mham001
Topic Author

2020 Corvette Unveiled

Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:38 pm

Engine behind the seat, 0-60 in under 3 seconds, starts at $60,000. GM nailed this one.

No manual transmission available any more but it appears they upped their interior game..

Convertible released as well..not sure I care for it in that color,

At just less than one third the price of a second gen NSX, this remains the great performance value around the world.

casinterest

Re: 2020 Corvette Unveiled

Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:50 pm

The concept art looks a little better than the live image. Not sure if I like it or not.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Tugger

Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:05 pm

It's good and in general I like it. The nit picks I have are probably more personal prefrence than anything.

I generally prefer a more open interior. I will have to sit it one but it appears to be super-"cocoony".
The exterior styling is fine but 'vette's have bean leaning to busier design with lines and scoops and indents etc. I enjoy seeing them return to something like this:

I am sure it can drive better than basically any other car out there.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

mham001
Topic Author

Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:27 pm

Tugger wrote:

I used to ride in the back of my aunt's white '64 convertible before that became illegal. Still my favorite generation.

readytotaxi

Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:04 pm

I do like that new convertable, but the colour needs to be red or yellow.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

vikkyvik

Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:37 pm

It's looking more and more like a Ferrari to my eyes. Kind of losing the any Corvette uniqueness, at least at first glance.

Where I used to be able to identify a Corvette on the road in a millisecond, nowadays it's taking a second look.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

T18

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:55 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
It's looking more and more like a Ferrari to my eyes. Kind of losing the any Corvette uniqueness, at least at first glance.

Where I used to be able to identify a Corvette on the road in a millisecond, nowadays it's taking a second look.

To me, the new C8 looks way less Ferrari than the current C7 does to me. I've never been a Vette guy (I like my sports cars rear engine with a Flat 6) but the C8 from 3/4 of the angles looks very good, the rear dead on is a bit of a mess to me but overall I think its a great looking car and the nose shows a very clear evolution of the corvette looks from the c6 and c7. The current C7 to me looks way too much like a cheaper knock off of the Ferrari TDF or California. Image
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Dutchy

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:04 pm

Only one question: does it corner?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

ltbewr

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:05 pm

To me this new Corvette isn't really one. Corvettes must have a V-8 engine mounted in the front and powering the rear wheels as 'God' intended. As to the interior, since the first ones came out, there has always been a cheapness about them, too much raiding of parts from other models or done cheap to hold the price down.

mham001
Topic Author

Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:35 am

vikkyvik wrote:

It does, probably due to the considerably shorter front end with the mid-engine setup.

ACDC8

Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:05 am

Corvette's stopped being relevant since the C4 debuted.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Francoflier

Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:56 am

Not a big fan of the front end, which screams 'cheap Ferrari knock' off to me, but still a nice looking car.

But then again, there's nothing out there that beats it on value for money terms... not even close. Especially now that it's got a mid mounted engine and decent handling. I'd gladly own one.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Aesma

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:53 am

The Corvette used to be good value, but to me, if I put that kind of money in a car (a used one anyway), I want the engine behind me, and rear wheel drive. Maybe because the only sport I watch is F1. So this new Corvette is clearly on my radar. Problem is, in 5 years when it will be reasonable to buy a used one, such cars might be almost banned from our roads.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:56 am

From this video, you can remove the roof panel from the coupe and put it in the trunk, so it's kind of a targa : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZGCJu2OaAg

Lots of bonus points from me.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:01 am

Actually I just learned Chevrolet is leaving Europe, not enough sales to justify adapting the cars to our market. Too bad.

VTKillarney

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:11 am

I’ve always owned reasonably fast cars but I have never seen the point of owning something this fast unless you have regular access to a track. I prefer to be able to drive a car as it is intended to be driven without losing my license.

wingman

Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:12 pm

I think it will corner. It would be difficult to take that set up and botch the handling dynamics. From the Card & Driver piece they set the Cayman as the benchmark during development and track testing. I'm a fan of the basic elements and love the targa feature. In the 911 that's the most beautiful version to me, albeit the one least fun to drive at speed with the top down (from what I've read). Two things I don't like, the cockpit looks suffocating, both too angled towards the driver and with that massive wall between the driver and passenger. And last the Transformer-like touches on the body. It'd be nice if they offered a bikini wax version that shaved off all the hard corners and blunt edge design elements. I get it many like this kind of thing but the 911, Astons..the Golf R, that's how it's done in my book. There's something elegant about delivering high-end performance in a more subtle package.

northstardc4m

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:50 pm

As a classic Vette fan... its slightly less ugh than the C7 but still doesn't look or feel "Vette" to me. Give me a C2, C3 or a C5 anyday (or even a C4 or C6... if i must) over either. The C8 looks more like a Camaro redesign than a Vette... better yet call it the new Trans-Am, revive that semi-glorious Pontiac model for it.

