ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:52 pm

Do you think that Pakistan will become a major leisure tourist destination in the next few years like India considering that the security situation in Pakistan has improved and the country is loosening visa requirements for nationals of many countries. Pakistan has the Old City of Lahore, Mohenjodaro, and beautiful valleys that have the potential to be major tourist sites.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:55 pm

The Gilgit-Baltistan region is already popular with trekkers and hikers who like the exotic. It is quite simply one of the world’s most dramatic alpine areas.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:57 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
The Gilgit-Baltistan region is already popular with trekkers and hikers who like the exotic. It is quite simply one of the world’s most dramatic alpine areas.

I am sure that number will go further up with the loosening of visa requirements and the improved security situation.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:00 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
The Gilgit-Baltistan region is already popular with trekkers and hikers who like the exotic. It is quite simply one of the world’s most dramatic alpine areas.

I am sure that number will go further up with the loosening of visa requirements and the improved security situation.


Perhaps but the area doesn’t have the infrastructure to support a large increase in visitors.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
LH658
Posts: 1049
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:52 am

They definitely need to improve the infrastructure for tourism. Though currently Pakistan working on the Kartarpur Corridor with India allowing Sikhs to visit their holy sites with visa free access. Though their is a bit of Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, Islamic, and other religion and cultural sites. Many beautiful mountain area, and the coast near Iran is spectacular. The old parts of Peshawar Multan, Lahore, and Rawalpindi is amazing. Some of the World's oldest civilizations are in Pakistan. In the Cholistan dessert they recently did the Jeep rally racing. Recently just had their version of the Tour De France, in Northern areas. Their definently a lot of hidden gems in Pakistan that aren't discovered yet, and too locals are just normal buildings. I hope current administration can work preserving such structures. PM Khan is pretty focus on trying to boost Pakistan to it potential.

Lot of bloggers/vloggers are capturing Pakistan right now, it isn't your ideal place like let say Cancun, Costa Rica, Paris, and etc for family of 4 coming from Kansas, though once tourism explodes then the hospitality kindness will definitely drop as it happens with any country in particular way.

Right now if you visit Pakistan you get that tailored personalized experience, because everyone will want to cater you.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2969
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:51 pm

LH658 wrote:
Lot of bloggers/vloggers are capturing Pakistan right now, it isn't your ideal place like let say Cancun, Costa Rica, Paris, and etc for family of 4 coming from Kansas, though once tourism explodes then the hospitality kindness will definitely drop as it happens with any country in particular way.


And it should stay that way - we simply do NOT need mass tourism with artificial resorts and tourist traps in every single corners of the world.

On a side note - its neighbor India is not exactly an ideal place for a family of 4 coming from Kansas either anyway. There may be Europeans going to Goa, but even that's consider more "exotic" than your typical Mediterranean cities like Alicante or Palma or random Greek Island or Antalya. Plus do we really want Gilgit-Baltistan to look like that long queue hiking up Mt Everest?
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:56 pm

Pakistan was a popular tourist destination in the 1970's with tourists from all over the world when it was on the Hippie Trail
 
User avatar
EstherLouise
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:16 pm

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:04 pm

I can hardly wait to go to Pakistan to enjoy their wonderful and tourist-friendly rail system at its fullest (sic).

Image
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83
 
mham001
Posts: 5650
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:52 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:57 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Pakistan was a popular tourist destination in the 1970's with tourists from all over the world when it was on the Hippie Trail


Except the hippie/backpack crowd doesn't spend money. Not much point in trying to attract them.
 
Jameselsworth
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:16 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:13 am

If they resolve their internal terrorism problem then definitely tourism will increase. There are loads of place to visit including old monuments, mosques, trekking.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 18094
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:02 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
the improved security situation.


Good job it's "improved"...

Categorised terrorist attacks so far in 2019:

Jan - Loralai attack - nine people killed

Feb - Balochistan attack - six people killed

Apr - Makran massacre - 14 people killed

Apr - Quetta bombing - 21 people killed

May - Lahore bombing - 13 people killed

May - Pearl Continental Hotel attack - five people killed

ArchGuy1 wrote:
If they resolve their internal terrorism problem then definitely tourism will increase.


