Page 1 of 2

Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:08 am
by ArchGuy1
Do you think that Saudi Arabia will become a big tourist destination for leisure tourism in the next few years like the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Oman, Jordan, Qatar, or Turkey as they are loosening tourist visa requirements and allowing movie theaters now for example.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:19 am
by stl07
Not personally, I don't think so as they have quite a reputation for themselves. They are certainly trying, though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeddah_Tower

Russia is extremely historic but most tourists skip out on Russia for other European destinations instead, for similar reasons. And Russia's reputation is 100x better than Saudi's

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:20 am
by Aaron747
No - not enough workaday Saudis speak English well enough to serve tourists and the only really dramatic beach scenery they have is in the NW quarter near the Gulf of Aqaba.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:23 am
by ArchGuy1
stl07 wrote:
Not personally, I don't think so as they have quite a reputation for themselves. They are certainly trying, though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeddah_Tower

Russia is extremely historic but most tourists skip out on Russia for other European destinations instead, for similar reasons. And Russia's reputation is 100x better than Saudi's

Russia today is popular with tourists around the world and sees just as many foreign tourists as Britain.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:34 am
by alfa164
ArchGuy1 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Not personally, I don't think so as they have quite a reputation for themselves. They are certainly trying, though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeddah_Tower
Russia is extremely historic but most tourists skip out on Russia for other European destinations instead, for similar reasons. And Russia's reputation is 100x better than Saudi's

Russia today is popular with tourists around the world and sees just as many foreign tourists as Britain.


Huh? That is an interesting claim - but is not supported by facts.

In 2017, Russia had approximately 24 million foreign tourists, almost half of whom came from either Ukraine or Kazakhstan; Great Britain - despite being one-seventieth the size - drew almost 40 million. Three-quarters of travel spending in Russia is domestic tourism.

https://www.statista.com/topics/4803/tr ... in-russia/

https://www.visitbritain.org/visitor-economy-facts

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:33 am
by einsteinboricua
The only way Saudi Arabia can become a booming tourist destination (akin to the UAE) is if they plan a city (probably along the Red Sea) that's meant exclusively for tourism. No one, except those with proper visas, can leave the city unless by flight to Riyadh or Jeddah to connect on a flight (unless Saudia decides to make that city an internaitonal hub as well).

In a land where medieval rules are the norm, it will be a tough sell to attract tourists to a place where alcohol is banned, women must be modestly dressed and can't be alone, and even the slightest rule breaking could mean a harsh punishment. They'll have to turn a blind-eye to this area and take it out of reach from the religious police (in other words, a Saudi version of the One China, Two Systems system).

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:33 am
by BestWestern
Saudi is already one of the worlds largest tourist destinations- thanks to religious tourism.

The visa regime, one of the most challenging globally, is what is stopping other tourism.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:42 am
by Francoflier
I spent a couple of days there, not as a tourist, and I can't fathom why I would ever go back there on my own dime.
If anything, the wealthier locals are the ones constantly travelling abroad to escape their own suffocating rules.

But I guess some people are interested in witnessing first hand how it feels being in a dystopian and archaic society, so maybe them.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:56 am
by TheFlyingDisk
What is there to see in Saudi Arabia for non-Muslims?

Heck I'm a devout Muslim and even I don't see the need or desire to vacation in Saudi Arabia.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:36 am
by steveinbc
Saudi is a corrupt and despotic regime controlled by a regal dictatorship. There's a significant amount of 'tourism' for the Muslim pilgrimages. But I see no real interest beyond that. Westerners cannot swim in mixed sex pools, have an. Alcoholic drink, and it's not s foodie destination. So what's left? Not my cup tea.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:29 am
by mad99
They could advertise it as ‘never have a bad hair day’ for woman. Just throw on the bin liner and go.

The other attraction is ‘Saudi drifting’ google it!

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:33 am
by stl07
How about you look down 5 threads where it says Saudi Arabia beheads 37 and make the decision by yourself

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:43 am
by TTailedTiger
I have no use for such backwards nations. Who wants to go to a country where you are in constant fear?

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:10 am
by TheFlyingDisk
TTailedTiger wrote:
Who wants to go to a country where you are in constant fear?


Funny you should say that. I remember the first time I traveled to America solo, I kept getting told that I was brave to do so, including by my colleague's sister who has lived in America for years.

stl07 wrote:
How about you look down 5 threads where it says Saudi Arabia beheads 37 and make the decision by yourself


Are you going there to commit terrorism {the reason to those beheadings)? Surely I would think that the same thing is going to occur in America if you do harm while visiting there right? Especially in Texas...

