einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Introverts unite!

Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:53 pm

I've known I'm an introvert for the longest time. The Myers-Briggs test came 100% on the 'I' indication, but today it was on full display.

I went to a company LGBT brunch with a nice view of the Seattle skyline, but it was very uncomfortable. Everyone knew each other because they all work in the same sites or have known each other for a while. I quietly sneaked out from the event which had barely started. I decided it was better to dedicate my Sunday to chores than be in a corner with no one to talk to.

Who else is like this? Who else has a hard time socializing without prior online interaction?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

777222LR

Re: Introverts unite!

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:16 pm

Me, 100 percent. My job requires me to be social in client relations. What I've found is that I'm extroverted when I'm telling or teaching someone about something work-related. What I can't do well is small talk. It makes me totally bug out. I don't drink, so alcohol is of no use to me, though when I did drink, it definitely helped.

I'm an INFJ. I absolutely love my alone time. Online interaction actually tends to make things worse for me. I wonder how they perceive me through social media vs. reality.

BN747

Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:08 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I've known I'm an introvert for the longest time. The Myers-Briggs test came 100% on the 'I' indication, but today it was on full display.

I went to a company LGBT brunch with a nice view of the Seattle skyline, but it was very uncomfortable. Everyone knew each other because they all work in the same sites or have known each other for a while. I quietly sneaked out from the event which had barely started. I decided it was better to dedicate my Sunday to chores than be in a corner with no one to talk to.

Who else is like this? Who else has a hard time socializing without prior online interaction?

777222LR wrote:
Me, 100 percent. My job requires me to be social in client relations. What I've found is that I'm extroverted when I'm telling or teaching someone about something work-related. What I can't do well is small talk. It makes me totally bug out. I don't drink, so alcohol is of no use to me, though when I did drink, it definitely helped.

I'm an INFJ. I absolutely love my alone time. Online interaction actually tends to make things worse for me. I wonder how they perceive me through social media vs. reality.

Fellas, this can be overcome.

I was an introvert at in middle school and broke away in high school

If you guys are introverts now, you were in those formative years.
But the decision to remain that way is solely up to YOU.

If you're comfortable with living with the 'shy away' syndrome....that's your choice.

But if you wish to convert it or become less so...it is a step by step process.

First you must take a look at yourself in a mirror and imagine what other people when 'looking at you and you are speaking.

If you don't like what you see....it's okay. Here's why.

Look at Chris Christie.
The epitome of an very unhealthy image.

But look at his command of confidence. Although he is a proven 'Bridgegate' Liar...Media likes having him on the air.

His vocally expressed confidence makes nearly anyone forget unattractive and an repulsive he is inside 3 mins of hearing him.
He knows that all to well.
Was he always like that?
Only people who grew up with him can answer that.

But being a Jersey kid..there is a chance he was scrappy take no-shit street kid like a fat kid I knew growing up named Lenny.
Lenny was that as a kid, but he lost it as he grew older..I saw it in him when I last saw him 15 years ago.
He had matured, still enormously huge but he knew as cruel as kids are adults can be much harsher.
I'm sure he too measure and concluded a lot a women would not want him.
If he's gay, he's in luck perhaps. Chubby chasers are a thing in the gay world...there's more desire for them than their hetero counterparts. But I don't know his deal and it doesn't matter.
I just know, he's nowhere as happy as he was in his younger years and whole lot less confident.

Which brings me back to Christie.
I think Christie was an athlete in school, if he was (not worth googling-wow it's a word now) then he had that built extrovert factor by default.
If he wasn't, like many people...I bet Woody Allen, Roger Stone, Howard Stern and Paul Manafort were total introverts in younger years.

But what boosted them - power!

As they gained influence, they saw how people cowered in their presence.
And once an introvert gains that edge...he'll never let go of the power trip although he is now a full blown extrovert - with conditions.

Sure take away their money & power, see how boisterous they really are.

A few years ago in Manhattan late one nite returning from a party... and as I turned the corner to enter the Ritz Carlton, I saw Bob Costas talking with a friend. Now I do dress down, not up..I prefer it.

Costas' eyes (already large) grew larger than normal, way more as I neared. I thought he was gonna shit himself.

I thought to myself, where is all that on-air confidence every has witnessed at one time or another. Same with a run in with actor Timothy Oliphant.

But how people see you will determine or predict their actions....and vice versa.

But you guys cannot take 'dismissive attitudes' personally..you've been doing it too long.

Step Two.
Regardless of how attractive or unattractive you 'think' you are....put that on hold and because to concentrate on how you come across in public settings.
Examine your humor levels, make slight adjustments if you are able. Never laugh at your own jokes, hold stern and let others giggle or laugh - that will instill a huge spurt of confidence.
Don't just listen but don't come gushing with tons knowledge - example.

A blabber mouth goes 'Yeah so 20 years ago I flew the Concorde to London'
Listener: How was it? Which airline?
Blabber Mouth: It was American or Continental I think.

Now, you know he just lied and you (most A.netters anyway) would cease on that to cut him down to size. But depending on the setting-and you must weigh this- it might be best NOt to do what you feel is necessary. Say nothing sit on it ..and say nothing.

That guy will keep going with BS and will set up himself for someone to call him on his BS down the line. And that's when you come in with 'ummm yeah, my dad worked for American and they never flew thew Concorde.'