Very large swathes of Pakistan are basically lawless. It isn't being resolved any time soon.

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Pakistan was a popular tourist destination in the 1970's with tourists from all over the world when it was on the Hippie Trail


1970 was very nearly 50 years ago. Things are somewhat different now and not in a good way.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
msaaim89
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:46 pm

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:53 am

EstherLouise wrote:
I can hardly wait to go to Pakistan to enjoy their wonderful and tourist-friendly rail system at its fullest (sic).

Image


Isn't that actually in India?
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 9755
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:15 pm

Pakistan has some promise.

Image
Nanga Parbat, the ninth-highest mountain on Earth


https://www.thebrokebackpacker.com/travel-to-pakistan/
a nutshell, Pakistan is an adventure playground. This is a country which truly has everything; friendly locals, stunning landscapes, incredible treks, untapped white water rafting, undiscovered expeditions, colorful festivals, tasty food, and just enough thrills to keep you on your toes.

A trip to Pakistan is not your standard adventure, this is a chance to really connect with the local people and to see a country which, really, nobody knows much about.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
LH658
Posts: 1049
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:45 am

scbriml wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
the improved security situation.


Good job it's "improved"...

Categorised terrorist attacks so far in 2019:

Jan - Loralai attack - nine people killed

Feb - Balochistan attack - six people killed

Apr - Makran massacre - 14 people killed

Apr - Quetta bombing - 21 people killed

May - Lahore bombing - 13 people killed

May - Pearl Continental Hotel attack - five people killed

ArchGuy1 wrote:
If they resolve their internal terrorism problem then definitely tourism will increase.


Very large swathes of Pakistan are basically lawless. It isn't being resolved any time soon.

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Pakistan was a popular tourist destination in the 1970's with tourists from all over the world when it was on the Hippie Trail


1970 was very nearly 50 years ago. Things are somewhat different now and not in a good way.


Are we gunna make list of how much crime, shootings, and other crimes that have happened across the UK or USA?
 
Clipper727
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:00 pm

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:19 am

I have been to both countries for work. I have never wanted to leave a place as fast as I wanted to get the hell out of Mumbai. That being said- Pakistan has potential but not there just yet.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 18094
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:54 am

LH658 wrote:
Are we gunna make list of how much crime, shootings, and other crimes that have happened across the UK or USA?


Why on Earth would we do that? :confused:

The claim was that the security situation in Pakistan was "much improved". I listed the acknowledged terrorist incidents that have occurred so far this year. I chose to ignore other insanities like endemic honour killings.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 6841
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:06 pm

If the tourists are to come they must feel safe and comfortable in the country. Don't want them to be seen as valuable hostage targets as seen in african countries. I think the tourist trade is a very long way off yet.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
chimborazo
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:06 pm

I’ve worked in Lahore for about 3 months total across 7 trips. One of the best places I’ve worked. People are incredibly friendly. Have also visited Multan for a meeting.
Lahore is good for tourists- many interesting places to visit.
Security team needed because big white guy like me stands out.
I’m working in Kolkata now and it’s nowhere neare as good as Pakistan.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:25 pm

casinterest wrote:
Pakistan has some promise.

Image
Nanga Parbat, the ninth-highest mountain on Earth


https://www.thebrokebackpacker.com/travel-to-pakistan/
a nutshell, Pakistan is an adventure playground. This is a country which truly has everything; friendly locals, stunning landscapes, incredible treks, untapped white water rafting, undiscovered expeditions, colorful festivals, tasty food, and just enough thrills to keep you on your toes.

A trip to Pakistan is not your standard adventure, this is a chance to really connect with the local people and to see a country which, really, nobody knows much about.

K2, the world's second highest mountain is also in Pakistan.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:43 pm

Here is an article that talks about the possibility of Princess Kate and Prince William's visit to Pakistan reviving tourism in the country. The article talks about how popular Pakistan was for adventure tourists in the late 1990's up until the attacks on 9/11/2001 in the United States. After 9/11, terrorism and secretarian violence increased in Pakistan with parts of the country once popular with tourists becoming a no go zone. This lasted until the 2014 Peshawar attack when Pakistan said enough. Since then, security has improved and tourists are started to come back to Pakistan.
https://www.newsweek.com/will-royal-vis ... sm-1465786
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:01 pm

If you're in the tourism industry, bear in mind ~ half the world's population is women. I like travelling alone, but because I'm female most of South Asia is just too dangerous for a female traveller. Sri Lanka is the only one I might be able to feel safe doing some day.