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:21 am
by Dutchy
judging from the reactions here, it is a big NO. The most interesting places for tourist are off limit for non-Moslims and given the strict Islamic rules, it will not be a main tourist attraction any time soon. Too many things to choose from.

Interesting though, Saudi Arabia is planning to build a "Free" city/region in the North East of the country. Mainly for business, but who knows, in ten years time it might be a tourist destination on its own.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:27 am
by TTailedTiger
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
Who wants to go to a country where you are in constant fear?


Funny you should say that. I remember the first time I traveled to America solo, I kept getting told that I was brave to do so, including by my colleague's sister who has lived in America for years.

stl07 wrote:
How about you look down 5 threads where it says Saudi Arabia beheads 37 and make the decision by yourself


Are you going there to commit terrorism {the reason to those beheadings)? Surely I would think that the same thing is going to occur in America if you do harm while visiting there right? Especially in Texas...


Hardly. Terrorism would be a federal crime. Even if you carried it out in Texas you would quickly be extradited to a federal facility. Then you would be given attorneys and a fair trial. And if convicted maybe they will put you to sleep in 20 years.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:16 am
by stl07
They also beheaded someone for ripping up a Koran if I remember correctly. Not something I would do if I were there as I actually respect other cultures but not the place I would go on vacation to

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:37 am
by B777LRF
What does KSA have on offer which may attract the average tourist? Nothing, absolutely nothing, is the answer.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:36 am
by zkojq
I honestly cannot for the life of me think of a country that I would less like to visit than Saudi Arabia. Even North Korea or Burkina Faso would be much, much preferable (heck I'd probably jump at the chance to visit both of those places).

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:41 am
by BestWestern
I’ve been to Jeddah and it was a nice city. I’ve been to a lot worse. As a non Muslim I would love to go to Mecca, but that’s not allowed.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:07 pm
by Redd
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Are you going there to commit terrorism {the reason to those beheadings)? Surely I would think that the same thing is going to occur in America if you do harm while visiting there right? Especially in Texas...



Did you just try to justify the most brutal, ruthless and extremist regime's murderous acts?

If I was going to travel down the rabbit hole, I'd visit North Korean, all of the crazy, none of the religion.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:54 pm
by L410Turbolet
B777LRF wrote:
What does KSA have on offer which may attract the average tourist? Nothing, absolutely nothing, is the answer.


What does Qatar have on offer which may attract the average tourist?

I don't see a reason why they couldn't replicate Dubai's polished-turd-marketing-schtick-masterpiece as well. Just build a bunch of shopping malls and skyscrapers in the desert and pay some of the so called celebrities to keep telling people it's cool and trendy to be there.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:38 pm
by cranberrysaus
Maybe once they stop murdering journalists

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:01 pm
by Aaron747
L410Turbolet wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
What does KSA have on offer which may attract the average tourist? Nothing, absolutely nothing, is the answer.


What does Qatar have on offer which may attract the average tourist?

I don't see a reason why they couldn't replicate Dubai's polished-turd-marketing-schtick-masterpiece as well. Just build a bunch of shopping malls and skyscrapers in the desert and pay some of the so called celebrities to keep telling people it's cool and trendy to be there.


Dubai was admittedly very basic and boring but managed to find a couple nice things about it on a 36-hour layover to CPT - weekday beaches with nobody on them and 28 degree Gulf waters, and massive chicken shwarma for $5 in any shopping center.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:44 pm
by GalaxyFlyer
“And this morning, we’ll visit Chop Chop Square!”, says the tourist guide.


GF

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:56 pm
by SCQ83
BestWestern wrote:
I’ve been to Jeddah and it was a nice city. I’ve been to a lot worse. As a non Muslim I would love to go to Mecca, but that’s not allowed.


Saudi can make a nice 1/2-week destination for an experienced traveller that is looking for something a bit exotic. The old city of Jeddah (there are also quite a few private beaches where people is mixed if that is your thing; also Red Sea diving), Riyadh (the old town of Dariyah and some museums and stuff to understand the country; and there is plenty of desert around the city to do the usual Dubai stuff in the dunes with the four-wheel drive cars), Al Ula (the Saudi Petra), Abha / Khamis Mushait (the closest thing you can get today to the typical Yemeni villages without being in a war zone) or Ta'if (an oasis city) and nearby Al-Waha crater. Saudi is a big country so it has natural attractions (other than the desert) that UAE or Qatar do not have.

