jetwet1
Topic Author

NRA warns Trump against universal background checks

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:47 pm

Wayne LaPierre (head of the NRA) has reportedly warned President Trump against expanding background checks on firearms.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nra-reported ... 47370.html

A couple of interesting things come to mind, a recent poll by Politico found that 69% of those who currently hold a favorable view of Trump support mandatory background checks on all gun sales.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/ ... ns-1450897

Another thought that jumped into my mind is, the NRA is in an incredibly weak position, what are they going to do if Trump follows through with legislation, tell their members to vote Democrat ?

einsteinboricua

Re: NRA warns Trump against universal background checks

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:54 pm

It's nice to know that we have a president who is independent of all influence...except the NRA, churches, and Fox News.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

EstherLouise

Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:22 pm

The NRA is in shambles. They couldn't their ass from a hole in the ground at the moment.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

stratclub

Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:33 pm

Something that is glossed over is that at the bequest of gun manufacturing lobbyists the NRA edited out the most important part of the 2nd Amendment being: "A well regulated Militia." What we need to do as Patriotic Americans is to change the narrative from gun control to firearm responsibility. Just like driving a car or any other activity that could maim or kill people, firearm ownership should be a privilege you maintain by being of sound mind and being a fully responsible firearms owner.

Background check? It's a no brainer. My back ground check for a CCW permit came back clean. It's because I am not a felon a person with firearms related convictions or a domestic abuse practitioner/enthusiast.
Last edited by stratclub on Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T18

Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:41 pm

stratclub wrote:
. Just like driving a car or any other activity that could maim or kill people, firearm ownership should be a privilege you maintain by being of sound mind and being a fully responsible firearms owner.

While I do not really disagree with your thesis, I don't think we apply either of those bars to driving at the moment either.
For further discussion there, what constitutes being of sound mind? Should one be disqualified for Depression, ADHD, Anxiety disorders, past suicide attempts, mental handicaps?
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

stratclub

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:12 am

T18 wrote:
stratclub wrote:
. Just like driving a car or any other activity that could maim or kill people, firearm ownership should be a privilege you maintain by being of sound mind and being a fully responsible firearms owner.

While I do not really disagree with your thesis, I don't think we apply either of those bars to driving at the moment either.
For further discussion there, what constitutes being of sound mind? Should one be disqualified for Depression, ADHD, Anxiety disorders, past suicide attempts, mental handicaps?

Sorry sir/madam, I did edit my last post after you posted. Well sure, if you kill someone with your car and you are found negligible you loose your license and go to jail. I do agree that the laws seem to apply to after the fact. One thing that would helps us put firearm responsibility laws in the right perspective is if we had a Congress that actually worked for "We The People."

It sure seems like the only thing on the Democrat's agenda is to try and find yet another way to frame the President for something/anything he didn't do. The will of the people? Not a concern to the Democrats. I'm not saying that the Republicans are all that much better with their do nothing approach to government. What are the fossils of the Republican party called? Rhinos? Certainly, draining the swamp on both sides of the aisle is long overdue.

Aaron747

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:29 am

stratclub wrote:
T18 wrote:
stratclub wrote:

Sorry sir/madam, I did edit my last post after you posted. Well sure, if you kill someone with your car and you are found negligible you loose your license and go to jail. I do agree that the laws seem to apply to after the fact. One thing that would helps us put firearm responsibility laws in the right perspective is if we had a Congress that actually worked for "We The People."

It sure seems like the only thing on the Democrat's agenda is to try and find yet another way to frame the President for something he didn't do. The will of the people? Not a concern to them. I'm not saying that the Republicans are all that much better with their do nothing approach to politics. Certainly, draining the swamp on both sides of the aisle is long overdue.

The will of the people is not remotely at issue. A majority of 45 supporters support background checks and for 45 himself, disapproval is now 2nd worst at this point in his term to Carter, so a majority are against his policies anyway.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

alfa164

Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:43 am

stratclub wrote:
The will of the people? Not a concern to the Democrats.

If the Senate and the president believed in the "will of the people", we would already have universal background checks, a ban on assault-style rifles, and no more high-capacity magazines.

