seb146

Re: Mass Shooting in Dayton, 10 Dead

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:05 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
scbriml wrote:
NoTime wrote:
My guess is that, for the families, it's not tragically hilarious - it's just tragic.

Sure, for them.

For everyone else it goes something like this:
1 - mass shooting happens
2 - people in shock and grief struggling to understand what's happened
3 - offer thoughts and prayers
4 - do nothing else
5 - goto 1.

:banghead:

How can an advanced, first-world society allow this situation to continue to exist? It's tragically hilarious.

Dur to the number of deaths related to drunk driving, I would suggest the draconian measure of banning all alcohol use outside the home for starters. But that's not going to happen is it. So the great measures to cut down on gun violence will never happen either. And accessibility to alcohol is not even a constitutional right.

Twenty First Amendment?

There are problems with drunk driving but they have been lowered with DUI check points and servers being more vigilant and fines and punishment for impaired drivers and those who serve them. Not to mention the age at which adults can purchase alcohol was raised to 21. We The People saw a trending problem, petitioned Congress, and something was done. It is not perfect and there is room to improve.

Compare and contrast that with gun violence. Republicans solution is blame video games and decide nothing can be done so why bother?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

NoTime

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:05 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
scbriml wrote:
NoTime wrote:
My guess is that, for the families, it's not tragically hilarious - it's just tragic.

Sure, for them.

For everyone else it goes something like this:
1 - mass shooting happens
2 - people in shock and grief struggling to understand what's happened
3 - offer thoughts and prayers
4 - do nothing else
5 - goto 1.

:banghead:

How can an advanced, first-world society allow this situation to continue to exist? It's tragically hilarious.

Due to the number of deaths related to drunk driving, I would suggest the draconian measure of banning all alcohol use outside the home for starters. But that's not going to happen is it. So the great measures to cut down on gun violence will never happen either. And accessibility to alcohol is not even a constitutional right.

Agreed. The answer isn't as easy as simply saying "ban all guns" or even "ban all semi-auto guns" - primarily because of the 2nd amendment. But, in addition, you would be punishing 99.99% of innocent gun owners in the process. Is that really any different than saying "we're not allowing ANY muslims into our country, because one of them might be a terrorist" ...?

Most importantly, you'd be treating the symptom and not the actual problem. Gun types and availability haven't changed appreciably in the last few decades. A logical person would look at the increase of mass shootings, without a change in type/availability of guns, and realize that something else has changed. (Here's the answer - culture.) But, I'm not wading into this mess. I'm just hoping people start to realize that the solution isn't as easy as "ban all guns" or "arm everyone in our society with guns."

JJJ

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:41 pm

NoTime wrote:
But, in addition, you would be punishing 99.99% of innocent gun owners in the process.

Just like 99,99% of good drivers are punished by speed limits.

Society moves at the pace of the most stupid. We can't have nice things and all that.

AirplaneFixer

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:04 pm

Concierge wrote:
VTKillarneyakaMagog wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
The only thing Republicans care less about than mass shootings is everyday shooting and suicides, and *especially* inner city crime. They don't even bother trotting out prayers for that.

Saying it doesn’t make it true.
https://www.upi.com/News_Photos/view/up ... -suicides/
https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/2019/07/27/p ... -suicides/
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.washingt ... baltimore/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.12news ... b18f596270

OK folks, this poster is absolutely convinced of his position and is unprepared to concede anything. This isn't an argument. We all have better things to do.

If more people would just ignore the obvious trolls I think a viable discussion could happen. Simple solution, put the poster on ignore, however when he decides to mothball that screen name and resurrect another you'll have to place that one on ignore as well. It truly is a shame that there is a discussion nearly weekly about a mass shooting in the USA.

windy95

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:45 pm

Spar wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
300 to the Flu
250 to Suicide
200 to Car Accidents
40 to Homicide via Handgun

Just a quick look at your "statistics" shows that you've about doubled the numbers of death from the other sources, but have shown less than half the number of gun deaths (partly by limiting it to handguns I suppose) there were 33,636 gun deaths in 2013, that almost 100 a day.

