apodino
Topic Author

2019 Tour de France

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:10 pm

Not sure how many cycling fans are in here, but the 2019 Tour de France is underway. Julian Alaphillipe of Quick Step currently dons the Yellow Jersey, and Peter Sagan of Bora donning the Green Jersey. So far its been mostly flat stages with the Team Time Trial in there. Tomorrow is stage six, which is the first mountain stage and the first stage where we will see which of the GC contenders are here to play, and who might not. Questions to be answered in the next two and a half weeks.

1. Can Team Ineos continue its Tour dominance even without Chris Froome? Ineos always has one of the strongest teams as far as the GC goes, and they leave no stone unturned. Gerrant Thomas is the defending champion with this team, plus they have an amazing young Columbian Rider in Egan Barnal who is going to also be a threat to the GC, and may actually be a lock to win the White Jersey for young rider. And who is going to be the leader of the team with two GC contenders?

2. How is Movistar going to fare? Movistar on paper is a very strong squad, but often times the team tactics never pan out, and they have a lot of good riders at the top who all often seem to be more for themselves. That being said, this course appears to be as good a course as you can get for a guy like Nairo Quintana? Can he put up a good result here with lots of mountain and altitude stages and only one ITT?

3. What is the final margin of victory for Peter Sagan in the Points competition going to be? I don't think anyone doubts he wins green if he makes it to Paris, period.

4. Jakob Fuglsang had a nasty crash in stage one and was written off by a lot of experts including Lance Armstrong. But his form has looked great since. Does he have enough to make a serious run at the GC?

5. Who will the be the other GC contenders? Adam Yates looks strong, and Steven Krujswijck is in a good position now after his team Jumbo-Visma won the team time trial convincingly. Thibeault Pinot is another name to keep an eye on?

6. How long does Alaphillipe stay in Yellow? My guess will be he keeps it tomorrow, then drops it in the Pyrenees.

All things being said, my money right now would have to be on Egan Barnal. I don't think Thomas is going to have quite the form he had last year, but Ineos is still the team to beat. But Ineos also has a target on their back, and no Chris Froome. Stay tuned.

Aesma

Re: 2019 Tour de France

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:39 am

I'm not a huge cycling fan but I watch the TDF (and nothing else).

I won't try to predict anything for the yellow jersey at this stage, Sagan seems in good form for sure.

Lots of praise for Alaphillipe from other riders, but I have to wonder if it's all sincere, or if some are not trying to win favors with the French public.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Dutchy

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:53 am

The Tour has been good for the Netherlands, the first Dutchman in the Yellow Jersey in 30odd years. Too bad two front runners couldn't be in this edition. It makes for a more open edition, I guess, should be more interesting though.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

apodino
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:44 pm

Aesma wrote:
I'm not a huge cycling fan but I watch the TDF (and nothing else).

I won't try to predict anything for the yellow jersey at this stage, Sagan seems in good form for sure.

Lots of praise for Alaphillipe from other riders, but I have to wonder if it's all sincere, or if some are not trying to win favors with the French public.

That could be true, but most of the commentators covering the race say Alaphilipe is a very nice guy.

What a stage 6 that was today. Guilio Ciconne takes over the Yellow Jersey by six seconds over Alaphilipe, who put in a gutsy performance today. A breakaway got too far away from the field, and two riders lasted all the way to the La Planche des Belles Filles. Although Gerraint Thomas had a good stage finish by beating most of the GC contenders, Team Ineos did show signs of weakness today, losing a key climber early and also with Egan Barnel fading a bit at the end. Movistar looked really good early, but then Mikel Landa attacked too early and lost time. Nairo Quintana finished pretty close to the GC contenders, but didn't gain any ground that they lost during the Team Time Trial. Rigoberto Uran is now the clear leader of Education First with Tejay Van Garderen faultering. Roman Bardet had a tough stage. Thilbeau Pinot is in really good shape as is Jakob Fugelsang.

I think this will be the last stage for a while we see significant movement atop the GC. The question is, on some of the flatter stages coming up, does Alaphilipe try for a time bonus that would give him the yellow jersey back? Otherwise, Ciccone probably keeps it until Toulouse and stage 11, with Stage 12 in the Pyrenees beginning the real GC battles. Stage 8 and 9 are no doozies though. Stage 7 tomorrow is probably a sprinters stage, and look for guys like Sagan and Matthews to challenge for the stage win.

Tugger

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:23 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Too bad two front runners couldn't be in this edition.

Why couldn't they participate?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Dutchy

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:42 pm

Tugger wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Tugg

Dumoulin had an accident in the Giro d'Italia earlier this year, his knee still isn't heelt right yet.

apodino
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:06 pm

Tugger wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Tugg

Froome had a real nasty crash earlier this year that he was lucky to survive.

cpd

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:16 pm

Being on the other side of the world, the time zones are terrible- not staying up or recording it.