Maybe your criticism would be more responsible if directed at them.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

LH658

Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:46 am

Time to have gun owners to get licenses, banning large magazine, military style weapons, and background checks - across the whole US.

LittleSprocket

Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:07 am

LH658 wrote:
Time to have gun owners to get licenses, banning large magazine, military style weapons, and background checks - across the whole US.

Yeah...no. What other right do you want to require licenses for? How about for blacks so that they can vote? Should we require Jews to wear a swatch of cloth on their arms as well?

I promise you you will never get rid of “assault rifles” in this country. You can’t even get rid of them in leftists states like California or New York and for good reason. Now if you really want a good laugh, take a look at Caetano v. Massachusetts. In this ruling they stated the following: “The Court has held that “the Second Amendment ex- tends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding,”... this alone states that “assault rifles” are constitutional.

Now, I don’t expect y’all gun grabbers to understand this BUT accept the fact that the only way you will ever deprive law abiding citizens of their constitutionally protected rights is by changing the Constitution.

By the way, why do democrats always look to deprive citizens of their rights? Blacks couldn’t vote without a poll tax, Jim Crow, firearms rights as well as decrying free speech by those that they can’t stand that think differently than them...

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 8_aplc.pdf

Tudaloo!

seb146

Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:23 am

LittleSprocket wrote:
LH658 wrote:

Yeah...no. What other right do you want to require licenses for? How about for blacks so that they can vote? Should we require Jews to wear a swatch of cloth on their arms as well?

So why do we bother with licences and insurance for cars?

LittleSprocket wrote:
I promise you you will never get rid of “assault rifles” in this country. You can’t even get rid of them in leftists states like California or New York and for good reason.

And that reason is that people can simply go to the next state to buy hand held WMDs. The Gilroy right wing domestic terrorist did. Chicago is in Illinois, so people simply leave Chicago to get whatever weapon they want.

Until NRA and Republicans understand and accept the first four words of the Second Amendment, nothing will change.

All Lives Matter but guns matter more.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

tommy1808

Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:15 am

seb146 wrote:
LittleSprocket wrote:
LH658 wrote:

So why do we bother with licences and insurance for cars?.

because the founding fathers didn´t have enough foresight to include "Driving a Car" in the bill of rights, and some people seem to believe that rights only exist if they are written down.
Which of course would have the founding fathers shake their heads, uttering "you understood nothing" if they where still alive....

LittleSprocket wrote:
Yeah...no. What other right do you want to require licenses for?

So, in your reading of your rights it would be totally and utter ok for the US government to make laws assigning a future job to you at birth, because you don´t have the right to chose your occupation explicitly written down?
Pretty much everywhere else the right to chose your profession is a right laid out in constitutions. You still need qualifications to legally do many jobs regardless, and guess what, no one ever had any problem with that....

And somehow your freedom of speech is highly regulated to the point that the FCC can destroy your business by revoking your FCC License if you exercise your first amendment rights.

There are lots of requirements as a precondition to exercise your freedom of speech on public airwaves somehow.... seems that it is utterly constitutional to set preconditions for the use of "rights" on public property. Most streets are public property, right?

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

bgm

Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:29 am

LittleSprocket wrote:
LH658 wrote:

I promise you you will never get rid of “assault rifles” in this country. You can’t even get rid of them in leftists states like California or New York and for good reason. Now if you really want a good laugh, take a look at Caetano v. Massachusetts. In this ruling they stated the following: “The Court has held that “the Second Amendment ex- tends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding,”... this alone states that “assault rifles” are constitutional.

Now, I don’t expect y’all gun grabbers to understand this BUT accept the fact that the only way you will ever deprive law abiding citizens of their constitutionally protected rights is by changing the Constitution.

By the way, why do democrats always look to deprive citizens of their rights? Blacks couldn’t vote without a poll tax, Jim Crow, firearms rights as well as decrying free speech by those that they can’t stand that think differently than them...

Tudaloo!

People like you are why we continue to have mass shootings and inaction from Congress.