So far, it's basically Europe, Australia, Canada, USA, New Zealand and parts of East Asia (Taiwan and Hong Kong were safe, mainland China was not) that are truly safe for women. Everywhere else needs to do more to protect women.

I'll add to that to say I consider some places to be relatively low risk compared to their surrounding regions, if I were to go to Africa, South Africa and Namibia are on my list of places to go. As I mentioned, Sri Lanka is where I'd go for south Asia. I'd love to see South America but I've yet to hear of someplace particularly safe for women.
Last edited by Jouhou on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:08 pm

Pakistan got ranked as the #1 destination for 2020 by Condé Nast. I'm Pakistani so I'm mixed on whether I want it to become a big tourist destination. It could use the PR boost, but at the same time, I enjoy being able to have it all to myself. It's a very underrated and well kept gem right now and I want to keep it a secret. :D

https://www.cntraveller.com/gallery/bes ... tions-2020

Image
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:16 pm

Jouhou wrote:
If you're in the tourism industry, bear in mind ~ half the world's population is women. I like travelling alone, but because I'm female most of South Asia is just too dangerous for a female traveller. Sri Lanka is the only one I might be able to feel safe doing some day.

So far, it's basically Europe, Australia, Canada, USA, New Zealand and parts of East Asia (Taiwan and Hong Kong were safe, mainland China was not) that are truly safe for women. Everywhere else needs to do more to protect women.


Pakistan gets lumped in with India as far as women's safety is concerned which imo is a bit unfair. Pakistan is significantly less crowded than India in all respects, which is a good thing. Be wary of Indians who will try to scare off Westerners from visiting Pakistan. Pakistan is significantly safer for women than India pretty much everywhere as long as you take some basic courtesy like headscarf (which isn't even mandatory) and dress the same as the locals, you will enjoy Pakistan and have a good time. Karachi has some problems with mobile snatchings so maybe stay away from Karachi if that is a concern. However, Lahore, Islamabad, Skardu, are very safe and highly recommended for anyone. Lahore's history, food, and culture is second to none, Islamabad is a bit too safe and bureaucratic if you ask me. And the Northern Areas are gorgeous and cannot be described with words. Some of the highest mountains in the world are up there, enough said. Kate and William did just visit Pakistan after all. You cannot buy that kind of publicity haha.
Last edited by sonicruiser on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:23 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
Pakistan got ranked as the #1 destination for 2020 by Condé Nast. I'm Pakistani so I'm mixed on whether I want it to become a big tourist destination. It could use the PR boost, but at the same time, I enjoy being able to have it all to myself. It's a very underrated and well kept gem right now and I want to keep it a secret. :D

https://www.cntraveller.com/gallery/bes ... tions-2020

Image

During the 1970's, Pakistan was a very popular tourist destination by the standards of the era and included travelers on the Hippie Trail from Istanbul to New Delhi. The country remained quite popular until the attacks on 9/11/2001 in the United States.
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:29 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
If you're in the tourism industry, bear in mind ~ half the world's population is women. I like travelling alone, but because I'm female most of South Asia is just too dangerous for a female traveller. Sri Lanka is the only one I might be able to feel safe doing some day.

So far, it's basically Europe, Australia, Canada, USA, New Zealand and parts of East Asia (Taiwan and Hong Kong were safe, mainland China was not) that are truly safe for women. Everywhere else needs to do more to protect women.


Pakistan gets lumped in with India as far as women's safety is concerned which imo is a bit unfair. Be wary of Indians who will try to scare off Westerners from visiting Pakistan. Pakistan is significantly safer for women than India pretty much everywhere as long as you take some basic courtesy like headscarf (which isn't even mandatory) and dress the same as the locals, you will enjoy Pakistan and have a good time. Karachi has some problems with mobile snatchings so maybe stay away from Karachi if that is a concern. However, Lahore, Islamabad, Skardu, are very safe and highly recommended for anyone. Lahore's history, food, and culture is second to none, Islamabad is a bit too safe and bureaucratic if you ask me. And the Northern Areas are gorgeous and cannot be described with words. Some of the highest mountains in the world are up there, enough said. Kate and William did just visit Pakistan after all. You cannot buy that kind of publicity haha.