Depending on the level of maturity of the crowd, shape the delivery line to more accommodating for the setting.
Younger people - you're expected to be harsh.
Middle-aged adults - keep it respectful but stand your ground.
The older crowd - easy because as you may know, they're all about 'watching and listening to you (...aka sizing you up as coming across plausible or not)

Step Three:
Don't show any signs of being insecure (hard I know)..fidgeting (playing with your watch) or visual nervousness. Be sure to hold a glass of something to deter that.
Hold firm..start your confidence growth, it's always been there..you just never bothered to connect with it.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Jouhou

Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:12 pm

I get an INTJ usually on the Myers-briggs test but the "I" sometimes becomes an "E" and the "J" sometimes becomes a "P" depending on my mood, the "NT" is the only part that stays the same for me.

However, I'd say my lifestyle is pretty introverted and when I'm being extroverted it's somewhat forced and a bit draining.

People at work try to make small talk with me on what I did with my weekend, my response is usually "I slept". This weekend is no exception.

flipdewaf

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:02 am

[quote="BN747"][/quote]I think you have confused being introverted and being confident. Being introverted is not something that needs to be fixed ad worked through whereas confidence maybe is.

As Far as I understand it the difference between introverted and extroverted is where you derive your motivational energy. An introvert draws it from themselves and finds it draining to be around others too much whereas an extrovert draws their energy from others and can find it draining to be alone too much. Like most things however it is a continuum.

I am an extrovert in the most extreme sense, I am happiest stood in front of a crowd but value my introverted friends and colleagues for what they bring to the table, they do not need to change to be more extroverted. Also at the other end of the spectrum don't assume an extrovert is confident because they are "loud" or "brash", this is often a default "comfort" setting and can be coping mechanism that is often overlooked and misunderstood.

Fred

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:04 am

777222LR wrote:

I tend to do the same thing. Just yesterday I met a guy in person (though we had been chatting for a couple of days). We both geeked out over politics, cruises, vacations, airplanes, etc. That was very easy for me to do.

The other thing I hate is when I’m chatting with someone and someone else hijacks the conversation. Today I was chatting with a guy when another one joined in. After he said where he worked, the other kept chatting with him (they worked in the same site, one knew the other’s manager, and they turned the conversation to worklife at that site). Needless to say I did a Homer with the hedges (slowly walked away from the conversation).

seb146

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:21 am

You go on. I have to color code my sock drawer.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

BN747

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:08 am

flipdewaf wrote:
BN747 wrote:
I think you have confused being introverted and being confident. Being introverted is not something that needs to be fixed ad worked through whereas confidence maybe is.

As Far as I understand it the difference between introverted and extroverted is where you derive your motivational energy. An introvert draws it from themselves and finds it draining to be around others too much whereas an extrovert draws their energy from others and can find it draining to be alone too much. Like most things however it is a continuum.

I am an extrovert in the most extreme sense, I am happiest stood in front of a crowd but value my introverted friends and colleagues for what they bring to the table, they do not need to change to be more extroverted. Also at the other end of the spectrum don't assume an extrovert is confident because they are "loud" or "brash", this is often a default "comfort" setting and can be coping mechanism that is often overlooked and misunderstood.

Fred

That's good that works for you..but you are sorely mistaken if you think confidence is apart from one being an introvert.

Most, if not all will admit to 'shyness'.

Shyness a constant state of fear of being rejected, scrutinized or fear of some inadequate display/participation. ( I dunno what Webster says, but I'll go with what life itself has shown me).

Almost all people are born without confidence. As infants/children we fear any and everything unfamiliar.
Most pick up on the meaning of 'public confidence' faster than most - but thru various life experiences and observations.

I can recall every stage of my conversion from being a shy kid to confident (admittedly aggressively so at times).

I can easily recall my introverted years

But my most bolstering boost happened in 9th grade.
I got into a heated exchange with another kid I did not like.

In a blink of an eye, the kid..standing 1 foot away from me, face-to-face did a sweeping front kick striking me on the side of my face.
I never saw it coming...and never knew what hit men.

I swallowed by pride, paused and asked the kid, where the fuck did he learn that? We became best of friends.
He took me to his Tae Kwon Do classes and I learned.

Never had to use it until later in the military when during a nitghclub closing...I saw a guy pummeling a smaller kid from my squadron.
I tried to stop it, the aggressor turn on me and did a roundhouse and knocked him clean on his ass...and like movie, the crowd backed away while oooing and awwwing.
That sent me up a number of notches as far as confidence goes, girls saw it ...and remembered.

But then came the erasing of 'ignorance' (which we all start life with) it led me to start my first business at age 23. And upwardly mobile was the course as well as gaining knowledge.

The confidence in knowing 'belief in a god' is nothing more than human conception of days when most people were trapped in abject ignorance...thanks Quantum Mechanics/Physics!

But the things I saw and learned, like with the right connections you can have an airline clear out booked First Class seats ..making room for your party!
And it doesn't end there...but my point is we each have a path to more confidence...we must try.

Once acquired..know that you must manage it! You must be responsible with it.

That kid that got me into Tae Kwon Do...has been in jail for 15 years and has at least 10 more to go. He was not 'responsible but very over confident..and it cost him.