Why would any civilian need a semi automatic assault rifle?
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

Aaron747

Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:03 am

LittleSprocket wrote:
LH658 wrote:

Tudaloo!

Curious that you cite a per curiam decision in Caetano that is not seen as a sweeping declaration.

https://www.scotusblog.com/2016/03/the- ... t-by-much/

And you still have not answered the questions I raised in another thread on this matter, particularly in the post-Heller case environment where reasonable regulation is viable:

Kindly explain how you would answer, citing the quotes from 1788 and guarding against a ‘tyrannical state’ when a federal or SCOTUS justice asks the following in court:

‘in what measurable sense do the modern incarnation of assault weapons comprise a necessary and proper element of a public militia?’ and ‘by what armed mechanism can you identify current federal actions exercised as instruments of a purported tyrannical state?’
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Redd

Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:14 am

bgm wrote:

Compensation for something.

ltbewr

Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:33 am

I have no respect for the NRA. They seem to be a criminal organization at their top ranks from the NY Attorney General and news media investigations are showing. While I don't advocate for 'taking all the guns away' policies, their attitude makes our current culture as to guns much worse.

trpmb6

Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:23 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
stratclub wrote:
T18 wrote:

It sure seems like the only thing on the Democrat's agenda is to try and find yet another way to frame the President for something he didn't do. The will of the people? Not a concern to them. I'm not saying that the Republicans are all that much better with their do nothing approach to politics. Certainly, draining the swamp on both sides of the aisle is long overdue.

The will of the people is not remotely at issue. A majority of 45 supporters support background checks and for 45 himself, disapproval is now 2nd worst at this point in his term to Carter, so a majority are against his policies anyway.

As far as I know the only time a background check isn't performed during a sale of a firearm is between two private parties. Realistically its impossible to enforce such a thing between two parties anyways.

I've been to a gun show. Majority of vendors do background checks there too.

einsteinboricua

Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:36 pm

ltbewr wrote:
I have no respect for the NRA. They seem to be a criminal organization at their top ranks from the NY Attorney General and news media investigations are showing. While I don't advocate for 'taking all the guns away' policies, their attitude makes our current culture as to guns much worse.

That's because while the NRA may have had noble and humble beginnings (gun safety and your right to bear arms), it morphed into a gun manufacturer lobby. It strives to protect gun manufacturers and not gun owners. Its revenue is from gun sales, not membership. Hence their mantras about "good guys with guns stopping bad guys with guns" and "the guvmint gonna take away your guns": it stimulates sales which increases revenue...and on and on it goes.

What we need is for sensible gun owners who understand and agree that the 2nd Amendment is not absolute, and create a rival organization that's actually dedicated to protecting gun owners and advocating for sensible measures...oh, and is more transparent than the NRA.

casinterest

Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:39 pm

The NRA has no where left to go. They are a GOP mob of trigger happy fools. What are they going to do? Stay home and form their own right wing racist political party?
Where ever you go, there you are.

seb146

Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:16 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
stratclub wrote:

As far as I know the only time a background check isn't performed during a sale of a firearm is between two private parties. Realistically its impossible to enforce such a thing between two parties anyways.

Every time there is a mass shooting, the same people point to Chicago as to why gun laws don't work. I think you just pointed out one reason why CHICAGO gun laws don't work: private sales.

trpmb6

Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:10 pm

seb146 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Every time there is a mass shooting, the same people point to Chicago as to why gun laws don't work. I think you just pointed out one reason why CHICAGO gun laws don't work: private sales.

Brings up the old "Criminals don't obey the law" and "where there's a will, there's a way" phrases.

MSPNWA

Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:18 pm

bgm wrote:
People like you are why we continue to have mass shootings and inaction from Congress.

1) Talk about divisive language....

2) Ah, the old fallacy of "need". There's hundreds of things a person has that they don't "need", many of them dangerous/lethal to society.

