ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Towing a Loaded Trailer With a Bus

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:00 am

What exactly is it like towing a loaded trailer with a bus of any kind like a full sized bus or a small shuttle type bus.

fr8mech

Re: Towing a Loaded Trailer With a Bus

Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:41 pm

What does that mean?

ArchGuy1 wrote:
What exactly is it like towing a loaded trailer with a bus of any kind like a full sized bus or a small shuttle type bus.

It is exactly like towing anything. You make sure the tow vehicle and hitch are rated for the weight and that the trailer load is properly distributed across the trailer.

https://youtu.be/6mW_gzdh6to
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Okie

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:19 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:

Nothing different than any other tow. Match the capacity to the hitch.

I see all kinds of tows on Class B, B+, C and Class A Motorhomes.
However if you are planning on hauling something seriously heavy then I would suggest a Toterhome that is constructed from a truck chassis.

Okie

Kno

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:19 pm

What’s a “loaded” trailer? You can have a loaded Uhaul 5x8 or a loaded 24’ enclosed trailer that weighs 10x more.

A full size bus or a small shuttle bus? Which is it? The two will two very differently.

What model of bus is it and what engine is in it? Diesel, gas? Etc.

You can’t expect an answer that means anything without the above details because there is a wide range of what this towing situation could be like.

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:29 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:

As others have commented; your question requires some definition.
But in the meantime, I hope this aviation site allows at least one of these images of a British European Airways (BEA) Routemaster bus complete with luggage trailer.
These vehicles shuttled passengers who arrived at the West London Air Terminal in central London and were then shuttled via the M4 motorway to LHR Heathrow circa mid 1960s to sometime in the 70's. They were geared at that time for a ridiculously dizzy 70mph :bigthumbsup: (although subsequent UK legislation has restricted ALL trailers to 60mph or less.)
The mere thought of a double-decker Routemaster hitting 70mph (even without a trailer) leaves me flabbergasted.

The thumbnail below shows a pair of Routemasters plus trailers outside Heathrow terminal 2 in 1972
Thx as ever to wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_London_Air_Terminal

p.s. wasn't it a Routemaster bus that James Bond (Roger Moore) converted to a single-decker after he drove it under a low bridge somewhere in the Caribbean?
Nothing to see here; move along please.

CPH-R

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:52 pm

For what it's worth, if it's anything like driving an articulated bus, it's a piece of cake. Then again, one of our articulated bus types (Volvo 7900A Hybrid) can be a bit disconcerting to drive around tight corners, as the rear part deviates from the track by up to half a meter. It's not much, but as I said, a bit disconcerting when you're driving around a corner lined with concrete barriers.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:33 pm

CPH-R wrote:
For what it's worth, if it's anything like driving an articulated bus, it's a piece of cake. Then again, one of our articulated bus types (Volvo 7900A Hybrid) can be a bit disconcerting to drive around tight corners, as the rear part deviates from the track by up to half a meter. It's not much, but as I said, a bit disconcerting when you're driving around a corner lined with concrete barriers.

I was talking more like a horse trailer, U haul trailer, or boat trailer rather than an articulated bus.

anrec80

Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:57 pm

There is no issue here. In Canada, it’s very common to hook trailers to scheduled buses to carry more packages, to provide bus “express package” service. Many rural and isolated communities are dependent on this “bus parcel service”. It’s quite fast and cheap, and is of great value if you are willing to drop your shipment off at your bus station, and your recipient is OK picking it up at theirs. Quite popular service to send gifts.

When I was living in Manitoba - I’ve seen a trailer full of these packages hooked to virtually any long distance bus going to the north of Winnipeg.

fr8mech

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:44 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
I was talking more like a horse trailer, U haul trailer, or boat trailer rather than an articulated bus.

As long as the tow vehicle and hitch system are rated for the weight of the trailer/load, then it’s not a problem. Acceleration may be slower, and stopping distances increase, but that’s to be expected. Watch your turns, depending on the length of the combined vehicle and the pivot point, you’ll need to widen your turns, start them a little later or both.

