ArchGuy1
Topic Author

London Eye Success

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:44 pm

What exactly has made the London Eye in London such a huge success with up to 4 million paying riders a year and the most popular paid tourist attraction in the United Kingdom.

stl07

Re: London Eye Success

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:10 am

The view is actually nice and historical with a blend of modern.
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

jovelson

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:07 am

What he said. You can see various sights throughout London.

BlueberryWheats

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:08 am

Same idea as going to the top of the Rockefeller Centre or Empire State Building, good view of an amazing city.

But over here our landmarks are mainly older and not quite as tall as NYC, the surrounding buildings aren't quite as tall either, so we can get away with the wheel. Although we do have The Shard, which I've not visited but I've heard that's a great view.

Sidenote: the Emirates Air Line cable car in the East End gives great views of the Thames, the o2 and traffic from LCY, I'd recommend it.

flipdewaf

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:43 pm

Accessible, reasonably priced, reliable, bookable, well advertised (a landmark in its own right, a silhouette of London is not complete without it now) great views of London, enclosed so not affected by the weather, can be private if needed, safe, clean, quiet, its got seats.

Fred

Kiwirob

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:48 pm

I wouldn’t call it reasonably priced, it’s pretty expensive for a family of 5.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:52 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
Accessible, reasonably priced, reliable, bookable, well advertised (a landmark in its own right, a silhouette of London is not complete without it now) great views of London, enclosed so not affected by the weather, can be private if needed, safe, clean, quiet, its got seats.

Fred

The London Eye is indeed one of London's most iconic landmarks, alongside Big Ben, St.Paul's Cathedral, Tower Bridge, the Tower of London, the British Museum, Natural History Museum, and Westminster Abbey.

Dieuwer

Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:26 am

I went up the BA pole in Brighton and wasn't impressed. As a result, I decided against the London Eye.
But all of you say the London Eye is definitely worth it?

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:31 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
Same idea as going to the top of the Rockefeller Centre or Empire State Building, good view of an amazing city.

But over here our landmarks are mainly older and not quite as tall as NYC, the surrounding buildings aren't quite as tall either, so we can get away with the wheel. Although we do have The Shard, which I've not visited but I've heard that's a great view.

Sidenote: the Emirates Air Line cable car in the East End gives great views of the Thames, the o2 and traffic from LCY, I'd recommend it.

Also the same idea as going up the Eiffel Tower.

Ken777

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:48 am

My wife and I took the London Eye a few years ago and we were very impressed - and happily recommend it to friends. Not only are the views fantastic (on a CLEAR day you can see forever) but the design, engineering efforts, cleanliness and obviously solid maintenance all come together to provide a very enjoyable "ride".

One thing that struck me about they Eye is that it is the result of a government that made the decision to invest in something special. We don't' see that much in the US - our politicians are too afraid to achieve anything special these days. Half a century since an American walked on the moon and what else has been done. There was a story on TV the other night about CHina's investment in high speed rail. China started 10 years ago and today has more high speed rail the the rest of the countries together. We can't get any thing started, are years behind in infrastructure and have a decrepit air traffic control. Third world countries embarrass us with their airports and roads. The London Eye is a great example of an achievement of government, All we have if a Government run by Trump - when he's not watching FOX or flying in the $250,000 an hour to one of his golf courses.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:09 am

Ken777 wrote:
My wife and I took the London Eye a few years ago and we were very impressed - and happily recommend it to friends. Not only are the views fantastic (on a CLEAR day you can see forever) but the design, engineering efforts, cleanliness and obviously solid maintenance all come together to provide a very enjoyable "ride".

One thing that struck me about they Eye is that it is the result of a government that made the decision to invest in something special. We don't' see that much in the US - our politicians are too afraid to achieve anything special these days. Half a century since an American walked on the moon and what else has been done. There was a story on TV the other night about CHina's investment in high speed rail. China started 10 years ago and today has more high speed rail the the rest of the countries together. We can't get any thing started, are years behind in infrastructure and have a decrepit air traffic control. Third world countries embarrass us with their airports and roads. The London Eye is a great example of an achievement of government, All we have if a Government run by Trump - when he's not watching FOX or flying in the $250,000 an hour to one of his golf courses.

The London Eye is run by Merlin Entertainment and husband and wife architects Julia Barfield and David Marks were the visionaries of the Eye.