So it depends on what constitutes a "need". I'd say the largest deterrent to a tyrannical government is more than enough "need" for you and me. Any U.S. resident should be thankful we have the gun laws we do and should be trying to protect them. Even non-gun owners "need" "assault" rifles too! Unfortunately they've been taught they don't need them, which is exactly what those in power want.

winginit

Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:37 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
I'd say the largest deterrent to a tyrannical government is more than enough "need" for you and me. Any U.S. resident should be thankful we have the gun laws we do and should be trying to protect them. Even non-gun owners "need" "assault" rifles too! Unfortunately they've been taught they don't need them, which is exactly what those in power want.

The argument that I think you're implying is that private citizens need semi-automatic long guns and comparable weapons because it would allow them to fight back against a tyrannical government if need be, which is such a fantastically foolish argument in this day and age. Let's draw that argument to it's conclusion shall we? The government turns tyrannical or oppressive to the point where it's time for the citizens of this country to rise up and engage in violent conflict with them? Pitting the guns of private citizens against... drones? Pray tell how you think that would go.

Ridiculous. A hedge against a scenario that will never, ever play out, and even if it were to citizens having weapons wouldn't do a thing in the face of the government's firepower.

Tugger

Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:31 pm

"Need" isn't the issue, it is the imagined fact that any US citizen has the "right" to and therefore can carry any weapon.

Oh except for machine guns, and hand grenades and many other weapons. But for some reason many insist that if they "want" to have any firea... oh sorry, any but certain selected arms, but for some reason "burst fire" and firearms easily converted to such rapid fire can't be restricted (again except for those other weapons).

You know, because 2nd amendment (but don't think of the whole amendment! Just use the judicial activism part).
Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

ER757

Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:48 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
Another thought that jumped into my mind is, the NRA is in an incredibly weak position, what are they going to do if Trump follows through with legislation, tell their members to vote Democrat ?

This right here.......says it all. It's time that they learn this fact, they are NOT all-powerful and that they cannot dictate even to the Republican party.

And for the record - La Pierre is a class A d-bag

einsteinboricua

Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:50 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
I'd say the largest deterrent to a tyrannical government is more than enough "need" for you and me. Any U.S. resident should be thankful we have the gun laws we do and should be trying to protect them. Even non-gun owners "need" "assault" rifles too! Unfortunately they've been taught they don't need them, which is exactly what those in power want.

Can I borrow your tin foil hat? I have some steak I made that needs resting.

1. Define tyrannical government. If Trump's presidency has shown us anything is that people are willing to overlook stuff if it's their guy in office. So if we get an even worse version of Trump in the White House with a rabid base like Trump's and openly attempts to subvert democracy (by appointing loyalists to courts and Congress), the 2nd Amendment is not gonna save anyone because:
a) It's a federal crime to shoot at a federal official
b) That person's base will likely roll over because it's their person in office.

2. If you truly believe your government is tyrannical, it likely means you have no trust in the Constitution and its checks on power. But then again, with a House and Senate that were glad to turn a blind-eye to various infractions during Trump's first two years (the Emoluments Clause in particular, but also the Hatch Act), it's no wonder why anyone would think a government could turn tyrannical.

3. Also, if you consider the government as tyrannical you can always follow Trump's advice: if you don't like your country, leave it!

4. I don't need guns or assault rifles for that matter. Despite the many bad apples in the police force, it is THEIR job to defend me from people and to enforce the laws. If I had a gun it's to enact a Castle Doctrine and nothing more. I don't need an assault rifle to enforce order in my house and certainly don't need to parade to the entire county that I own one either.

seb146

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:37 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Brings up the old "Criminals don't obey the law" and "where there's a will, there's a way" phrases.

There are criminals in Europe and Japan and Australia so that goes the way of the "video games did this" thought...

MSPNWA

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:51 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

I'll give up my hat once you give up the sand your head is buried in. I'd love a beach on my place.

You have to be intentionally ignorant to ignore the harsh reality of countries such as China. Do you think it's wise to open doors like that for the mere potential of an infinitesimally smaller chance of being hurt, a potential that may actually be reversed and increase your chances of being hurt? Is potentially making life more dangerous also worth giving up freedom? Talk about a tin foil hat! That's absurd!

What I find sad is that tens of thousands of Americans have risked it all for the freedoms we enjoy, and now in this modern age people are willing to give that freedom up because of an irrational fear. Talk about marching orders! Time to look hard in the mirror. Or maybe look at a flag and think about who gave it all for it.