And, in the name of all things holy and unholy, learn how to back the damn thing up before you hit the road.

https://youtu.be/2oq0YNo02KM

WIederling

Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:00 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
CPH-R wrote:

Coaches ( here often allowed to do 100km/h on the Autobahn ) with trailers ( one single or tandem axle, also 100km/h certified ) for excess baggage or pushbike storage are reasonably popular.

you just don't notice it. ( and you will have issues seeing it in the rear view mirrors.)
This is a danger.
Reversing is an issue too.
Murphy is an optimist

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:03 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

As others have commented; your question requires some definition.
But in the meantime, I hope this aviation site allows at least one of these images of a British European Airways (BEA) Routemaster bus complete with luggage trailer.
These vehicles shuttled passengers who arrived at the West London Air Terminal in central London and were then shuttled via the M4 motorway to LHR Heathrow circa mid 1960s to sometime in the 70's. They were geared at that time for a ridiculously dizzy 70mph :bigthumbsup: (although subsequent UK legislation has restricted ALL trailers to 60mph or less.)
The mere thought of a double-decker Routemaster hitting 70mph (even without a trailer) leaves me flabbergasted.

The thumbnail below shows a pair of Routemasters plus trailers outside Heathrow terminal 2 in 1972
Thx as ever to wikipedia

p.s. wasn't it a Routemaster bus that James Bond (Roger Moore) converted to a single-decker after he drove it under a low bridge somewhere in the Caribbean?

What was it like for the Routemasters to tow the luggage trailers at 70 mph.

seb146

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:16 am

I remember going to Vancouver BC one time and seeing Greyhound pulling a trailer to Calgary. I see the super large motor homes pulling toy hauler trailers all the time.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

fr8mech

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:34 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. If the trailer is properly loaded, it's a non-event, assuming the tow vehicle & trailer are capable of, and stable at 70mph.

If the tow vehicle can't make 70mph, then it doesn't make 70mph. If the trailer isn't capable of 70mph, things come apart...usually the tire/wheels. That may be preceded by the trailer starting to get a little loose.

SheikhDjibouti

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:10 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:

Thx as ever to wikipedia

ArchGuy1 wrote:

Scary, very scary.
I guess when it came to dealing with crosswinds, it helped if the driver was ex Navy and had some experience of tacking into the wind.
Meanwhile, the combination of a front end like.... ...well, like a bus, with aerodynamics that weren't exactly optimal, plus the Routemaster's rather ancient engine, I can only presume they must have employed two navvies busy sweating away shovelling coal into the boilers. :lol:

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:29 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:

Thx as ever to wikipedia

ArchGuy1 wrote:

Scary, very scary.
I guess when it came to dealing with crosswinds, it helped if the driver was ex Navy and had some experience of tacking into the wind.
Meanwhile, the combination of a front end like.... ...well, like a bus, with aerodynamics that weren't exactly optimal, plus the Routemaster's rather ancient engine, I can only presume they must have employed two navvies busy sweating away shovelling coal into the boilers. :lol:

Did going 70 mph towing a luggage trailer create a lot of stress on both the bus and the luggage trailer.

readytotaxi

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:54 pm

My school friends dad was a driver on the route,back in the day, he said that the drivers were told to stay in lane 1 on the M4 and keep at 50-55mph.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

WIederling

Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:52 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:

No Routemaster passes the 50mph mark on a level road.
top speed is 42 .. 48 mph ( what do you expect from <200hp ? )
Murphy is an optimist

SheikhDjibouti

Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:33 pm

WIederling wrote:
No Routemaster passes the 50mph mark on a level road.
top speed is 42 .. 48 mph ( what do you expect from <200hp ? )

I'm sorry, but I cannot let you get away with that. :shakehead:
The standard Routemaster had a puny 115 bhp engine, and was indeed rarely expected to exceed 40mph.
However, my original quote states quite clearly that the BEA version was geared for 70mph. I know I made fun of it, but the fact remains.
So here's the small print;
The RMC (Green Line) model included "a higher rear axle ratio (4.7:1 instead of the usual 5.22:1) to permit higher speed running"
The RCL (also Green Line) model included a larger engine providing a class leading 150 bhp :o to permit even more speed
And finally we have the RMA (built for BEA) which had even higher rear axle ratio (4.08:1) combined with a whopping 175 bhp from an 11.3 litre AV690 diesel engine.
It might not be much by today's standards, but with these incremental improvements I believe 70mph would be just about possible.

