oschkosch

Re: Another mass shooting in El Paso

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:09 pm

I think it is time for even more liberal gun laws in the USA. Everyone should have 3-4 handguns and minimum 2 highly powered semi-automatic assault rifles.

Then the real natural selection process starts and the problem will be solved.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

ltbewr

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:30 pm

I work in a building that is part of the WTC site in NYC. We now have 'active shooter' education at least once a year because of the current threats that could happen within or adjacent to our building. I used to work with a woman who's father was killed in a mass gun murder event.

Some are quick to jump to blame current President Trump, but there were plenty of these gun terrorism acts under Obama, Both Bushes, Clinton, and Reagan (who was almost murdered by a gun), and Carter, although Trump's hateful spewing against immigrants (legal and illegal), Blacks, Hispanics/Latinos, Muslims, even women, may be encouraging it slightly more from 'right wing' males.

MikeDrop

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:47 pm

af773atmsp wrote:
You know what's worse than a weak country? A weak country that doesn't admit it's weak and does nothing to try to improve itself. That is how I see the USA.

So what country are you from? Do yo live in the USA or are you a foreigner?

Mike Drop

VTKillarney

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:12 pm

It’s absolutely relevant to the number of people who died.

sebolino

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:16 pm

LittleSprocket wrote:
I have one question for everyone here that is bent on restricting firearms ownership. The war on drugs has failed, drugs come over the border by the metric ton daily. We can’t seem to stop illegal aliens from coming across the border and everyone knows the bloodbath and how successful banning alcohol was in the 1920’s... what makes you think that banning firearms today is going to stop these horrific events?

Statistics of other countries ? UK, Italy, Germany, Finland, Norway, Denmark, Spain, France, Portugal, ...
The problem with firearms is that the goal is to kill, and everybody can buy one in the US. The problem is NOT that firearms are available by legal or illegal means, it's that there are so many of them.
If firearms were banned, you would have much less of them in the streets.

And of course, the usual ridiculous arguments: "bad guys will always have guns". So what, they have in all countries, and still you have more than 10 times more people killed in the US by firearms than in France (excluding suicides in both countries).

af773atmsp

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:16 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:
You know what's worse than a weak country? A weak country that doesn't admit it's weak and does nothing to try to improve itself. That is how I see the USA.

Mike Drop

I live in the USA. If anyone wants to label me un-American go right ahead, but at least I'm trying to actually make this country better while others would rather live with the status quo and pretend everything is fine.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

MikeDrop

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 pm

af773atmsp wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

Mike Drop

I live in the USA. If anyone wants to label me un-American go right ahead, but at least I'm trying to actually make this country better while others would rather live with the status quo and pretend everything is fine.

I don't plan on labeling you as anything one way or another. I simply wanted to understand your perspective. As to your assertion that "it's weak and does nothing to try to improve itself" - I disagree with you, there are plenty of positive examples readily available that show the opposite. Sure, we have many problems, and sure we struggle to solve many of them because of the many different stakeholders and interests who have a voice. But weak? no.

Mike Drop

VTKillarney

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:54 pm

A lot of the rush to judgment here is quite scary. Years of misguided alarmism over "Islamic terrorism" resulted in the erosion of civil liberties, militarization of police, and a host of other bad outcomes. Applying the same alarmist logic to "white nationalist terrorism" is likely to produce a host of similarly bad outcomes.

Sometimes we never learn.

Spar

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:06 pm

The issue cannot be "mental illness", as almost all (maybe all) of the shooters since the current upsurge in mass killings were just garden variety members of society before they went on their sprees: possibly a little quirky, but few of them had done anything that stood out enough to have allowed the restriction of their civil liberties. Accusing people of mental issues is a real civil liberties issue and were it to become any kind of norm it is a certainty that it would be abused. Restricting the "mentally ill" is a dead end street which would only serve to provide employment for the legal profession.

If anyone really wants to face a truth that could matter, that truth is that there is no point in the public having access to automatic loading guns of any kind: pistols or long guns. Revolvers and bolt action guns would fulfill any need for "sport" shooting, hunting or protection that people feel they have a dying need for.

And yes these 'semi-auto" guns should be confiscated from people who refuse to surrender them.

Anything other than the above is just a placebo and we might as well just go back to bickering about what signs were on the walls of the places where mass murders take place..

atcsundevil

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:21 pm

Please don't turn this thread into a string of personal attacks. If you can't discuss the topic respectfully, then please don't post.

