Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hongkongflyer

Re: SFO bans sale of plastic water bottles

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:38 am

AaronPGH wrote:
I don't understand how anyone could be spouting off against this. We have a MASSIVE problem with plastics and microplastics. It has to start somewhere. I hope this trend continues beyond airports.

because the ban will actually create more rubbish; waste and consumption of resources.

AaronPGH

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:52 am

hongkongflyer wrote:
AaronPGH wrote:
I don't understand how anyone could be spouting off against this. We have a MASSIVE problem with plastics and microplastics. It has to start somewhere. I hope this trend continues beyond airports.

because the ban will actually create more rubbish; waste and consumption of resources.

Explain

gregn21

Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:37 am

MAH4546 wrote:
Ridiculous nanny state regulation. Just as stupid and pointless as banning plastic straws, which also accomplishes absolutely nothing.

This is a prime example why a.net needs to have a like button.

MartijnNL

Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:49 am

MAH4546 wrote:
Ridiculous nanny state regulation.

Ridiculous reply. All airports and all stores worldwide should stop selling plastic bottles. There are plenty of alternatives which are less harmful to the environment.

MAH4546 wrote:
Just as stupid and pointless as banning plastic straws, which also accomplishes absolutely nothing.

Why would banning 500,000,000 plastic straws daily in the United States alone accomplish nothing?

bennett123

Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:55 am

Assuming that the options are Metal, Glass or Plastic and that the same proportion are re cycled then my understanding is that the first and second do less damage to the planet than the third. It therefore seems logical to reduce plastic.

What I fail to understand is people littering. Perhaps the cops need to come down hard on this.

tommy1808

Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:12 am

MAH4546 wrote:
Ridiculous nanny state regulation. Just as stupid and pointless as banning plastic straws, which also accomplishes absolutely nothing.

Exactly. They should simple ban all one time use plastic items...

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

SQ22

Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:18 am

I have moved this thread into the Non-Aviation Forum because of its environmental protection and political dimension.

Redd

Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:24 am

MAH4546 wrote:

Hey, did you know that people with <IQ83 aren't allowed to serve in the military? It's because they'd do more harm than good despite their best intentions. What do you think about banning people with <IQ83 from posting on the internet?

It's clearly apparent that some people need to be nannied.

KFLLCFII

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:00 am

The next Big One will cause so much environmental waste around the greater SFO region that this ban will seem like a handful of sand among an entire beach.

Better make sure that clean drinking water being brought in for the thirsty, dehydrated, ravaged population is in environmentally-safe containers, though. City ordinance, dontyaknow.

While the smoke billows over the city, the thousands of cartons of Dasani, Aquafina, and Zephyrhills are piling up outside the city limit.

"We must recover in an environmentally-conscious way. Now is our chance to make a change and not let this opportunity slide away from us."
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

Aaron747

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:04 am

SierraPacific wrote:
Never-ending Bay Area regulation that is probably going to have a net negative effect on global warming

But its all about the feels of saving the Earth

Source? Evidence? Whaaaa?

And anyway a net negative effect on global warming is not the goal - reducing the endless proliferation of plastic waste in waterways and the ocean is - it’s having deleterious impacts on much of the oceanic food chain we are just beginning to understand.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

BravoOne

Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:24 pm

Busyboy2 wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
Makes sense since there are so many people that can't keep this stuff out of the oceans.

Oh you like most of East Asia and Africa? North America is definitely not the problem. I can cite sources.

You are probably correct and idea is that we don't become "the problem"in the future.

DLPMMM

Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:00 pm

Why don’t they attack the problem instead of the symptom?

SFO has the most comprehensive single stream recycling system in the world.

The problem is littering, not any single constituent of the litter.

Solution is two fold.

1. Enforce litter laws very strongly with big fines and even jail time, (which they don’t do now for fear of targeting/offending the homeless and other downtrodden)

2. Very high deposit/return amount for largest components of litter...bottles, cans,...People less likely to throw away more money and homeless and downtrodden might be even more inclined to become more of a part of the solution.

ODwyerPW

Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:59 pm

Thibault973 wrote:
Only in America do companies get away with selling tap water paid for by taxpayers.

Mexico does too.... So you can hate on them as well if you like.
learning never stops.

Redd

Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:03 pm

DLPMMM wrote:

The problem isn't littering, it's western countries sending the plastic (which people thought was going to be recycled) off shore to China and some other countries. Where it's mostly dumped and ends up in the ocean.

https://www.plasticpollutioncoalition.o ... nt-in-2018

I really recommend reading up on what happens with our plastic before thinking it's a simple problem that can be solved easily. Up unitl 50-60 years ago humanity got by without using plastics, we can do it again without a problem. It's up to consumers though, governments just take half-hearted steps.