I’m training a lot before I go over to France myself.

TT up the Col d’Izoard, and a stage finish on Alpe d’Huez for me.

Dutchy

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:24 pm

cpd wrote:
Being on the other side of the world, the time zones are terrible- not staying up or recording it.

I’m training a lot before I go over to France myself.

TT up the Col d’Izoard, and a stage finish on Alpe d’Huez for me.

Very nice, when will you be there?

cpd

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:56 pm

6 weeks.

I’m frantically dragging my FTP up. I was crashed out a bit earlier and my speed vanished quickly. Now getting it back. :)

DL717

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:46 am

As a cyclist I just haven’t recovered from the doping mess enough to have any interest other than popping off a 50-mile ride on a weekend with some friends. The pro peloton remains one big question mark for me. Figure out a way to test for something, they just find another way around it. The speed fell off after the scandal, but it still seems a bit fast. Never-mind it hasn’t fallen below the period where doping became a real problem in the he mid 1990s. They get back to below 22mph avg speed on a consistent basis I might buy that things are normal. Flirting with 25mph every year is a bit questionable.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Aesma

Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:37 pm

Well training has improved now, nutrition, high altitude training. But I won't bet on everyone being clean.

Seeing a lot of leaders in difficulty yesterday is a good sign.

They were all stopped passing the line, that was impressive !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

cpd

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:05 pm

DL717 wrote:
As a cyclist I just haven’t recovered from the doping mess enough to have any interest other than popping off a 50-mile ride on a weekend with some friends. The pro peloton remains one big question mark for me. Figure out a way to test for something, they just find another way around it. The speed fell off after the scandal, but it still seems a bit fast. Never-mind it hasn’t fallen below the period where doping became a real problem in the he mid 1990s. They get back to below 22mph avg speed on a consistent basis I might buy that things are normal. Flirting with 25mph every year is a bit questionable.

The bikes now are very fast things. I can compare a 2012 bike (trek madone) with a 2014 top of the line Giant TCR (basically exactly as they’d use at the TDF that year) and finally, those two compared against the super rare and super expensive Canyon Ultimate CF Evo (which I own), and then a Cervelo P5 which is exactly as Garmin Sharp had them (I got the frame from that team and built it up exactly as they had them).

The Canyon (which is illegal weight by 400g, even on alloy wheels) is nearly as fast as the P5, and it completely demolishes the other two (which are both 11 speed Dura Ace 9000. It’s the best bike I’ve ever ridden. On lighter carbon wheels it is extremely illegal.

The Canyon has a dual sided Shimano FC-R9100-P power meter crankset, something amazing that wasn’t available years ago. You can train really accurately now with great software like TrainingPeaks and brilliant smart trainers like Tacx Neo.

How accurate? I’ve recovered from injuries after being crashed out about 1 month ago and have built up to quite decent fitness.

Redd

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:30 pm

DL717 wrote:

I've heard from many ''experts'' that cycling is the least doped sport, it just happens to be the most in the spotlight when it comes to doping.

The past 15 years have seen a literal revolution in cycling science in pursuit of marginal gains, diet, aerodynamics (rider position, bikes, wheels, etc....) rolling resistance, watt savings found in just about every nook and cranny on the bike as well. Virtually none of that existed 15-20 years ago, that 3mph average is easily explainable once you understand how the sport has progressed in that time. I don't think it's too far off to claim that more progress has been achieved in the sport of cycling in the past 15 years, than in the previous 50 years before that.

Chris Froome had a controversial TUE last season, which is pretty much legal doping and I'm guessing that is as far as it goes at the moment, for the most part.

apodino
Topic Author

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:49 pm

Doping is always going to be a black cloud over the sport, but testing is so sophisticated today that its hard to fool tests. Team Ineos has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to doping I believe.

That being said, stage 7 is exactly what I thought it would be, a sprinters stage. Dylan Groenewegen won the big sprint at the end, with no noteworthy changes in the overall classifications. Peter Sagan maintained his points lead in the Green Jersey competition, and also in an amusing clip that aired during the race, he solved a Rubiks Cube in 23 seconds while on the transfer bus after stage 6.

The only real thing of note from Stage 7 is both Movistar and UAE had brain farts when their riders came back to the team cars for feeding, and forgot that the intermediate sprint was taking place, which left a lot of GC contenders, including Dan Martin and Nairo Quintana off the back. They were able to get back to the peloton safely, but given that they had to expend a little extra unnecessary energy on a flat stage, will they pay for it in the Mountain Stages later in the tour.

apodino
Topic Author

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:09 pm

Wow...stage 8 was another great stage. Thomas de Gendt had a great ride and broke away early and held it all the way to the finish line. Julian Alaphilipe is back in Yellow after a third place finish in the stage. Thibeault Pinot gained about 20 seconds on the rest of the GC contenders by going with Alaphilipe and finishing second. All the noteworthy GC contenders finished in the same group along with the two green jersey leaders, Michael Matthews and Peter Sagan. This has been one of the most entertaining tours I have ever watched, and we haven't even gotten to the Pyrenees or the Alps yet.