Another case, a Italian woman who came out of nowhere. Opened an office across the hall from my office - within two years, she was the Top Stylist from Tom Cruise, Kiefer Sutherland, Brad Pitt and a ton more. I'd hear people petting my dog who laid in the doorway...go and see actors like Francis Fisher petting and talking to him.

The stylish woman was having some serious computer/web issues, I put here in contact with my computer guru and as he's assisting her - she asked him (with two assistants mind you) to go pick up her dry cleaning. He told me afterwards...and I went over an gave her the nasty business and lessons on 'I don't care who you think you are...I suggest someone (he teaches at UCLA) to assist you as a favor to me and pull that stupid shit! Don't ever ask me fore anything again'.

But that told me a lot about her, how she does business plus her assistants loved my dog and hanging out in my place - told me of her quirks and conduct.
From Studio employment dealings and knowing the 'acceptables and unacceptables of directors, producers, actors....I knew instantly she was on borrowed time.

And sure enough, 3 years later she has a tiny little dress shop on Melrose (now out of business)

Confidence got her the A-listers...Over Confidence derailed her gravy train.

Because many digital age nerds are successful financially (giving them unprecedented confidence)..if they fail to transfer some of that into 'social confidence'...it will become their worst nightmare.

Confidence is required to start easing from introverted personalities - but sure, Everybody is capable but Not Everyone is willing.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

BN747

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:11 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
777222LR wrote:

I tend to do the same thing. Just yesterday I met a guy in person (though we had been chatting for a couple of days). We both geeked out over politics, cruises, vacations, airplanes, etc. That was very easy for me to do.

The other thing I hate is when I’m chatting with someone and someone else hijacks the conversation. Today I was chatting with a guy when another one joined in. After he said where he worked, the other kept chatting with him (they worked in the same site, one knew the other’s manager, and they turned the conversation to worklife at that site). Needless to say I did a Homer with the hedges (slowly walked away from the conversation).

You should have 'excused yourself' almost immediately. If the guy valued your presence then...he will seek it again because you're departure said all that needed to be said.

BN747

flipdewaf

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:41 am

[quote="BN747"][/quote]
You see I can only see you talking about confidence, nothing about intro/extroversion at all. Your stories are all about self confidence. I'm sure Bill Gates is a fairly confident man but yet he is still clearly an introvert and is not a problem.

Fred

BN747

Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:28 am

flipdewaf wrote:
BN747 wrote:

You see I can only see you talking about confidence, nothing about intro/extroversion at all. Your stories are all about self confidence. I'm sure Bill Gates is a fairly confident man but yet he is still clearly an introvert and is not a problem.

Fred

He was included in the nerd-tech comment I made.

That kind of confidence last as long as your money does...in his case. 50 life times.

The muscle guy confidence, fleeting as well...he catches a debilitating disease and all that muscle confidence is gone.
Like a past set of friends, complete roid juiced muscle heads...both shooting up the same chems, but one got a grapefruit sized growth just above his ass cheek ( he made each injection)

Less than a month later...all that muscle mass - Gone! So did much of his confidence. Because it wasn't 'mental confidence'..which Anyone can measure up to, if they so desire.

BN747

vikkyvik

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:44 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

Yes and no. I have an extremely difficult time socializing with people I don't know. I hate it - literally one of the most uncomfortable situations I can be in.

But it has nothing to do with online interaction. I don't really interact that deeply with that people online. And oftentimes, even with those I've "met" online, it can still be awkward in person.

BN747 wrote:
Fellas, this can be overcome.

Sure, if you view it as something to overcome. Or I can just be myself, and do what I like to do, and not do what I don't like to do.

BN747 wrote:
unattractive and an repulsive he is

You're not helping. If there is someone reading this who looks like Chris Christie, congrats, you just told him he is unattractive and repulsive.

BN747 wrote:
I think Christie was an athlete in school, if he was (not worth googling-wow it's a word now) then he had that built extrovert factor by default.

Why would you say that? I was an athlete in high school. Was never extroverted.

BN747 wrote:
I thought to myself, where is all that on-air confidence every has witnessed at one time or another.

That's his job. Apparently he does it well. He doesn't need to be the same off-camera.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:55 pm

BN747, you keep talking about confidence and that is related to, but not the same thing as, being introvert/extrovert.

Put me in front of a podium for public speaking and I'll enjoy the spotlight. Let me audition for something in front of people, let me sing karaoke for strangers, and I will do my best.

Being placed in a room full of strangers that show no interest in talking to others except those they already know has nothing to do with confidence. I was confident enough to make the trek to go there in the first place. But introverts like myself thrive in situations where we engage with fewer people but also feel like we have a common theme. Again, this was displayed when I managed to chat 1-1 with a guy before the conversation got hijacked to something I could not relate with. If I were a shy person, I would have not even kept a conversation going. Heck, I wouldn't have gone there in the first place.

afcjets

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:52 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
BN747, you keep talking about confidence and that is related to, but not the same thing as, being introvert/extrovert.

Put me in front of a podium for public speaking and I'll enjoy the spotlight. Let me audition for something in front of people, let me sing karaoke for strangers, and I will do my best.