Hence your statement should read
"no standard Routemaster passes the 50mph mark on a level road"

Whether BEA drivers ever actually ran at the full 70mph, with or without a trailer, is a matter for some conjecture. In the 1960's they might have been just mad enough to push these limits. But by the 1970's I would agree with readytotaxi
readytotaxi wrote:
the drivers were told to stay in lane 1 on the M4 and keep at 50-55mph. :checkmark:

WIederling

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:16 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Hence your statement should read
"no standard Routemaster passes the 50mph mark on a level road"

thanks for the hint. :-)
I had looked around and the regular run of Routemasters seemed to top out below 50mph.
For a barn door like conveyance that the Routemaster is engine power obviously is meager.

What is road legal in the UK for towing a trailer?
Here in Germany it is 80km/h / 55mph for plain trailers.
Special permit for some types to go 100km/h / 65mph
( same for coaches with permit : 100km/h usually more effective brakes and tires, shock absorbers )
Murphy is an optimist

SheikhDjibouti

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:39 pm

WIederling wrote:
What is road legal in the UK for towing a trailer?
Here in Germany it is 80km/h / 55mph for plain trailers.

Towing a trailer
On single carriageway roads; 50mph (vs 60mph for solo cars)
On dual carriageway & motorways 60mph (vs 70mph for solo cars)

There are now also age limits before you can add a trailer, and possibly even a car + trailer driving test (for heavier vehicle + trailer combinations).

But back in the days when BEA were running their buses, none of this applied.
Indeed, with the advent of motorways in the UK (1959), some coach companies introduced high speed services boasting up to 90mph (a considerable increase from the pitiful 30mph limit introduced in 1930) :o
This couldn't last, and was brought back down to the current 70mph general limit in 1967.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:48 am

anrec80 wrote:
There is no issue here. In Canada, it’s very common to hook trailers to scheduled buses to carry more packages, to provide bus “express package” service. Many rural and isolated communities are dependent on this “bus parcel service”. It’s quite fast and cheap, and is of great value if you are willing to drop your shipment off at your bus station, and your recipient is OK picking it up at theirs. Quite popular service to send gifts.

When I was living in Manitoba - I’ve seen a trailer full of these packages hooked to virtually any long distance bus going to the north of Winnipeg.

What is it like for the buses in Canada to tow the parcel trailers.

Kiwirob

Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:21 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
anrec80 wrote:

Maybe just maybe you could post that question on a forum for bus spotters in Canada, you’ll probably get a stern answer than for here, an aviation forum.

71Zulu

Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:26 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:

Not an issue and you see Greyhound Canada doing this all the time. They use a pintle hook for the hitch connection which is more of a heavy duty commercial type of arrangement than a ball hitch which is more widely used in the recreational market. They also use air brakes on the trailer with truck type glad hands connectors rather than the electric brakes that are more common on trailers behind motorhomes. Their trailers probably have an air suspension too, so it's just an all out truck trailer type of operation for safety.

In the winter they probably slow down a good bit as the trailer will definitely push the bus around a little and on an icy road, you obviously don't want the rear getting loose.

This trailer operation is Canada only as far as Greyhound goes, you won't see any Greyhound bus pulling a trailer in the US.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:39 pm

71Zulu wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Not an issue and you see Greyhound Canada doing this all the time. They use a pintle hook for the hitch connection which is more of a heavy duty commercial type of arrangement than a ball hitch which is more widely used in the recreational market. They also use air brakes on the trailer with truck type glad hands connectors rather than the electric brakes that are more common on trailers behind motorhomes. Their trailers probably have an air suspension too, so it's just an all out truck trailer type of operation for safety.

In the winter they probably slow down a good bit as the trailer will definitely push the bus around a little and on an icy road, you obviously don't want the rear getting loose.