Tugger

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:16 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
You have to be intentionally ignorant to ignore the harsh reality of countries such as China. Do you think it's wise to open doors like that for the mere potential of an infinitesimally smaller chance of being hurt, a potential that may actually be reversed and increase your chances of being hurt? Is potentially making life more dangerous also worth giving up freedom? Talk about a tin foil hat! That's absurd!

What I find sad is that tens of thousands of Americans have risked it all for the freedoms we enjoy, and now in this modern age people are willing to give that freedom up because of an irrational fear. Talk about marching orders! Time to look hard in the mirror. Or maybe look at a flag and think about who gave it all for it.

That sounds tin-foily alright.

The Constitution is in place, we have a representative democracy, we have checks and balances on each branch of the government... and you are comparing our situation to China's.... talk about infinitesimal....

Which is a smaller chance? That you will be killed by a gun or that the USA will become China, the USA losing every single bit of its structure? (It's OK, I know the fear of not getting the gun you "want" will be far more important mean that the USA is gone if a want isn't fulfilled.)

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Aaron747

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:28 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

I'll give up my hat once you give up the sand your head is buried in. I'd love a beach on my place.

‘Feelz’ about guns do not change the reality - after the Heller case, it was clearly established that regulation has a role in 2nd amendment considerations. So let’s play the “answer a question from a federal or SCOTUS justice” game.

Since you argue we are guarding against burgeoning tyranny, that begs this question in court:

‘by what armed mechanism can you identify federal actions currently exercised as instruments of a purported tyrannical state?’

scbriml

Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:16 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
Any U.S. resident should be thankful we have the gun laws we do and should be trying to protect them.

Yeah, right.

Ask the families of the El Paso victims or the parents of the Sandy Hook kids. They're so thankful.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

alfa164

Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:55 am

MSPNWA wrote:
I'd say the largest deterrent to a tyrannical government is more than enough "need" for you and me.

Wrong. The largest deterrent to a tyrannical government is our right to vote. The only people who "need" assault-style weapons are ammosexual weaklings who thing a large gun can compensate for a small penis.

scbriml wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:
Any U.S. resident should be thankful we have the gun laws we do and should be trying to protect them.

Yeah, right. Ask the families of the El Paso victims or the parents of the Sandy Hook kids. They're so thankful.

:checkmark: Or Pittsburg... or Parkland... Sutherland Springs...

Until some people in Washington grow a pair, the list will go on.

bennett123

Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:51 pm

Tigger

Why are Machine Guns excluded?.

seb146

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:22 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Ask the families of the El Paso victims or the parents of the Sandy Hook kids. They're so thankful.

So now you are somber and serious? You were making jokes about "Mass shooters" on the other thread.
scbriml wrote:
Mass shooters there get bored trying to find people to shoot! :lol:

Somehow I think you love it when one of these horrible tragedies happens so you can try to make it fit into your political narrative and have a good laugh. Disgusting.

Mike Drop

All Lives Matter, right Mike? We have to think of and protect the children, right Mike?

We know EXACTLY what causes mass shootings. But NRA and Moscow Mitch refuse to take any action other than wondering how this could have happened again. Meanwhile we have the occupant of the White House and his chain migration third wife grinning like idiots over a baby who is homeless. Talk about disgusting.

bennett123

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:25 pm

More thoughts and prayers until next time.

MikeDrop

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:32 pm

seb146 wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:
scbriml wrote:

So now you are somber and serious? You were making jokes about "Mass shooters" on the other thread.
scbriml wrote:
Mass shooters there get bored trying to find people to shoot! :lol:

Somehow I think you love it when one of these horrible tragedies happens so you can try to make it fit into your political narrative and have a good laugh. Disgusting.

Mike Drop

All Lives Matter, right Mike? We have to think of and protect the children, right Mike?

We know EXACTLY what causes mass shootings. But NRA and Moscow Mitch refuse to take any action other than wondering how this could have happened again. Meanwhile we have the occupant of the White House and his chain migration third wife grinning like idiots over a baby who is homeless. Talk about disgusting.