Being placed in a room full of strangers that show no interest in talking to others except those they already know has nothing to do with confidence. I was confident enough to make the trek to go there in the first place. But introverts like myself thrive in situations where we engage with fewer people but also feel like we have a common theme. Again, this was displayed when I managed to chat 1-1 with a guy before the conversation got hijacked to something I could not relate with. If I were a shy person, I would have not even kept a conversation going. Heck, I wouldn't have gone there in the first place.

You're missing the point. An extrovert has confidence in all social settings, whereas many introverts only have confidence in social settings where they have an edge. Also, your opening post and title suggest you want to become more social, not less, which by definition means more extroverted. Yes, there are introverts who are totally that way by choice (and would have no desire to go to a luncheon like that), but again it seems you want to overcome it, so in your case it seems like confidence is definitely a factor.

BN747

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:23 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
BN747 wrote:

You're not helping. If there is someone reading this who looks like Chris Christie, congrats, you just told him he is unattractive and repulsive.

Most people worldwide are unattractive (by hype media-related image standards)..period.

Everyone can't be Anne Hathaway or Chris Evans in looks, it they were Hollywood would projecting and entirely different 'image of beauty to the world.
Again, MOST people fall into the 'unattractive category' of looks. It's no big deal..unless you make it one.
Unattractive people make the world work, they make the world what it is.
By our 'accepting' Hollywood's (plus the Fashion world) standards of beauty- has kids going extreme measures 'to improve their image'...which in my opinion
has gone too far..but sadly will not end anytime soon.

I don't consider myself 'attractive' by those standards and I'm perfectly ok with that and should ANYONE feeling 'left out' or marginalized by hot chick or handsome guy in the office who wields their looks like a weapon. I'm simply saying 'don't fall for it and resist feeding into it.

I'm not one to 'help' by omitting or lying about the role of 'appearance' in one's confidence level..it is a huge part of self introspection in attempting gauge how one appears to others.
Christie is just example of (many) how an unattractive person can overcome the media (entertainment in particular) hype over looks...it's just a meaningless facade.

You knock yourself out by sugar coating the issue all you want, I see as example of the bogus 'we are special' showered on children to assuage their short comings.

But image perception is vitally important to too a change in attitude of someone seeking to 'improve' their standing because more f*n judging than ever before,
We have more access to information (and use it) in daily on-the-spot evaluations of others. Decades ago, we were far from the instant judgemental age of today...and that will easily deter
an introvert person from making efforts to 'fit in'....of course, if they want to.

So yes, address your public appearance (how the world sees you) if you decide to take on the challenge to change that 'trait' you hate about yourself.

BN747

vikkyvik

Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:35 pm

BN747 wrote:
You knock yourself out by sugar coating the issue all you want

I'm not sugar-coating anything.

You're basically saying, "hey, you're ugly, but you should learn to feel OK about that".

Sorry, there's plenty of middle ground between sugar-coating and being an asshole.

BN747 wrote:
by hype media-related image standards

Why are we using those standards? That's exactly what we should be teaching people NOT to use as a comparison.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

BN747

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:27 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
BN747 wrote:
You knock yourself out by sugar coating the issue all you want

I'm not sugar-coating anything.

You're basically saying, "hey, you're ugly, but you should learn to feel OK about that".

Sorry, there's plenty of middle ground between sugar-coating and being an asshole.

Sure, if that works for you.

BN747 wrote:
by hype media-related image standards

vikkyvik wrote:
Why are we using those standards? That's exactly what we should be teaching people NOT to use as a comparison.

You saw the thread about 'kids choosing to be YouTubers rather than Astronauts', right?

Why is that?

The Power of media influence.
AGAIN! People, ALL of them are born ignorant! Life is about decreasings it's presence not enhancing it - called learning.

I'm not using those 'standards'...they are being spoon fed to us. Although you may be above it all as far as what is occurring...but that's just you thinking you are.
And in your own little world you are above it all...until you step in front of another or others, you are now subject to each and everyone of them looking at you, evaluating you and judging you- whether you know them or not.

Don't believe the majority of the world's planet is seduced by the 'standards'...take an accounting of all the numbers of participants of all media forms, from Facebook to Movies. Add them up.

You'll find the number of people seduced by the 'set standards' pretty much equals the global population...except you. You of course are above it all.

BN747

BN747

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:43 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
BN747 wrote:

I'm saying is okay to be unattractive, face it the unattractive out number the 'attractive' exponentially.
The unattractives make the world work.

Change is a bitch, notice how Fat Girls are now Full Figured Women - modeling now, increased prominent acting roles. A good standard Hollywood projects..mirroring society as it truly is.

So yeah, it's okay to be unattractive in appearance, but not so much internally (personality wise).
Don't run from who you are!

BN747

afcjets

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:53 pm

BN747 wrote:

Change is a bitch, notice how Fat Girls are now Full Figured Women

No, that is outdated too, today they are "curvy" ;)

Cadet985

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:21 pm

I’m an introvert who is also kinda afraid of being in social situations yet always lonely. I want (more) friends, but how to make friends is as foreign a concept to me as a jet engine would be to George Washington.

I’m also on the spectrum.

Marc

Tugger

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:28 pm

Something seems to be being missed in this thread, the fact that an introvert has absolutely no need to change, nor that being an extrovert is somehow "better" that being an introvert.