✈️ atcsundevil

af773atmsp

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:38 am

MikeDrop wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:

Mike Drop

I don't plan on labeling you as anything one way or another. I simply wanted to understand your perspective. As to your assertion that "it's weak and does nothing to try to improve itself" - I disagree with you, there are plenty of positive examples readily available that show the opposite. Sure, we have many problems, and sure we struggle to solve many of them because of the many different stakeholders and interests who have a voice. But weak? no.

Mike Drop

Please give me examples of how we're improving in terms of gun violence. So far it seems we've done the complete opposite of progress.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

VTKillarney

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:51 am

af773atmsp wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

Mike Drop

Please give me examples of how we're improving in terms of gun violence. So far it seems we've done the complete opposite of progress.

The numbers don’t lie.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_vio ... weapon.svg

MaverickM11

Re: Sweet! Another mass shooting in El Paso

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:15 am

[twoid][/twoid]
stl07 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
bgm wrote:

What's your solution?

Mental health treatment.

Would be nice, except congress removed Obama era mental health gun control regulations.

Republicans whining about mental health is like the Menendez brothers whining about being orphans. It’s insane. And it looooooooong predated Trump.
E pur si muove -Galileo

BN747

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:14 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
stl07 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
Mental health treatment.

Would be nice, except congress removed Obama era mental health gun control regulations.

Republicans whining about mental health is like the Menendez brothers whining about being orphans. It’s insane. And it looooooooong predated Trump.

True...but now the entire Gun-Yahoo crowd have the national leader they've longed for, they see flipping off the law as 'hey the prez does it, so it must be okay'.

He is their choice unquestionably, not Hillary, Obama etc...

The insanity will not get better, but worse - guaranteed with spineless leaders like we have now.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Barny123

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:11 am

Kiwirob wrote:
LittleSprocket wrote:
stl07 wrote:

What regulations were that? The only ones I recall was that those that received social security were no longer banned from owning outright. I bought multiple firearms during his tenure and I never had to deal with any mental health requirements, even with having PTSD from fighting in Afghanistan.

If you have ptsd you sure as hell shouldn’t be allowed to own a firearm of any sort.

I find it quite horrifying that someone with ptsd can own a gun.

Kiwirob and I are miles apart on social issues but on this I 100% agree with his post!

VTKillarney

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:15 pm

From the Washington Post: “President Trump called Monday for “strong background checks” in the wake of the mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton, Ohio... [Trump said,] We must have something good, if not GREAT, come out of these two tragic events!”

He will addressing the people today.

This is excellent leadership. It’s no surprise given how much Trump cares about America and it’s people.

Of course he is have to get something past the Democrats. That may not be easy. For example, in 2016, Republicans in the Senate voted unanimously for a bill that would ban people from buying guns who were on the FBI’s terrorist watch list. The NRA even supported it. Every single Democrat voted against it.

NWAESC

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:43 pm

bgm wrote:
I believe that gun licenses should be issued complete with criminal background check, mental health exam, and semi-automatic assault rifles should be banned for civilian use. If you don't pass the check, you don't get to own a gun.

If you are mentally stable and a law abiding citizen, then it shouldn't be a problem, right?

Yes to all of that. I’d also add some sort of proficiency check as part of getting a weapon.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

casinterest

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:44 pm

So just a few things to point out about why nothing is going to change.

1.https://time.com/5626478/trump-racist-t ... migration/
2. Trump's quote from today where he blames the media, yet says nothing about his own vile tweets .

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 5608610816

How can we as a country move out of this hate filled cycle, when Trump is part of the hate?
Where ever you go, there you are.

VTKillarney

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:01 pm

Kamala Harris responded to the mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton by sending out an email which cited the tragedies as a reason to donate money to her presidential campaign. Nothing like using a tragedy for personal gain.

ElPistolero

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:17 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
Kamala Harris responded to the mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton by sending out an email which cited the tragedies as a reason to donate money to her presidential campaign. Nothing like using a tragedy for personal gain.

Is this really noteworthy? I recall a certain presidential candidate routinely parading the families of very specific murder victims for personal/electoral gains?

Seems to me this is part and parcel of political campaigning. Always was. Always will be.

VTKillarney

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:23 pm

ElPistolero wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

Is this really noteworthy? I recall a certain presidential candidate routinely parading the families of very specific murder victims for personal/electoral gains?

Seems to me this is part and parcel of political campaigning. Always was. Always will be.

No, it hasn’t always been the case. A direct appeal for money certainly hasn’t been. Kamala has taken this to a whole new level.

VTKillarney

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:44 pm

Let’s address the lie that the Trump administration "rolled back" Obama administration rules that kept guns out of the hands of the "mentally ill." The regulation had nothing to do with "mental illness" and everything to do with the lack of due process. The Obama era rules designated anyone who needed a representative payee through the Social Security Administration and Veterans Affairs “mentally unfit.” If a person met that criteria, their name was entered into the NICS database. These are people who require some assistance handling their finances and slogging through the federal bureaucracy. The Obama administration turned them into criminals. You know who opposed it? The ACLU, which lobbied for repeal.

Trump had the novel idea of due process and requiring that someone declared to be mentally unfit actually be mentally unfit.

ElPistolero

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:45 pm

VTKillarney wrote:

No, it hasn’t always been the case. A direct appeal for money certainly hasn’t been. Kamala has taken this to a whole new level.

Oh. You're objecting to the fact that she is using them to make a "direct appeal" for money for her campaign, as opposed to a presidential candidate who parades the families of very specific murder victims at campaigns in a bid to "indirectly" secure funding/support for his campaign.

Would you feel better about this if she paraded the family victims of El Paso at her campaigns and secured funding that way, instead of appealing for it directly?

Sounds like splitting hairs. If one is morally dubious, so is the other. Why does the "level" - "whole new" or otherwise, matter.

Seems hypocritical.

MaverickM11

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:09 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
Of course he is have to get something past the Democrats. That may not be easy. For example, in 2016, Republicans in the Senate voted unanimously for a bill that would ban people from buying guns who were on the FBI’s terrorist watch list. The NRA even supported it. Every single Democrat voted against it.

False.

VTKillarney wrote:

Show us the text of the email.

casinterest wrote:
So just a few things to point out about why nothing is going to change.

1.https://time.com/5626478/trump-racist-t ... migration/
2. Trump's quote from today where he blames the media, yet says nothing about his own vile tweets .

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 5608610816

How can we as a country move out of this hate filled cycle, when Trump is part of the hate?

Thoughts and prayers for "Toledo"

ElPistolero wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

Oh. You're objecting to the fact that she is using them to make a "direct appeal" for money for her campaign, as opposed to a presidential candidate who parades the families of very specific murder victims at campaigns in a bid to "indirectly" secure funding/support for his campaign.

Would you feel better about this if she paraded the family victims of El Paso at her campaigns and secured funding that way, instead of appealing for it directly?

Sounds like splitting hairs. If one is morally dubious, so is the other. Why does the "level" - "whole new" or otherwise, matter.

Seems hypocritical.

Parading 'angel moms' for your racist supporters to cheer and throw money at you as a-o-k
E pur si muove -Galileo

bgm

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:17 pm

af773atmsp wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

Mike Drop

What’s the opposite of progress? Congress.
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

MaverickM11

Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:53 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

You still lookin' for that Kamala email?
E pur si muove -Galileo

VTKillarney

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:03 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

It’s worse than just Kamala.

https://mb.ntd.com/democrats-fundraisin ... 66164.html

The New Democratic slogan: “Dead bodies for thee. Money for me!”

Absolutely disgusting.

MaverickM11

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:18 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

It’s worse than just Kamala.

https://mb.ntd.com/democrats-fundraisin ... 66164.html

“If you’re with me, split a contribution to Giffords, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, and Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America.”

Wow. Split a donation between three gun violence prevention groups, in the wake of two more episodes of gun violence. I can see how preventing gun violence would be triggering for you. How outrageous. :roll: Would be much better if they tried to profit off Benghazi, like Republicans, right? Because Benghazi happens all the time too :roll: But thanks for the phony outrage and the random Falun Gong website.
Last edited by MaverickM11 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Pi7472000

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:37 pm

Disgusting!! We need to ban most guns in the U.S. This is not 1776 and we do not need to allow unlimited, uncontrolled access to guns in this country. We need to stand against racism, fear, and weapons of death. It is gross that many on the right stand for fetuses and weapons instead of actual living, human beings.

ltbewr

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:16 am

Trump pans to visit the site of the El Paso terror attacks on Wednesday. Many locals want him like the plague. He also owes the city $100's of $1000 for his anti-immigrant rally earlier this year for police and other security and safety needs and likely this visit will cost $100's of $1000's more to the city that has huge costs from this terror act.
Instead of covering the distraction that Trump's visit will be, perhaps more media attention on the good of people in this tragedy. A local charity group is arranging and paying for funerals and burial sites for US citizen victims, embalming and transportation costs to Mexican nationals. 100's gave blood. Some gave their lives, got injured or were close enough to be risk of being shot trying to save their fellow humans during the attacks.

Concierge

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:04 am

VTKillarney wrote:
From the Washington Post: “President Trump called Monday for “strong background checks” in the wake of the mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton, Ohio... [Trump said,] We must have something good, if not GREAT, come out of these two tragic events!”

This is excellent leadership. It’s no surprise given how much Trump cares about America and it’s people.