This trailer operation is Canada only as far as Greyhound goes, you won't see any Greyhound bus pulling a trailer in the US.
What is the speed limit in dry conditions for the buses towing the postal trailers.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:46 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
71Zulu wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

What is the speed limit in dry conditions for the buses towing the postal trailers.

What is the speed limit for the buses towing the parcel trailers.

71Zulu

Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:46 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
What is the speed limit for the buses towing the parcel trailers.

I believe it is whatever the truck speed limit would be, usually either 110 km/h or 120 km/h which is also max car speed except for Quebec and Ontario which have a max 105 km/h truck speed and the truck computer must be calibrated so the truck cannot exceed this speed, but dont believe this applies to buses even with trailers. You see them moving right along with traffic so dont think they have any lower limit. On the truck speed, even US trucks entering these two provinces must have their engine computer reset to limit the truck to 65 mph, the US equivalent to 105 km/h or it is a violation and citation if caught.

ACDC8

Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:59 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:

What do you mean "what is it like"?

You put the trailer on the hitch of the bus, attach the glad-hands for the air, the harness for the lights and drive like you normally drive. There is really no real difference driving an MCI D4500 with or without a trailer.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:24 am

71Zulu wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Why do the Greyhound buses pull trailers in Canada, but not the United States.

ACDC8

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:09 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:

Greyhound in Canada was a money losing business for years, parcel delivery was used to try and subsidize the passenger service and create more revenue. Doesn't matter anymore, because outside of Ontario and Quebec and the Vancouver to Seattle run (operated by Greyhound USA), you won't see Greyhound anywhere in Canada anymore.

71Zulu

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:07 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
Greyhound in Canada was a money losing business for years, parcel delivery was used to try and subsidize the passenger service and create more revenue. Doesn't matter anymore, because outside of Ontario and Quebec and the Vancouver to Seattle run (operated by Greyhound USA), you won't see Greyhound anywhere in Canada anymore.

Shocking development and I had no idea. I knew they were struggling and I do remember some of the recent cuts but I had no idea it would ever come to this. Best of luck to the people of these communities.

ArchGuy1 wrote:

My guess is the outlying rural cities having no other regular parcel service like we did here in the states created a demand beyond what just could fit in the bus, so the trailer made sense. And probably service frequencies were not what they were here either, in the US some cities get many buses per day so with non-time sensitive freight you have a chance to catch up.

So Greyhound Canada is now following the path of Greyhound USA and will become a smaller carrier who will only serve the big cities and there will be little to no service to rural areas unless the government there steps in with a subsidy. Very sad to see this.

ACDC8

Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:53 pm

71Zulu wrote:
So Greyhound Canada is now following the path of Greyhound USA and will become a smaller carrier who will only serve the big cities and there will be little to no service to rural areas unless the government there steps in with a subsidy. Very sad to see this.

Like aviation, the geographic and population of Canada vs the US make it a very different market. Greyhound Canada has been reducing service for years in Western Canada for years, for example, the bus out of Whitehorse typically only had 1-3 passengers on board (hence the trailer to try and reduce revenue loss). A few other carriers started up service in Western Canada shortly after, at least on the major routes.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:08 am

I actually saw several church buses towing trailers with pool supplies in New Braunfels, Texas this past July

71Zulu

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:01 am

Smaller musical groups in the US often tow trailers behind their tour buses, saves them the cost of renting a truck.

71Zulu

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:27 pm

Guess we won't be seeing this any more ..ImageImage

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:32 am

71Zulu wrote:
Smaller musical groups in the US often tow trailers behind their tour buses, saves them the cost of renting a truck.

What is it like for the musical tour buses to tow trailers and what speed do they generally travel at when towing.

71Zulu

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:36 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
71Zulu wrote:

what speed do they generally travel at when towing.

If there's a split speed limit, they will follow the truck speed limit otherwise they are free to run max car speed.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:15 am

71Zulu wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
71Zulu wrote:

what speed do they generally travel at when towing.

If there's a split speed limit, they will follow the truck speed limit otherwise they are free to run max car speed.

Does towing the trailer cause any issues on the musical tour buses at high speed.