Then there is the absurdity of your suggestion that gun deaths are trivial.

33,00 gun deaths but a vast majority are suicide or suicide by cop. It has been shown that on the average year that 60% are suicide and 3% are by accidents And death by rifles are a small number per year usually around 1 per day on most numbers I have found over the years. Out of the 13,000 homicides on average around 80% are committed by gang violence and a vast majority of these are in a handful of Democratic run cities.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/09/upsh ... cides.html
MAGA2020 KAG2020

windy95

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:54 pm

From their manifestos and web pages it appears now that both shooters are leftists
MAGA2020 KAG2020

seb146

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:56 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
From CNN today: “A Twitter account that appears to belong to the Dayton gunman re-tweeted extreme left-wing posts as well as tweets supporting violent protest group Antifa.”

I’ve been told that CNN is definitely not fake news, so this appears to be quite credible.

Seriously? You are one of the first and loudest to demand that CNN is not news.

seb146

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:00 pm

windy95 wrote:
From their manifestos and web pages it appears now that both shooters are leftists

"Leftists" who support MAGA and Nazis and white supremacists. Anything you say, man.

Still offers zero solution for this happening again. So, the next right wing domestic terrorist who opens fire, all we will hear is blame on stupid things like drag queens, weed, abortion, video games, and lack of religion.

Mike Huckabee had the cajones to say that "thoughts and prayers" are the only thing that will stop these right wing domestic terrorist events.

https://thehill.com/homenews/456287-mik ... -shootings
https://www.salon.com/2019/08/06/mike-h ... shootings/

alfa164

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:05 pm

seb146 wrote:
Mike Huckabee had the cajones to say that "thoughts and prayers" are the only thing that will stop these right wing domestic terrorist events.

Mike Huckabee made his money off "thoughts and prayers". Maybe he sees a way to pad his pockets again...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

windy95

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:07 pm

seb146 wrote:
windy95 wrote:

"Leftists" who support MAGA and Nazis and white supremacists. Anything you say, man.

Still offers zero solution for this happening again. So, the next right wing domestic terrorist who opens fire, all we will hear is blame on stupid things like drag queens, weed, abortion, video games, and lack of religion.

https://thehill.com/homenews/456287-mik ... -shootings
https://www.salon.com/2019/08/06/mike-h ... shootings/

The Dayton shooter was an AOC, Antifa and Elizabeth Warren fan. Believed in Climate change....
MAGA2020 KAG2020

casinterest

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:17 pm

They Dayton shooter is going to need a lot of analysis by the FBI teams, as this appears to be a very messed up individual that was highly conscious of his actions.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/da ... w-n1039391

"Johnson said that Betts performed with an extreme heavy metal band known for sexually violent lyrics.

On their first date, she said, he showed her body camera video from a mass shooting at a synagogue. Another time, he asked her to accompany him as he tried to drop off an anonymous letter to an ex-girlfriend. The letter's message — "You can't escape your past" — unnerved her, she said."

"In interviews with The Associated Press, two former high school classmates claimed Betts was once suspended for compiling a "hit list" of those he wanted to kill and a "rape list" of girls he wanted to sexually assault.

NBC News has not independently verified their accounts, which came to light after police said there was nothing in the gunman's background that would have kept him from buying the .223-caliber rifle used in the shooting.

The former classmates, who spoke to the AP on the condition of anonymity out of concern they might face harassment, claimed Betts was suspended during his junior year at Bellbrook High School after the "hit list" was found scrawled in a campus bathroom."
Where ever you go, there you are.

MaverickM11

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:44 pm

windy95 wrote:

It was basically a Tucker Carlson/Trump white trash Nuremberg rally transcript word for word. Are those two leftists now?
E pur si muove -Galileo

VTKillarney

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:20 pm

If it’s true that this leftist terrorist was an acolyte of AOC, Warren and Antifa,
1) Warren and AOC should step down.
2) Antifa should be declared a domestic terrorist organization.

Only then can we truly start healing.

MaverickM11

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:24 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
If it’s true that this leftist terrorist was an acolyte of AOC, Warren and Antifa,

Must be rough being triggered by women so often. Hope you don't have any guns!
E pur si muove -Galileo

scbriml

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:41 pm

windy95 wrote:
Believed in Climate change....

What? Hang the bastard.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

AirplaneFixer

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:45 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

Must be rough being triggered by women so often. Hope you don't have any guns!

Definitely an incel

Pellegrine

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:48 pm

VTKillarney wrote:

What kind of nonsense is this.
oh boy, here we go!!!

MaverickM11

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:12 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

The actual, legitimate mental health issue
E pur si muove -Galileo

casinterest

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:57 pm

Interesting characteristics to watch for in the coming week as we process these massacres in the US.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/03/ ... 28105.html

Most of these are not a surprise to us in the US that are familiar with the cycle , but it may be worth sending it on to your friends, as these strange stories of 30 -50 feral hogs come out.

seb146

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:16 am

windy95 wrote:
Spar wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
300 to the Flu
250 to Suicide
200 to Car Accidents
40 to Homicide via Handgun

Just a quick look at your "statistics" shows that you've about doubled the numbers of death from the other sources, but have shown less than half the number of gun deaths (partly by limiting it to handguns I suppose) there were 33,636 gun deaths in 2013, that almost 100 a day.

Then there is the absurdity of your suggestion that gun deaths are trivial.

33,00 gun deaths but a vast majority are suicide or suicide by cop. It has been shown that on the average year that 60% are suicide and 3% are by accidents And death by rifles are a small number per year usually around 1 per day on most numbers I have found over the years. Out of the 13,000 homicides on average around 80% are committed by gang violence and a vast majority of these are in a handful of Democratic run cities.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/09/upsh ... cides.html

So we need AFFORDABLE health care that includes mental health. What about mass shootings and these marginalized right wing domestic terrorists who have easy access to military grade weapons?

seb146

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:18 am

VTKillarney wrote:

And WHEN we find out this was yet another right wing domestic terrorist like the ones in El Paso and Gilroy and Orlando and Charleston? Will you demand the occupant of the White House step down and Fox be declared a domestic terrorist enabler?

It is interesting you want freedom of speech just not from Democrats, progressives, liberals or anyone to the left of Mike Pence......

casinterest

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:08 am

Betts went into the bar with his sister and an acquaintance Saturday night prior to the massacre.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/06/us/surve ... index.html

There seems to be a motive beyond just blind terrorism here.

"A law enforcement source familiar with the investigation told CNN that Connor Betts parked his car nearby around 11 p.m. and confirmed that Betts went to Blind Bob's with his sister and Beard before the shooting.
About an hour after he entered, at 12:13 a.m., Betts is seen stopping by the entrance, speaking with staff at the door, then exiting.
Beard and Megan Betts remain in the bar for approximately 45 minutes before they are seen leaving at around 12:59 a.m., a timeline that has not been reported before.
"

WarRI1

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:21 am

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/0 ... /23789240/

Another angle to the story, I did not see this link, if I missed it, I apologize.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

alfa164

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:22 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

It is clear so far that the Dayton (or was it Toledo?) shooter was not on some politically-drive rampage; the fact that he killed his sister - and tried to kill her boyfriend - seems to make this more of a personal vendetta than a rampage motivated by zealotry. This should not detract from the fact that so many other mass shootings have been politically motivated, a vast majority of them by white supremacists and their ilk.

And I agree the mental health issue is real; even here on A.net, where one prolific poster has displayed multiple personalities - and personae - over the past few months. Some real intervention there might be appropriate to stem any potential for drastic and dangerous actions...

:roll:
Last edited by alfa164 on Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Pellegrine

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:24 am

alfa164 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

It is clear so far that the Dayton (or was it Toledo?) shooter was not on some politically-drive rampage; the fact that he killed his sister - and tried to kill her boyfriend - seems to make this more of a personal vendetta than a rampage motivated by zealotry. This should not detract from the fact that so many other mass shootings have been politically motivated, a vast majority of them by white supremacists and their ilk.

And I agree the mental health issue is real; even here on A.net, where one prolific poster has displayed multiple personalities - and personae - over the past few months. Some real intervention there might be appropriate to stem any drastic and dangerous actions...

:roll:

Who are you talking about?
oh boy, here we go!!!

MaverickM11

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:31 am

WarRI1 wrote:
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/08/06/ohio-rep-candice-keller-mass-shootings-drag-queens-and-marijuana-refuses-resignation/23789240/

Another angle to the story, I did not see this link, if I missed it, I apologize.

The sad thing is she is in no way an outlier for the republican party. I've lost count how many hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, earthquakes, and god knows what else they've blamed on teh gheyz.
E pur si muove -Galileo

WarRI1

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:45 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/08/06/ohio-rep-candice-keller-mass-shootings-drag-queens-and-marijuana-refuses-resignation/23789240/

The sad thing is she is in no way an outlier for the republican party. I've lost count how many hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, earthquakes, and god knows what else they've blamed on teh gheyz.

With that kind of response to a tragedy, she deserves scorn. Talk about a lead head.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Kiwirob

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:48 pm

seb146 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
seb146 wrote:

He is either incel (right winger) or was angry his sister was dating a minority (right winger). Either way, he easily had access to guns because he belonged to some well regulated militia and this was the well regulated militia protecting the interests of the United States, right?

I haven’t read any articles where it says she was dating a minority.

So, the only logical conclusion is he was part of a well regulated militia engaging in his sworn duty to protect the United States. Why else would he have so much firepower?

Yeah but I don’t think this was a white guy out to shoot blacks, from what I have read he shot his sister then anyone else he could.

seb146

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:26 pm

It is looking more and more like the Dayton shooter was about mental illness and ease of access to weapons.

trpmb6

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:30 pm

I definitely suspected this was a domestic dispute that turned into blind rage when I saw the killer's sister was among the victims.

But where are these right wing comments coming from? It's pretty clear what his politics were (relevant or not) and what other motivating factors the guy had in his life were. Jouhou posted a couple good articles detailing some downright creepy things about the guy on the previous page.

seb146

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:39 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
I definitely suspected this was a domestic dispute that turned into blind rage when I saw the killer's sister was among the victims.

But where are these right wing comments coming from? It's pretty clear what his politics were (relevant or not) and what other motivating factors the guy had in his life were. Jouhou posted a couple good articles detailing some downright creepy things about the guy on the previous page.

Possibly (this is only my opinion) that the right wants so badly for "liberals" and Democrats to be as or more violent? The right is clinging to this notion of anti-fascists having the kill rate of white supremacists and wanting anti-fascists to be classified as a terrorist organization. They want the country to excuse right wing domestic terrorism because of the anti fascists scraped a few white supremacists.

Again, my two cents from the conversations I have had with righties both here and IRL.

casinterest

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:42 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

I don't doubt it, but the issue then becomes the ease of access to the guns and rounds. After Oklahoma City, you can't buy Fertilizer in the quantity that McVeigh and Nichols did. Why do we insist on letting people buy the guns capable of rapid semiautomatic fire and even worse upgrades to automatic action ?

trpmb6

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:44 pm

I don't want any domestic terrorism but your original comment made it sound like you hadn't read anything about this guy up to this point. He was out there.. honestly should have been on someone's radar. An ex-girlfriend of his talked about how he talked about a shooting on their first date and others noted his obsession with rape. Dude was a walking billboard for see somethjng say something and nobody said anything.

@cas upgrades to automatic? We banned bump stocks. What others are there?

casinterest

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:59 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
I don't want any domestic terrorism but your original comment made it sound like you hadn't read anything about this guy up to this point. He was out there.. honestly should have been on someone's radar. An ex-girlfriend of his talked about how he talked about a shooting on their first date and others noted his obsession with rape. Dude was a walking billboard for see somethjng say something and nobody said anything.

@cas upgrades to automatic? We banned bump stocks. What others are there?

Banning large ammo clips. so that these idiots can't walk in with 200 rounds and just keep going without getting tackled.

trpmb6

Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:05 pm

Well that doesn't upgrade it to automatic. If it seems like I'm being pedantic I'm not. Use the correct terminology if you want to discuss the matter. Large capacity magazines is completely different than automatic firing.

casinterest

Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:12 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Well that doesn't upgrade it to automatic. If it seems like I'm being pedantic I'm not. Use the correct terminology if you want to discuss the matter. Large capacity magazines is completely different than automatic firing.