ODwyerPW

Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:07 pm

DLPMMM wrote:

You do realize hardly anything is actually getting recycled right? The days of the US selling it's garbage to other countries to recycle are coming to an end.

Recycling is the laziest 'solution' to the problem, because it doesn't require the consumer to change any of their behavior.

Consider:
Reduce: A consumer is actively looking to reduce their footprint by consuming less. Producers play a role in this as well.
Reuse: Again, looking for creative means to make use of something already produced/bought, so that you don't have to build/buy another something.
Recycle: Put it in a bin and make it someone else's problem.

SFO is just being honest with itself. No one is 'recycling'. So switch over to something renewable like the wax/cellulose boxed water for single use... or the metal bottles for multiple uses.

Humanity needs to change it's consumption. Consumers need to take responsibility for their individual footprints. Producers need to support that effort by putting the environment over profits. And let's be honest, neither will happen until it's too late.
learning never stops.

Kiwirob

Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:59 pm

Thibault973 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
https://www.citylab.com/life/2015/02/the-single-best-reason-that-boxed-water-is-better/385138/

Here is some more information on the boxed water trend. It is more environmentally friendly

It's still one of the biggest legal scam: it's just tap water, that's filtered. Its carbon footprint is a real disaster when compared to regular tap water.

Only in America do companies get away with selling tap water paid for by taxpayers.

Not only in America, Voss water from Norway is tap water from the village of Vatnestrøm in Iveland municipality, it’s jot even from Voss which is 400km away.

The Rock has just bought a stake in Voss, which by the way is owned by Reignwood Group a Thai/Chinese company. It’s not even Norwegian owned anymore.

Kiwirob

Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:06 pm

Up until about 3 years ago all Norwegian soda bottles were reusable, they were cleaned and refilled approx 5-6 times before they were recycled, now all soda bottles are single use, this was a huge backwards step in my opinion.

IPFreely

Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:40 pm

DLPMMM wrote:

Based on my last trip to San Francisco, I would say people urinating and defecating on public sidewalks and streets and leaving their deposits for others to enjoy is the problem. Certainly a bigger problem than a few plastic bottles at the airport. But bravo to SFO for addressing the important things, like water bottles :)

Aaron747

Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:48 pm

IPFreely wrote:
DLPMMM wrote:

Based on my last trip to San Francisco, I would say people urinating and defecating on public sidewalks and streets and leaving their deposits for others to enjoy is the problem. Certainly a bigger problem than a few plastic bottles at the airport. But bravo to SFO for addressing the important things, like water bottles :)

That’s only based on your sensibilities. Looking at things logically: urine and feces are temporary, highly localized, and biodegrade, unlike plastic waste. The SF area is intricately linked to seawater and depends to some degree on seaborne resources economically for food and salt processing. In the big picture, reduction of plastic waste is far more critical given its impact so far on seawater.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

VTKillarney

Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:05 am

Aaron747 wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
DLPMMM wrote:

That’s only based on your sensibilities. Looking at things logically: urine and feces are temporary, highly localized, and biodegrade, unlike plastic waste. The SF area is intricately linked to seawater and depends to some degree on seaborne resources economically for food and salt processing. In the big picture, reduction of plastic waste is far more critical given its impact so far on seawater.

It’s worse than you thought: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatl ... le/584380/

Aaron747

Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:16 am

VTKillarney wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

It’s worse than you thought: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatl ... le/584380/

That’s still very small potatoes, logically. Plastic is already theorized to be having dramatic impacts on the food chain at sea. If the seaborne food supply were to even decrease by half, there will be a mass migration like humanity has never seen. 3.5 billion people currently depend on the sea for primary food sources.

VTKillarney

Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:50 am

Aaron747 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

That’s still very small potatoes, logically. Plastic is already theorized to be having dramatic impacts on the food chain at sea. If the seaborne food supply were to even decrease by half, there will be a mass migration like humanity has never seen. 3.5 billion people currently depend on the sea for primary food sources.

It’s not at all small potatoes in comparison to San Francisco’s contribution to global plastic waste in the ocean. Quite the opposite. Especially since San Francisco’s plastic waste is buried or recycled.
Last edited by VTKillarney on Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

DLPMMM

Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:00 am

Aaron747 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Do you know the difference between theory and reality?

Controlling the waste at first possible interception point before becoming litter is the critical aspect of the problem.

If recyclers are disposing if it improperly,
Then a little regulation can go a long way.

I applaud SF for their single stream recycling efforts, but now they need to build on that by documenting the disposal methods of their downstream outsourcing of effluent and upgrading their input efficiency.

This bottle ban doesn’t do crap. I am not going to carry around an empty bottle with me, I don’t carry a purse or a backpack, and you cannot expect everyone to carry one around with them.

Aaron747

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:05 am

DLPMMM wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

Do you know the difference between theory and reality?

Controlling the waste at first possible interception point before becoming litter is the critical aspect of the problem.

