yet again that the internet should never have been allowed to be set free for use by the general public.

https://www.newsweek.com/storm-area-51- ... un-1448449

So, anyone planning on joining this ?

If so, is there anything you wish to leave to the A'Net universe ?

Dutchy

Re: Planned storming of Area 51 9/20

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:49 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
Proof yet again that the internet should never have been allowed to be set free for use by the general public.

:lol:

Anyhow, will be interesting what the reaction of the security staff will be. Can't imagine that they will actually open fire on these lot. On the other hand, can't imagine that there will be many out there on that day to actually storm Area 51.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

TSS

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Ehh... Some time back on one of those "Area 51 Exposed!" programs I heard that since currently it was anything but a secret, Area 51 was now more or less just a false front to keep the conspiracy theorists occupied and that anything of interest had been moved to a much less accessible and genuinely "secret" base years ago.

False front or not, I doubt that storming Area 51 will go well. The sentries with Jeeps, binoculars, and scoped rifles that you do see when you get close are probably nothing compared to whatever it is you don't see that might be waiting for you in the desert there.
Last edited by TSS on Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

readytotaxi

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:06 pm

The Aliens will be waiting for them at the fence.

You won't get past this one.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Dutchy

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:46 pm

It would be interesting to hear from you lot, what you think would be a method to have a peak inside.

To fantasize, never could and will do something like this in real life: I would do something with a drone, I think. Either have some kind of small buggy which needs to be able to recharge and have it moves slowly (a couple of days/weeks to cross the distance) towards some kind of ridge to overlook the base form a short distance but still have a camera lens big enough to see some detail and have a night option of course or some kind of flying drone which could do small hops, but that would be harder to disguise.

TSS

Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:43 pm

Dutchy wrote:
It would be interesting to hear from you lot, what you think would be a method to have a peak inside.

To fantasize, never could and will do something like this in real life: I would do something with a drone, I think. Either have some kind of small buggy which needs to be able to recharge and have it moves slowly (a couple of days/weeks to cross the distance) towards some kind of ridge to overlook the base form a short distance but still have a camera lens big enough to see some detail and have a night option of course or some kind of flying drone which could do small hops, but that would be harder to disguise.

Whether Area 51 is still used to house and/or test any secret aircraft or not, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that one thing Area 51 IS used to test is surveillance systems, incorporating the latest infrared, sound, LIDAR, radar, and any other technology you'd care to imagine because the constant flow of people trying to get a closer, better look at the place provide an unending selection of test targets. I would further imagine that after years of using constant surveillance of various types that the Area 51 sentries know the location, movements, size, and possibly even last meal of every coyote, jackrabbit, and rattlesnake in the area.

YouTuber "Donut Operator" comments on this and other fun stuff in his LEO Recap- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l2l67_h4Rs

einsteinboricua

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:46 pm

I give this as much credibility as the whole "Shoot at Hurricane Irma/Florence" events.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

T18

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:54 pm

So Flash mob at Area 51. Got it. Also are Flash Mobs still a thing in 2019?
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

BravoOne

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:17 pm

Dutchy wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

:lol:

Anyhow, will be interesting what the reaction of the security staff will be. Can't imagine that they will actually open fire on these lot. On the other hand, can't imagine that there will be many out there on that day to actually storm Area 51.

Don't bet on it. The Camo Dudes are able and willing and the use of deadly force is clearly posted. Hope it happpens as it would be a good reason to rid the world of a bunch of losers. Oh, did I mentions its very hot, and lots of BOG rattlesnakes all over the place.

FTMCPIUS

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:34 pm

T18 wrote:

The organizers should bring in some Chicago gang members as consultants. They have the flash mob thing down to a science. ;)

Birdwatching

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:56 pm

I always found it funny how Americans think they live in the "land of the free" but there are huge stretches of landscape they are not allowed to walk into or even see. I'm glad I live in a country where in theory I can freely move everywhere, even if it's private property, with very few exceptions
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

Super80Fan

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:09 pm

It's a joke, but of course you Boomers wouldn't get it.

Anyway, I'd set up a lawn chair nearby just to watch the idiots who do think it's real actually attempt it.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

Super80Fan

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:10 pm

Birdwatching wrote:
I always found it funny how Americans think they live in the "land of the free" but there are huge stretches of landscape they are not allowed to walk into or even see. I'm glad I live in a country where in theory I can freely move everywhere, even if it's private property, with very few exceptions

Yeah there is nothing "free" about this country except you have the right to decide who you do slave labor for.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

TSS

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:11 pm

Birdwatching wrote:

I'm guessing you live in Scotland where "Right of Roaming" is the law of the land? If so, does RoR include all areas of military bases located there?

