ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:52 pm

Do you think that Pakistan will become a major leisure tourist destination in the next few years like India considering that the security situation in Pakistan has improved and the country is loosening visa requirements for nationals of many countries. Pakistan has the Old City of Lahore, Mohenjodaro, and beautiful valleys that have the potential to be major tourist sites.

Aaron747

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:55 pm

The Gilgit-Baltistan region is already popular with trekkers and hikers who like the exotic. It is quite simply one of the world’s most dramatic alpine areas.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:57 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
The Gilgit-Baltistan region is already popular with trekkers and hikers who like the exotic. It is quite simply one of the world’s most dramatic alpine areas.

I am sure that number will go further up with the loosening of visa requirements and the improved security situation.

Aaron747

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:00 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I am sure that number will go further up with the loosening of visa requirements and the improved security situation.

Perhaps but the area doesn’t have the infrastructure to support a large increase in visitors.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

LH658

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:52 am

They definitely need to improve the infrastructure for tourism. Though currently Pakistan working on the Kartarpur Corridor with India allowing Sikhs to visit their holy sites with visa free access. Though their is a bit of Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, Islamic, and other religion and cultural sites. Many beautiful mountain area, and the coast near Iran is spectacular. The old parts of Peshawar Multan, Lahore, and Rawalpindi is amazing. Some of the World's oldest civilizations are in Pakistan. In the Cholistan dessert they recently did the Jeep rally racing. Recently just had their version of the Tour De France, in Northern areas. Their definently a lot of hidden gems in Pakistan that aren't discovered yet, and too locals are just normal buildings. I hope current administration can work preserving such structures. PM Khan is pretty focus on trying to boost Pakistan to it potential.

Lot of bloggers/vloggers are capturing Pakistan right now, it isn't your ideal place like let say Cancun, Costa Rica, Paris, and etc for family of 4 coming from Kansas, though once tourism explodes then the hospitality kindness will definitely drop as it happens with any country in particular way.

Right now if you visit Pakistan you get that tailored personalized experience, because everyone will want to cater you.

zakuivcustom

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:51 pm

LH658 wrote:
Lot of bloggers/vloggers are capturing Pakistan right now, it isn't your ideal place like let say Cancun, Costa Rica, Paris, and etc for family of 4 coming from Kansas, though once tourism explodes then the hospitality kindness will definitely drop as it happens with any country in particular way.

And it should stay that way - we simply do NOT need mass tourism with artificial resorts and tourist traps in every single corners of the world.

On a side note - its neighbor India is not exactly an ideal place for a family of 4 coming from Kansas either anyway. There may be Europeans going to Goa, but even that's consider more "exotic" than your typical Mediterranean cities like Alicante or Palma or random Greek Island or Antalya. Plus do we really want Gilgit-Baltistan to look like that long queue hiking up Mt Everest?
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

LittleSprocket

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:42 pm

Having been in that part of the world, I would never ever advocate for it to become a tourist destination. There is a reason that both Afghanis and Indians loathe Pakistanis...and it’s not just because they smell. The entire region is rife with terrorist activity and they suffer terrorist attacks quite regularly.

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/atta ... ?Yr=Last30

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:56 pm

Pakistan was a popular tourist destination in the 1970's with tourists from all over the world when it was on the Hippie Trail

EstherLouise

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:04 pm

I can hardly wait to go to Pakistan to enjoy their wonderful and tourist-friendly rail system at its fullest (sic).

712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

Clipper727

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:23 pm

LittleSprocket wrote:
Having been in that part of the world, I would never ever advocate for it to become a tourist destination. There is a reason that both Afghanis and Indians loathe Pakistanis...and it’s not just because they smell. The entire region is rife with terrorist activity and they suffer terrorist attacks quite regularly.

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/atta ... ?Yr=Last30

Wow!! I smell a Bitter Afghani/Indian. First off-who cares who Afghans loathe. Second- I was there 6 months ago and absolutely loved it. The level of hospitality was amazing compared to what I felt in either India and definitely Afghanistan. You really need to chill. Maybe get laid.

mham001

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:57 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Pakistan was a popular tourist destination in the 1970's with tourists from all over the world when it was on the Hippie Trail

Except the hippie/backpack crowd doesn't spend money. Not much point in trying to attract them.