These are essentially definitions of what a person is, how they are personally wired. It is almost like (but not) sexuality etc. It is not something to "fix" nor any need to force one way of being onto people. Also each is not an absolute, there is a broad range of personality-type, as is noted above, not exactly one or the other.

So: Go introverts! Yay extroverts!

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

flipdewaf

Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:31 pm

Tugger wrote:
Something seems to be being missed in this thread, the fact that an introvert has absolutely no need to change, nor that being an extrovert is somehow "better" that being an introvert.

These are essentially definitions of what a person is, how they are personally wired. It is almost like (but not) sexuality etc. It is not something to "fix" nor any need to force one way of being onto people. Also each is not an absolute, there is a broad range of personality-type, as is noted above, not exactly one or the other.

So: Go introverts! Yay extroverts!

Tugg

Here here! This thread has totally run away with itself with people not really understanding what introverted and extroverted actually mean and what and how those different types behave. There has then been made an incorrect link to confidence and moved it on to body image and the media.

BN747 seems to be posting like someone in an exam who hasn’t revised properly and so is trying to put down everything in the hope that the correct answer lies somewhere within...

All this talk of trying to more extroverted, I’m trying to train myself in the ways of being more introverted as I struggle to work by myself and need interaction from others. All you introverts out there need to feel for the extrovert trying to write a report by themselves...

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BN747

Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:35 pm

afcjets wrote:
BN747 wrote:

Change is a bitch, notice how Fat Girls are now Full Figured Women

No, that is outdated too, today they are "curvy" ;)

Touché..

BN747

BN747

Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:38 pm

flipdewaf wrote:

BN747 seems to be posting like someone in an exam who hasn’t revised properly and so is trying to put down everything in the hope that the correct answer lies somewhere within...

All this talk of trying to more extroverted, I’m trying to train myself in the ways of being more introverted as I struggle to work by myself and need interaction from others. All you introverts out there need to feel for the extrovert trying to write a report by themselves...

Fred

You are certainly welcome to your interpretation...but you are way of the mark with that one.

BN747

flipdewaf

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:22 pm

BN747 wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

Fred

You are certainly welcome to your interpretation...but you are way of the mark with that one.

BN747

Do you know what introversion and extroversion are? You have only talked about confidence in this thread.

Fred

BN747

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:42 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
BN747 wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

Fred

BN747

Do you know what introversion and extroversion are? You have only talked about confidence in this thread.

Fred

Clearly, you do not.

Introversion derives from the root term - introvert (subject - which I was)
Extroversion derives from the root term - extrovert (not the subject - but my persona today)

You stated 'BN747 acts like he's taking an exam'...will that exam as I have laid out with personal accounts of my trek from introvert to extrovert - which I would never want to return to.
The Exam was and is...the exam of a life lived to this point.

The psychological toll on introverted personalities (to me) is a lot like those Arab women wearing those Bee Keeper suits (proper term escapes me).
Introverted personas mean keeping alot to one's self..in doing so means a lot of brain activity of evaluations of many many things...and a lot of 'good and useful' thoughts - that is when not hating on everyone else having fun but not you.

So much creative and innovative is bottled up and rarely available to the world. Thankfully for the internet, Introverts have an outlet to communicate their thoughts and connect with one another in a way never before afforded to a world of Introverts.

But unfortunately, it lacks the social component..which is a restriction of sorts that can assist who knows were that block of communication made available. Everyone does not live on the internet - yet!

We humans are social animals, yep..even introverts fit in some social connections. Whereas a hermit is introvert extreme..and usually not a friendly bunch. Yet not a threat, the Unibomber excepted.

Those two terms are the living the life of their root meanings, what ever you choose to add to it is of your own interpretation.

BN747

If you are comfortable

flipdewaf

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:08 am

BN747 wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

Fred

Clearly, you do not.

Extroversion derives from the root term - extrovert (not the subject - but my persona today)

You stated 'BN747 acts like he's taking an exam'...will that exam as I have laid out with personal accounts of my trek from introvert to extrovert - which I would never want to return to.

The psychological toll on introverted personalities (to me) is a lot like those Arab women wearing those Bee Keeper suits (proper term escapes me).
Introverted personas mean keeping alot to one's self..in doing so means a lot of brain activity of evaluations of many many things...and a lot of 'good and useful' thoughts - that is when not hating on everyone else having fun but not you.

So much creative and innovative is bottled up and rarely available to the world. Thankfully for the internet, Introverts have an outlet to communicate their thoughts and connect with one another in a way never before afforded to a world of Introverts.

But unfortunately, it lacks the social component..which is a restriction of sorts that can assist who knows were that block of communication made available. Everyone does not live on the internet - yet!

We humans are social animals, yep..even introverts fit in some social connections. Whereas a hermit is introvert extreme..and usually not a friendly bunch. Yet not a threat, the Unibomber excepted.

Those two terms are the living the life of their root meanings, what ever you choose to add to it is of your own interpretation.

BN747

If you are comfortable

You’re still talking about confidence, a different (but worthy) subject.

Introverts derive energy from themselves and expel energy in social scenarios whereas extroverts derive energy from others and expel energy when alone. This drives preferences of interaction in social and work situations but by no means drives confidence in and of itself.

Fred

BN747

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:24 am

flipdewaf wrote:
BN747 wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

Fred

Clearly, you do not.

