TWA772LR
Topic Author

Running

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:14 am

...sucks and I don't see how people do it for pleasure. I was a swimmer growing up and did a stint of track in middle school and decided to stick with swimming which I actually did well in.

But I have started to do it because i need to lose weight/get faster so I can join the Air Force so I'm making the best of it!

In addition I bike (which I do enjoy) and have flirted on and off with weights.

What do y'all do for exercise?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

BN747

Re: Running

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:49 am

TWA772LR wrote:

Because you'll look great in your 50s & 60s instead of appearing like someone inches away from life support.

Plus it does wonders for your sex life. If you are married w kids, less incentive to work out. If you're single, there is no excuse not to try and stay inshape for a million reasons - like Health!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

fr8mech

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:55 am

TWA772LR wrote:
...sucks and I don't see how people do it for pleasure.

Agreed, but you can basically do it anywhere. It grows on you. I started listening to podcasts instead of music, and that made it better.

TWA772LR wrote:
But I have started to do it because i need to lose weight/get faster so I can join the Air Force so I'm making the best of it!

I started running for the same reason, along with overall health. Guess what? I gained weight. About 15 pounds.

You need to balance your calories in against your calories out. You gotta count them. Sorry. You'll get faster as you get lighter.

TWA772LR wrote:
In addition I bike (which I do enjoy) and have flirted on and off with weights.

Cross training is a must. I started some light lifting about the same time I started watching the calories.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Airstud

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:15 am

fr8mech wrote:
I started running for the same reason, along with overall health. Guess what? I gained weight. About 15 pounds.

Yeah no; see, what actually happened was you lost fifty pounds, see.

I don't really have an opinion on running; I have to participate in it because ever since about 1986 it's the only way a man can wear short shorts.
Pancakes are delicious.

fr8mech

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:25 am

Airstud wrote:
Yeah no; see, what actually happened was you lost fifty pounds, see.

Yes, I lost about 50 pounds, but in the beginning I gained weight. It's actually pretty simple. We call it math.

Seriously, I was overweight and started running for weight loss and overall health. My weight started to go up, even though I was able to continually increase my distance. I finally realized that I was putting in about 3000-3500 calories a day, and all my running wasn't keeping up with the calories. I reduced my caloric intake to 2000-2200 net calories, along with the exercise, and started dropping weight. I went from 210 to 160 in a period of about 6 months, or 1 pound a week.

I'm up to 170 now, but I'm not running nearly as much.

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:33 am

fr8mech wrote:
[ I finally realized that I was putting in about 3000-3500 calories a day, and all my running wasn't keeping up with the calories. I reduced my caloric intake to 2000-2200 net calories, along with the exercise, and started dropping weight. I went from 210 to 160 in a period of about 6 months, or 1 pound a week.

I'm up to 170 now, but I'm not running nearly as much.

3000 - 3500 cal a day at 210lbs? Wow, no offense, but you must have had to shit like a Clydesdale!

I do 100% agree about the intake/expenditure thing though. Fad diets have been a thing since as long as I can remember. But it really is that simple. Burn more than you take in.

210 to 160 is a pretty good drop for that time though. In a similar time frame, I dropped from 285 to about 230, though that was almost all cal mgmt. I did have a substantial amount of walking, but AIUI, that's only effective when you do that for at least an hour at a time; something to do with the specific mode of calorie burn.

These days I finally have a for real gym membership, so I'm able to cross train a good deal more than ever. That seems to help, but I still can't bring myself to do any running that isn't a high speed short range dash. It is what it is, I suppose.

The podcast thing sounds interesting. At the gym, I bring a lot of high speed junk music turned up to about 11. For whatever reason, that seems to work well for that purpose.
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

Redd

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:47 am

The better you get, the more fun it is. Just like any sport, when you're not good at it, it's not much fun. When you can run up hills and kill some serious intervals it becomes great fun. I also think that the setting is really important, I like to run late evening or early morning when there aren't many people around when jogging in the city, and I have a really scenic route which gives some spectacular views of Warsaw at night. When I jog in the mornings it's in some really beautiful parks with palaces and small lakes, one park has peacocks just walking around.

Sports like running and cycling require a certain level of masochism, if you don't enjoy a certain level of pain you'll never really enjoy the sport.