As for risk, every time I have been to KSA I felt freer than in Dubai. In Dubai you are another Western among thousands so you can be the one that is sent to prison for whatever stupid reason so you become a "cautionary tale" for other expats/tourists.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47847740
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... g-mans-hip

Since KSA has such a bad reputation and there are comparatively fewer Westerners than in UAE/QA, as a Westerner you are somehow overlooked unless you do something really idiotic.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:03 pm
by stl07
But you can also do red sea diving from Israel and Jordan, 2 much MUCH better tourist destinations, both of which are on my bucket list of places to see. SA would be a hard sell over those two countries

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:14 pm
by MaverickM11
They're certainly trying to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neom

But this about sums up the entire effort:
"In late 2018, after the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman admitted that “No one will invest [in the project] for years.”[29]

Advisers to Neom, including Daniel L. Doctoroff[30] and architect Norman Foster, were reported to have distanced themselves from the project and the "toxic" Saudi Crown Prince.[31]

"

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:16 pm
by SCQ83
stl07 wrote:
But you can also do red sea diving from Israel and Jordan, 2 much MUCH better tourist destinations, both of which are on my bucket list of places to see. SA would be a hard sell over those two countries


I just said Red Sea diving is one of the attractions. As for Israel and Jordan, their Red Sea coasts are minimal (not to mention Eilat must be the most overpriced place on earth; even Israelis go to Egypt or Jordan). Probably the biggest competitor is Egypt anyway, which has a long coast.

I don't see that crazy thinking Saudi Arabia as a winter tourism destination in the same way as Ras el Khaimah tries to attract European tourists (and there are charter flights from Europe to RKT). I guess it will all depend on the price range and what they finally do in those new cities they plan to build up in the Red Sea coast.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:18 pm
by stl07
SCQ83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
But you can also do red sea diving from Israel and Jordan, 2 much MUCH better tourist destinations, both of which are on my bucket list of places to see. SA would be a hard sell over those two countries


I just said Red Sea diving is one of the attractions. As for Israel and Jordan, their Red Sea coasts are minimal (not to mention Eilat must be the most overpriced place on earth; even Israelis go to Egypt or Jordan). Probably the biggest competitor is Egypt anyway, which has a long coast.

I don't see that crazy thinking Saudi Arabia as a winter tourism destination in the same way as Ras el Khaimah tries to attract European tourists (and there are charter flights from Europe to RKT). I guess it will all depend on the price range and what they finally do in those new cities they plan to build up in the Red Sea coast.

They will have the world's largest skyscraper so that should attract in some tourists

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:34 pm
by SCQ83
stl07 wrote:
They will have the world's largest skyscraper so that should attract in some tourists


Jeddah Tower is on hold.

Btw I noticed that Neom Bay Airport (IATA: NUM) is already operating with 2-weekly Saudia flights to Riyadh (bookable in their website). Crazy. I reckon the main reason is to take workers in and out of the site. In Google Maps it is the only thing built around. So there is no city but there is an airport. What else can anyone ask for? :D

MaverickM11 wrote:
Advisers to Neom, including Daniel L. Doctoroff and architect Norman Foster, were reported to have distanced themselves from the project and the "toxic" Saudi Crown Prince.


Lol. Foster built most (if not all) of the new high-speed train stations in Saudi and the famous Al-Faisaliah Center in Riyadh. Even in their website they show a new project for 2022 in Makkah https://www.fosterandpartners.com/proje ... velopment/ Btw those Makkah projects next to the Kaaba are highly controversial because they literally razed an old Turkish fort to make place for those towers, hotels and malls, and it is religion made commercial to the extreme. But Foster does not have any issue with that (not to mention he cannot even visit his own project). So this company has been linked to Saudi for at least the last 20 years (when women could not drive, etc.) and where certainly the country was not freer. Give me a break.

They probably didn't get along for whatever reason (money, vision) so they put the excuse on the human rights stuff.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:04 pm
by bennett123
One site I tend to look at is http://www.aircraftspotting.uk

Firstly, because I am a spotter/photographer.

Secondly, I tend to view the attitude of Security to people taking an interest in aircraft as an indicator of the authorities openness at a more general level.

The UAE gets a page, mostly about Dubai. The rest of the Middle East zilch.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:11 pm
by SCQ83
bennett123 wrote:
One site I tend to look at is http://www.aircraftspotting.uk

Firstly, because I am a spotter/photographer.

Secondly, I tend to view the attitude of Security to people taking an interest in aircraft as an indicator of the authorities openness at a more general level.

The UAE gets a page, mostly about Dubai. The rest of the Middle East zilch.