BN747

If you are comfortable

Introverts derive energy from themselves and expel energy in social scenarios whereas extroverts derive energy from others and expel energy when alone. This drives preferences of interaction in social and work situations but by no means drives confidence in and of itself.

Fred

Lets break down what you just said.

Introverts derive energy from themselves.
Whereas extroverts derive energy from others .

What exactly does that mean? Energy? What energy? If I'm correct in understanding what you are getting at, I'd say your aiming at 'what makes each 'tick'. What drives them.

That answer requires the answer to 'what conditions determined one to be introvert or extrovert.

Then we can address what makes drives each in which direction they choose.

...your ball.

BN747

flipdewaf

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:02 am

BN747 wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
BN747 wrote:

Clearly, you do not.

BN747

If you are comfortable

Fred

Bingo, except the opposing option also drains that energy.
BN747 wrote:

What exactly does that mean? Energy? What energy? If I'm correct in understanding what you are getting at, I'd say your aiming at 'what makes each 'tick'. What drives them.
Pretty much although I'd not use the drive one but what makes people 'tick' is a good way to put it.

BN747 wrote:

That answer requires the answer to 'what conditions determined one to be introvert or extrovert.

There appears to be some good info on Wikipedia about it, like most personality traits it is a difficult things to measure and understand and will come down to a nature vs nurture debate.
BN747 wrote:

If
a. You want to control it
b. It can be controlled at all
c. It can be controlled from a time when a person has the ability to make a conscious decision about it . i.e. if the drivers for change are all done by age 18months then you'd be out of luck.
BN747 wrote:
...your ball.
Lol as an extrovert I don't need inviting to a conversation... :praise:

Fred

BN747

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:10 am

flipdewaf wrote:
BN747 wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

Fred

BN747 wrote:

Pretty much although I'd not use the drive one but what makes people 'tick' is a good way to put it.

BN747 wrote:

There appears to be some good info on Wikipedia about it, like most personality traits it is a difficult things to measure and understand and will come down to a nature vs nurture debate.
BN747 wrote:

If
c. It can be controlled from a time when a person has the ability to make a conscious decision about it . i.e. if the drivers for change are all done by age 18months then you'd be out of luck.
BN747 wrote:
...your ball.

Fred

You do realize that you did not answer the question, right?

BN747

flipdewaf

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:19 am

BN747 wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747 wrote:

BN747 wrote:

BN747 wrote:

If
BN747 wrote:
...your ball.

Fred

BN747

I didn't realise, which question?

Fred

VSMUT

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:02 am

BN747 wrote:

It means at the end of a day, an introvert is more likely to go home and tinker with some sort of hobby on his own to decouple and relax. An extrovert will seek out friends to do some sort of activity to achieve the same.
It means introverts will find it more stressful to be in a large congregation, while extroverts will thrive in it and vice versa.

The term energy is vague in this context, it refers more to how much mental and physical "energy" you have to do activities for example (ergo, "I came home from work and was just so wasted that I fell asleep on the sofa", or "I'm completely out of energy, so I'm not going to the gym today"), not the stuff a powerplant generates.

On an interesting side note, I've noticed that perceptions of extroversion and introversion vary wildly from one country/culture to another. Introversion is almost seen as a negative trait in Anglo-American and Scandinavian culture, while it is a highly attractive trait in for example Switzerland and Germany. I attended an international school in Central Europe for much of my youth, where nerding about with a subject on your own or in small groups was encouraged, but on joining a school in Denmark was looked down on for being anti-social etc. There was a much higher focus on "participation", speaking up in a large and often noisy and unruly class and making sure you got heard, than on the actual results.

chimborazo

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:33 am

The introverts (not all, obviously but to generalise there’s a certain “type” that achieve these things) sent people to the moon and have done and still do amazing things. The beauty of life is the variety. I’m an extrovert to hide my naturally shy tendencies.

We need the introverts... let them do their thing unless they feel they want to be different.

NoTime

Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:41 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

Was there anxiety involved?

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:47 pm

NoTime wrote:

Yes, but more of a worry in the back of my head as to whether being there was worth leaving meal prep and laundry for much later in the afternoon. The anxiety was less about how people judged me and more about whether I was making good use of my time at an event where people kept to themselves or only those they knew. In the few instances I was engaged talking to people, I was at ease (in other words, I'm doing something with my time).

It was the same feeling I get at family gatherings that go for too long: after a while, I wanted to leave and spend time by myself doing other things (the phone can only do so much and unless you have WiFi or unlimited data, it won't help). I used to bring a book and after the small talk and meal I'd retreat to another room to read (this was pre-smartphones). I also get the feeling when I go to the bars (with or without friends). There comes a point in the evening where I just want to step out to a place that's less crowded (had my drink(s), had my bit of fun, now let's do something lower-key).

NoTime

Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:20 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
NoTime wrote:

Yes, but more of a worry in the back of my head as to whether being there was worth leaving meal prep and laundry for much later in the afternoon. The anxiety was less about how people judged me and more about whether I was making good use of my time at an event where people kept to themselves or only those they knew. In the few instances I was engaged talking to people, I was at ease (in other words, I'm doing something with my time).

