Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747
Topic Author

POTUS Needs A Civics Lesson

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:02 am

So, most Americans took cursory civics courses in high school, and in university or out of personal interest, many of us have studied the separation of powers more deeply in legal, historical, and political contexts.

Today POTUS showed the extent of interest in details with a speech to youth conservatives where he claimed Article II permits him to do ‘whatever he wants’. Strangely, nobody spoke out to correct him on the facts.

“I have an Article 2 where I have the right to do whatever I want as president,” he said to applause, referring to the part of the US Constitution that gives him executive – but not unlimited – power. “But I don’t even talk about that.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 6.html?amp

Considering the majority of powers are not executive but lie with Congress, by intention, isn’t it about time POTUS learns how the government works? After all, he has had two years to get to know it intimately. Instead of wedge issues, perhaps the Dem candidates would be wise to simply point out this POTUS has utterly failed at his OJT?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

fr8mech

Re: POTUS Needs A Civics Lesson

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:11 am

"I've got a pen, and I've got a phone." ~President Barack Obama

https://www.npr.org/2014/01/20/26376604 ... s-it-alone

https://reason.com/2016/11/14/ive-got-a ... ne-obamas/

https://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/01 ... t-a-phone/

Presidents have been pushing the bounds of executive power since Washington.

It's the Congress's job to check those attempts.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Aaron747
Topic Author

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:16 am

fr8mech wrote:
"I've got a pen, and I've got a phone." ~President Barack Obama

https://www.npr.org/2014/01/20/26376604 ... s-it-alone

https://reason.com/2016/11/14/ive-got-a ... ne-obamas/

https://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/01 ... t-a-phone/

Presidents have been pushing the bounds of executive power since Washington.

It's the Congress's job to check those attempts.

Absolutely, but so long as facts mean anything, an obvious affinity for EOs is still different than claiming ‘anything I want’ is within bounds.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Dieuwer

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:32 pm

Trump wants to run the USA as his privately owned corporation. That's the problem.

Airstud

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:51 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Trump wants to run the USA as his privately owned corporation. That's the problem.

He's also an impossibly spoiled, never-had-to-earn-anything, greedy, uncompromising, infantile bronto-brat who doesn't understand that the Presidency of the United States, no matter how legitimately it may have come to him, actually isn't just one of his newer playthings.
Pancakes are delicious.

alfa164

Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:46 am

Airstud wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

He's also an impossibly spoiled, never-had-to-earn-anything, greedy, uncompromising, infantile bronto-brat who doesn't understand that the Presidency of the United States, no matter how legitimately it may have come to him, actually isn't just one of his newer playthings.

:checkmark: This. .It has become increasing apparent that he adores the adulation of running for President, but he doesn't have any real interest in being President.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:59 am

And in another boo-boo, 45 told Hannity tonight that the Mueller report was ‘treason’ - a crime clearly defined in Article III of the Constitution. WH civics instructor - where art thou...?

Airstud

Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:26 am

Aaron747 wrote:
And in another boo-boo, 45 told Hannity tonight that the Mueller report was ‘treason’

Which he's right about... when he says it exonerated him. :biggrin:
Pancakes are delicious.

B777LRF

Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:32 am

While the teacher's at it, perhaps a few lessons on the seperation of legislative, sentencing and enforcing powers would be in order, along with a large dollop of 'how not to interfere in the justice system of another country'? I appreciate Kenya is missing his coke buddy, and it must be hard on the poor guy, but from there to getting the POTUS to agitate for his release without letting the justice system run its course, it so far out it beggars belief.
Signature. You just read one.

Bostrom

Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:23 am

B777LRF wrote:
While the teacher's at it, perhaps a few lessons on the seperation of legislative, sentencing and enforcing powers would be in order, along with a large dollop of 'how not to interfere in the justice system of another country'? I appreciate Kenya is missing his coke buddy, and it must be hard on the poor guy, but from there to getting the POTUS to agitate for his release without letting the justice system run its course, it so far out it beggars belief.

That would be great! He seems to be really upset at the prime minister for not interfering in the legal system.

BN747

Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:35 pm

POTUS Needs A Civics Lesson

Of course, this title is rhetoric but this fool is cemented in his ignorance of the most simple of fundamentals of civics.

He knows Americans and the world has gone completely numb from his abhorrent behavior.

It's why he amps it up..because he knows most people are still in shock that this is the age we are living in and took us there.
He's 10 steps ahead because most are parallized in a state of shock.

But he's ahead as far as tossing a turd and everyone chases it..only to find out 'it's a turd'.

You can't ignore it/him...that is exactly what he wants, tune out, drop out of the political game and he can do whatever he wants - as he stated publicly last week.
Thankfully, millions are pissed and Congress will hear from them while on the summer break.

He's running out of turds to toss by his digging deeper with the racial attacks. He'll soon jump back to Patriotism when the NFL season starts...I just hope when they play the nation athem, the Russian one is played at Stadiums, that'll wake people up!

He'd write it off a salute to his friend at the Kremlin.

Don't Vote Racist
BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

DIRECTFLT

Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:49 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

I don't see that as a problem, I see that as a Strength.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

casinterest

Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:56 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

I don't see that as a problem, I see that as a Strength.

Many dictators would agree with you.

American citizens would not. Bankruptcy is not how I want this country to wind up.
Where ever you go, there you are.