Are you for real? There are no specific pages about Argentina, Chile, Israel, Jordan, Morocco, Luxembourg or Montenegro. I assume based on your logic those must be horrible places to visit (nevertheless to live). Let's go on holiday to Nigeria or let's move to China and Russia (they have their own pages so they must be very open and democratic countries).

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:33 pm
by BestWestern
The visa process for KSA is a joke.

I’m looking forward to returning to see the process of the high speed rail and the new Jeddah airport.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:56 pm
by cpd
TTailedTiger wrote:
I have no use for such backwards nations. Who wants to go to a country where you are in constant fear?


I’d be in fear in the USA if being caught in a mass shooting. I have no interest or intention to go to Saudi Arabia either, but you have to be realistic, all countries have their problems.

As for someone else commenting on no alcohol, that’s fine with me too. Alcohol and getting smashed isn’t needed for having a nice holiday.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:31 pm
by Aesma
Personally I'm not interested in the UAE already, I hate malls, I could visit a couple of museums and that's it. I would add to the discussion, however, that the UAE gets lots of tourism from countries like Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, "islamic tourism" from people who want to escape their countries, so that says a lot about the appeal of Saudi Arabia as a tourism destination.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:50 pm
by GalaxyFlyer
Alcohol and getting smashed


You do realize that one doesn’t have to lead to the other?

“The dipsomaniac and the abstainer are not only both mistaken, but they both make the same mistake. They both regard wine as a drug and not as a drink.”
G.K. Chesterton (1874-1936)


GF

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:02 pm
by ArchGuy1
steveinbc wrote:
Saudi is a corrupt and despotic regime controlled by a regal dictatorship. There's a significant amount of 'tourism' for the Muslim pilgrimages. But I see no real interest beyond that. Westerners cannot swim in mixed sex pools, have an. Alcoholic drink, and it's not s foodie destination. So what's left? Not my cup tea.

Despite it's totalitarian nature that included exterminating Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, and other undesirables, Nazi Germany was a big tourist destination before World War 2 began and even held the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:09 pm
by cpd
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Alcohol and getting smashed


You do realize that one doesn’t have to lead to the other?

“The dipsomaniac and the abstainer are not only both mistaken, but they both make the same mistake. They both regard wine as a drug and not as a drink.”
G.K. Chesterton (1874-1936)


GF


I didn’t directly say that. You conjectured that I did.

Some people however cannot help themselves and it’s a real letdown when you have drag them back to the hotel (while trying to stop them getting into trouble). That’s not fun.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:25 pm
by KentB27
I don't see it happening. There's not a whole lot you can do in Saudi Arabia unless you're a Muslim. They aren't really that friendly towards Westerners and almost no one speaks English or any other Western languages there so they wouldn't be very well equipped to deal with non-Arabic tourists.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:06 am
by TheFlyingDisk
Redd wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Are you going there to commit terrorism {the reason to those beheadings)? Surely I would think that the same thing is going to occur in America if you do harm while visiting there right? Especially in Texas...


Did you just try to justify the most brutal, ruthless and extremist regime's murderous acts?


What's the difference between death by beheading & death by lethal injections? Both are capital punishments.

The West needs to stop with the hypocrisy. There are plenty of reasons why Saudi Arabia isn't going to be a tourist destination, but their laws, religion & customs aren't one of them.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:08 am
by GalaxyFlyer
cpd wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Alcohol and getting smashed


You do realize that one doesn’t have to lead to the other?

“The dipsomaniac and the abstainer are not only both mistaken, but they both make the same mistake. They both regard wine as a drug and not as a drink.”
G.K. Chesterton (1874-1936)


GF


I didn’t directly say that. You conjectured that I did.

Some people however cannot help themselves and it’s a real letdown when you have drag them back to the hotel (while trying to stop them getting into trouble). That’s not fun.


Here’s the full sentence, no conjecture on my part. Note your use of the conjunction “and”.


Alcohol and getting smashed isn’t needed for having a nice holiday.


Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:27 am
by prebennorholm
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Despite it's totalitarian nature that included exterminating Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, and other undesirables, Nazi Germany was a big tourist destination before World War 2 began and even held the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin.

Factually wrong. Nazi Germany was not a big tourist destination. At best it was a train transit country for tourists going to Switzerland and Italy.

1936 Berlin Olympics was a failure decided before nazi regime took over, and besides, it wasn't until the 60'es that Olympics became major international tourist attractions.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:20 am
by Jetty
I can’t imagine many western toerists going to SA anytime soon, it probably has the worst image of any country on earth.

Redd wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Are you going there to commit terrorism {the reason to those beheadings)? Surely I would think that the same thing is going to occur in America if you do harm while visiting there right? Especially in Texas...