It was the same feeling I get at family gatherings that go for too long: after a while, I wanted to leave and spend time by myself doing other things (the phone can only do so much and unless you have WiFi or unlimited data, it won't help). I used to bring a book and after the small talk and meal I'd retreat to another room to read (this was pre-smartphones). I also get the feeling when I go to the bars (with or without friends). There comes a point in the evening where I just want to step out to a place that's less crowded (had my drink(s), had my bit of fun, now let's do something lower-key).

So it's not a social-anxiety thing, it's more of an anxiety based on whether or not you're using your time effectively/productively? That's interesting. The obvious response would be - if you think it is getting in the way of living "your best life" (bleh, hate that phrase) then maybe speak with your doctor? Better living through science, man - there are plenty of medications out there that won't make you a zombie and don't carry any terrible side-effects. It might be worth taking a look at some of those, in the hope of just relaxing that nagging voice that is reminding you that you might be wasting time.

I'd be curious to know (and you're certainly under no obligation... obviously) if you also have OCD tendencies...? Or if you think it's truly just a result of introversion.

As for being an introvert, I'm an ISTP and disagree with a lot of what is being said up-thread. I think if you're truly an introvert, then you can learn to fake extroversion to a very high degree, but you'll always need that rest and recovery time - a chance to recharge. I liken it to being a creative person. If you're naturally creative, and end up in a job that doesn't allow you to make use of that creativity (and don't have time for hobbies that allow you to be creative), then you're going to be absolutely miserable. By the same token, if you're an introvert and don't ever allow yourself to be introverted, then you're going to be miserable and depressed.

BN747

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:33 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

Fred

Basically, when I was stating the difference between Introversion vs Extroversion I was pushing you to explain why? You didn't get it..you're just focused on 'what is' and why and the role of confidence.

Like any set of conditions, there is a causal factor, a beginning. The defining character of either personally trait starts from childhood. I'd guess that a kid as I was with a few brothers and a sister is less likely to be introverts but can be such in formative years, but sibling interaction is sure to chip away at that, not always...but most likely.

A single child upbringing most likely has a huge impact on a child becoming an introvert. My nephew was exactly that.

My brother and his wife are what I can Super Sonic Christians, (I have little to do with them because I think they are nuts)..but I did fake it as they raised their kid as I tried to engage him and break from becoming the anti-social basket case his parents were making him into. I was even considerate enough to bite my tongue in religious conversations, dinner praying BS, etc. But when he went off to college and was of age, I then unloaded and told him the god stuff indoctrinated upon him was bullshit. But I think it had no effect and that's ok, I said my piece..one that no one else would. He's still a rather confused kid, hopefully he will grow beyond the bubble they left in.

In a nutshell, I'm saying others (aka parents) have the largest impact on a kids behavior. Example, as kids we were allowed to have friends sleepover and we were allowed to spend nights at our friends place. My brother/wife forbade both of those. They were the ultimate helicopter parents. I could go on...but in short, they really fucked the kid up - for life.

I see a lot of that these days, but there's a number of parental errors to rearing a child/children ...and many of them leave a kid no choice, no confidence to socially engage with others, infact too many enable it. The worst are to watch privileged rich kids grow up with little or no social skills - they become full blown assholes, I'm seeing unfold daily as we speak.

VSMUT wrote:
On an interesting side note, I've noticed that perceptions of extroversion and introversion vary wildly from one country/culture to another. Introversion is almost seen as a negative trait in Anglo-American and Scandinavian culture, while it is a highly attractive trait in for example Switzerland and Germany. I attended an international school in Central Europe for much of my youth, where nerding about with a subject on your own or in small groups was encouraged, but on joining a school in Denmark was looked down on for being anti-social etc. There was a much higher focus on "participation", speaking up in a large and often noisy and unruly class and making sure you got heard, than on the actual results.

That is a very interesting take and observation and I can saw I've personally witnessed when abroad but never given much thought to...but now that you mention it, in retrospect I clearly now see the difference in attitude.

chimborazo wrote:
The introverts (not all, obviously but to generalise there’s a certain “type” that achieve these things) sent people to the moon and have done and still do amazing things. The beauty of life is the variety. I’m an extrovert to hide my naturally shy tendencies.

We need the introverts... let them do their thing unless they feel they want to be different.

Well stated, I mentioned above that introverts usually have much more brain activity going on...well because they rather be 'there' than with others. Extroverts must direct quite a bit of brain activity to focusing on who with those they are engaging whereas the Introvert is using that time sorting out or engaging in deep thoughts of problem solving nature (if they are not of the incel/hateful types). Once I heard a astrophysicist state that "once you understand infinity - from the viewpoint of mathematics- you are always thinking about, you can't let go and you never view things the same."
I think that kind of deep analysis occurs with introverts on a multitude of subjects, but specific subject(s) depending on the individual. In other words, when they lock onto something...they're dedication is uninterrupted, unfettered and laser like precision.

BN747

vikkyvik

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:43 pm

BN747 wrote:
but sibling interaction is sure to chip away at that, not always...but most likely.

BN747 wrote:
A single child upbringing most likely has a huge impact on a child becoming an introvert.

BN747 wrote:
Well stated, I mentioned above that introverts usually have much more brain activity going on

BN747 wrote:
whereas the Introvert is using that time sorting out or engaging in deep thoughts of problem solving nature

BN747 wrote:
In other words, when they lock onto something...they're dedication is uninterrupted, unfettered and laser like precision.