Well, you certainly seem to think that you know what you are talking about, but whatever point you are trying to make was lost in the insults and political diatribe attempting to tie this to Trump and Russia. Which is totally over the top ridiculous. But being over the top ridiculous never a seems to be a problem with the anti-Trump crowd.

But back to the subject of this thread. Many posters here, including you, repeat the mantra of “thoughts and prayers” every time one of these tragedies happen. It makes you feel good because it allows you to make fun of religious types who actually believe in prayer and that offends you. Basically this response adds up to being a pathetic joke.

My new mantra for you anti-religious types who don’t believe in the US constitution is this - Jokes and Agendas. Because that is all you have to offer. Jokes and Agendas.

Have a wonderfull day!

Mike Drop

seb146

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:36 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
seb146 wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:

Mike Drop

Well, you certainly seem to think that you know what you are talking about, but whatever point you are trying to make was lost in the insults and political diatribe attempting to tie this to Trump and Russia. Which is totally over the top ridiculous. But being over the top ridiculous never a seems to be a problem with the anti-Trump crowd.

But back to the subject of this thread. Many posters here, including you, repeat the mantra of “thoughts and prayers” every time one of these tragedies happen. It makes you feel good because it allows you to make fun of religious types who actually believe in prayer and that offends you. Basically this response adds up to being a pathetic joke.

My new mantra for you anti-religious types who don’t believe in the US constitution is this - Jokes and Agendas. Because that is all you have to offer. Jokes and Agendas.

Have a wonderfull day!

Mike Drop

The current administration have done zero to help lessen or prevent mass shootings. That is a fact.

Thoughts and prayers are the only thing we are allowed to do to stop mass murders.

And, yes, it is a joke because the only thing Republicans do is throw up their hands and tell us it is weed, video games, abortion, and gays that cause mass shootings. It is a huge joke to the Republican party.

All Lives Matter but the lives of gun owners matter most of all.

Truth and facts hurt. And, in these cases, are deadly.

MikeDrop

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:47 pm

seb146 wrote:
And, yes, it is a joke because the only thing Republicans do is throw up their hands and tell us it is weed, video games, abortion, and gays that cause mass shootings. It is a huge joke to the Republican Party.

Perfect example of Jokes and Agendas. You must have dug pretty deep into the whacked out deep web to find some nut job who blames gays,and abortion, or weed for mass shootings. As to video games I’m sure you can find people saying they are concerned that violent video games are a problem. I don’t believe that it is the main contributor, but I do see them as a problem in our society - certainly worth discussing. But you want to ridicule any real discussion in order to support your agenda.

Your agenda is to try to cast the vast majority of Republicans as somehow believing the “the gays” are responsible for mass shootings. Which, as much of what you post, is over the top ridiculous.

Jokes and Agendas Seb, just Jokes and Agendas.

Mike Drop

stratosphere

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:55 pm

seb146 wrote:
LittleSprocket wrote:
LH658 wrote:

LittleSprocket wrote:
I promise you you will never get rid of “assault rifles” in this country. You can’t even get rid of them in leftists states like California or New York and for good reason.

And that reason is that people can simply go to the next state to buy hand held WMDs. The Gilroy right wing domestic terrorist did. Chicago is in Illinois, so people simply leave Chicago to get whatever weapon they want.

Until NRA and Republicans understand and accept the first four words of the Second Amendment, nothing will change.

Maybe not a license to vote but certainly a picture ID I have to have one to vote in MS it should be required everywhere. But back to topic I was watching CNN something I don't do often and Anderson Cooper had a show on survivors of mass shootings. He was interviewing the elderly parents of a young girl killed in the Aurora CO shooting it was really heartbreaking to watch. They tried suing the theater the shooting took place in and lost and they were required to pay damages of over 200k so they had to file bankruptcy. They sold their house and travel around the country in a trailer to other sites of mass shootings to comfort victims families. I am a gun owner and I understand the slippery slope people are afraid of if we get into passing laws with more restrictions. But I think it is really time we need a multi pronged approach we need to tighten up background checks and hell even if they required licenses I would be fine with that. Close the loopholes in the gun shows and it would be hard to enforce probably but person to person sales requiring a check would be fine with me. Also red flag laws and cracking down on social media might be needed too. I figure yes we might be giving up some expansion of our freedoms but then again we are already giving up freedoms hell you cant even walk in times square without a car backfire sending people into a panic. After watching that show it really brings home how a lot of peoples lives are changed forever and not in a good way. I am ready to give up some things to keep this from happening again.