Did you just try to justify the most brutal, ruthless and extremist regime's murderous acts?

If I was going to travel down the rabbit hole, I'd visit North Korean, all of the crazy, none of the religion.

From the perspective of a Muslim it might not be so extreme at all because much of what westerners would consider brutal is based on Islamic teachings.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:39 am
by Redd
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Redd wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Are you going there to commit terrorism {the reason to those beheadings)? Surely I would think that the same thing is going to occur in America if you do harm while visiting there right? Especially in Texas...


Did you just try to justify the most brutal, ruthless and extremist regime's murderous acts?


What's the difference between death by beheading & death by lethal injections? Both are capital punishments.

The West needs to stop with the hypocrisy. There are plenty of reasons why Saudi Arabia isn't going to be a tourist destination, but their laws, religion & customs aren't one of them.



Their laws, religion and customs are exactly why they will never become a tourist destination.

Banned: Taking pictures of buildings
Banned: Sausage sandwiches
Banned: Going to the cinema
Banned: Learning a musical instrument at school (or playing one in public)
Banned: Going to the gym if you're a woman
Banned: Worshipping any religion other than Islam
Banned: Having a drink on the aeroplane en route to Saudi Arabia
Banned: The mixing of sexes at malls and restaurants
Banned: Selling or wearing anything red on Valentine’s Day
Banned: Women travelling without permission
Banned: Harry Potter & Pokemon
Banned: Public Gatherings
Banned: The names ‘Ben’ and ‘Linda’ - Can't enter if that's your name
Banned: Alcohol


Yeah, but essentially your right, just like the USA. :rotfl:

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:06 am
by L410Turbolet
Jetty wrote:
I can’t imagine many western toerists going to SA anytime soon, it probably has the worst image of any country on earth.

You've got plenty of western fools going to North Korea, which lets their own people die by the millions from famine just to play with nukes. All Saudi Arabia needs to do is turn its bad reputation into a "forbidden apple" image.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:22 am
by Redd
Jetty wrote:
I can’t imagine many western toerists going to SA anytime soon, it probably has the worst image of any country on earth.

Redd wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Are you going there to commit terrorism {the reason to those beheadings)? Surely I would think that the same thing is going to occur in America if you do harm while visiting there right? Especially in Texas...



Did you just try to justify the most brutal, ruthless and extremist regime's murderous acts?

If I was going to travel down the rabbit hole, I'd visit North Korean, all of the crazy, none of the religion.

From the perspective of a Muslim it might not be so extreme at all because much of what westerners would consider brutal is based on Islamic teachings.


If someone grows up in that environment it may well be normal. A sort of lifetime Stockholm syndrome.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:17 am
by bgm
TTailedTiger wrote:
I have no use for such backwards nations. Who wants to go to a country where you are in constant fear?


Why are you bringing up the US? This topic is about Saudi Arabia.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:38 pm
by MaverickM11
SCQ83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
They will have the world's largest skyscraper so that should attract in some tourists


Jeddah Tower is on hold.

Btw I noticed that Neom Bay Airport (IATA: NUM) is already operating with 2-weekly Saudia flights to Riyadh (bookable in their website). Crazy. I reckon the main reason is to take workers in and out of the site. In Google Maps it is the only thing built around. So there is no city but there is an airport. What else can anyone ask for? :D

MaverickM11 wrote:
Advisers to Neom, including Daniel L. Doctoroff and architect Norman Foster, were reported to have distanced themselves from the project and the "toxic" Saudi Crown Prince.


Lol. Foster built most (if not all) of the new high-speed train stations in Saudi and the famous Al-Faisaliah Center in Riyadh. Even in their website they show a new project for 2022 in Makkah https://www.fosterandpartners.com/proje ... velopment/ Btw those Makkah projects next to the Kaaba are highly controversial because they literally razed an old Turkish fort to make place for those towers, hotels and malls, and it is religion made commercial to the extreme. But Foster does not have any issue with that (not to mention he cannot even visit his own project). So this company has been linked to Saudi for at least the last 20 years (when women could not drive, etc.) and where certainly the country was not freer. Give me a break.

They probably didn't get along for whatever reason (money, vision) so they put the excuse on the human rights stuff.

Certainly possible, but it highlights how radioactive Saudi Arabia is for just about any tourists other than those in the immediate region, and even then they'd probably sooner high tail it over to BEY/BAH/DXB than spend any time in Saudi Arabia willingly.

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:00 am
by Super80Fan
There is no reason to go to Saudi Arabia besides the religious stuff, and since they forbid non-Muslims from going anywhere near them there is not going to be tourism there.