caliboy93
Topic Author

NYC Power Outage

Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:30 am

So a large swath of NYC, including Times Square, experienced a blackout. Incidentally this happened on the same day of the 1977 blackout.

stl07

Re: NYC Power Outage

Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:12 am

Boohoo, the power went out and affected the lives of the precious New Yorkers, therefore, it should be on national news. Grow a pair, the power goes out here in STL all the time because of our storms
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

einsteinboricua

Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:45 am

stl07 wrote:
Grow a pair, the power goes out here in STL all the time because of our storms

Power going out because of weather is expected. Power going out because of grid failure is not.

Power going out to a small section of a city with less than 400k residents (or a metro area with just shy of 2M) during a storm is insignificant. Power going out to a small section of a city with over 8M residents (or a metro area just shy of 20M) is more significant.

How fast can service be restored when the cause is unknown is different from where damage is evident.

But do not fret: the Midwest is due to bake in a heatwave for a couple of days next weekend (it's actually the whole of the country east of the Rockies, but the Midwest in particular will be the warmest). Maybe you'll have your outage due to high demand from the grid and the news will cover how Missourians are being admitted to the hospital because of heat stroke.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

BartSimpson

Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:49 am

stl07 wrote:
Boohoo, the power went out and affected the lives of the precious New Yorkers, therefore, it should be on national news. Grow a pair, the power goes out here in STL all the time because of our storms

You must be very proud of your local power failures, it seems. I can't even remember the last time I experienced a power failure in my life (except for planned 2-hour cutoffs in Cape Town a few years ago). It must be 30 years ago, or so.

Aaron747

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:08 am

BartSimpson wrote:
stl07 wrote:

You must be very proud of your local power failures, it seems. I can't even remember the last time I experienced a power failure in my life (except for planned 2-hour cutoffs in Cape Town a few years ago). It must be 30 years ago, or so.

Same. It’s amazing how frequently blackouts occur in the US compared to other parts of the developed world. They are nearly unheard of in Japan, ROK, Germany etc, and these places are not without their share of natural disasters.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Redd

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:32 am

I remember the 2003 Northeast Coast blackout which lasted about 2 days, it was amazing to see the effect it had on everything and everyone, was like something out of an end of days film without the violence :D

stl07 wrote:

That's some serious contempt you have against New Yorkers.....

N14AZ

Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:30 am

I suggest they put some extra beds in the hospitals in nine months... ;-)

ltbewr

Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:16 am

N14AZ wrote:
I suggest they put some extra beds in the hospitals in nine months... ;-)

Because Saturdays affected a small part of the city that is mainly commercial it is unlikely to literally produce a measurable bump up in the birth rate. Where such higher birth rates have occurred with electrical blackouts have been those in cooler times of the year, people have some time off of work and wanting to keep warm together. Far worse in term of electrical loss will be in Louisiana due to a tropical storm and flooding starting Saturday and continuing into mid-week.

The coincidence of Saturday's blackout in a part of NYC on the same day of the 1977 (which happened on a business weekday) is interesting. Both happened at times of above normal temperatures for several days that put major strain on electrical grids. The 1977 one was triggered by a transformer failure in mid-town Manhattan, about a mile south from the one on Saturday. After the 1977 and more so after the Northeast blackout in August 2003, electrical grids were improved to deal with increased summer demands and to prevent cascading failures, local government can demands businesses and building owners to reduce air conditioning and lighting use. The 1977 one was city wide and slightly beyond. It also had a lot of looting and violence. The 2003 one and Saturdays had negligible amounts of them.

dmg626

Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:00 pm

stl07 wrote:

No one really gives 2 shits about St Louis, New York is another story.

The best part is douchebag Cuomo calling out Deblasio for being on the campaign trail and not in NY when this happened. Didn't know that politicians must stay in their cities 24/7.

frmrCapCadet

Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:25 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Same. It’s amazing how frequently blackouts occur in the US compared to other parts of the developed world. They are nearly unheard of in Japan, ROK, Germany etc, and these places are not without their share of natural disasters.

Huh?
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Pyrex

Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:48 pm

Redd wrote:

Nothing compared to the serious contempt against non-New Yorkers on clear display in this thread. Not surprising at all, considering how, in my extensive experience, New Yorkers are the most bigoted people in the entire U.S.

Anyway, New Yorkers better get ready for these types of blackouts of essential services. Between environmentalists, NIMBYs, construction unions and pandering idiots like Cuomo and his gang, it is basically impossible to even maintain the bare basics infrastructure supporting that hellhole, let alone invest to allow it to support population growth. Certain areas very close to New York already can't get natural gas piped to their buildings, because Cuomo has made it impossible to build new gas pipelines.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Aaron747

Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:00 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:

Huh?

Have you lived abroad? Compared to how often power goes out in the US with a little rough weather or grid failure, other places I named are indeed more reliable.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

frmrCapCadet

Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:05 pm

Like Japan - which was been in major difficulty for years in the past decade.

johns624

Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:18 pm

Pyrex wrote:
Redd wrote:

Nothing compared to the serious contempt against non-New Yorkers on clear display in this thread. Not surprising at all, considering how, in my extensive experience, New Yorkers are the most bigoted people in the entire U.S.