It should be noted that I'd also worry that in countries where women are expected to dress very conservatively I'd overheat and feel sick the whole time. I come from a cold climate, it takes months for the body to adapt to a warm climate by not producing extra heat. When I go to warm places in the winter I end up wearing a tank top while everyone else is wearing a coat because my body is used to churning out extra heat.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:34 pm

Jouhou wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
If you're in the tourism industry, bear in mind ~ half the world's population is women. I like travelling alone, but because I'm female most of South Asia is just too dangerous for a female traveller. Sri Lanka is the only one I might be able to feel safe doing some day.

So far, it's basically Europe, Australia, Canada, USA, New Zealand and parts of East Asia (Taiwan and Hong Kong were safe, mainland China was not) that are truly safe for women. Everywhere else needs to do more to protect women.


Pakistan gets lumped in with India as far as women's safety is concerned which imo is a bit unfair. Be wary of Indians who will try to scare off Westerners from visiting Pakistan. Pakistan is significantly safer for women than India pretty much everywhere as long as you take some basic courtesy like headscarf (which isn't even mandatory) and dress the same as the locals, you will enjoy Pakistan and have a good time. Karachi has some problems with mobile snatchings so maybe stay away from Karachi if that is a concern. However, Lahore, Islamabad, Skardu, are very safe and highly recommended for anyone. Lahore's history, food, and culture is second to none, Islamabad is a bit too safe and bureaucratic if you ask me. And the Northern Areas are gorgeous and cannot be described with words. Some of the highest mountains in the world are up there, enough said. Kate and William did just visit Pakistan after all. You cannot buy that kind of publicity haha.



It should be noted that I'd also worry that in countries where women are expected to dress very conservatively I'd overheat and feel sick the whole time. I come from a cold climate, it takes months for the body to adapt to a warm climate by not producing extra heat. When I go to warm places in the winter I end up wearing a tank top while everyone else is wearing a coat because my body is used to churning out extra heat.

Turkey is a great country in the Muslim world for solo women to visit and tank tops are acceptable in Western Turkey where Western tourists are common. This includes Istanbul and Ephesus. That is of course unless you are visiting a mosque, church, or synagogue. The Hagia Sophia though is currently a museum and not a place of worship. From what I heard from some travelers, including solo females during the past 2 to 3 years, they felt safer in Turkey than Britain or the United States. Turkey is also a very Western oriented country.
Last edited by ArchGuy1 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:38 pm

Jouhou wrote:
It should be noted that I'd also worry that in countries where women are expected to dress very conservatively I'd overheat and feel sick the whole time. I come from a cold climate, it takes months for the body to adapt to a warm climate by not producing extra heat. When I go to warm places in the winter I end up wearing a tank top while everyone else is wearing a coat because my body is used to churning out extra heat.


Pakistan is not that warm in the winter tbh, it can actually get quite cold in certain areas. Lahore was below 5C a few days ago, Islamabad a similar temp. Northern Areas like Skardu and Gilgit can get even colder, and regularly dip into -10C and below with a lot of snow up in the mountains. If you are from a cold climate, you are probably used to this.
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:50 pm

You must visit Kaghan Valley Saif-ul-Maluk if you get the chance. It is truly heaven on earth.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/trav ... l-wonders/

Some good videos from the northern areas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhtA-HTFVsk

Image
Last edited by sonicruiser on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:51 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
If you're in the tourism industry, bear in mind ~ half the world's population is women. I like travelling alone, but because I'm female most of South Asia is just too dangerous for a female traveller. Sri Lanka is the only one I might be able to feel safe doing some day.

So far, it's basically Europe, Australia, Canada, USA, New Zealand and parts of East Asia (Taiwan and Hong Kong were safe, mainland China was not) that are truly safe for women. Everywhere else needs to do more to protect women.


