ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Will the United States invade Iran?

Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:37 am

With the latest attack on a British oil tanker by Iran, do you think that the United States, Britain, and Israel will do a joint covert invasion of Iran a similar to the US invasion of Panama to remove the drug lord Norreiga back in 1989. This is like the latest in a series of attacks on American and British oil tankers.

Spar

Re: Will the United States invade Iran?

Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:51 am

You think an invasion of Iran would be just like the invasion of Panama?

Really?

Aaron747

Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:04 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
With the latest attack on a British oil tanker by Iran, do you think that the United States, Britain, and Israel will do a joint covert invasion of Iran a similar to the US invasion of Panama to remove the drug lord Norreiga back in 1989. This is like the latest in a series of attacks on American and British oil tankers.

Um no...this has to be one of the most senseless questions asked in recent memory. Iran is physically huge, mountainous, arid - with a population of 85 million - Tehran alone is a 15-million strong metro. The very notion is nuts.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

stratosphere

Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:48 am

I think Trump knows he is finished if we get involved in another quagmire. He is trying to show his bad ass without actually engaging and the Iranians know this that's why they are pushing the limits. So it's a brinksmanship who blinks first.

seb146

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:07 am

We are still at war with Islam and drugs and Iraq and Afghanistan and poverty. Can we afford a war with Iran? Republicans will try to convince us we can.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

stratosphere

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:38 am

seb146 wrote:
We are still at war with Islam and drugs and Iraq and Afghanistan and poverty. Can we afford a war with Iran? Republicans will try to convince us we can.

The neo-cons will actually there are democrats that want us to engage with Iran as well. I am sick of spilling American blood for regime change and treasure. Outside of WW2 all of our conflicts have been an abject failure. I am tired of trying to make the world fit into our mold. Our country is one thing but I am tired of being the worlds policeman. But one thing Trump is right about is if you want us to protect you..Then pay up. We got homeless on our streets and we are giving millions to other countries. Total madness.

Aaron747

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:55 am

stratosphere wrote:
seb146 wrote:

The neo-cons will actually there are democrats that want us to engage with Iran as well. I am sick of spilling American blood for regime change and treasure. Outside of WW2 all of our conflicts have been an abject failure. I am tired of trying to make the world fit into our mold. Our country is one thing but I am tired of being the worlds policeman. But one thing Trump is right about is if you want us to protect you..Then pay up. We got homeless on our streets and we are giving millions to other countries. Total madness.

Kushner and Bolton would say your view is shortsighted: the former because selling arms to GCC nations keeps 20k Americans employed, and the latter because ‘evil’ must not be allowed to endure.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

AeroVega

Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:49 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
With the latest attack on a British oil tanker by Iran.

This "attack" was a response to the British "attack" on an Iranian oil tanker two weeks ago.

See https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48865030

Apparently the EU claims the right to prevent Iranian oil from reaching Syria through the Strait of Gibraltar. Is is then a surprise that, in response, Iran claims the reciprocal right to prevent Saudi oil from reaching the EU through the Strait of Hormuz?

Spar

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:13 am

Aaron747 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Kushner and Bolton would say your view is shortsighted: the former because selling arms to GCC nations keeps 20k Americans employed, and the latter because ‘evil’ must not be allowed to endure.

The two of you have this semi-enlightened conversation yet you ignore the driving force behind the Current US situation and that is Israel. Yes there are a lot of Dems who are essentially war hawks when it comes to ME affairs because they support Israel and they do that either because they're naïve and accept the propaganda at face value or because they are actual Zionists themselves. The current Iran crisis is just a continuation of the effort that brought us the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Iraq was supposed to be only the first step of a larger effort. Back then it was an out front public effort and the org behind it was AIPAC, I'm sure everyone here is at least dimly aware of AIPAC. These are the same people who have been applying the political pressure all along to at least consider military operations against Iran: to consider Iran hostile at the least. Any politician who opposes war with Iran and won't even give lip service towards that end will face a drought in financial backing as well as endorsements when they come up for re-election. The Israel lobby controls the political dialogue in both the house and the senate.