If recyclers are disposing if it improperly,
Then a little regulation can go a long way.

I applaud SF for their single stream recycling efforts, but now they need to build on that by documenting the disposal methods of their downstream outsourcing of effluent and upgrading their input efficiency.

This bottle ban doesn’t do crap. I am not going to carry around an empty bottle with me, I don’t carry a purse or a backpack, and you cannot expect everyone to carry one around with them.

There are plenty of possible solutions to go around - dealing with the end results of recycling is a huge challenge, and your suggestions are of course reasonable. Logically though there is no negative to banning sales of single use plastic containers if and when other reusable materials or access points to water exist.

Aaron747

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:06 am

VTKillarney wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

It’s not at all small potatoes in comparison to San Francisco’s contribution to global plastic waste in the ocean. Quite the opposite. Especially since San Francisco’s plastic waste is buried or recycled.

Now you just negated the need to bring up homeless disease at all - nice one, and proof you don’t really care.

VTKillarney

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:09 am

Aaron747 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Now you just negated the need to bring up homeless disease at all - nice one, and proof you don’t really care.

Stop with the ad hominem attack absent any substantive contribution to the discussion. It’s the calling card of someone who has lost an argument. My point is that the homeless problem is a BIG problem in San Francisco. But that was patently obvious.

Aaron747

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:22 am

VTKillarney wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

Stop with the ad hominem attack absent any substantive contribution to the discussion. It’s the calling card of someone who has lost an argument. My point is that the homeless problem is a BIG problem in San Francisco. But that was patently obvious.

Misdirection and non sequitur are also the safe havens of those missing legs at the debate table, but that doesn’t seem to improve the substantive content of your posts.

VTKillarney

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:30 am

Do you disagree that San Francisco’s homeless problem is a bigger problem that plastic water bottles within the city limits?

Aaron747

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:56 am

VTKillarney wrote:
Do you disagree that San Francisco’s homeless problem is a bigger problem that plastic water bottles within the city limits?

I do, but a. that’s not the topic and b. homelessness is not limited to SF or California and cannot be seriously discussed without addressing federal cuts to HUD since 1978 and overregulation in housing construction.

VTKillarney

Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:01 am

Aaron747 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

I do, but a. that’s not the topic and b. homelessness is not limited to SF or California and cannot be seriously discussed without addressing federal cuts to HUD since 1978 and overregulation in housing construction.

Then you and I agree as to proportionally. Excellent! Sorry to hear about Jimmy Carter’s HUD cuts.

Aaron747

Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:06 am

VTKillarney wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

Then you and I agree as to proportionally. Excellent! Sorry to hear about Jimmy Carter’s HUD cuts.

No we don’t - your narrow context was within city limits, my concern is global and for the Pacific at large. And they are not merely Carter’s cuts - they are owned by all administrations since ‘78 as funding has never been restored to those levels despite dire need for the Vietnam veteran generation - many of whom are still on the streets.

VTKillarney

Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:09 am

Sadly, San Francisco’s ban won’t have any impact on the problem.

einsteinboricua

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:28 am

Some people truly suffer from California Derangement Syndrome (CDS): anything that CA does, it's bad and unnecessary (and the odds are that they don't even live in the state)...but states' rights, am I right? So SFO is following regulations from the city to ban single-use plastic and OMG, the horror!! You know, because the first thing everyone wants to see when they land in the Bay Area is straws littering the streets and the water.

Anyway, I can't remember the last time I bought bottled water at an airport. After many travels and lessons learned, I've always carried my Brita bottle with me. The carbon filter reduces any "fountainy" flavor and it's a free refill. Heck, I'll take it to Starbucks (or any other restaurant with a soda machine) and fill it with ice and water so that it lasts through my flight(s). Bringing a regular water bottle is nice and all, but having a wider opening is better for ice. If Brita (or any other manufacturer) sold a vacuum insulated bottle, they'd have my business immediately (the ice takes its time to melt and doesn't cause condensation).

If airports installed ice makers, I'd be set!
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

hongkongflyer

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:05 am

AaronPGH wrote:
hongkongflyer wrote:
AaronPGH wrote:

Explain

many people above have explained. Paper box (similar to the milk's) ; aluminum can etc.
The recycle rate of these "more environmental friendly" packages actually request more resources to produce/ recycle;
or the recycle rate is lower then plastic bottle.

So the world as a whole, more resources used and more waste produced

Armadillo1

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:23 am

DocLightning wrote:
Blimpie wrote:
So... what's that box made out? Paper, wood, pulp? Deforestation anyone? :P

Wax and cardboard, both renewable resources that degrade in the environment in months to years instead of centuries to millennia, like plastic. The only plastic is in the cap, which is a >90% reduction.

offtop - what a reason for plasric cap at all? instead of make some water unusable?