Things of note from Stage 8

1. Team Ineos was involved in a crash at the bottom of the last climb that included Gerraint Thomas. Great job by team Ineos to get him back into the main peloton and Thomas even participated in the final sprint to the finish. The question here is, how much did team Ineos spend here, and will they pay for it later in the tour. Yesterday we said that about Movistar and UAE, but I think this was a way more difficult predicament for Ineos.

2. Egan Bernal was the one Ineos rider not involved in the crash, and did not spend nearly as much energy as Thomas. When we get to the mountain stages, who will be the stronger Ineos rider?

3. Alaphilipe made another brilliant ride to reclaim the yellow jersey. Given its bastille day tomorrow and that he is a very well liked individual, this will be a very popular man in France going forward. Tommorrow is another hilly stage, but I predict he keeps Yellow to the Pyrenees.

4. The polka dot jersey competition has tightened significantly. This could change hands tomorrow, but with flat stages after that, will likely remain status quo until the Pyrenees.

5. Great ride by both Sagan and Matthews. Sagan will win the points title if he makes it to Paris. But Matthews is there in case Sagan does falter somehow.

6. Pinot has positioned himself well in the GC competition and could well be a serious threat later in the tour.

7. Unlike yesterday, Movistar and UAE did very little work today, and that will bode well for Dan Martin, Nairo Quintana, and Mikel Landa going forward.

Tommorrow is another hilly stage with a Cat 1 climb very early in the stage. We could see another GC shakeup, and look for a breakaway group to succeed and win the stage. That being said, if Sagan and Matthews make it over the first climb still with the pack, given the profile of the rest of the stage, my money is on either of them to win the stage. The rest of the pure sprinters, who were not a factor today, wont be again tomorrow and the next stage where they can shine is stage 10 on Monday.

Aesma

Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:56 pm

The breakaway won in the end, with Daryl Impey the winner of his first tour stage.

apodino
Topic Author

Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:30 am

Aesma wrote:
The breakaway won in the end, with Daryl Impey the winner of his first tour stage.

The breakaway got away early and never came back. It was a little bit of a battle, but none of the GC contenders were in that breakaway. They all finished safely in the main peloton and had a bit of an easier day. The breakaway and the battle was entertaining as far as the stage goes in any case though.

Tomorrow is a much flatter stage that will be a typical flat stage in the tour. A couple of guys will break out early and get caught inside 20 km to go, and the stage will be won by a sprinter. Nothing will happen GC wise until Stage 12 which is the first stage in the Pyrenees, but that being said I would expect Alaphilipe to stay in yellow until Stage 13, which is the only Individual time trial of this years tour.

That being said, 6 of the last 9 stages (not including stage 21, which is nothing more than a ceremonial ride on the Champs Elysees, and a chance for any sprinters left in the race to win a stage.) are mountain stages, and one of the other ones is the ITT, and one is a hilly stage. So after stage 11, the sprinters will only have a couple of more stages left to shine, where as every other remaining stage will affect the GC. IMO stage 12 is when the Tour will really begin.

apodino
Topic Author

Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:02 pm

Well, stage 10 proved me wrong again. I said nothing would happen GC wise and boy was I wrong. A few of the GC contenders took the wrong side of a roundabout nearly 20 miles from the finish line, and with crosswinds kicking up, teams Quick Step and Ineos quickly went on the attack and in a stage that looked going into the race as a flat boring stage, turned out to really shake up the GC. The only thing I was right about was a sprinter did win the race, in this case it was Wout van Aert of Belgium and team Jumbo-Visma who won the sprint in a group that featured the green jersey contenders.

Thoughts going into the rest day.

1. Team Ineos as always was in the right place at the right time. Thomas and Bernal are 2 and 3 in the GC, and depending on how stage 12 in the Pyrenees goes, I see Thomas getting back in yellow after the ITT at stage 13. That being said, aside from last year, the knock on Thomas is that he cracks in the later stages of the Tour, and with all the mountain stages backloaded this year, we shall see. Bernal is set up for the GC if Thomas falters and I think the course suits a guy like him.

2. Nairo Quintana is now the clear leader of Movistar after Landa had a mechanical issue and was dropped by the lead group. Aside from the ITT, the rest of the course suits a guy like him, and he is only 48 seconds behind Thomas. He is not a good time trialer but if he stays close in the ITT, he will be a contender going forward.

3. Keep an eye on Dan Martin. He is a darkhorse but he is only 57 seconds behind Thomas and he is an attacking style rider who never quits. UAE has not done much work this tour either.