I have too much ADHD for meditation, so I use jogging to clear my head. Gym 2-3 times per week, callisthenics 2-3 times per week, road cycling training rides about 250km per week, jogging only 1-2 times per week during the summer because I'd rather do cycling. I'm a bit of a fitness junkie. I've run a bunch of half marathons and one full marathon. Doing my second marathon this September.

fr8mech

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:30 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:

3000 - 3500 cal a day at 210lbs? Wow, no offense, but you must have had to shit like a Clydesdale!

The thing is, since I was running and training for various 10K's and Half's, the stuff I was taking in was healthy. Salads, lean meats, fruits & veggies, etc. Just a whole lot of it. The more I exercised, the more I ate.

I came to the realization that something was wrong when I was on my way to the mall to get bigger pants. I had run 10 miles that morning, training for my next half. Think about the absurdity of that. I ran 10 miles, probably in the 9:15 range, yet I was going up a size in pants. So, I let loose my left brain, and let it work on the problem. The answer was simple: math.

Redd wrote:
, I like to run late evening or early morning when there aren't many people around when jogging in the city, and I have a really scenic route which gives some spectacular views of Warsaw at night. When I jog in the mornings it's in some really beautiful parks with palaces and small lakes, one park has peacocks just walking around.

I love running in the pre-dawn gloom, especially in the winter. Parks, downtown, waterfront...really doesn't matter. Really helps clear the head. I just have to be careful and avoid the geese on the waterfront.

mmo

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:55 am

Used to run at least 5 miles/day up until about 6 years ago. Now I have two new hips, two new knees and need a whole lot of foot surgery. Don't have quite the same enthusiasm now as I did years ago!!
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

LittleSprocket

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:54 am

Exercise...I started doing a program called Centr this past February and have gone from a waste size of 42 down to 37. I just stopped that to let some muscles heal so now I am running 3 days a week and lifting weights 3 days a week. If running isn’t your thing, check out an app called C25CK or something like that. It’s short 30 minute sessions designed to get you from the couch to running 5k’s.

Redd

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:02 pm

mmo wrote:
Used to run at least 5 miles/day up until about 6 years ago. Now I have two new hips, two new knees and need a whole lot of foot surgery. Don't have quite the same enthusiasm now as I did years ago!!

SOrry to hear..,.. Were any of your health issues related to running?

mmo

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:38 pm

Tneh all stemmed from running. In addition, I played lacrosse and hockey (ice) which didn't help things at all.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:33 pm

Running hurts my knees, so I try to do lower impact exercises. Bought myself an elliptical machine & once in a while I go about it for an hour or so.

A few years back I took Herbalife and spent 1 hour on a treadmill walking briskly every day for 3 months & lost 40 pounds - which over the years I regained...sigh.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

seat64k

Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:12 am

TWA772LR wrote:
...sucks and I don't see how people do it for pleasure. I was a swimmer growing up and did a stint of track in middle school and decided to stick with swimming which I actually did well in.

It sucks when you're unfit. But once your cardio fitness is sufficient, it's quite enjoyable. I do find I get bored though, so if I'm just jogging for distance, I put on podcasts to keep my mind occupied. On tempo runs I don't have that problem - mind's occupied with not dying :)

TWA772LR wrote:

Lift & run.

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Running hurts my knees, so I try to do lower impact exercises. Bought myself an elliptical machine & once in a while I go about it for an hour or so.

Unless you have an existing knee condition, and provided you're not ramping up too fast, it really shouldn't hurt your knees at all.

General comments on form, since this is a prevalent issue: I highly highly highly recommend learning proper foot strike. Almost everyone I see jogging recreationally have far too much hit on their heels. This is exacerbated by thick soft soles on running shoes making it possible to land on the heel without instant pain and suffering. Also, it's worth noting that proper/optimal foot strike is different depending on how fast you're going.

So two main things to take care of:
- At jogging pace, you should be landing mid-foot, with slightly more of the weight (about 2/3rds) on the ball and 1/3rd on the heel. This feels unnatural to most people and takes some deliberate practise and attention, but your knees will thank you.
- We should be leaning slightly forward. Just enough that if you were standing still, you would lose your balance forward. This changes two things: 2) It causes foot strike to happen closer to your centre of mass, rather than out in front of you, which helps with foot strike, and 2) it dramatically improves running efficiency, i.e. you'll maintain tempo easier.

Another thing for folks getting into running: Don't overdo it. Your joints need time to recover from each run and build strength to be able to carry you without injury. Look up Couch 2 5k - it's an excellent beginner program, with appropriate progression and sufficient rest time built in.

