DocLightning
Topic Author

Advice on a smart watch

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:18 am

I have an Apple Watch and I love it. My husband, however, is an Android user (I know; it's exhausting).

So I want to get him a smart watch. He's a fitness buff, so I want it to be good at tracking steps and heart rate and calories burned. I want it to be easy to use. Basically, I want the Android-compatible smartwatch that is most similar to the Apple Watch.

So, recommendations?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ikolkyo

Re: Advice on a smart watch

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:20 am

Think you got the wrong forum Doc, haha.

DocLightning
Topic Author

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:44 am

ikolkyo wrote:

This is Non-Av, right? There are people on this forum who are gadgety geeks. I think I'm in the right forum.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ikolkyo

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:49 am

DocLightning wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:

This is Non-Av, right? There are people on this forum who are gadgety geeks. I think I'm in the right forum.

I think it got moved because this thread was sitting right above the BA DTW thread for me anyways.

akelley728

Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:02 am

DocLightning wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:

Your post was originally in Civil Aviation, which is where I found it. Mods moved it, all is good.

I know there are a plethora of Android Apple Watch wannabes. They are all great smart watches. But for true fitness buffs like your husband, none of them will truly do everything he might want to track.

I would seriously look at a watch that has been built from the ground up as a fitness watch. I am a marathon runner who also bikes and swims and goes to the gym and likes yoga. I am a big fan of Garmin. Their latest smart watches tracks everything a fitness buff could want. And most important, are both Android and Apple compatible.

The best one out there is the Garmin 945. Check out the in-depth review here:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/gar ... eview.html

DocLightning
Topic Author

Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:03 am

ikolkyo wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:

I think it got moved because this thread was sitting right above the BA DTW thread for me anyways.

Oh, I was sure I put it in Non-Av. I guess I butterfingered?
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

einsteinboricua

Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:13 am

DocLightning wrote:
I guess I butterfingered?

Feeling kinda LOST, aren't we?

Anyway, Fitbits are really nice and are compatible with both iOS and Android. I had the Charge 2 as a starter watch but eventually went with Apple Watch, but there are more advanced Fitbits that have better displays, similar to the Apple Watch.

I've also heard good things about the Garmin watches too.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Kiwirob

Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:30 am

Almost anything from garmin especially the MARQ watches, if he’s active they blow away everything else. You’ll be junking the Apple and buying one yourself, it’s a much better tool.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/03/gar ... ds-on.html

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:36 am

It hasn't come out yet, but the Galaxy Watch Active 2 seems kinda nice.

But then, what do I know? I still use a Swatch analog I got in 2016.

https://www.cnet.com/news/galaxy-watch- ... september/
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

aklrno

Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:30 am

DocLightning wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

Please tell me you are not a surgeon!

Airstud

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:23 am

aklrno wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:

DocLightning is... is the guy.
Pancakes are delicious.

DocLightning
Topic Author

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:10 pm

aklrno wrote:

Only when you're the patient. ;)
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

seat64k

Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:47 pm

Are you necessarily looking for a smart watch or a fitness watch? What do you need it to do *other* than the basic fitness metrics? I myself have been lusting over an Apple Watch so I can use runkeeper without carrying the phone, but I'm struggling to see the value outside of the fitness stuff.

DocLightning wrote:
...so I want it to be good at tracking steps and heart rate and calories burned....

For those things, most fitness trackers will do. And if he's serious about sport, there are better options than generic smartwatches. Suunto, TomTom, Garmin, etc.

DocLightning
Topic Author

Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:00 am

seat64k wrote:
Are you necessarily looking for a smart watch or a fitness watch? What do you need it to do *other* than the basic fitness metrics? I myself have been lusting over an Apple Watch so I can use runkeeper without carrying the phone, but I'm struggling to see the value outside of the fitness stuff.

My Apple watch tells me at a glance what the temperature, AQI, UVI, and conditions are outside, its charge level, and the date. It also tracks my fitness data. It shows me who is calling and lets me accept or reject a call without taking out my phone. At work, it allows me to approve controlled substance prescriptions without taking out my phone (which I admit is not a benefit that most people would appreciate) and it also allows me to see who is texting me and even read the text message. I also get calendar alerts on it. Apple Pay is also part of the watch and can be activated by simply double-tapping the side button, so I can pay without taking out my phone, either. The settings are highly customizable, but I really enjoy the benefits of having that watch.

So I think I want more of a smart watch with good fitness function than a fitness watch with smart accessories.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Ken777

Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:16 pm

`Just read that Garmin is including SpO2 in their new line of watches. I'll bet that the Watch will have that in the next version. but there Hubby doesn't want an Apple product - yet.