Pakistan gets lumped in with India as far as women's safety is concerned which imo is a bit unfair. Pakistan is significantly less crowded than India in all respects, which is a good thing. Be wary of Indians who will try to scare off Westerners from visiting Pakistan. Pakistan is significantly safer for women than India pretty much everywhere as long as you take some basic courtesy like headscarf (which isn't even mandatory) and dress the same as the locals, you will enjoy Pakistan and have a good time. Karachi has some problems with mobile snatchings so maybe stay away from Karachi if that is a concern. However, Lahore, Islamabad, Skardu, are very safe and highly recommended for anyone. Lahore's history, food, and culture is second to none, Islamabad is a bit too safe and bureaucratic if you ask me. And the Northern Areas are gorgeous and cannot be described with words. Some of the highest mountains in the world are up there, enough said. Kate and William did just visit Pakistan after all. You cannot buy that kind of publicity haha.

In Islamabad, the Faisal Mosque is worth a visit.
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:53 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
It should be noted that I'd also worry that in countries where women are expected to dress very conservatively I'd overheat and feel sick the whole time. I come from a cold climate, it takes months for the body to adapt to a warm climate by not producing extra heat. When I go to warm places in the winter I end up wearing a tank top while everyone else is wearing a coat because my body is used to churning out extra heat.


Pakistan is not that warm in the winter tbh, it can actually get quite cold in certain areas. Lahore was below 5C a few days ago, Islamabad a similar temp. Northern Areas like Skardu and Gilgit can get even colder, and regularly dip into -10C and below with a lot of snow up in the mountains. If you are from a cold climate, you are probably used to this.


Yeah, I figured the mountainous northern areas might not be too hot. I just know that we just had a couple of abnormally warm days here (19C high) and I've been sweating profusely the whole time.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:54 pm

Jouhou wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
It should be noted that I'd also worry that in countries where women are expected to dress very conservatively I'd overheat and feel sick the whole time. I come from a cold climate, it takes months for the body to adapt to a warm climate by not producing extra heat. When I go to warm places in the winter I end up wearing a tank top while everyone else is wearing a coat because my body is used to churning out extra heat.


Pakistan is not that warm in the winter tbh, it can actually get quite cold in certain areas. Lahore was below 5C a few days ago, Islamabad a similar temp. Northern Areas like Skardu and Gilgit can get even colder, and regularly dip into -10C and below with a lot of snow up in the mountains. If you are from a cold climate, you are probably used to this.


Yeah, I figured the mountainous northern areas might not be too hot. I just know that we just had a couple of abnormally warm days here (19C high) and I've been sweating profusely the whole time.

Where do you live currently.
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:18 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

Pakistan is not that warm in the winter tbh, it can actually get quite cold in certain areas. Lahore was below 5C a few days ago, Islamabad a similar temp. Northern Areas like Skardu and Gilgit can get even colder, and regularly dip into -10C and below with a lot of snow up in the mountains. If you are from a cold climate, you are probably used to this.


Yeah, I figured the mountainous northern areas might not be too hot. I just know that we just had a couple of abnormally warm days here (19C high) and I've been sweating profusely the whole time.

Where do you live currently.


Northeastern US. I'm pretty sure if temperature records for the past couple of days weren't broken it came close. This is usually the time of year when temperatures are breaking record lows, not highs. When I was a kid this was the time of year the school bus's diesel cross and we'd be stranded in the woods for hours and they couldn't send a rescue bus because everyone's diesel froze (they'd eventually let parents with gasoline fueled cars pick us up and bring us to school even though this was technically illegal- it's better than letting us freeze to death)
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:20 am

Some pics from a recent trip I had to Lahore and Islamabad

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
 
mrgrtt123
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:09 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:20 am

I believe that every country has its own beauty. Pakistan is not on bucket list of countries to visit while I am alive but there is some historical landmark that makes the country stand out. Last year, US magazine include Pakistan to be one of the tourist destinations to visit this year.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:22 am

mrgrtt123 wrote:
I believe that every country has its own beauty. Pakistan is not on bucket list of countries to visit while I am alive but there is some historical landmark that makes the country stand out. Last year, US magazine include Pakistan to be one of the tourist destinations to visit this year.