With proper form its absolutely possible to run while moderately overweight. I ran the London Marathon with BMI of 40-something, and with no knee hurt at all.

NoTime

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:17 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

Run. That's pretty much it. I played football, basketball and ran track in school - but the only one of those that you can consistently do as a busy adult is run... so that's what I do.

I typically run four or five times per week, and about 3 to 4 miles each time. (More if I'm training for a race.)

I think the years and miles have taken a toll on my legs, but it's better than the alternative.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:30 pm

seat64k wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

It sucks when you're unfit. But once your cardio fitness is sufficient, it's quite enjoyable. I do find I get bored though, so if I'm just jogging for distance, I put on podcasts to keep my mind occupied. On tempo runs I don't have that problem - mind's occupied with not dying :)

TWA772LR wrote:

Lift & run.

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Unless you have an existing knee condition, and provided you're not ramping up too fast, it really shouldn't hurt your knees at all.

General comments on form, since this is a prevalent issue: I highly highly highly recommend learning proper foot strike. Almost everyone I see jogging recreationally have far too much hit on their heels. This is exacerbated by thick soft soles on running shoes making it possible to land on the heel without instant pain and suffering. Also, it's worth noting that proper/optimal foot strike is different depending on how fast you're going.

So two main things to take care of:
- At jogging pace, you should be landing mid-foot, with slightly more of the weight (about 2/3rds) on the ball and 1/3rd on the heel. This feels unnatural to most people and takes some deliberate practise and attention, but your knees will thank you.
- We should be leaning slightly forward. Just enough that if you were standing still, you would lose your balance forward. This changes two things: 2) It causes foot strike to happen closer to your centre of mass, rather than out in front of you, which helps with foot strike, and 2) it dramatically improves running efficiency, i.e. you'll maintain tempo easier.

Another thing for folks getting into running: Don't overdo it. Your joints need time to recover from each run and build strength to be able to carry you without injury. Look up Couch 2 5k - it's an excellent beginner program, with appropriate progression and sufficient rest time built in.

With proper form its absolutely possible to run while moderately overweight. I ran the London Marathon with BMI of 40-something, and with no knee hurt at all.

Nice post. I prefer High Intensity Intervals. So enjoy sprinting. Made the switch from heel to toe landing some years ago. Sprinting sounds dangerous, but because it typically involves only upwards of a mile of running and a mile of walking it does not seem hard on knees at all. I do a combination of 100 and 200 meter sprints. Also jump roping and moderately heavy weights. (about half of what I did in my 60s) After a few injuries my new goal is no more of them. I also found a good sports physical therapist. Standard PTs are not what you want if you are hyper active per your age group.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

seat64k

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:18 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Nice post. I prefer High Intensity Intervals. So enjoy sprinting. Made the switch from heel to toe landing some years ago. Sprinting sounds dangerous, but because it typically involves only upwards of a mile of running and a mile of walking it does not seem hard on knees at all. I do a combination of 100 and 200 meter sprints. Also jump roping and moderately heavy weights. (about half of what I did in my 60s) After a few injuries my new goal is no more of them. I also found a good sports physical therapist. Standard PTs are not what you want if you are hyper active per your age group.

I like HIIT too - great way to build speed and burn up a mountain of calories :)

On the other end of the spectrum (as far as impact goes, anyway), there's trail running. I want to drop a few more kg before I attempt it, but I live in a city surrounded by hills with a couple of hundred trails, and I love hiking and running, so it seems a missed opportunity if I never combine the two.

Sprinting should actually be even easier on the knees. You ideally land much more forward, and instead of stepping down, you're kinda flicking the ground away with the ball of your foot. See this slow-mo:

https://youtu.be/PH-3cHxXAK0?t=43

Notice how his heel never touches the ground, and hist foot only strikes the ground when it's almost directly under him and his knee is already bent. His leg only extends in front of him to build up momentum in the backwards movement.

fr8mech

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:50 am

seat64k wrote:
On the other end of the spectrum (as far as impact goes, anyway), there's trail running. I want to drop a few more kg before I attempt it, but I live in a city surrounded by hills with a couple of hundred trails, and I love hiking and running, so it seems a missed opportunity if I never combine the two.

I had been trail running for about 6 months before I got sick a couple of years ago. I loved every bit of it. You really have to "engage" with the run, to make sure you don't hurt yourself, and in the case of the trails I was running, to make sure I knew where the heck I was.

I look forward to getting back to that.