I don't think they're the most bigoted, they are tied with Texans. My wife and I just got back from another foreign cruise and the most obnoxious Americans were from New York and Texas. How do I know that's where they are from? Because they make a point of continuously telling you, even when you don't ask. I even altered Trumps acronym to fit them--MAUA. Make American Ugly Again.
The problem with New Yorkers is they think that the NYC of today holds sway over the rest of the country like it did in the first half of the 20th century.
The problem with Texans is...well, there are too many to list...

Aaron747

Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:19 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Like Japan - which was been in major difficulty for years in the past decade.

Japan has virtually no regular issues with blackouts. A major typhoon hit the center of Osaka last September - knocked out Kansai Airport completely, yet in a metro of 19 million only 200k were without power. There was a gridwide blackout in Hokkaido after last year’s earthquake there, but that was the first time that had happened, not even in 2011’s Tohoku quake.

DocLightning

Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:26 pm

Redd wrote:
I remember the 2003 Northeast Coast blackout which lasted about 2 days, it was amazing to see the effect it had on everything and everyone, was like something out of an end of days film without the violence :D

I was on the very western end of that. It's amazing how unreliable the power is here. When I moved into my house, we had monthly power outages. I was getting ready to take PG&E to small claims court when the outages stopped.

These days it's the internet that wont' stay on.

I will add that NYC is an infrastructural nightmare. It's one of the reasons I left the city. Steam pipe explosions, power outages, malfunctioning public transit, brownouts, gas leaks... they keep building glittering skyscrapers on top of a crumbling infrastructure and I think there is eventually going to be a major disaster related to the city's horrible infrastructure that may leave the city uninhabitable for an extended period.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

frmrCapCadet

Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:57 pm

US infrastructure is in need of about $3 trillion over the next 20 years. About what we spent/will spend on recent middle eastern wars.

Redd

Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:09 pm

DocLightning wrote:
Redd wrote:

I was on the very western end of that. It's amazing how unreliable the power is here. When I moved into my house, we had monthly power outages. I was getting ready to take PG&E to small claims court when the outages stopped.

These days it's the internet that wont' stay on.

I will add that NYC is an infrastructural nightmare. It's one of the reasons I left the city. Steam pipe explosions, power outages, malfunctioning public transit, brownouts, gas leaks... they keep building glittering skyscrapers on top of a crumbling infrastructure and I think there is eventually going to be a major disaster related to the city's horrible infrastructure that may leave the city uninhabitable for an extended period.

I didn't realize it was that bad, I've been the NY a few times as a tourist and it seems a bit rough around the edges, but I didn't have a chance to experience it as a resident. Considering the wealth of NY I'd expect them to be keeping the city in top shape.

Cadet985

Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:05 am

One of my friends was stuck in the subway for two hours! I was just up there a couple days ago — in bad weather — and there were massive delays into and out of Penn Station.

The infrastructure problems in this country are without question. I mean just take Penn Station for example. Busiest train station in the United States (and maybe at one time the world), and the connection to NJ and points south and west is two tracks in a tunnel that’s over a hundred years old. That’s not exactly safe or efficient.

That’s just one example in the U.S.

Marc

slider

Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:56 pm

A blackout in NYC...surprised it doesn't happen more often. The entire infrastructure of that city is literally crumbling. From transportation and subways to power and steam, it's archaic and patched together. There is a real danger when talking about the NE power grid overall and how susceptible it is.

I'm working on a site with some utilities infrastructure that dates back to the early 1970s...NY's is older than that, and more band-aided together. I can't imagine the inefficiency, the nightmare to maintain, or the money required to just maintain operability.

And the contempt for the flyover states in this thread is hilarious. Ignorance unleashed.

AirplaneFixer

Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:32 pm

johns624 wrote:
    AirplaneFixer wrote:
    Sorry, have absolutely no idea what river that is.
    Ever heard of the Mississippi River? And once again, the arch doesn't go over it. You're not showing your superiority, merely your ignorance.

That's great! Again, don't care.

DIRECTFLT

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:13 am

The Official word is that this was not a Cyber Attack. I guess it was mechanical??

Here's a Conspiracy Video about it. It may not be true, but it's an opinion, and we are allowed opinions in this country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n2LrIN9vPw
    Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

DIRECTFLT

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:40 am

Con Ed.... "It wasn't the electric cable failure...that started it all."

"It was the electric cable failure that started it all."

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny ... story.html

It began when a 13,000-volt distribution cable failed at W. 64th St. and West End Ave. about 6:47 p.m. Saturday, the company said in a statement on Monday. But the cable failure was just the beginning of the problem.

A series of relay switches about a block away, at the company’s W. 65th St. substation, should have automatically diverted power around the failed cable, the company says. Those relays failed.
    Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling