Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flipdewaf
Topic Author

Things to do in Tasmania

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:55 pm

I'm off to Tasmania from the UK at the end of this week for a 3 week business trip. I traveled there in march for 1 week but didn't have much time for being a tourist.

I will be landing in Launceston on Sunday 21st at about 10am and have a hire car all sorted and I'm due to pick up a colleague at about 4pm. We will be based in Launceston and be working during the week days leaving the hotel at 08:00 and be back at 18:00. We will be free on the weekends (27/28 July and 3/4 August) and really need some inspiration for where to go and what to do. I'm prepared to drive to get to places (2hrs is ok) I'm looking for anything from a gentle stroll around a museum to hurtling headfirst into a ravine on a zipline, I just don't want to be sat in a hotel room for two whole weekends, life is too short for that.

Thanks in advance!

Fred

YokoTsuno

Re: Things to do in Tasmania

Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:19 pm

If you're a foodie.

May sound as strange advice to somebody from the UK, but Cadbury used to have guided tours in their Tasmanian factory. Sampling is so good that you won't be in any need for chocolate anymore for 3 months :D. They also have excellent wine and cheese farms there, include one of these for lunch. You won't be disappointed.

flipdewaf
Topic Author

Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:43 pm

YokoTsuno wrote:
If you're a foodie.

May sound as strange advice to somebody from the UK, but Cadbury used to have guided tours in their Tasmanian factory. Sampling is so good that you won't be in any need for chocolate anymore for 3 months :D. They also have excellent wine and cheese farms there, include one of these for lunch. You won't be disappointed.

I work for a food company :wink2: I will definitely have to check out the tours of the cadbury factory. I had been told to save room in my case for wine but no-one has mentioned cheese yet. I'll do some digging, thankyou.

Fred

Dano1977

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:54 pm

I've been to Tasmania at least 6-7 times.

There is plenty to see and do.

Cradle Mountain
Wine glass bay
Lots of exellent vinyards to sample
Hobart (Mures Fish Restaurant is a must - If you like seafood)
Port Arthur
The Murriels in Sheffield
Freycinet National Park
Gordon River Cruise
A lovely little town called Strahan (Pronounced Strawn)
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

mmo

Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:11 pm

The first thing to do is set your watch back 50 years.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

VapourTrails

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:19 am

flipdewaf wrote:
I'm off to Tasmania from the UK at the end of this week for a 3 week business trip. I traveled there in march for 1 week but didn't have much time for being a tourist.

I will be landing in Launceston on Sunday 21st at about 10am and have a hire car all sorted and I'm due to pick up a colleague at about 4pm. We will be based in Launceston and be working during the week days leaving the hotel at 08:00 and be back at 18:00. We will be free on the weekends (27/28 July and 3/4 August) and really need some inspiration for where to go and what to do. I'm prepared to drive to get to places (2hrs is ok) I'm looking for anything from a gentle stroll around a museum to hurtling headfirst into a ravine on a zipline, I just don't want to be sat in a hotel room for two whole weekends, life is too short for that.

Thanks in advance!

Fred

Hello!

My food suggestions for some winter starter ideas!

Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm http://raspberryfarmcafe.com/
Pancake Parlour, Tasmazia, near Sheffield https://www.tasmazia.com.au/ The lavender ice cream is the best, although maybe not the first choice in winter!
Truffle Farm near Deloraine https://tastruffles.com.au/ Don’t know too much about this one or opening hours though.
Tasmanian Food and Wine Conservatory https://www.delicious.com.au/eat-out/re ... y/sp90qbpl Haven’t been here yet myself, but heard it was very popular and need to book?
Ashgrove Cheese https://www.ashgrovecheese.com.au/

Former local. Feel free to private message me.

Cheers. =

DL717

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:52 am

It’s been a decade and a half, but there was a fish market/restaurant on the pier. Strahan has an enjoyable train ride. We only had three days and wish we’d taken more, but had a jam packed three weeks down there. We drove though the core from Hobart, saw a ton of small towns which was nice.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.