DeltaWings
Topic Author

Disappearances in American National Parks

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:23 pm

I’m sure some of you have heard of this, but there seems to be something going on in the national parks and forests. Now this phenomenon is not only correlated with North America, it does in fact happen all over the world, but the USA and Canada seem to have the most occurrences. I am talking about people that go missing under the most bizarre circumstances- but it is not just the process of going missing, it is the entire search and rescue procedure and the finding of the (usually) dead body that just raises more questions than delivers answers.

Apparently, there are thousands of missing cases in the national parks in the USA every year. Of course, there are still the normal getting-lost cases or falling-into-a creek accidents, but the majority of these missing cases are very odd. Many of these people are never seen again; while sometimes the dead body is found weeks later, often only small bone fragments are found together with some of the persons clothing. But the most bizarre thing about this all, is that many cases tend to follow the same pattern. But let’s start with the process of going missing:

1. The person that vanishes is usually hiking on their own. If they were not on their own, then they were like the last in line of a group or were slightly ahead on a trail, meaning they were briefly separated from the rest of the group. In the case of being with a group, the other members always report that the missing person just suddenly vanished into thin air. Like, when they looked back their friend was suddenly gone, there had been no noise, no commotion, no trace for a struggle, nothing.

2. The vanishing usually occurs between 4 and 6 pm.

3. Shortly after the disappearance, the weather often turns bad, which inhibits search and rescue teams to perform their task. Usually, this weather continues on for the next couple of days or so, so search and rescue has to be deferred until then.

4. In most cases, the disappearing occurs near bodies of water. These can be rivers, lakes or even the ocean.

5. The people that go missing are usually very fit sportspersons; or on the contrary, have a slight impairment, whether physically or mentally. As well, children are prone to vanish, as are older people.

The search and rescue process has its typical characteristics as well

1. When search dogs are brought in, they initially pick up a scent, but then loose it. Often, the scent just suddenly vanishes in the middle of a path, and the dogs go crazy, because they can’t understand why it has disappeared.

2. Searches often continue on for several weeks without finding a single trace of the missing person.

3. In many cases, the shoes of the missing person are found. Now shoes seem to play in an important role here. Logically, if someone gets lost in the wilderness, taking off their shoes is the last thing they would probably do. So, whatever is doing this either tells the victim to take off its shoes, or it does it itself. Why, is a total mystery. But then on the contrary, often the shoes are never found. So obviously the shoes are either not wanted and discarded or sought-after and kept.

As stated, in most cases the person is never found, but if they do, the whole circumstances around the discovery are just utterly bizarre.

1. People that have vanished under these strange circumstances and are found alive, tend to be children. However, they usually cannot remember anything, but if they do, they report strange things, like it was day the entire time they were gone (although they had been missing for weeks). A recent case is that of Casey Hathaway, a three-year-old who went missing in January this year while playing in his back yard in North Carolina. He was found alive two days later in the surrounding forest. He claims, a bear looked after him and actually fed him.
Source: https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... 698729002/.
Now this happened in the middle of winter; bears are in hibernation, so they would not be out. And it is not in the nature of a bear to feed and take care of a human. If it had been still looking for food in the winter, it would definitely have eaten the child.

2. When a body is found, it is often several weeks later in a location that was already searched before multiple times! Above all, sometimes the body is just lying in the middle of a path, as if it had been deliberately placed there to be found.

3. Often some of the persons clothes are missing, or the body is not wearing any clothes at all. The clothes are either never to be found or sometimes scattered miles away from the body, either just lying on the ground or neatly folded. There have been cases, where the body is wearing its clothes the wrong way around, as if someone had tried to put them on but did not know how.

4. As mentioned before, the body is most likely not wearing its shoes.

5. When a person is found, it can be right nearby, or within a short distance from where he/she was last seen. Now search teams had already checked that area before but found nothing.