seb146

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:32 pm

stratosphere wrote:
seb146 wrote:
LittleSprocket wrote:

LittleSprocket wrote:

Maybe not a license to vote but certainly a picture ID I have to have one to vote in MS it should be required everywhere. But back to topic I was watching CNN something I don't do often and Anderson Cooper had a show on survivors of mass shootings. He was interviewing the elderly parents of a young girl killed in the Aurora CO shooting it was really heartbreaking to watch. They tried suing the theater the shooting took place in and lost and they were required to pay damages of over 200k so they had to file bankruptcy. They sold their house and travel around the country in a trailer to other sites of mass shootings to comfort victims families. I am a gun owner and I understand the slippery slope people are afraid of if we get into passing laws with more restrictions. But I think it is really time we need a multi pronged approach we need to tighten up background checks and hell even if they required licenses I would be fine with that. Close the loopholes in the gun shows and it would be hard to enforce probably but person to person sales requiring a check would be fine with me. Also red flag laws and cracking down on social media might be needed too. I figure yes we might be giving up some expansion of our freedoms but then again we are already giving up freedoms hell you cant even walk in times square without a car backfire sending people into a panic. After watching that show it really brings home how a lot of peoples lives are changed forever and not in a good way. I am ready to give up some things to keep this from happening again.

Selling a cake to a gay couple compromises religious freedom. So, selling a high capacity weapon involved in a mass shooting should bring up accessory to murder charges.

I wanted a "feel good" moment, so I watched the video for YMCA by Village People. It was filmed on the streets of New York and I thought it would be a hoot to see if those places still exist. Yes, the YMCA shown in the video does still exist but Ramrod Bar does not. I did some research and it turns out there was a shooting there shortly after Reagan was elected. November 1980, they called it "The Ramrod Massacre" because so many people were shot. Two were killed. Because of political violence. Why was the body count so low there but so high at Pulse in Orlando? Think about it.

Concierge

Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:01 pm

seb146 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

The main reason that Chicago gun laws don't work is proximity to Indiana. Yep, I'm a Hoosier.

alfa164

Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:16 pm

stratosphere wrote:
seb146 wrote:
LittleSprocket wrote:

LittleSprocket wrote:
And that reason is that people can simply go to the next state to buy hand held WMDs. The Gilroy right wing domestic terrorist did. Chicago is in Illinois, so people simply leave Chicago to get whatever weapon they want. Until NRA and Republicans understand and accept the first four words of the Second Amendment, nothing will change. All Lives Matter but guns matter more.

:checkmark: Thank you for a sane and reasoned response. It seems that, whenever these subjects come up, the crazed gun fanatics (or NRA trolls... who knows?) pounce on anybody who makes any suggestion that would lead to a solution. In the meantime, too many politicians freeze into their predetermined positions, unwilling to consider the legislation that, if effected, could put all of us into a safer state.

It is time to have a rational debate about what type of weapons should be easily available to everyone, and how much capacity to kill should be street-legal. It is also time to discuss how universal background checks might prevent some of the "bad guys" from getting those weapons. Unfortunately, whenever these suggestions are made, someone whines about their "rights" being taken away - ignoring completely, of course, the rights of all of us to be safe from mass shootings - and the NRA "reminds" the representatives it has bought (there is no better term; the NRA bought them). of who they owe their alliance to.

The unfortunate result is a cycle that never changes. Despite the politicians' claims, it is not "too early" to talk about gun legislation.. Indeed, as each mass shooting proves, it is rapidly becoming too late.

stratclub

Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:37 pm

seb146 wrote:

The NRA edited out those 4 words at the behest of gun manufacturers and other special interest groups by lobbying Congress completely changing the intent of the 2nd Amendment.