WarRI1

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:05 pm

I am constantly picking them up, the kids in my neighborhood throw them into the brush as they pass through my property. They should be banned, they are dumped everywhere.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

airbazar

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:12 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
https://www.citylab.com/life/2015/02/the-single-best-reason-that-boxed-water-is-better/385138/

Here is some more information on the boxed water trend. It is more environmentally friendly

It's still one of the biggest legal scam: it's just tap water, that's filtered. Its carbon footprint is a real disaster when compared to regular tap water.

Bottled water has been the scam of the century. All bottled water, unless it's actual mineral water is just filtered tap water. Yet the industry has convinced the population that it's better water. Crazy.
I've been carrying my own bottle for decades. And now that most airports have bottle refilling stations post security it's never been easier to carry your own water bottle.

DDR wrote:
So... what's that box made out? Paper, wood, pulp? Deforestation anyone? :P

Blimpie - exactly. You actually make a very good point.[/quote]
Trees that are used for paper making are farmed and renewable. The paper companies actually own and maintain these forests really well because it's in their best interest in order to stay in business. No forest = no company.

Thibault973 wrote:

Sorry but Europe is 10x worse. I just came from a 2 week vacation in Portugal and they don't even give you tap water in restaurants there. It's always bottled water served in plastic bottles. The Europeans' addiction to "plastic tap water" is sickening. I can't remember ever seeing a public drinkin water fountain in Europe. Not in an airport, not in a mall, not anywhere.

Busyboy2 wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
Makes sense since there are so many people that can't keep this stuff out of the oceans.

Oh you like most of East Asia and Africa? North America is definitely not the problem. I can cite sources.

Oh please. N.America ships this stuff to any country that will accept it which then gets sent to uncontrolled landfills and washes way into every water source possible.
How much of the plastic we use in the U.S. do you think actually gets recycled? The last I checked that number was at less than 20%. Where do you think the rest goes?

VTKillarney

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:21 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
I am constantly picking them up, the kids in my neighborhood throw them into the brush as they pass through my property. They should be banned, they are dumped everywhere.

Are you saying that they would only throw out plastic containers on your lawn but properly dispose of cardboard? Or are you advocating a ban on any water container whatsoever.

rwsea

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:42 pm

Bottled water didn't even really become a thing in the US until the mid to late 1990s when bottling companies made it trendy through a marketing campaign. Somehow we survived prior to then, and we will survive again without plastic water bottles.

In the scheme of things, yes, this won't make any sort of dent in the problem. However, the discussion alone is a step forward, and other cities and airports will surely follow suit. Consumer behavior won't be changed in a day but every little bit helps.

Thibault973

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:41 pm

airbazar wrote:

Thibault973 wrote:

Sorry but Europe is 10x worse. I just came from a 2 week vacation in Portugal and they don't even give you tap water in restaurants there. It's always bottled water served in plastic bottles. The Europeans' addiction to "plastic tap water" is sickening. I can't remember ever seeing a public drinkin water fountain in Europe. Not in an airport, not in a mall, not anywhere.

Calm down homeboy I was only refering to the fact that unlike in the US it is prohibited to sell bottled tap water where I live, France. ps: the US are the 2nd biggest consumers of bottled water, after China, with 10.13 billion gallons each year which is 30% more than 10 years ago.

Armadillo1

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:45 pm

is this ban for pure water only?

texdravid

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:50 pm

This from the city that can’t keep Poop off the streets and syringes in the trash and has homeless defecating in the streets and harassing people as they walk by.

Yeah, that city. What a joke.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

WarRI1

Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:04 am

VTKillarney wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

Are you saying that they would only throw out plastic containers on your lawn but properly dispose of cardboard? Or are you advocating a ban on any water container whatsoever.

Plastic bottles are too convenient to carry around, and have to be recycled to get rid of, paper cups, not so much. You can walk around for hours with a plastic bottle, you tend to drink your paper cup drink more quickly and dispose of them near the source, like in your kitchen, or in the trash container where you bought the drink. Even in the old days with glass bottles, there were problems, I still dig up glass that was broken 50 years ago, and it will still cut you. Education seems to be lacking on the after effects of this practice.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

bhill

Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:36 pm

We are told in my city NOT to put waxed/coated cardboard cartons in the recycling bin....
Carpe Pices

VTKillarney

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:45 pm

bhill wrote:
We are told in my city NOT to put waxed/coated cardboard cartons in the recycling bin....

So is San Francisco replacing recyclable plastic with unrecyclable paper?

Concierge

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:57 pm

bhill wrote:

The whole 'single stream' process confuses me. I'm told that less than 10% of recycle bins like mine are really recycled. And the idea that electronic waste is recycled is proven untrue. It's probably time for a new model. I'm carrying a reusable bottle and plan to do more