6. On the other extreme, bodies have been found a large distance away from where they went missing. Especially children have been found something like two days later up to 60 miles away from their place of disappearance. But the astounding thing is, the terrain between their place of disappearance and discovery is totally rugged and almost impenetrable with no roads around for miles. It is impossible for a human to travel that distance in such terrain in only two days, let alone children (without shoes on). It can only mean they were transported there somehow. In one case, a child that went missing was spotted by other hikers on top of a mountain peak some 30 min later. When rescuers went to check, the child was gone and never to be found again.

7. Sometimes only small bone fragments are found, or like the upper part of a scull is missing.

8. Boulders and huckleberries seem to play in important role too.

Now I got this information from David Paulides, a former police detective and SWAT member and now a private investigator. He has written several books on this, called the Missing 411 series, documenting about a thousand cases. He has also given many interviews and appears on radio shows. Considering his background, I give him a lot of credibility, and the cases he researches in do in fact have repeating patterns. I just recently read, that a French hiker went missing in southern Germany (Kehlstein). However, search had to be interrupt for two days due to snowstorms. He was eventually found dead three weeks later just off a hiking trail.
I recommend watching Mr Paulides giving an interesting presentation about his cases. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh8Xe1mB6jw&t=2s

He also presents his cluster map of the USA, where disappearances occur most frequently. Apparently, Yosemite and Rainier National Park seem to be active hot spots. These cases, however do not get much coverage in the media. National Park services are not obliged to hold a register of people that go missing on public land. This in itself is very odd. I have a feeling the government knows what is going on, but are covering these cases up as much as possible (due to tourism, mass fear etc).

So what do you think of all this? These strange occurrences makes it very hard to accept that they are just normal hiking accidents. It is obvious that there is some kind of abduction going on. However, it is not possible for human abductors to consistently never leave a single trace of themselves. In fact, these abductions that occur are non-human in nature. I am not going to zoom in onto a specific entity right now, but we have to accept that there are strange things out there, such as invisible predators.

Apparently, these strange cases are not a “modern-day thing”. Mr Paulides has even documented cases like this dating back to the late 19th century. But who knows how long this has actually been going on?
Homer: Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

Dutchy

Re: Disappearances in American National Parks

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:42 pm

Alliens! :lol:
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

ER757

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:57 pm

Lots and lots of reasons people go missing. Won't try to explain all of the scenarios in the OP but here's just a few things that come to mind

Why so many in National Parks? - They usually contain large tracts of wilderness and if someone does wander off-trail it can be nearly impossible to track them down.
Weather turning bad shortly after disappearance - not odd at all, the deteriorating weather likely led to the disappearance in the first place.
Odd behaviors observed when person found - see above about weather. Hypothermia plays nasty tricks on the mind - people are often found with little to no clothing in frigid conditions as the mind numbs to the cold. Heat stroke also scrambles the brain, so again, people without shoes, clothes on backwards etc, not unheard of.
People never being found - some people want to "be lost" - they are trying to leave their current life behind - what better place to disappear than a large roadless area away from civilization?
Finding only bone fragments/body parts - lots of hungry critters out in the woods. If someone's been wandering lost for a few days they are probably weak from hunger and thirst, disoriented and confused. Easy prey for cougar, bear or pack of wolves.
On the case of the little boy in the Carolinas who said a bear fed him, OP mentioned bears would be hibernating in January - probably not in North Carolina. Bears tend not to hibernate in more moderate climates. I see them fairly regularly in the low foothills east of Seattle year-round.

frmrCapCadet

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:35 am

So they tend to be last seen about the time the sun sets. Who wudda thought!
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

DL717

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:22 am

It’s called Darwin Award candidates. Stupid people wanting to experience something without having a freaking clue about what can happen in the wilderness. They see stupid movies like Wild, think they can do it, but don’t realize the person being portrayed in the film was lucky to be alive today and equally stupid. I once did a high altitude climb on a rather popular route and the funniest thing I had ever observed was a bunch of people literally losing their shit on the side of the trail from altitude sickness. Weekend wanna be’s trying to hike around above 12,000 feet without taking a couple of days to acclimate. Flipping idiots, like those ass clowns that fell to their death trying to take a selfie.

As for the alien encounters, if a person crosses a stream, the scent is gone. If they get a heavy downpour, same thing. Then of course there are other animals that will cover that scent. Ever smelled a bear? They smell like ass. It’s like they bathed in skunk juice and ate a pile of shit for dinner. That kind of stench will wreck a dogs ability to find you. As for why people end up miles away? Walking speed is 2-4miles per hour. People will wander 10 miles before knowing they are lost, then they think going the opposite way will get them back to where they came from. When you’re lost the thing to do is stop, but nobody does that so they get into even deeper trouble. They just keep walking, they wander around at night because it’s cooler, then they get delirious and do things like remove clothing, then if they’re lucky they won’t do something stupid like walk off a cliff. A kid? Shit, they’ll follow a squirrel or chase a deer. Hopefully they don’t try and play fetch with a coyote or Teddy Bear time with a grizzly. They do that and that grizzly will drag their ass 60 miles all the while stopping for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you didn’t taste good, they’ll just drag you around thinking you get seasoned up then leave you somewhere when it doesn’t happen.

Finding bone fragments? Well duh. 90% chance that you died and became a meal or you got killed by something hungry.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

johns624

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:47 am

I can't believe that there are "thousands" of missing persons cases associated with National Parks. That sounds as ludicrous as when they used to claim that there were "millions" of missing children. Remember, back in the paper milk carton days with the pictures on them. It turned out that almost all were custody disputes.

slider

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:29 pm

Here's the recipe:

Take inexperienced wannabe outdoorsy types who have a draw to get back to nature or some such thing.
+
Add ignorance and a lack of preparation.
+
Throw in missing bear spray.
+
Go out into a total wilderness such as Yellowstone.
=
Disappear. Get eaten by carnivores.

Not hard to figure out.

DeltaWings
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:40 pm

johns624 wrote:
I can't believe that there are "thousands" of missing persons cases associated with National Parks. That sounds as ludicrous as when they used to claim that there were "millions" of missing children. Remember, back in the paper milk carton days with the pictures on them. It turned out that almost all were custody disputes.

If you consider that every year 750'000 people are missing in the USA alone (official stats), sure a large amount of that will occur in national parks

frmrCapCadet

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:53 pm

Our local newspapers cover missing persons in parks/wilderness pretty thoroughly. Solo hiking is not recommended, but there are many adventurers who do so. I have done a fair amount of this myself, although not into real wilderness. There are risks, and there are also rewards. Truly missing - in Washington State not more than a few a year, maybe less.

But!! for years missing prostitutes were not investigated, and when attention was paid to the problem there turned out to be dozens. Canada and the US are now paying attention to missing Native American women. Ann Ruhl estimated there could be 50 serial killers active throughout the US at any given time IIRC.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

johns624

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:54 pm

DeltaWings wrote:

If you consider that every year 750'000 people are missing in the USA alone (official stats), sure a large amount of that will occur in national parks
But almost all are found in a few days. They aren't permanently missing.

Tugger

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:03 pm

DeltaWings wrote:
every year 750'000 people are missing in the USA alone (official stats),

Link?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

DeltaWings
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:23 pm

Tugger wrote:
DeltaWings wrote:
every year 750'000 people are missing in the USA alone (official stats),

Link?

Tugg

I have the stats for 2009 (and 2010), where about 720'000 went missing. But it will be in that range for 2018.

https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/about ... s-for-2010

readytotaxi

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:50 pm

Perhaps a cross reference with the IRS of the people who stopped paying taxes but not certified dead would be interesting.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

KentB27

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:44 pm

I think you're majorly overthinking this.

-Lots of people disappear when the sun is setting because they bit off more than they could chew and got in over their heads. It gets dark, they aren't prepared for it, they can't find their way back, or they get cold and get hypothermia.

-Lots of people disappear when the weather turns bad because they get lost and cant find their way back, or again, they get cold and get hypothermia.

-The unusual locations of bodies being found and/or unusual body parts being found could be from carnivores eating someone who was easy prey.

-And yes, most of the people who go missing are fit, active, and outdoorsy types because they're the ones who tend to be cocky enough and in good enough shape to get lost in the first place. An elderly or a morbidly obese person probably won't venture very far away from their car or a paved road.

It's not rocket science.

Redd

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:38 am

DL717 wrote:
It’s called Darwin Award candidates. Stupid people wanting to experience something without having a freaking clue about what can happen in the wilderness. They see stupid movies like Wild,

Bingo, I'd say that covers the majority of the disappearances. People have no idea how dangerous nature can be for those who lack knowledge and preparation. Take Grouse Mountain in Vancouver for example, it's about 15 minutes from the centre of the city and several people are lost there every year. Sometimes their bodies are found within 1 or 2 kilometres from the chalet on top of the mountain. People fail to realize how brutal nature is, how easy it is to get lost, how quickly the weather can change, not to mention how easy it is to have an accident, to become dehydrated, disoriented, and HAVE NO MOBILE PHONE COVERAGE.

Adults go missing because they're unprepared, children go missing due to their parents being irresponsible. No aliens, bermuda triangles or any of that.

fr8mech

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:14 am

DeltaWings wrote:
I have the stats for 2009 (and 2010), where about 720'000 went missing. But it will be in that range for 2018.

I assume you read a little further and found that 703,316 of those 719,558 missing persons reports were cleared or canceled.

That leaves 16,242 missing person.

That would be .005% (if my math is right) of the US population in 2010
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

blueflyer

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:43 pm

DeltaWings wrote:
1. The person that vanishes is usually hiking on their own.
2. The vanishing usually occurs between 4 and 6 pm.
3. Shortly after the disappearance, the weather often turns bad, which inhibits search and rescue teams to perform their task. Usually, this weather continues on for the next couple of days or so, so search and rescue has to be deferred until then.
4. In most cases, the disappearing occurs near bodies of water. These can be rivers, lakes or even the ocean.

So in other words, people who go missing in broad daylight and in weather favorable for rescue operations are found unless they've drowned... Why does this make me think of a certain commercial for a hotel booking site.

johns624

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:51 pm

fr8mech wrote:
DeltaWings wrote:

I assume you read a little further and found that 703,316 of those 719,558 missing persons reports were cleared or canceled.

There you go, using facts to deflate the paranoid conspiracy theorists wet dreams.

DeltaWings
Topic Author

Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:26 am

johns624 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
DeltaWings wrote:

There you go, using facts to deflate the paranoid conspiracy theorists wet dreams.

So that leaves 16'242 as an unsignificant number? :lol:

DeltaWings
Topic Author

Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:26 am

However, the fact of placing the body in the middle of a path to found is still very odd...

Also, sometimes bones are found in areas that are known not have have any large predators.

DeltaWings
Topic Author

Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:38 am

KentB27 wrote:
I think you're majorly overthinking this.

-Lots of people disappear when the sun is setting because they bit off more than they could chew and got in over their heads. It gets dark, they aren't prepared for it, they can't find their way back, or they get cold and get hypothermia.

-Lots of people disappear when the weather turns bad because they get lost and cant find their way back, or again, they get cold and get hypothermia.

-The unusual locations of bodies being found and/or unusual body parts being found could be from carnivores eating someone who was easy prey.

-And yes, most of the people who go missing are fit, active, and outdoorsy types because they're the ones who tend to be cocky enough and in good enough shape to get lost in the first place. An elderly or a morbidly obese person probably won't venture very far away from their car or a paved road.

It's not rocket science.

That's weird, why doesn't a private detective come to the same conclusion? :?

fr8mech

Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:01 am

DeltaWings wrote:

By itself, 16,242 is a large number. In context, it is .005% of the population. So, yes, 16,292 tends to lose it’s significance
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

johns624

Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:27 am

DeltaWings wrote:
johns624 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

That is the total number missing. EVERYWHERE. Any missing in National Parks is an insignificant number.

KentB27

Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:28 pm

DeltaWings wrote:

Maybe they suck at their job?

johns624

Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:34 pm

KentB27 wrote:
DeltaWings wrote:

Maybe they suck at their job?
...or they want to drum up business...

vikkyvik

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:30 pm

DeltaWings wrote:
That's weird, why doesn't a private detective come to the same conclusion?

Probably because:

DeltaWings wrote:
He has written several books on this

...and would like to sell them.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".