1989worstyear
Topic Author

Question for Every Floridian

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:19 am

Regarding the story below, and assuming no force/coercion really was involved, I have a burning question: is a 16 or 17 year old an adult in your state, or is there an automatic exemption for powerful middle-aged hedge fund managers regardless of the age difference when it comes to sex crimes?

http://www.northescambia.com/2019/04/2- ... igh-school

NOTE: this thread will likely disappear by tomorrow, but I really want to know the "logic" behind how FL's sex crime laws are enforced in light of the Epstein debacle.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Question for Every Floridian

Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:39 pm

If anyone has a lot of money or political power, they can get off easy or make the law go away. Just as Epstein, Clinton, Prince Andrew.

NM has the easy laws which is why Epstein set up residence there.

Tugger

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:05 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
If anyone has a lot of money or political power, they can get off easy or make the law go away. Just as Epstein, Clinton, Prince Andrew.

NM has the easy laws which is why Epstein set up residence there.

You forgot several others. Why the careful limited names?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:16 am

They’re in the headlines and have been for years. Also Alan Dershowitz and Bob Maxwell’s daughter. Clinton is reported to be a frequent flyer on the Lolita Express even losing his security detail. I’d think people should be most interested in politicians as they are most hypocritical and have power to make/enforce the law.

1989worstyear
Topic Author

Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:50 am

I guess my point is - if a 16 year old is charged with a felony in Florida for having sex with a classmate only a year younger (again, assuming no coercion), a man in his 50s and 60s, with more than enough evidence showing a history of repeat sexual abuse against females between the ages of 13-15, should be spending nearly the rest of his life in jail.

At least Acosta is gone. Maybe he can rent out his forehead to the 737 MAX storage effort.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

afcjets

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:20 pm

IMO law enforcement should never be involved in consensual sex between high school students, and is why some states have gap laws, where even if the guy is 18 or technically an adult, he cannot be charged with statutory rape if his girlfriend is within X years age of him. It's absurd to think two high school sweethearts who are both seniors where the bf turns 18 first could be charged with both rape and a sex crime with a minor in some states when he is having sex with his gf who could potentially be only days younger than him.