The Vette is supposed to be a straight line car, not a cornerer... I wish they'd move it back to it's classic ideals and stop trying to be a semi-super car/euro-sport competitior.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Aesma

Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:22 am

The US has already plenty of pony cars with too much power and too little handling, there is no need for one more.

MSPNWA

Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:32 am

The lack of a manual kills it for me. I don't care how good it looks (and it does, I like the Lambo-esqe style), or how it performs. What a waste of a car. I hate how the U.S. has built an anti-manual culture.

cpd

Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:36 am

northstardc4m wrote:
The Vette is supposed to be a straight line car, not a cornerer... I wish they'd move it back to it's classic ideals and stop trying to be a semi-super car/euro-sport competitior.

GM doesn't agree with you. Hence why it became a very successful race car. As for a straight line car, how good in a straight line is a C3 Corvette with barely more than 160hp?

And some Corvettes can hardly manage to go in a straight line without crashing (much like Mustang), witness how many of them seem to spin off the road or crash into things when leaving car-shows.

northstardc4m

Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:47 am

cpd wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:

GM doesn't agree with you. Hence why it became a very successful race car. As for a straight line car, how good in a straight line is a C3 Corvette with barely more than 160hp?

And some Corvettes can hardly manage to go in a straight line without crashing (much like Mustang), witness how many of them seem to spin off the road or crash into things when leaving car-shows.

Unh hun...

Modern GM are idiots.

And the 454 1970 c3 has 460hp from the factory... And it's my dream car... You might wanna know what your talking about before you put up statements like that. If you really want to talk about the low end small blocks ( which bottomed out as one single 1975 165hp model that had to be offered to meet new mid 70s emissions and fuel economy requirements?) you can all you want, but not what I'm taking about.

And yes, it's a straight line speed demon... It's not for dragging around mountain hairpins it's for going straight, flat and fast. If you can't handle one don't drive one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

cpd

Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:07 am

Corvettes today go fast through corners as well as on a straight line.

And the new one will be even more brutal in a straight line when they bring out the more potent versions of it. How much faster does it need to be? 0-300km/h in 9 seconds? 0-100km/h in under 2 seconds? It'll never do that, but the previous model was quite fast and so is this new one.

mham001
Topic Author

Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:31 am

MSPNWA wrote:
I hate how the U.S. has built an anti-manual culture.

Curious what this "anti-manual culture" you speak of? By whom? Truth is, the performance end determined cars are faster without a manual, so that market is gone. DCT's started in Europe. The Japanese pushed CVTs. It's all their fault :). And the basic automatic also got better with nearly identical mileage. Who wants to sit in city traffic pushing a clutch in stop and go? Nobody is buying them.

Manuals died in the 80's when they stopped offering manuals in trucks, I had a hard time with that. But hold on, electrics don't have any shift-able gears so driving is changing even more. That Corvette is thought to be getting some electrification of some kind.

NoTime

Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:42 pm

I've never been much of a fan of the Corvette, but I'm really liking this one...

mham001
Topic Author

Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:05 pm

Oh my, the 3D configurator is already online. Have fun, it's beautiful. https://visualizer-east.chevrolet.com/u ... hannel=b2c

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:42 pm

Aesma wrote:
Actually I just learned Chevrolet is leaving Europe, not enough sales to justify adapting the cars to our market. Too bad.

What's there for GM to adapt in the European market? Not like they have to convert to RHD.

As for the Corvette - so another European like car built by an American car company?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

JJJ

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:26 am

Aesma wrote:

Chevrolet left a good 5 years ago except for the corvette and camaro. It's just those two that will be leaving for good on September because they can't meet the latest iteration of euro 6.