As long as Israel has this blind support they will remain in expansion mode and will knowingly and intentionally keep things stirred up in the ME as that provides the opportunity to acquire more land. So when the United States engages in these military actions to supposedly bring peace, they are actually fanning the very force that brings war to that region.

If the US were to somehow break free of the hold that Israel has on us we could demand that they bring their expansion program to an end and work for stabilization of the region instead of working for destabilization. If we pulled our support, they would have to comply.

This goes back to before 9-11; it is the cause of the animosity that the extremist Islamists feel towards the US. The reality is that the United States has no significant interests in the middle east and if we were to act in our own actual interests we would just pull out completely.

bgm

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:43 am

stratosphere wrote:
He is trying to show his bad ass

You mean this one?

There's no way the US will start a war with Iran, only because it would reflect badly on Trump. There are plenty in the GOP circle who would love nothing more than to go to war with Iran. Strangely enough, it's Trump's vanity that is stopping this from happening.
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

flyingturtle

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:48 am

Look at the Iraq-Iran war. The fact that the western countries supported Saddam Hussein in his attempt to destroy Iran is just a interesting side note. Look at the horrifying losses Iran was willing to absorb in that war. The Iranian leadership knew very well that this war was about the existence of their country. Some estimates say that up to 600'000 Iranians died between 1980 and 1988. The Iranian leadership was willing to sacrifice children to clear minefields. Something the United States could and would never do.

An invasion will just be a second Vietnam.
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

tommy1808

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:05 am

flyingturtle wrote:
An invasion will just be a second Vietnam.

Optimist.. Iran has trained it's people for this kind of conflict for decades, Vietnam will seem like a cakewalk.

If he does it, it will be short before the election. Just enough to defeat the conventional forces, but not enough time for bodies to pile up.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

ltbewr

Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:33 pm

Pres. Trump is doing some serious, and sadly necessary, saber rattling. I think he would like to put off a major missile or bombing attack as knows it would be very bad for the USA unless there were to be a missile or other attack on a USA warship. Ships have been taken control of by Iranian forces and drones have been shot down by both Iran and the USA. In the case of the Iranian drone, it was less than 2kms from a USA Navy ship and had to take the appropriate actions to protect itself.
We and other countries must keep the shipping going through the Straits of Hormuz open to all international sea traffic for the safe transport of oil and other goods of all countries involved. Pres. Trump for sure ripped up the controversial Iran nuclear deal of previous President Obama, for its flawed results and out of his hate for Obama, to protect Israel, keep Saudi Arabia the big power in the region and that some Americans still want blood revenge for Iran's taking of American hostages 40 years ago.

Spar

Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:48 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Pres. Trump is doing some serious, and sadly necessary, saber rattling. I think he would like to put off a major missile or bombing attack as knows it would be very bad for the USA unless there were to be a missile or other attack on a USA warship. Ships have been taken control of by Iranian forces and drones have been shot down by both Iran and the USA. In the case of the Iranian drone, it was less than 2kms from a USA Navy ship and had to take the appropriate actions to protect itself.
We and other countries must keep the shipping going through the Straits of Hormuz open to all international sea traffic for the safe transport of oil and other goods of all countries involved. Pres. Trump for sure ripped up the controversial Iran nuclear deal of previous President Obama, for its flawed results and out of his hate for Obama, to protect Israel, keep Saudi Arabia the big power in the region and that some Americans still want blood revenge for Iran's taking of American hostages 40 years ago.

There are a lot of things wrong with this post but I'm not going to take the time and effort to push back on all the misguided statements. But I will say that Saudi Arabia has never been "the big power in the region", they were just a bunch of desert tribes people until the British came along and promoted the Saud tribe into a nation of sorts.