Egypt is another big tourist destination to visit this year, especially with the opening of the Grand Egyptian Museum.
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:03 am

I snapped these mostly between Rawalpindi/Islamabad

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:04 am

Some Lahore mixed in with more ISB

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:05 am

Firing off one last round from Azad Kashmir

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:06 am

Looks like I got a bit carried away. Sorry if I annoyed anyone with all my pics ;)

Considering Pakistan's toxic and cancerous reputation here in the west, I figured I'd do my best to show my side of the country I used to call home. I'll let these pics speak for themselves so people can see what Pakistan is really like.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:35 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
mrgrtt123 wrote:
I believe that every country has its own beauty. Pakistan is not on bucket list of countries to visit while I am alive but there is some historical landmark that makes the country stand out. Last year, US magazine include Pakistan to be one of the tourist destinations to visit this year.

Egypt is another big tourist destination to visit this year, especially with the opening of the Grand Egyptian Museum.


I would avoid Egypt until the political and security situation stabilizes a bit more.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:39 am

Aaron747 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
mrgrtt123 wrote:
I believe that every country has its own beauty. Pakistan is not on bucket list of countries to visit while I am alive but there is some historical landmark that makes the country stand out. Last year, US magazine include Pakistan to be one of the tourist destinations to visit this year.

Egypt is another big tourist destination to visit this year, especially with the opening of the Grand Egyptian Museum.


I would avoid Egypt until the political and security situation stabilizes a bit more.

Is Pakistan a place that you would go to at this time.
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:51 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Egypt is another big tourist destination to visit this year, especially with the opening of the Grand Egyptian Museum.


I would avoid Egypt until the political and security situation stabilizes a bit more.

Is Pakistan a place that you would go to at this time.


Without doing research, my judgement would be that Egypt might be safer for a US citizen because Pakistanis might have harsher feelings about americans. The perception might be different for a traveler from another country. For instance, violence in Egypt might get amplified in European media because it's so close to europe. Meanwhile we see both in equal amounts from the U.S. media standpoint and might make a judgement based on hearing about Pakistanis disliking Americans but never hearing anything about Egyptians disliking americans.

Where tourists feel is safe for them is a matter of perception more than anything.
 
L410Turbolet
Posts: 6122
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 9:12 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:22 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Egypt is another big tourist destination to visit this year, especially with the opening of the Grand Egyptian Museum.


I would avoid Egypt until the political and security situation stabilizes a bit more.

Is Pakistan a place that you would go to at this time.


Pakistan being considered a failed state certainly is a factor against going anytime in the foreseeable future.
BTW, feel free to use question marks at the end of a sentence.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:12 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
Looks like I got a bit carried away. Sorry if I annoyed anyone with all my pics ;)

Considering Pakistan's toxic and cancerous reputation here in the west, I figured I'd do my best to show my side of the country I used to call home. I'll let these pics speak for themselves so people can see what Pakistan is really like.

Is Pakistan safe to visit as an American and how do Pakistanis feel about Americans.
 
LoganExpress
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:09 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:46 am

I went to college with a few Pakistanis and visited for a wedding there. I found every single pakistani I met to be nice and welcoming. I'm talking the entire trip from family to street sellers to police. Pakistanis had a million questions about the U.S. and I don't believe any of them disliked it.

I'm sure there are people who do though as there are in most countries but if you for example visit Lahore, as long as you respect the local culture (which we did - I didn't wear shorts as we went to a mosque) everyone is extremely gracious.

I was with local folks but I would thoroughly pre-plan a trip before reaching the country if you don't know people there
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Pakistan as a Tourist Destination

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:54 am

LoganExpress wrote:
I went to college with a few Pakistanis and visited for a wedding there. I found every single pakistani I met to be nice and welcoming. I'm talking the entire trip from family to street sellers to police. Pakistanis had a million questions about the U.S. and I don't believe any of them disliked it.

I'm sure there are people who do though as there are in most countries but if you for example visit Lahore, as long as you respect the local culture (which we did - I didn't wear shorts as we went to a mosque) everyone is extremely gracious.

I was with local folks but I would thoroughly pre-plan a trip before reaching the country if you don't know people there


Thanks for the kind words! Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BlueberryWheats and 41 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos