stratosphere
Topic Author

Mesa cop who killed man get rehired for pension

Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:18 am

Man this makes my blood boil. I know this happens more to blacks for sure but this video shows just how bad the training is for at least the Mesa police department..I don't know the original call but this guy was in total compliance then as cops do they made him do a bunch of circus acts instead of letting him stay down and letting another officer go and secure him. So this shitbag trigger happy cop kills this poor bastard for really nothing. So they fire this cop but rehire him so he can collect a pension he really isn't entitled to. A 26 year old and gets 30k a year damn wish I could get that. Karma can't get this dude soon enough.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... 8de43c6ac8

MaverickM11

Re: Mesa cop who killed man get rehired for pension

Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:24 am

Insane, but not surprising. The high stakes game of simon-says before being shot is straight out of a bad movie.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Super80Fan

Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:45 am

Thin blue line of treason strikes again.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

Aesma

Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:20 am

That video is crazy. I've never been to the US, I will go soon for a wedding, I think it will be the first and last time.

Also, this pension system you have in the US is really strange. A pension should be a part of your income you set aside, that way it can't be "taken away", can't be a bargaining chip, can't be a reason to keep a bad apple and rehire him.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Jetty

Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:53 am

Claiming having PTSD because you shot an unarmed crying man to death for no reason whatsoever. :banghead:

The shooting could be the act of an individual, but what a sickening and depraved country the US is for awarding him a pension for it at age 28. :yuck:

readytotaxi

Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:21 pm

A clear indication that a broken system needs fixing.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

VTKillarney

Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:29 pm

As tragic as this shooting was, the officer was acquitted of all charges after a six week trial. If we are to be a nation of law, the system must accept that result.

johns624

Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:35 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
As tragic as this shooting was, the officer was acquitted of all charges after a six week trial. If we are to be a nation of law, the system must accept that result.
People get fired all the time without breaking the law. They seldom get hired back so that they can collect their pension.

blueflyer

Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:16 pm

Best advice a friend and a cop ever gave me: If I ever feel uncomfortable in an encounter with a police officer, adopt the most non-threatening position I can (ideally lying on the ground hands on my head) and not move a muscle for any reason whatsoever. Tell the officer I am not moving an inch out of concern for their and my safety, ignore any command that involves moving a limb, and wait for backup to arrive and move me...
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

johns624

Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:25 pm

Then he might have still been shot for not following orders...
I watched the video (once) and the cop was very agitated, to say the least.

dmg626

Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:44 pm

Aesma wrote:
That video is crazy. I've never been to the US, I will go soon for a wedding, I think it will be the first and last time.

Also, this pension system you have in the US is really strange. A pension should be a part of your income you set aside, that way it can't be "taken away", can't be a bargaining chip, can't be a reason to keep a bad apple and rehire him.

What a retarded thing to say, there’s stuff that goes down in countries all over the world. Don’t leave your house then if you’re so scared of things like this that happen

Aesma

Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:04 pm

In plenty of countries, cops kill single digit people per year, most of the time suicide by cop. In the US, it's thousands.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

mham001

Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:22 pm

stratosphere wrote:
Man this makes my blood boil. I know this happens more to blacks for sure

Your odds of getting shot by police are directly correlated to your race's propensity for police interaction. Period.

Jetty wrote:
Claiming having PTSD because you shot an unarmed crying man to death for no reason whatsoever. :banghead:

The shooting could be the act of an individual, but what a sickening and depraved country the US is for awarding him a pension for it at age 28. :yuck:

Looking into who made that decision, it was a board dominated by public service employees. https://www.mesaaz.gov/city-hall/adviso ... ent-system

Just another notch in the union's belt. We have a serious problem with these contracts agreed upon by the politicians in cahoots with the public employee unions, in fact it is one of the things California politicians keep sweeping under the rug - the upcoming pension crisis. While searching for Mesa, I ran across this, for one example...

Some L.A. pensions are so huge they exceed IRS limits, costing ...
https://www.latimes.com/local/.../la-me-drop-pension-excess-20181216-story.html
Dec 16, 2018 - The list of recipients is dominated by former cops and firefighters whose ...

Sweetheart pensions that were approved by largely liberal city governments at the behest of unions. When I was young, a pension was enough to cover living expenses after having 20-30 years to buy a house, build equity, save and raise a family, now it is not unusual to get more pension after 20 years than original pay - for life. I personally know firefighters living large who get hefty promotions to Captain shortly before retirement and become eligible for enough money as though they were starting over in life again. And still young enough for another career. The Captain who retired with a slight shoulder injury really hit the jackpot.

910A

Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:01 pm

mham001 wrote:

Looking into who made that decision, it was a board dominated by public service employees. https://www.mesaaz.gov/city-hall/adviso ... ent-system

Just another notch in the union's belt. We have a serious problem with these contracts agreed upon by the politicians in cahoots with the public employee unions, in fact it is one of the things California politicians keep sweeping under the rug - the upcoming pension crisis. While searching for Mesa, I ran across this, for one example...

Some L.A. pensions are so huge they exceed IRS limits, costing ...
https://www.latimes.com/local/.../la-me-drop-pension-excess-20181216-story.html
Dec 16, 2018 - The list of recipients is dominated by former cops and firefighters whose ...

Sweetheart pensions that were approved by largely liberal city governments at the behest of unions. When I was young, a pension was enough to cover living expenses after having 20-30 years to buy a house, build equity, save and raise a family, now it is not unusual to get more pension after 20 years than original pay - for life. I personally know firefighters living large who get hefty promotions to Captain shortly before retirement and become eligible for enough money as though they were starting over in life again. And still young enough for another career. The Captain who retired with a slight shoulder injury really hit the jackpot.

The City of Los Angeles DROP program for police and fire was even worst than thought. As usual the officers found a way to game the system.
he Deferred Retirement Option Plan pays city cops and firefighters their salaries and early pension payments for the last five years of their careers. Under the new measure — which will apply only to new participants and not those already in the program — pension checks will be withheld from those who miss significant time due to injury or illness in any given month. Those employees will still receive their full salary for the time off.

The change of policy comes in response to a Los Angeles Times investigative series that found nearly half of the cops and firefighters who had joined the program — which has paid out more than $1.7 billion in early extra pension checks since its inception in 2002 — have subsequently taken injury leaves, typically for bad backs, sore knees and other conditions that afflict aging bodies regardless of profession.

The program that guarantees a 5% return (where can anyone get that) is what one financial advisor described as legalizing stealing. The state employees that are public safety employees attempted to get this same benefit, to the credit of the State Legislature they saw it for what it was and voted no..

As for the Mesa case, I doubt the board had any influence after the city negotiated the settlement behind closed doors. The officer in question pension will be tax-free since it's a disability pension.