Compared to Turkey, Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Iran the Saudi tribes have always been a bunch of aborigines. Now Netanyahu claims to want to promote them to regional power status; actually all Netanyahu wants to do is to set Saudi Arabia and Iran against each other in a perpetual war that Israel and the US can control by supporting one side or the other, depending on who's winning at any particular moment.

Quite the noble purveyors of peace and justice we are eh? It's no wonder that people from that region have flown airplanes into buildings. They don't even need religion for justification as far as I can see.

Dutchy

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:15 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:

To answer your question: no. Israel will not participate in any case, your understanding of the middle east is a lot to be desired of if you seriously suggest that is an option.

You need to keep in mind that America is causing the current situation, the agreement was working fine until Trump decided it was not "good enough" a.k.a. it was done by Obama and not him, so it is wrong.

The oil tanker issue came about after GB seized one in Gibraltar. Iran isn't a saint, far from it, but this one is on the plate of America.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

seb146

Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:12 pm

I find it interesting that posters talk about the policies of Israel and no one calls them anti-Semitic. Good. This is a very good example of how people can be against the policies of a government and separate religion.

All these problems with Iran started after the occupant of the White House pulled the United States out of an agreement. It was not perfect but better than what we have now!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

VTKillarney

Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:25 pm

seb146 wrote:
I find it interesting that posters talk about the policies of Israel and no one calls them anti-Semitic. Good. This is a very good example of how people can be against the policies of a government and separate religion.

All these problems with Iran started after the occupant of the White House pulled the United States out of an agreement. It was not perfect but better than what we have now!

Israel wants Israel and Iran to exist. Iran doesn’t want Israel to exist.

The Israelis have shown quite a bit of restraint.

johns624

Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:00 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
Let them go for it...I'll get the popcorn and watch...

VSMUT

Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:09 pm

ltbewr wrote:
In the case of the Iranian drone, it was less than 2kms from a USA Navy ship and had to take the appropriate actions to protect itself.

If Iran sailed a warship close to the US coast, would you then justify it when they shot down a US aircraft in "self defence"?

scbriml

Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:14 pm

VTKillarney wrote:

Yeah, they only steal land from people who can’t fight back. :sarcastic:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Aesma

Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:17 pm

An operation to kill a dictator might have worked, and been a good idea, in the case of Saddam, Qadhafi, or Al Assad, but Iran is another matter entirely, you're not going to achieve anything good even if the mission is a success.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

VTKillarney

Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:31 pm

johns624 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

So far their track record is perfect.

FCAFLYBOY

Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:44 pm

AeroVega wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

This "attack" was a response to the British "attack" on an Iranian oil tanker two weeks ago.

Apparently the EU claims the right to prevent Iranian oil from reaching Syria through the Strait of Gibraltar. Is is then a surprise that, in response, Iran claims the reciprocal right to prevent Saudi oil from reaching the EU through the Strait of Hormuz?

Except that is not the same thing at all. Grace 1 was seized as she was in direct violation of sanctions. The British ship seized was in Omani/International waters first of all, and secondly, was seized for no valid reason other than retaliation, which is therefore considered hostile. There are no sanctions being broken by Saudi Arabian oil being delivered to Europe. Iran, and Syria, however do not have that luxury.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I hope warfare is avoided, and surely Iran must realise if they try to escalate the situation further, it will only be politely tolerated for a limited time.

AeroVega

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:16 pm

FCAFLYBOY wrote:
AeroVega wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Except that is not the same thing at all. Grace 1 was seized as she was in direct violation of sanctions. The British ship seized was in Omani/International waters first of all, and secondly, was seized for no valid reason other than retaliation, which is therefore considered hostile.

Please explain how imposing sanctions on Iran is not a hostile act towards Iran.

TryToFlySomeday

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:22 pm

Iran is not a problem yet. Iran hasn’t caused trouble for other countries — you don’t see them quarreling with regional partners like Turkey and India, do you?

Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia is attacking Yemen. Why are sanctions on Iran then?
Pakistan's aviation sector is coming back. It won't be as strong as our eastern neighbor, nowhere close, but it's going to grow over time. Stand by and watch.

Born to Pakistani parents near ORD; raised and based near ORD.

mham001

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:31 pm

Spar wrote:

There are a lot of things wrong with this post but I'm not going to take the time and effort to push back on all the misguided statements. But I will say that Saudi Arabia has never been "the big power in the region", they were just a bunch of desert tribes people until the British came along and promoted the Saud tribe into a nation of sorts.

Compared to Turkey, Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Iran the Saudi tribes have always been a bunch of aborigines. .

Stop. Just nonsense. They are by far the largest oil producer in the region and largely in control of OPEC - giving them the largest economy in the Middle East and buying them the most advanced military in the Arab/Persian world. Money talks - bull$hit walks. They also have the largest landmass in the region and two large coastlines.

Downplaying their strength is almost as bad as hoping Iran will strike a US warship, but you have done both.

mham001

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:35 pm

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
Iran is not a problem yet. Iran hasn’t caused trouble for other countries — you don’t see them quarreling with regional partners like Turkey and India, do you?

Iran is the primary financial supporter of several known terrorist organizations, Hezbollah being foremost. And there is much more.

FCAFLYBOY

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:43 pm

AeroVega wrote:
FCAFLYBOY wrote:
AeroVega wrote:

Except that is not the same thing at all. Grace 1 was seized as she was in direct violation of sanctions. The British ship seized was in Omani/International waters first of all, and secondly, was seized for no valid reason other than retaliation, which is therefore considered hostile.

Please explain how imposing sanctions on Iran is not a hostile act towards Iran.

The UK didn’t impose them, the US did. Added to which, these sanctions are long-standing, so that cannot be used as an excuse.

Aesma

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:54 pm

mham001 wrote:
Spar wrote:

Compared to Turkey, Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Iran the Saudi tribes have always been a bunch of aborigines. .

Stop. Just nonsense. They are by far the largest oil producer in the region and largely in control of OPEC - giving them the largest economy in the Middle East and buying them the most advanced military in the Arab/Persian world. Money talks - bull$hit walks. They also have the largest landmass in the region and two large coastlines.

Downplaying their strength is almost as bad as hoping Iran will strike a US warship, but you have done both.

The country Saudi Arabia has oil, but its people aren't the ones extracting it, that's quite telling.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Spar

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:02 pm

mham001 wrote:
Iran is the primary financial supporter of several known terrorist organizations, Hezbollah being foremost. And there is much more.

So where were Saddam's nukes?

johns624

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:23 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
johns624 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

Israel can do airstrikes but a long war will bankrupt them. They don't have the manpower and if they call up too many military reservists, their economy goes in the crapper. Also, if they attacked Iran, the West Bank and Gaza Strip would ignite. So I say, go for it!

VTKillarney

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:28 pm

johns624 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Israel can do airstrikes but a long war will bankrupt them. They don't have the manpower and if they call up too many military reservists, their economy goes in the crapper. Also, if they attacked Iran, the West Bank and Gaza Strip would ignite. So I say, go for it!

Why do you want them to, “go for it?”

Dutchy

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:35 pm

johns624 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Just look at the logistics involved, they might do some strikes, but they have to cross Saudi Arabia, or Jordan and Iraq. That might be possible because Iran isn't that popular. What effective bombload will they have when they have flown to Iran and back again, The political and public backlash will be too much and might lead to public uprises in Syria, Egypt and perhaps even Saudi Arabia.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:37 pm

Spar wrote:

Really?

The invasion of Panama was not actually a war.

johns624

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:15 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
johns624 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

Why do you want them to, “go for it?”

Because I'm sick of fighting for them. Maybe they need to be knocked down a peg or two?

johns624

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:16 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Spar wrote:

Really?

Tell that to the Panamanians who were invaded. Besides, you're the one that used that comparison in your OP.

Dieuwer

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:31 pm

AeroVega wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. How quaintly Old-Testament.