One reason the very large Nevada Test Site adjacent to Area 51 is off limits is because atomic bombs were tested there in the 1950s and much of it is still highly radioactive. As I understand it, the A-bomb explosions fused the desert sand into odd green glass (think lumpy green obsidian) in some locations and this glass is both particularly radioactive and attractive as a collector's item to anyone unaware of its toxicity.

BravoOne

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:39 pm

TSS wrote:
Birdwatching wrote:

I'm guessing you live in Scotland where "Right of Roaming" is the law of the land? If so, does RoR include all areas of military bases located there?

One reason the very large Nevada Test Site adjacent to Area 51 is off limits is because atomic bombs were tested there in the 1950s and much of it is still highly radioactive. As I understand it, the A-bomb explosions fused the desert sand into odd green glass (think lumpy green obsidian) in some locations and this glass is both particularly radioactive and attractive as a collector's item to anyone unaware of its toxicity.

Actually you are quite wrong. True that most of this land is under the control of the Dept of Energy, but most of it is not radioactive today. Google Faultless test site. One of the biggest tests during the cold war and you cna can drive right up to ground zero for a first hand inspection. 800+ underground tests, and about 100 above ground tests. A very interesting time in world history. The Atomic Museum in Las Vegas is worth a visit should be interested in learning more. PS, I have a piece of that glass you spoke about.

DDR

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:49 pm

T18 wrote:

Only if you are trying to rob some business.

TSS

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:09 am

BravoOne wrote:
TSS wrote:
Birdwatching wrote:

Actually you are quite wrong. True that most of this land is under the control of the Dept of Energy, but most of it is not radioactive today. Google Faultless test site. One of the biggest tests during the cold war and you can drive right up to ground zero for a first hand inspection. 800+ underground tests, and about 100 above ground tests. A very interesting time in world history. The Atomic Museum in Las Vegas is worth a visit should be interested in learning more.

Fair enough, I stand corrected. :blush:

In my defense, now that I think about it it may have been some time since I've seen or read anything about the test site so my info may have been out of date if not just plain wrong to begin with.

BravoOne wrote:
PS, I have a piece of that glass you spoke about.

Cool! :thumbsup:

DL717

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:53 am

T18 wrote:

Probably more like a rave.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

DL717

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:55 am

Birdwatching wrote:

It’s what happens when you actually have a lot of land, so much so that you can do things like set aside mass expanses of it for wildlife so they can be free as well.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:38 am

Birdwatching wrote:

It’s hardly private property if just anybody can roam around it.

GF

FTMCPIUS

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:00 am

Birdwatching wrote:

Why don't you try to 'freely roam' into one of the UK's very sensitive/highly classified military facilities? Feel free to report on the outcome.

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:30 am

BravoOne wrote:
its very hot, and lots of BOG rattlesnakes all over the place.

Bog snakes are the worst...
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

stl07

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:20 am

I'm going to use DL717s term. If any fool tries this out the government will hopefully give them the Darwin award.
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

Aesma

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:19 am

I'm sure if there's something of interest there, it's well hidden/underground, so that even people working there but not on these interesting things don't know what it is, so this is pointless.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

BravoOne

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:16 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
its very hot, and lots of BOG rattlesnakes all over the place.

Bog snakes are the worst...

You are right, as they can swallow you whole:)

jetwet1
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:04 pm

It does raise an interesting question though.

What if say 20,000 people show up, while the security is very good, they are probably not equipped to deal with that type of number, though, they will have time to call in the cavalry as it's 10 miles from Rachel to the back gate, so figure 2 hours of walking once they set off. But how do they stop that number of people ? Shoot a couple and hope the rest run away ? Drop a gunship in front of them ? (probably the best way to deal with it).

TSS

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:47 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
It does raise an interesting question though.

What if say 20,000 people show up, while the security is very good, they are probably not equipped to deal with that type of number, though, they will have time to call in the cavalry as it's 10 miles from Rachel to the back gate, so figure 2 hours of walking once they set off. But how do they stop that number of people ? Shoot a couple and hope the rest run away ? Drop a gunship in front of them ? (probably the best way to deal with it).

Donut Operator covered the possibilities you mention plus one other pretty well in the first two and a half minutes of this video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l2l67_h4Rs

Quote- "Who wouldn't want to see 200,000 people in a Naruto sprint get converted into pink mist?"

My guess is that very few if any of the would-be participants will even make it far enough to be of much interest to the sentries once they realize how hot, dry, vast, and inhospitable the desert really is around there and how grossly unprepared for a desert hike they are if they've never spent time in the desert before. Between heat stroke, dehydration, and an invisible-until-you're-right-on-top-of-it rattlesnake lying eagerly in wait under about every third or fourth sage bush, not many will make it.

jetwet1
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:17 pm

TSS wrote:

My guess is that very few if any of the would-be participants will even make it far enough to be of much interest to the sentries once they realize how hot, dry, vast, and inhospitable the desert really is around there and how grossly unprepared for a desert hike they are if they've never spent time in the desert before. Between heat stroke, dehydration, and an invisible-until-you're-right-on-top-of-it rattlesnake lying eagerly in wait under about every third or fourth sage bush, not many will make it.