Have a source for any of that?

Because I tend to think that there is as broad a spectrum of introverts as there are of extroverts. My introversion could be quite different from EinsteinBoricua's.

(and I have 3 siblings, a large extended family, played sports and did lots of other extracurriculars, etc....)

BN747

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:52 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
BN747 wrote:
but sibling interaction is sure to chip away at that, not always...but most likely.

BN747 wrote:
A single child upbringing most likely has a huge impact on a child becoming an introvert.

BN747 wrote:
Well stated, I mentioned above that introverts usually have much more brain activity going on

BN747 wrote:
whereas the Introvert is using that time sorting out or engaging in deep thoughts of problem solving nature

BN747 wrote:
In other words, when they lock onto something...they're dedication is uninterrupted, unfettered and laser like precision.

Put your knives back into the drawer...you're looking to spar over shared observations.

vikkyvik wrote:
Because I tend to think that there is as broad a spectrum of introverts as there are of extroverts. My introversion could be quite different from EinsteinBoricua's.

(and I have 3 siblings, a large extended family, played sports and did lots of other extracurriculars, etc....)

Obviously! Just as ALL our paths to either, extrovert or introvert are of 7 Billion paths, but many of those paths share commonalities.

If you continue with combative 'tude, find someone else to engage - I'm done with your silliness.

BN747

zrs70

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:19 pm

You would be surprised at just how introverted most people you might think are extroverts really are.

Most religious leaders I know are introverts. But you would never think of it when you see them in action. But get them off the pulpit, and they are often quite shy.
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

BN747

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:47 pm

zrs70 wrote:
You would be surprised at just how introverted most people you might think are extroverts really are.

Most religious leaders I know are introverts. But you would never think of it when you see them in action. But get them off the pulpit, and they are often quite shy.

I certainly would not. And the opposite.
You could be a very introverted person...at an Airliners show and watch the guy open up when he comes across 'a find' he's been looking for all his life. Or he meets his favorite actor at Comicon.
Shyness - gone (temporarily).

There are 'part-time' introverts as well as part-time extroverts, in those cases I think a reason for a back n forth shift rationale may be by choice and dictated by mood or situational circumstances.
But there are certainly many considerations to determine why, but if it is psychological triggering of the shift then who knows what ignites that? A psychiatrist?

Am I an introvert when Chatty Cathy sits next me on a flight? No...just like most people, just want to be left alone. But she might 'think''.."ooh, he's an introvert!" and for that moment - she's right.
And that point is we are always sunject to someone else's misinterpretation.

But yes, they exist.

BN747

flipdewaf

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:00 pm

BN747 wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

Fred

Basically, when I was stating the difference between Introversion vs Extroversion I was pushing you to explain why? You didn't get it..you're just focused on 'what is' and why and the role of confidence.

Gotcha! Personally I think its important to know what something actually is before you try and explain why its happening or what its causal effects are. I would refute that I am tryig to look at the role of confidence, I would argue that it is others who are misunderstanding and confusing confidence for extroversion. I personally think they are two completely different things.
BN747 wrote:

Like any set of conditions, there is a causal factor, a beginning.

A or Many causal factors...

BN747 wrote:

The defining character of either personally trait starts from childhood.
Or before
BN747 wrote:

I'd guess that a kid as I was with a few brothers and a sister is less likely to be introverts but can be such in formative years, but sibling interaction is sure to chip away at that, not always...but most likely.

Interestingly I am one of 4 brothers, 2 are mild extroverts, one an introvert and myself.
BN747 wrote:

A single child upbringing most likely has a huge impact on a child becoming an introvert. My nephew was exactly that.

My father was one of 5 and is an introvert, my mother although one of 3 was a late child to the family and so effectively grew up as an only child and is an extrovert.
BN747 wrote:

when they lock onto something...they're dedication is uninterrupted, unfettered and laser like precision.

Or often wondering without external influence to guide the process correctly to a useful goal, try dealing with academics who sometimes don't understand that a clock is a useful tool outside of their own brain. Herding cats is often a very important skill I have to use in my job.

Extro/Introversion is only a small part of someones character, I think we may be trying to define too much from a single trait.

Fred

casinterest

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:13 am

For all of you trying to play catch up, here is a good site with a free test.

https://www.personalityperfect.com/16-p ... ity-types/
Where ever you go, there you are.

EstherLouise

Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:12 am

Hi... I'm an ENTJ. Let's go play Spin The Bottle.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

Aaron747

Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:11 am

vikkyvik wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747 wrote:

BN747 wrote:

BN747 wrote:

BN747 wrote:

Agree overall with this - also have a large extended family I saw often growing up, did sports and extra curriculars in school but never had more than a handful of close friends...everyone else was kind of scenery I observed and kept at bay. I compensated for not knowing what to do in social situations by being a reliable source of observational and dark humor.

As an adult, I hit a point somewhere in my late 20s where I stopped caring in general what others thought and conducted my life and work largely my own way. Naturally, I value the thoughts and impressions of those close to me, and strive to be a reliable and assertive presence to them. Everyone else is kind of an annoyance until I have a reason to feel otherwise, but that’s possibly borne of my cynical view of humanity and where it’s going.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty