TheGov
Topic Author

Career change - how old?

Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:21 am

Is there any certain age that is considered too old for a career change? Let's not include returning to a job that you had earlier in life that you've been away from for years, but a complete change of your career. So, what do you consider too old?
Always a pallbearer, never a corpse.

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Career change - how old?

Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:27 am

Your 50s are generally your peak earning years, when you’ve paid the house and kid’s are gone—you need to be saving intensely for retirement. Middle age crazy, career changes are not conducive to settled retirement, and that’s provided you didn’t get divorced, lose the house and be estranged from the kids.

GF

einsteinboricua

Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:43 am

I think that, assuming you move to a similar paying field and don't rack up too much debt in the process, it's never too late to do it. Granted, the older you are, the tougher it'll be. A 50 yr old professional will be in better shape (mentally, physically, and maybe economically) than, say a 70 yr old.

I'm about to hit my 30s and I have contemplated switching gears to something else. The question is whether the loss of a paycheck and a downgrading to living extremely within means is what I want to do.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:31 am

I know someone in his mid 30s who had a change of career from being a radio DJ to become a pilot.

He's now a captain for AirAsia.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

stl07

Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:53 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
I know someone in his mid 30s who had a change of career from being a radio DJ to become a pilot.

He's now a captain for AirAsia.

I bed his planes have great boarding music
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

Dutchy

Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:29 am

TheGov wrote:
Is there any certain age that is considered too old for a career change? Let's not include returning to a job that you had earlier in life that you've been away from for years, but a complete change of your career. So, what do you consider too old?

Better do something which fits you and enjoys yourself than go on doing something that you know in your heart is wrong for you. For many jobs many of the processes are the same, so most probably you can take the experience with you and not all is lost. An exception is a profession you need professional training/skill for, a doctor, a pilot etc. for the higher-earning jobs. It might also depend on whether you would choose a profession which is in high demand or not.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Aesma

Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:31 pm

The other day I saw a couple on TV, they just hit retirement age (probably 60-62) and were selling their home and packing to open a cookie shop or something like that in Japan. I must say I found the idea a bit crazy. At least they have their French pension to fall back to.

It's quite common it seems for people with a good diploma and good career working in an office to quit in their 30s and start making cheese or wine in the country, at least in France. It's even causing issues with people who wanted to do such jobs from the start, but don't have the same capital to start their company.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

casinterest

Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:40 pm

I think you can switch careers if you are dedicated to it and then you can make a go at it at any age.
I personally plan to be a beach comber when i hit 65 .:)

But seriously, I have met salespeople that became winemakers. I had a coworker that went to do retirement finance.
I know people that have created their own companies in their 50's.

So much to do. Just enjoy it.
Where ever you go, there you are.

EstherLouise

Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:46 pm

I've known a couple of people who changed careers in their mid-50's. They became nurses. There is no age discrimination in nursing.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

trpmb6

Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:49 pm

I think once you are in your 30s its too late. Unless you're going to drastically improve your financial position with minimal schooling (or can do schooling while working). Once you're in your 30s you're 10ish years into your career. That's when you're finally recognized as having experience. I know people who switched careers in their early 30s and you find they are basically resetting their starting salary. Great if you're resetting to something higher. But unlikely.

Of course that's just the financial aspect. If you're comfortable financially and want to do something that is of more interest to you... Then asking strangers on a forum isn't going to change your mind away from that.

seb146

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:17 pm

I have found there is no set age to change careers anymore. So many unwritten rules have gone out the window over the past couple of decades. If you want to be a lawyer at 50, do it. If you want to be a truck driver to supplement your retirement, do it. The only thing that matters to me is how much does a career change cost up front? I can find a lot of income but it is education that costs.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

winginit

Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:16 pm

TheGov wrote:

Too many variables that are operative information. For example, it's common for big firm lawyers or management consultants to pivot to a job (at times a lower paying job) later in life (40s, 50s) in order to establish better work/life balance. That's often considered a wise and even healthy pivot.

Granted, someone who, for example, goes from having worked up the ladder to six figures and is considering going back to the bottom of that ladder as a pilot would be considered most unwise unless your finances were in very good order.

vikkyvik

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:46 pm

TheGov wrote:
So, what do you consider too old?

When you're dead. At that point, it might be difficult.

Before that, it's simply up to each individual (presumably with consideration of their mental and physical shape, finances, family, etc.). But if you can swing it, and want to do it, then go for it.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

bhill

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:22 pm

Well...depends on the next recession..;-) I would think ANY age if you are up to it, but to be fair to any employer, how much time can you realistically offer? I plan to pursue a photography income after I "retire," and I think many folk turn their hobby they never had time for into $$. I cannot imagine sitting on my butt doing nothing in my last years,
Carpe Pices

KFLLCFII

Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:01 pm

If you stay unmarried and childless, it's much easier to weather a career-changing storm at any working age.

Bonus points (toward savings and retirement goals :wink2: ) if you also don't bother with the wasted expenses of dating. :bigthumbsup:
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."