While I pretty much agree with you, by that time of year it's not that hot out here, rattlesnakes will head in the other direction of the thundering herd and yeah, by mile 5 I am in agreement that half the crowd will have become bored.

BravoOne

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:59 pm

There are probably not 20,000 people a year that drive up the 2 lane highway, much less to the front gate at A51 The little restaurant in Rachel does have good pie, and great chili though.

ltbewr

Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:42 am

I doubt they will get 200 stupid enough to try to enter the site.

jetwet1
Topic Author

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:45 am

TSS wrote:

Donut Operator covered the possibilities you mention plus one other pretty well in the first two and a half minutes of this video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l2l67_h4Rs

I had never heard of him, but I got sucked down into the Youtube black hole and ended up watching way to many "sovereign citizen v police" videos....For some reason I find them hilarious.

BravoOne wrote:
There are probably not 20,000 people a year that drive up the 2 lane highway, much less to the front gate at A51 The little restaurant in Rachel does have good pie, and great chili though.

I can't find any numbers on the net (but i'm going to guess someone at work will have the numbers, I will check when I go in in a few hours) but I would have to guess the numbers are far greater than 20,000 a year visit Rachel, but yes to the gates, I am sure you are correct, though again at some point I would not be surprised if it became "a thing" to mess with the security around the site.

readytotaxi

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:16 am

ltbewr wrote:
I doubt they will get 200 stupid enough to try to enter the site.

Come on, of course they will, this is America. :duck:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

BravoOne

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:47 pm

You are probably right regarding the number as I just pulled that out of my butt. Regardless it's meaningless at the end. No one will be storming the perimeter of A51 without deadly consequences being invoked. Some of these camo dudes probably lay away at night dreaming of stuff like this while they wipe down their weapon of choice with a big grin on their face.

Dutchy

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:35 pm

BravoOne wrote:
You are probably right regarding the number as I just pulled that out of my butt. Regardless it's meaningless at the end. No one will be storming the perimeter of A51 without deadly consequences being invoked. Some of these camo dudes probably lay away at night dreaming of stuff like this while they wipe down their weapon of choice with a big grin on their face.

if that were the case, I hope they will be sacked immediately, nobody needs trigger happy nutcases guarding them.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:40 pm

An enlisted troop in my squadron flew in the Hueys that patrolled the Area 51 perimeter. The SPs are highly selected and trained, think Delta Force types. They’re also very serious about guarding it. Freedom Ridge and Tikaboo Peak have been enclosed into Area 51.

bennett123

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:41 pm

‘Freedom Ridge’ kinda ironic.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:19 pm

bennett123 wrote:
‘Freedom Ridge’ kinda ironic.

It wasn’t ironic when it was the best point to look into “The Box” at Groom Lake. That freedom-loving President Clinton approved the Area 51 expansion. Every country has guarded military areas, no surprise there. Try getting into Woomera Test Range or GCHQ in the UK.

TSS

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:24 am

Dutchy wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

If that were the case, I hope they will be sacked immediately, nobody needs trigger happy nutcases guarding them.

There's a big difference between "trigger happy nutcases" and highly trained specialists who would be happy to finally get to put their years of training to practical use.

fr8mech

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:33 am

My guess: if a large number of these folks try to storm the place, the security forces would use sonic devices for crowd control.

I suspect the military has access to stuff that has a little more kick than what police departments have.

Then, of course, smoke/chemical irritants can be deployed. I'm thinking most of those fools wouldn't have any MOPP gear.

I'm sure those methods, plus other LTL methods would be employed long before deadly force was used...and long before anyone got even got close to an actual "secure" area.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:09 am

It’s also a long ways in, heat, boredom will be effective deterrents.

TSS

Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:39 am

fr8mech wrote:
My guess: if a large number of these folks try to storm the place, the security forces would use sonic devices for crowd control.

I suspect the military has access to stuff that has a little more kick than what police departments have.

Are you suggesting that after years of experimenting, government scientists have finally perfected a way to broadcast the "Brown Note" for crowd control? :scared:

fr8mech wrote:
Then, of course, smoke/chemical irritants can be deployed. I'm thinking most of those fools wouldn't have any MOPP gear.

It would literally depend on which way the wind is blowing that day, plus near the crest of ridges you can get a nasty backdraft with the wind at your back.

fr8mech wrote:
I'm sure those methods, plus other LTL methods would be employed long before deadly force was used...and long before anyone got even got close to an actual "secure" area.