A shame really. There should be some kind of waiver for this kind of small volume models.

JJJ

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:27 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Aesma wrote:

What's there for GM to adapt in the European market? Not like they have to convert to RHD.

Emissions standards. Euro 6 is notoriously tough and getting tougher with each iteration.

Fallout of the emissions scandal, so the industry brought it on themselves.

Aesma

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:49 am

On the video I posted the guy says that the interior is designed to be left or right hand drive, in the sense that the "cockpit" is really turned towards the driver. I saw it rather as an indication that there will be no RHD at all. Last time I checked the UK is an European country, Ireland too, and they both drive on the wrong side of the road.

Yes Daewoo left 5 years ago, fortunately the horrible things they saddled us with are almost gone from our roads, still, I was trying to forget them entirely !

As for what changes are needed, yes emissions is a big one : the limits have not changed in 5 years, but now the test isn't done in a lab, but on the road, and that's proving a big challenge. Usually some other stuff like lighting equipment.

cpd

Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:55 am

Aesma wrote:
On the video I posted the guy says that the interior is designed to be left or right hand drive, in the sense that the "cockpit" is really turned towards the driver. I saw it rather as an indication that there will be no RHD at all. Last time I checked the UK is an European country, Ireland too, and they both drive on the wrong side of the road.

Yes Daewoo left 5 years ago, fortunately the horrible things they saddled us with are almost gone from our roads, still, I was trying to forget them entirely !

As for what changes are needed, yes emissions is a big one : the limits have not changed in 5 years, but now the test isn't done in a lab, but on the road, and that's proving a big challenge. Usually some other stuff like lighting equipment.

It will be sold in Australia through Holden dealers. In RHD. No word on price yet.

On another note, the first prototype used a Porsche PDK transmission! That was the Holden badged “ute” looking mule car.

slider

Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:19 pm

Jalopnik has had great coverage about the launch of the C8 as well as a breakdown of the engineering involved.

I slam on GM a lot, and deservedly so, but this Corvette is a home run. It's pretty much a supercar but at a price point that is affordable.

It's a radical design change to go with the mid-engine layout, and I think it looks great (not crazy about the Camaro butt though).

Homerun, GM...

BHMNONREV

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:05 pm

mham001 wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:

Curious what this "anti-manual culture" you speak of? By whom? Truth is, the performance end determined cars are faster without a manual, so that market is gone. DCT's started in Europe. The Japanese pushed CVTs. It's all their fault :). And the basic automatic also got better with nearly identical mileage. Who wants to sit in city traffic pushing a clutch in stop and go? Nobody is buying them.

Manuals died in the 80's when they stopped offering manuals in trucks, I had a hard time with that. But hold on, electrics don't have any shift-able gears so driving is changing even more. That Corvette is thought to be getting some electrification of some kind.

I don't think there is an "anti-manual" culture, GM is just selling what the public want here. As much as it pains me not to see a Corvette with a manual that's the way it is. I have a BMW Z4 3.0i which I love because of the six manual gears, and with standard gearboxes going the way of the dodo bird I will have to keep it a while longer I suppose..

I read an article several months ago that stated that only 3% of the cars in the US have a manual transmission, while 18% of the driving population can actually drive one. Best anti-theft device for your car in the US? Manual transmission... :D

BHMNONREV

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:10 pm

mham001 wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:

I don't think there is an "anti-manual" culture, GM is just selling what the public want here. As much as it pains me not to see a Corvette with a manual that's the way it is. I have a BMW Z4 3.0i which I love because of the six manual gears, and with standard gearboxes going the way of the dodo bird I will have to keep it a while longer I suppose..

I read an article several months ago that stated that only 3% of the cars in the US have a manual transmission, while 18% of the driving population can actually drive one. Best anti-theft device for your car in the US? Manual transmission... :D

jetwet1

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:58 pm

I can say a couple of thing, wait a year for them to sort the car out, also, the dealers will be charging premiums for this and yes, I have a 2012 Z06 (C6) and yes it can corner, yes it goes like a bat out of hell and yes I will be buying a C8 next year at some point.

NIKV69

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:13 am

That is badass! Still if I could have any Vette it would be a 69'
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die,

na

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:02 pm

Not bad, but it looks like a Ferrari which fell into the hands of body tuner.