Dutchy wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

To answer your question: no. Israel will not participate in any case, your understanding of the middle east is a lot to be desired of if you seriously suggest that is an option.

You need to keep in mind that America is causing the current situation, the agreement was working fine until Trump decided it was not "good enough" a.k.a. it was done by Obama and not him, so it is wrong..

Indeed. Trump will start WW3 just to piss off Obama.

Spar

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:34 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Spar wrote:

Really?

No, it was just an invasion and occupation.
A bit like Germany's invasion of some of the smaller nations in the Balkans in 1941.

Not really a war!

LoL

Spar

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:43 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

And to solidify Jewish support in 2020.

While not all American Jews are rabid Zionists, they almost all will vote as they're told when it comes to issues affecting Israel's "security".

Aaron747

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Spar wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

While not all American Jews are rabid Zionists, they almost all will vote as they're told when it comes to issues affecting Israel's "security".

If this is actually what you believe, you do not understand how we think or feel at all.

Spar

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:16 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Spar wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

If this is actually what you believe, you do not understand how we think or feel at all.

Not only that, but the majority of them will hand over their money wholesale whenever they are told that Israel's existence is threatened, which is at least daily. They know they are not doing "their part" by immigrating to the Jewish homeland but they try to make up for it by shelling out cash and voting as their heroes ask them to.

olle

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:39 pm

We need to remember US and UK involvement in Iran during the last 100 years.

No one has bee interested in the wellbeing of the Iran people. Sadly US and Israeli policy continue this tradition. And now they fooled UK to join.

This UK government must be the most incompetent since 1956.

Spar

Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:56 am

Is this true?

we (the British) have just 19 warships, half of which are unfit for sea or have insufficient crew, yet a staggering 34 admirals – almost two for every ship

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/le ... 13536.html

Edit:
Google tells me that Britain has 40 warships and 41 Admirals.

There are currently 41 admirals, vice-admirals and rear-admirals but with constant cuts the number of fighting ships in the Navy now stands at just 40 (ships).

johns624

Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:12 am

Spar wrote:
Is this true?

we (the British) have just 19 warships, half of which are unfit for sea or have insufficient crew, yet a staggering 34 admirals – almost two for every ship

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/le ... 13536.html

Edit:
Google tells me that Britain has 40 warships and 41 Admirals.

There are currently 41 admirals, vice-admirals and rear-admirals but with constant cuts the number of fighting ships in the Navy now stands at just 40 (ships).
Partially true. The RN currently has 19 surface combatants (destroyers and frigates). 2-3 are always in port due to lack of crews. There is also the one aircraft carrier, 2 amphibious ships, 6 attack and 4 ballistic missile subs. There are also small patrol ships and minehunters, along with support ships of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary. The Royal Navy is a shadow of what it was even 20 years ago. I suggest that you get a subscription to Warship International Fleet Review. It's an English monthly that keeps up on navies of the world, especially the RN. They aren't happy with the current situation.

Aesma

Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:12 am

Are admirals even likely to captain these ships anyway ?

mham001

Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:50 am

olle wrote:
We need to remember US and UK involvement in Iran during the last 100 years.

I am flummoxed how people who wish to point the finger at the US for every hotspot in the world consistently paint a picture of history only beginning when the US gets involved.

Iran/Persia has a long history of intervention by the Ottomans, Afghans, Russians, Germans and many others. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Iran

santi319

Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:38 am

Well it doesnt matter what the US wants to do, they will do what Israel says. Like always.

KFTG

Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:55 am

seb146 wrote:
We are still at war with Islam

I'm sorry...what?

Kiwirob

Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:00 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:

What American tanker has been attacked?

To my knowledge it’s one Japanese, one Norwegian and now this British flagged tanker. The Japanese answer Norwegian tankers might not even have been attacked by the Iranians.

Kiwirob

Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:15 am

Aesma wrote:
mham001 wrote:
Spar wrote:

The country Saudi Arabia has oil, but its people aren't the ones extracting it, that's quite telling.

Then who is Saudi Aramco?