Probably so.

gunsontheroof

Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:40 am

This can't be taken too seriously, but I have to wonder if any of these folks have any idea how far it is from the outer perimeter to Groom Lake. If you're not fully equipped for open desert hiking, you're going to be in for a world of hurt. If I was one of the camo dudes, I'd be tempted to watch them go through just to see how many folks turned back within the first few miles before moving in...
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

Dutchy

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:18 am

TSS wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

If that were the case, I hope they will be sacked immediately, nobody needs trigger happy nutcases guarding them.

There's a big difference between "trigger happy nutcases" and highly trained specialists who would be happy to finally get to put their years of training to practical use.

I agree, big difference, deadly force should only be used in extreme cases. Let.s sat 200 people show up and actually do this, should they be met by bullets only? Or should they try to solve this in a non-violent matter? Or let's say it were 2.000, or 20.000, or 200.000? All be killed? Is that proportionally? I don't think so, use of deadly force doesn't mean automatically it needs to be used.

bgm

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:23 am

DL717 wrote:
T18 wrote:

Probably more like a rave.

Rave? Are we back in the 1990s now?
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

bgm

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:27 am

TSS wrote:
Birdwatching wrote:

Why would you suggest only Scotland? There are plenty of other places that allow freedom to roam. FYI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

TSS

Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:54 pm

Dutchy wrote:
TSS wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I agree, big difference, deadly force should only be used in extreme cases.

The organized invasion of a US military base by a large group of unauthorized and unidentified personnel IS an extreme case. Technically, it is an act of war.

Dutchy wrote:
Let's say 200 people show up and actually do this, should they be met by bullets only? Or should they try to solve this in a non-violent matter?

These signs and others like them posted all around Area 51 serve as the passive, non-violent method of discouraging would-be intruders-

Anyone ignoring the signs has gone from "would-be" intruder to actual intruder and thus has opted for the active and very possibly violent method of discouragement. Considering that this group's stated purpose is to "raid" a US Air Force Base at 3:00 am, the use of deadly force the instant they cross the "That's too close" line as delineated by the "No Trespassing" signs and barbed wire is warranted. They were clearly warned, and they chose with their own free will to ignore the clear warnings.

Dutchy wrote:
Or let's say it were 2.000, or 20.000, or 200.000? All be killed? Is that proportionally? I don't think so, use of deadly force doesn't mean automatically it needs to be used.

Again, organized invasion of US military base = Act of war, not the time to hesitate to nullify the threat with extreme prejudice.

With the higher numbers the chance that the ones at the back won't hear what's going on at the front increases, so helicopters with bright lights and loud PA systems become necessary. Either way, the intruders will be seen as an invasion and will be treated as such.
Last edited by TSS on Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TSS

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:16 pm

bgm wrote:
TSS wrote:
Birdwatching wrote:

Why would you suggest only Scotland? There are plenty of other places that allow freedom to roam. FYI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam

Scotland was the only place I knew of that had RoR, and that only because I follow a Scottish vlogger who is quite outdoorsy and has mentioned it from time to time.

blueflyer

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:28 pm

The security personnel is a little smarter than average. My guess is, *if* a mass invasion does occur, they'll actually let them get inside for a mile or two, hide an interception crew behind a turn in the road. Sort of a test to see whether they actually have stupid intentions, or their motivation was deflated by the lack of apparent (*) concern once they put a toe on the wrong side of the line.

It has been done before. A few years back, a BBC crew did cross the gate and they were basically left alone for 30 minutes until they forced the security guards to acknowledge their presence.

* Apparent is the key word. The security staff will have name, address, date of birth and content of the last meal figured out for half of the crowd by the time they get close to the line, especially the ones dumb enough to announce their arrival on Facebook.

jetwet1
Topic Author

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:04 pm

Well it's up to 700k saying they will go and 600k saying they may go, honestly at this point the military will probably have to have a force in place just in case, really a waste of time and money.

The sad thing is, it's just dawned on me, I will be out of the country that week, so I will have to watch the net for reports.

Dutchy

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:29 pm

TSS wrote:
Again, organized invasion of US military base = Act of war, not the time to hesitate to nullify the threat with extreme prejudice.

Don't be so melodramatic, "act of war", com'on. these are civilians with a curious mind.

jetwet1 wrote:
Well it's up to 700k saying they will go and 600k saying they may go, honestly at this point the military will probably have to have a force in place just in case, really a waste of time and money.

The sad thing is, it's just dawned on me, I will be out of the country that week, so I will have to watch the net for reports.

Nothing will come of it. If indeed a huge crowd is turning up, they will know hours in advance, it is in the big nothing so putting some scouts at either end of the road will do it and they probably have a few people "inside" these 700.000 people so they can monitor it from the inside. They might have sent their aircraft elsewhere, just in case, if they have anything there at all. It is entertaining to think about it, but sadly we will never know.