This guy understands the 2nd Amendment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eya_k4P-iEo

seb146

Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:33 pm

Concierge wrote:
seb146 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

The main reason that Chicago gun laws don't work is proximity to Indiana. Yep, I'm a Hoosier.

I thought the problem with Chicago's gun laws are the proximity to Illinois.

seb146

Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:34 pm

One thing that would help is listing specifically what is and is not a semi or fully automatic weapon. Every time there is a mass shooting, we who want these mass shootings to stop, do our research but are still told that we are wrong and we don't know what we are talking about.

trpmb6

Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:47 pm

seb146 wrote:
One thing that would help is listing specifically what is and is not a semi or fully automatic weapon. Every time there is a mass shooting, we who want these mass shootings to stop, do our research but are still told that we are wrong and we don't know what we are talking about.

Every hand gun in existence is semi-automatic. Revolvers are not. Most hunting rifles are either lever action or bolt action. But there are many kinds of hunting rifles that are semiautomatic. AR-15s and its cousin the AR-10 are semi-automatic.

Automatic weapons are tightly regulated by ATF. Costs quite a bit to get the stamp for them and you mainly on see them at novelty places like in vegas where they take you out into the desert on a controlled range and you pay an exorbitant amount of money for 30 seconds of happiness. (But that's just a vegas thing in general.)

Put simply, if someone claims an automatic weapon was used, 99% chance they are wrong.

DiamondFlyer

Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:52 pm

Concierge wrote:
seb146 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Then you're a dumb one at that. I'm a Hoosier too, and there's nothing Indiana does to allow for shootings to happen in Chicago. Almost every murder in Chicago is with a handgun. Handguns can only legally be purchased in the state you reside in. So it's already illegal for an Illinois resident to come to Indiana to buy a handgun. People who do illegal things aren't going to be stopped by another unenforceable law.

If liberals cared so much about gun violence, they'd stop going after an "Assault Weapon Ban," and start going after handguns. 96% of gun violence is with handguns. But liberals don't care about black on black crime, they just care about what gets airtime on the evening news and the 24/7 news cycle.
From my cold, dead hands

Concierge

Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:34 am

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Concierge wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Then you're a dumb one at that. I'm a Hoosier too, and there's nothing Indiana does to allow for shootings to happen in Chicago. Almost every murder in Chicago is with a handgun. Handguns can only legally be purchased in the state you reside in. So it's already illegal for an Illinois resident to come to Indiana to buy a handgun. People who do illegal things aren't going to be stopped by another unenforceable law.

If liberals cared so much about gun violence, they'd stop going after an "Assault Weapon Ban," and start going after handguns. 96% of gun violence is with handguns. But liberals don't care about black on black crime, they just care about what gets airtime on the evening news and the 24/7 news cycle.

Well aren't you special! Start with an insult, then make a statement of opinion that can't be proven or disproven.

You could look up the source of handguns used in crimes in....never mind, you know better.

And you can read the minds of 'liberals'. How exciting for you!

I concede to your superior knowledge and apparent mind-reading skills.

DiamondFlyer

Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:09 am

Concierge wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
Concierge wrote:

Well aren't you special! Start with an insult, then make a statement of opinion that can't be proven or disproven.

You could look up the source of handguns used in crimes in....never mind, you know better.

So your proposal is to add another law, when the criminals already don't follow the law? Stupid is as stupid does. I'm open to common sense talks, if we would start by, say enforcing the laws on the books...
From my cold, dead hands

seb146

Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:44 am

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Concierge wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

So your proposal is to add another law, when the criminals already don't follow the law? Stupid is as stupid does. I'm open to common sense talks, if we would start by, say enforcing the laws on the books...

Military weapons should not be in private citizen's hands. Also, each state should stop selling guns to people from out of state. If the problem of Chicago gun violence is people going to Indiana to buy guns, gun dealers in Indiana should deny sales to those from Illinois. Still does not help that people can leave Chicago to, say, Aurora or Joliet to buy a gun.