Not in a semiautomatic where the speed of hitting the trigger is the measuring tool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyuTXRzvsIA

casinterest

Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:19 pm

casinterest wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Not in a semiautomatic where the speed of hitting the trigger is the measuring tool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyuTXRzvsIA

And if anyone wonders why the AR-15 is so easy to upgrade. It is a slick design. Deadly but efficient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... AqE-KLbiYc

extender

Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:21 pm

AirplaneFixer wrote:
If more people would just ignore the obvious trolls I think a viable discussion could happen. Simple solution, put the poster on ignore, however when he decides to mothball that screen name and resurrect another you'll have to place that one on ignore as well. It truly is a shame that there is a discussion nearly weekly about a mass shooting in the USA.

Pretty much bury your head in the sand? Don't participate much? Get into the group frenzy, kind of like the treatment conservatives get at leftist universities.

Wow.

extender

Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:23 pm

casinterest wrote:
And if anyone wonders why the AR-15 is so easy to upgrade. It is a slick design. Deadly but efficient.

Nope, not that easy

casinterest

Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:25 pm

extender wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Nope, not that easy

It isn't "that" easy, but you can still get off 2 shots a second with some practice. With a lot, you can probably get 4-5 shots a seconds. Either way, with big mags, and bump stocks we wind up with what we had in Las Vegas .

extender

Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:48 pm

casinterest wrote:
Either way, with big mags, and bump stocks we wind up with what we had in Las Vegas .

Bump stocks are now contraband. And anything that affects the operability to permit multiple discharges from one trigger pull is illegal.

casinterest

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:42 pm

extender wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Either way, with big mags, and bump stocks we wind up with what we had in Las Vegas .

Bump stocks are now contraband. And anything that affects the operability to permit multiple discharges from one trigger pull is illegal.

But large multi round clips are not illegal.

OA940

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:52 pm

Hmm. Let's see:

1) America is the only country in the world where shootings occur with any sort of frequency (and that frequency is daily but that's another story)
2) America is the only country in the world where guns are so accessible
3) America is not the only country in the world where people play video games or have mental illnesses

Now, I'm no scientist, but I have a feeling maybe the problem isn't video games. Just a hunch
A350/CSeries = bae

NoTime

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:28 am

JJJ wrote:
NoTime wrote:
But, in addition, you would be punishing 99.99% of innocent gun owners in the process.

Society moves at the pace of the most stupid. We can't have nice things and all that.

Perhaps... but there isn't an amendment that states the right of the people to drive their cars shall not be infringed.

JJJ

Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:04 am

NoTime wrote:
JJJ wrote:
NoTime wrote:

Perhaps... but there isn't an amendment that states the right of the people to drive their cars shall not be infringed.

The right for people to bear arms isn't infringed if you make all magazines (internal or external) holding more than, say, 3 rounds illegal.

scbriml

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:06 pm

JJJ wrote:
The right for people to bear arms isn't infringed if you make all magazines (internal or external) holding more than, say, 3 rounds illegal.

The Supreme Court already ruled that the right is not unlimited and people are already subject to infringements to the right.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Kiwirob

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:29 pm

seb146 wrote:
It is looking more and more like the Dayton shooter was about mental illness and ease of access to weapons.

Nice to see you now agree it was nothing to do with racial prejudice.

extender

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:30 pm

Not so fast, he as Antifa, and a Warren supporter.

casinterest

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:37 pm

extender wrote:
Not so fast, he as Antifa, and a Warren supporter.

There are some articles out there that indicate that this was far from a political issue on the shooter's part. It won't fit well with the right wing narrative, and they will be pushing their programming back to the 2020 dem elections.

extender

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:51 pm

What I have read, he was fruitier than a Christmas nut cake. He was a prolific poster. He supported Elizabeth Warren. He had target lists for all sorts of mayhem. It won't kill you to agree with a post; not everything has to be a putdown and revisionist to cast a liberal light