4. Bad days for Pinot, Uran, and Fugelsang mean they will need some help to get back into the race.

5. Steven Krujswijk and Adam Yates are two others to keep an eye on. Team Jumbo-Visma has had the best tour so far of any team, and Mitchelton-Scott is another strong tream as well.

6. Alaphilipe is still in Yellow. Can Thomas make up enough time in the ITT to snatch it from him? He may be able to hold it past then. I am not convinced Alaphilipe can contend for the GC, but Quick Step is a very good team.

That is all. Tomorrow is the rest day, so Stage 11 is on Wednesday. It is the last flat stage for a while, so look for a sprinter to win. Also of note to A.Net people is stage 11 ends in Toulouse, which is a very well known city to aviation nerds as its the home of Airbus.

Dieuwer

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:05 pm

Dutchy wrote:
The Tour has been good for the Netherlands, the first Dutchman in the Yellow Jersey in 30odd years. Too bad two front runners couldn't be in this edition. It makes for a more open edition, I guess, should be more interesting though.

One started in Utrecht!

Dutchy

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:12 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

One started in Utrecht!

that was the best one, saw them 3 times passing by. 8-)

apodino
Topic Author

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:42 pm

Today was what I expected it to be. A flat uneventful stage that led to a sprint finish, and Caleb Ewen winning that sprint just edging out Dylan Groenewgen. Very little happened GC wise, but I have a feeling that will change over the next few days. A few notes from today.

1. Nairo Quintana was involved in a crash, but got back and finished in the main group. However, it was interesting to see that his teammates didn't help him by giving him a new bike right away as he waited for the team car. It came out after the race that he is leaving Movistar after the Tour to go to a new team, and much of Movistar is leaving. What does this do for the team dynamics going into the Mountains, where a good team is essential, and right now Ineos and Jumbo-Visma have that team chemistry and Movistar's is questionable. I have no doubt if Quintana had a better team around him both chemistry and manager wise he would do better.

2. Michael Matthews has all but conceded the Green Jersey to Peter Sagan. He didn't even compete for the intermediate spring or the stage win, instead serving as a leadout man for a teammate.

3. After 11 stages of this years tour no body has one more than one stage.

4 Tommorrow is the first stage in the Pyrenees. There are no HC climbs tomorrow but there are a couple of Category 1s however the stage finishes on a descent. The stage is taylor made for Alaphilipe who still wears yellow. He could gain time on the field tomorrow, but I suspect he loses some in the time trial on Friday, not to mention the harder stages coming up.

apodino
Topic Author

Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:59 pm

Ok...I missed updating after Stage 12 yesterday. It was a mountain stage where Simon Yates got his first ever stage win, but nothing happened GC wise.

The Time Trial today produced a surprise. Julian Alaphilipe, who everyone expected to lose time and possibly his yellow jersey today, not only didn't lose time, he won the stage and gained 14 seconds on Geraint Thomas. This puts team Ineos in a weird spot as usually on a stage like tomorrow they would be leading and would be setting a punishing pace that doesn't allow for many attacks. However, if Alaphilipe continues to ride like he has been, Ineos is going to have to try something. So here are my stories going into to the Col du Tourmalet on stage 14 tomorrow.

1. Ineos is clearly a team that is way more built for the mountains than Quick Step. But Alaphillipe does have a teammate who is fourth in the GC, and maybe one other climber. They will help Alaphilipe. Alaphilipe can also just ride comfortably behind the Ineos train and let them do the work. The question though is how long can he keep this up?

2. Steven Kruijswyijk is only 48 seconds behind Thomas, and Jumbo-Visma has a very good team even though Wout Van Aert went out today after a horrific crash late. If Ineos and Quick Step focus on each other too much tactically, can this team put Kruijswijk in a position to put on yellow himself?

3. After losing time on the time trial, look for Movistar to be very aggressive tomorrow and try to put Nairo Quintana closer to the top of the GC.

4. Rigoberto Uran had a good TT as well today. He has to be kicking himself for the Crosswind issue on stage 10. I would look for EF to be aggressive tomorrow as well.

5. Dan Martin will also be aggressive and attack as he usually does.

I would not look for the leaders to react just yet to a Movistar, EF, or UAE attack tomorrow on the Col du Tourmalet. However, if they aren't careful some teams can creep back into the GC. The Col du Tourmalet, a classic Tour climb, is the first HC climb of the tour. After tomorrow, we will have a better idea of who the players are and who the pretenders are. It will be fun to watch.

Aesma

Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:19 pm

Wow, what a finish !

Alaphilippe better than all the "leaders", what's going on ?

scbriml

Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:34 pm

Aesma wrote:
Wow, what a finish !

Alaphilippe better than all the "leaders", what's going on ?

Hold the front pages, a Frenchman May win the TdF!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.