Jameselsworth

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:13 am

If they resolve their internal terrorism problem then definitely tourism will increase. There are loads of place to visit including old monuments, mosques, trekking.

scbriml

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:02 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
the improved security situation.

Good job it's "improved"...

Categorised terrorist attacks so far in 2019:

Jan - Loralai attack - nine people killed

Feb - Balochistan attack - six people killed

Apr - Makran massacre - 14 people killed

Apr - Quetta bombing - 21 people killed

May - Lahore bombing - 13 people killed

May - Pearl Continental Hotel attack - five people killed

ArchGuy1 wrote:
If they resolve their internal terrorism problem then definitely tourism will increase.

Very large swathes of Pakistan are basically lawless. It isn't being resolved any time soon.

ArchGuy1 wrote:

1970 was very nearly 50 years ago. Things are somewhat different now and not in a good way.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

msaaim89

Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:53 am

EstherLouise wrote:
I can hardly wait to go to Pakistan to enjoy their wonderful and tourist-friendly rail system at its fullest (sic).

Isn't that actually in India?

casinterest

Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:15 pm

Pakistan has some promise.

Nanga Parbat, the ninth-highest mountain on Earth

https://www.thebrokebackpacker.com/travel-to-pakistan/
a nutshell, Pakistan is an adventure playground. This is a country which truly has everything; friendly locals, stunning landscapes, incredible treks, untapped white water rafting, undiscovered expeditions, colorful festivals, tasty food, and just enough thrills to keep you on your toes.

A trip to Pakistan is not your standard adventure, this is a chance to really connect with the local people and to see a country which, really, nobody knows much about.
Where ever you go, there you are.

LH658

Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:45 am

scbriml wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
the improved security situation.

Good job it's "improved"...

Categorised terrorist attacks so far in 2019:

Jan - Loralai attack - nine people killed

Feb - Balochistan attack - six people killed

Apr - Makran massacre - 14 people killed

Apr - Quetta bombing - 21 people killed

May - Lahore bombing - 13 people killed

May - Pearl Continental Hotel attack - five people killed

ArchGuy1 wrote:
If they resolve their internal terrorism problem then definitely tourism will increase.

Very large swathes of Pakistan are basically lawless. It isn't being resolved any time soon.

ArchGuy1 wrote:

1970 was very nearly 50 years ago. Things are somewhat different now and not in a good way.

Are we gunna make list of how much crime, shootings, and other crimes that have happened across the UK or USA?

Clipper727

Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:19 am

I have been to both countries for work. I have never wanted to leave a place as fast as I wanted to get the hell out of Mumbai. That being said- Pakistan has potential but not there just yet.

scbriml

Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:54 am

LH658 wrote:
Are we gunna make list of how much crime, shootings, and other crimes that have happened across the UK or USA?

Why on Earth would we do that? :confused:

The claim was that the security situation in Pakistan was "much improved". I listed the acknowledged terrorist incidents that have occurred so far this year. I chose to ignore other insanities like endemic honour killings.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

readytotaxi

Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:06 pm

If the tourists are to come they must feel safe and comfortable in the country. Don't want them to be seen as valuable hostage targets as seen in african countries. I think the tourist trade is a very long way off yet.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

chimborazo

Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:06 pm

I’ve worked in Lahore for about 3 months total across 7 trips. One of the best places I’ve worked. People are incredibly friendly. Have also visited Multan for a meeting.
Lahore is good for tourists- many interesting places to visit.
Security team needed because big white guy like me stands out.
I’m working in Kolkata now and it’s nowhere neare as good as Pakistan.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:25 pm

casinterest wrote:
Pakistan has some promise.

Nanga Parbat, the ninth-highest mountain on Earth

https://www.thebrokebackpacker.com/travel-to-pakistan/
a nutshell, Pakistan is an adventure playground. This is a country which truly has everything; friendly locals, stunning landscapes, incredible treks, untapped white water rafting, undiscovered expeditions, colorful festivals, tasty food, and just enough thrills to keep you on your toes.

A trip to Pakistan is not your standard adventure, this is a chance to really connect with the local people and to see a country which, really, nobody knows much about.

K2, the world's second highest mountain is also in Pakistan.