You insist on posting the same stuff about Democrats in this and the Dayton thread. The House passed two bills - Mitch won't take them up. Are they what is needed? I don't know, but it is time to start a conversation in Congress. Virtually everyone agrees that background checks are necessary. Let's start there.

Concierge

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:40 am

VTKillarney wrote:

This isn't as simple as you would have it be. The Senate Democrats proposed a blanket ban on gun sales to those on the watch list, the Republicans voted it down with the support of the NRA. The Republicans put forth a proposal with weaker restraints which all Democrats voted against.

Aaron747

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:03 am

Kellyanne Conjob’s interview with Christiane Amanpour, unsurprisingly, was an example of everything wrong with the WH - no straight answers to questions, no taking of responsibility, and wild claims of things done that are demonstrably not done. Also a bizarre choice of wording - ‘his FBI’, as if the DOJ no longer works for the people. And people wonder why everyone’s cynical...
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Max Q

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:01 am

No guns, no shootings.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

casinterest

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:14 pm

It appears the mother was a bit concerned, but maybe not concerned enough.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/07/us/el-pa ... index.html

The El Paso shooting suspect's mother called the Allen, Texas, Police Department weeks before the shooting because she was concerned about her son owning an "AK" type firearm, lawyers for the family confirmed to CNN.

The mother contacted police because she was worried about her son owning the weapon given his age, maturity level and lack of experience handling such a firearm, attorneys Chris Ayres and R. Jack Ayres said.
During the call, the mother was transferred to a public safety officer who told her that -- based on her description of the situation -- her son, 21, was legally allowed to purchase the weapon, the attorneys said. The mother did not provide her name or her son's name, and police did not seek any additional information from her before the call concluded, they added

JJJ

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:27 pm

casinterest wrote:
It appears the mother was a bit concerned, but maybe not concerned enough.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/07/us/el-pa ... index.html

The El Paso shooting suspect's mother called the Allen, Texas, Police Department weeks before the shooting because she was concerned about her son owning an "AK" type firearm, lawyers for the family confirmed to CNN.

The mother contacted police because she was worried about her son owning the weapon given his age, maturity level and lack of experience handling such a firearm, attorneys Chris Ayres and R. Jack Ayres said.
During the call, the mother was transferred to a public safety officer who told her that -- based on her description of the situation -- her son, 21, was legally allowed to purchase the weapon, the attorneys said. The mother did not provide her name or her son's name, and police did not seek any additional information from her before the call concluded, they added

And a concerned grandmother possibly saved Texas from another massacre.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... 924646001/

Officers searched the room Williams rented at the hotel he planned to target and found the rifle, 17 loaded magazines and multiple knives. Williams told authorities he laid out his weapons so that they could take them.

He of course had purchased it recently and legally (other than writing a wrong address).

casinterest

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:43 pm

Just a reminder of the tragedy of this shooting.

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/08/74909924 ... e-together

invertalon

Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:01 pm

Never understood the fascination with guns in America. I am born and raised here and would be 100% for banning all guns... Or at least making them extremely difficult to obtain with heavy restrictions (no automatics, for example).

It needs to be done. But won't. Because people love their guns for whatever reason and will come up with 1001 ways to justify why they need/want them.

JJJ

Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:40 pm

invertalon wrote:
It needs to be done. But won't. Because people love their guns for whatever reason and will come up with 1001 ways to justify why they need/want them.

There's nothing wrong with wanting guns because you like to shoot at pieces of paper, game or vermin. Or even just because you like having them, shooting them and collecting them (I have 3 myself, plus my wife's that makes 4 guns at home, which is certainly unusual this side of the pond).

The challenge is keeping them off the hands of the wrong people and most countries have figured out that you need a heavy handed approach to that. Weeding the bad people means good people need to go through several levels of hurdles and challenges.

There is no other way besides accepting that mass shootings do and will keep happening.

LittleSprocket

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:01 am

"Our constitution does not allow the death penalty. We do not want the death penalty, as a matter of conviction. Life imprisonment does not exist (in Mexico), either," he told a press conference.

"I have given instructions to explore the possibility of requesting this person's extradition," he added.

"We do not want impunity. We want the punishment to serve as an example.... Given that this was a premeditated crime, and all the aggravating factors, he would face a long time in prison in Mexico... more than 50 years."

Can somebody please explain to the President of Mexico that since this horrendous crime occurred on American soil the laws and Constitution of the United States are what dictate his punishment, not Mexico’s. Mexico has zero standing to extradite.
https://news.yahoo.com/mexico-does-not- ... 27636.html

bennett123

Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:37 am

Which he will doubtless find.

Incidentally, why would they want him?.