smallvoyageur
Topic Author

Fees on assigned seating, now on trains

Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:12 pm

If you are moaning about paying the 5 dollars or so fee to allow to sit wherever on a plane, well now the Italian train company Trenitalia is now going to charging 2 euro seat assignment seat fee for second class passengers if you want a particular seat on any Frecciarossa high-speed rail journey. :twisted:

https://www.corriere.it/economia/consumi/19_luglio_13/frecce-trenitalia-scelta-posto-costa-2-euro-codacons-inaccettabile-14b52134-a591-11e9-9045-dc8a82e7e44b.shtml?refresh_ce-cp

B777LRF

Re: Fees on assigned seating, now on trains

Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:26 pm

Nothing new here, been like that for years on Danish railroads. You buy a ticket for the train separately from a seat reservation. You can buy the former alone, but not the latter. If there are seats available you may use them without having paid for one, so it's bit of a gamble and a question of traveling off-peak, if you want a seat but don't fancy paying for it.
Signature. You just read one.

VSMUT

Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:40 pm

Been like that in Denmark, Germany, Austria and Switzerland for as long as I remember.

SQ22

Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:42 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Been like that in Denmark, Germany, Austria and Switzerland for as long as I remember.

In Germany it was totally normal, some years ago it has been changed for first class. When you buy a first class ticket a reservation is usually included nowadays.

Birdwatching

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:16 am

I don't know in which cave you have been hiding, but your thread is literally (and yes, I'm using this word correctly) at least 150 years late. Paying extra to reserve a seat on a train is almost as old as railroads. Here's a seat reservation (Platzkarte) for a German train from 80 years ago. It cost the passenger 50 Pfennig and reserved them seat 45 in car (carriage) 2, non smoking, from Berlin Lehrter Bahnhof to Hamburg-Altona, to be taken by the time the train pulls out of Berlin or else the reserved seat is up for grabs by other passengers. 50 Rpf converts to about €2,10 in 2019, inflation adjusted.
Similar arrangements have existed in about every region of the world, in any era of rail travel. So I really fail to see the point of your thread.
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

northstardc4m

Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:10 pm

Reserved first class seats and higher being reserved on trains has been common for a very long time as has been said. In fact i don't remember if I've ever traveled unreserved on a train in First on VIA except once when the computers were down, even then everyone pretty much did their assigned seat. And as i recall AMTRAK is all reserved seating on Acela?
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

zkojq

Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:24 pm

B777LRF wrote:
Nothing new here, been like that for years on Danish railroads. You buy a ticket for the train separately from a seat reservation. You can buy the former alone, but not the latter. If there are seats available you may use them without having paid for one, so it's bit of a gamble and a question of traveling off-peak, if you want a seat but don't fancy paying for it.

:checkmark: Had a really nice journey in a reserved seat with DSB last month. Hamburg to Copenhagen is well worth doing on the train (and ferry). Seat reservation was cheap enough.
First to fly the 787-9

N14AZ

Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:12 am

Birdwatching wrote:
Here's a seat reservation (Platzkarte) for a German train from 80 years ago. It cost the passenger 50 Pfennig and reserved them seat 45 in car (carriage) 2, non smoking, from Berlin Lehrter Bahnhof to Hamburg-Altona, to be taken by the time the train pulls out of Berlin or else the reserved seat is up for grabs by other passengers.

Thank you for this historic example. Interesting that at that time the seat had to be taken by the time the train leaves the station. Nowadays you have 15 minutes time (correct me if I am wrong). Although it’s not an issue. I cannot imagine that a passenger would not leave the seat if the person, who has bought the reservation, arrives at his reserved seat later than 15 minutes...

planewasted

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:58 am

Reminds me of when I have payed for at seat but had to stand on a five hour trip because they changed to a smaller train for some reason. I got 50 kronor (~ 5 $) back because that was the price for the seat reservation. State monopoly for the win!

OA260

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:32 am

smallvoyageur wrote:
If you are moaning about paying the 5 dollars or so fee to allow to sit wherever on a plane, well now the Italian train company Trenitalia is now going to charging 2 euro seat assignment seat fee for second class passengers if you want a particular seat on any Frecciarossa high-speed rail journey. :twisted:

https://www.corriere.it/economia/consumi/19_luglio_13/frecce-trenitalia-scelta-posto-costa-2-euro-codacons-inaccettabile-14b52134-a591-11e9-9045-dc8a82e7e44b.shtml?refresh_ce-cp

Yes I discovered that the other day when booking on Trenitalia in First Class. Still €2 is not that bad compared to other train companies that have been charging for years.

tommy1808

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:16 pm

N14AZ wrote:
I cannot imagine that a passenger would not leave the seat if the person, who has bought the reservation, arrives at his reserved seat later than 15 minutes...

Most trains have electronic reservation Displays, they turn of after that time and the seat is "unreserved".
On a crowded train expect to not get a seat that isn't yours anymore. There isn't an excuse to be that late, so folks showing up at that time very likely sat on an reserved seat they liked better, hoping the "owner" doesn't show up, or has the reservation later and there is some overlap, having kept their reservation as backup.
I would vacate my seat for old/disabled/pregnant even if I reserved it, I wouldn't vacate a seat that was reserved 15+ minutes ago.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

tommy1808

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:18 pm

planewasted wrote:
Reminds me of when I have payed for at seat but had to stand on a five hour trip because they changed to a smaller train for some reason. I got 50 kronor (~ 5 $) back because that was the price for the seat reservation. State monopoly for the win!

Would you rather have been disembarked?

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

zakuivcustom

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:56 pm

It's seriously nothing new.

In Japan, Shinkansen (and most Limited Express Train on JR) trains has both "Non-Reserve (Free) Seats" (Which is more or less "First Come, First Serve") and "Reserved Seats" trains, with the latter costing ~500yen (~4.5USD/~4EUR) more. Then you have "Green Class" (similar to train's "First Class" elsewhere in the world) and on a few trains, "Gran Class" (Which is there to replicate the domestic F experience one can get on domestic flights) both costing even more. Hack, some commuter trains has reserve seating cars as well (Particularly useful during rush hour unless you want to be packed in a sardine can for almost an hour).

Similar to European train, under regular non-peak days, you can probably find the seats you want on non-Reserved Seats cars. Not necessarily true during peak hours/days, though.

N14AZ

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:29 pm

N14AZ wrote:
I cannot imagine that a passenger would not leave the seat if the person, who has bought the reservation, arrives at his reserved seat later than 15 minutes...

tommy1808 wrote:
I wouldn't vacate a seat that was reserved 15+ minutes ago.

Well, well. I would. Guess I am too good for this world... :shy: