JJJ

Re: Oil industry after transport sector go electric

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:41 pm

mham001 wrote:
JJJ wrote:
mham001 wrote:

The problem so far has been that they cannot produce a car as advanced. Batteries are weaker and the software stinks. The products offered so far are 10 years behind technologically and I think they will have a very hard time competing with Silicon Valley in both aspects.

Tesla is now finding out the hard way that maybe they were a bit too daring with their battery settings (rather than "weak", Tesla doesn't even make their own batteries, they buy them from Panasonic).

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... -some-cars

So Tesla had quite a few high-profile fires and stealthily cuts battery (useable) capacity and charging speed for "security" and "longevity" reasons.

Is Tesla battery tech really better (again, their batteries are bought off the shelf from Panasonic) or they're just treading a fine line between performance and safety?

A lot of disinformation there, Panasonic manufactures the battery for Tesla using Tesla's specifications. They are not "off the shelf" products and are widely considered the highest power/density of any battery manufactured. Even that relationship is showing signs of changing, indications are that Tesla is about to introduce a much cheaper and cleaner manufacturing process.

Teslas model S and X use NCR18650B Li-ion batteries, which you can buy on any decent battery provider, that are manufactured in Japan and that have hundreds of applications in different appliances.

The model 3 uses another size from Panasonic, the 2170 which so far Panasonic only sells to Tesla, but that has also agreed to be supplied to Toyota. Samsung, LG, etc. also have that size/chemistry.

Tesla only makes the slings and cooling system, but the battery proper is Panasonic (and it seems Tesla is shopping around for different suppliers for the Chinese factory).

mham001

Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:12 pm

JJJ wrote:

Teslas model S and X use NCR18650B Li-ion batteries, which you can buy on any decent battery provider, that are manufactured in Japan and that have hundreds of applications in different appliances.

The model 3 uses another size from Panasonic, the 2170 which so far Panasonic only sells to Tesla, but that has also agreed to be supplied to Toyota. Samsung, LG, etc. also have that size/chemistry.

Tesla only makes the slings and cooling system, but the battery proper is Panasonic (and it seems Tesla is shopping around for different suppliers for the Chinese factory).

Mach nicht. Means nothing. Power and density are (mostly) derived from the materials within, not the the size. Panasonic is using Tesla's proprietary mix in Tesla batteries - derived from Tesla's research. They have employed a world-leading battery expert and team for years in Halifax as well as their own lab. In addition to the battery composition, software management is another key factor and nobody is even close to matching that, nor will they have the experience and data that Tesla has already collected from 10 years and many millions of miles of service. Meanwhile, advances are routinely worked in - for example, the decision to change the size in the Model 3 which leads to a smaller pack (and others are now copying), or just last month with the 'Raven" power-train for the Model S and X.

That Tesla is shopping in China only reiterates the fact that Tesla owns the secret sauce while Panasonic is there for the manufacturing expertise.
Last edited by mham001 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JJJ

Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:27 pm

mham001 wrote:
JJJ wrote:

Mach nicht. Means nothing. Power and density are (mostly) derived from the materials within, not the the size. Panasonic is using Tesla's proprietary mix in Tesla batteries - derived from Tesla's research. They have employed a world-leading battery expert and team for years in Halifax as well as their own lab. In addition to the battery composition, software management is another key factor and nobody is even close to matching that, nor will they have the experience and data that Tesla has already collected from 10 years and many millions of miles of service. Meanwhile, advances are worked in - for example, just last month with the 'Raven" power-train.

There is no Tesla proprietary mix. The 18560 panasonic cell is off the shelf (and is indeed found in several products).

The 2170 is a repackaging of the same chemistry into a bigger format.

https://insideevs.com/news/342679/tesla ... l-s-p100d/

The raven powertrain is just the model 3 drive unit tacked instead of one of the older Model S or X motors.

And yes, software and cooling are very likely the reason Teslas are exploding and no EV from other manufacturers (except Chinese) are doing the same. And the fact that they're stealthily doing it instead of issuing a recall says very little of their ethics.

M564038

Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:39 pm

Teslas aren’t exploding. If you compare them to dinosaur-cars, they aren’t exploding at all worth mentioning. 1/8!
The other cars works the same, there was an Ioniq going up in flames in a town nearby only yesterday.

They have inginious cooling and battery control, boeing should have picked them up on the offer for the 787 fix.

JJJ wrote:
mham001 wrote:
JJJ wrote:

Mach nicht. Means nothing. Power and density are (mostly) derived from the materials within, not the the size. Panasonic is using Tesla's proprietary mix in Tesla batteries - derived from Tesla's research. They have employed a world-leading battery expert and team for years in Halifax as well as their own lab. In addition to the battery composition, software management is another key factor and nobody is even close to matching that, nor will they have the experience and data that Tesla has already collected from 10 years and many millions of miles of service. Meanwhile, advances are worked in - for example, just last month with the 'Raven" power-train.

There is no Tesla proprietary mix. The 18560 panasonic cell is off the shelf (and is indeed found in several products).

The raven powertrain is just the model 3 drive unit tacked instead of one of the older Model S or X motors.

And yes, software and cooling are very likely the reason Teslas are exploding and no EV from other manufacturers (except Chinese) are doing the same. And the fact that they're stealthily doing it instead of issuing a recall says very little of their ethics.

mham001

Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:45 pm

JJJ wrote:

This is comparing cell density to pack density, very different parameters. The switch to the larger cylinder allowed a smaller and cheaper pack. No other manufacturer is even using cylindrical cells. Tesla innovation.

And for the third time, the cells Tesla is using (in its cars) are not "off the shelf", the recipe is derived from Tesla collaboration for automotive needs. I recommend you read this 4.5 year old article, it is more up to date than what you are claiming...https://chargedevs.com/features/teslas- ... nd-future/

or maybe this recent analysis... "Tesla’s dominance in the growing electric vehicle (EV) industry is largely attributed to its unique approach to its battery technology. " https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-battery ... interview/

As for the future, Tesla recently completed the acquisition of Maxwell Technologies and is hosting a battery show/tell in a few months. Expect to see some good news there.

The Raven powertrain advance in the Model S and X is simply proof that the competition is chasing a moving target that advances faster than the automotive industry is accustomed. While they already have difficulty matching the performance and efficiency of a 2012 Tesla Model S, the 2019 just got even better. Sandy Monro waxes poetic about the design of these new motors, said to improve motor efficiency from 93% to 97%. More Tesla innovation. Nobody is keeping up.

As for the "explosions", actually, yes, others have as well, search your own news but I read they are no more likely to catch fire than a gas car per mile - or ICEs never explode?

You seem hellbent on degrading a highly innovative and industry disrupting company. Everything you've thrown at them comes straight from an oil-heads imagination. Or hope. Are you a short-seller?

stratclub

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:13 pm

What I don't like about the Tesla is all the unnecessary technology packed into them, like having to use the touch screen to open the glove box and the electronic door latches to name two that seem especially ridiculous. But I guess that's what customers want.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:21 pm

I recently did a 580 mile round trip, 11 hours away from home and 10:30 of running time. Can a Tesla do that?

mham001

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:33 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I recently did a 580 mile round trip, 11 hours away from home and 10:30 of running time. Can a Tesla do that?

Try plugging in your route. https://www.tesla.com/trips Maybe, maybe not but you won't be as tired when it's all done. Above all the other arguments for, driving electric is all around a better driving experience. Quieter, no vibrations and decent autopilot on the highway.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:47 pm

Are you kidding, it was in a Mercedes and I don’t need an autopilot, I drive and pay attention.

M564038

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:54 pm

What was the route? 580 km and 12 hours is 933 km, and well within Bjørn Nylands results in his real life 1000km/10hour challenge on ordinary nordic roads with the T3.
https://youtu.be/_04rk3lIFcM

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Are you kidding, it was in a Mercedes and I don’t need an autopilot, I drive and pay attention.

winginit

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:38 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

So, said differently, you spent 11 hours getting from point A to point B doing virtually nothing else but... driving, and paying attention.

What a colossal waste of what I presume is your valuable time.

In a Tesla with full autopilot you could spend that time getting work done. The joke is, in this case, on you. My commute averages about an hour each way, and for nearly 45 minutes of that each way I don't need to touch the steering wheel or even look at the road in my Model S. By the time I reach my destination in the morning I've cleared out my inbox and have a head-start on the day.

Can a mercedes do that? Didn't think so.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:58 am

winginit wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

So, said differently, you spent 11 hours getting from point A to point B doing virtually nothing else but... driving, and paying attention.

In a Tesla with full autopilot you could spend that time getting work done. The joke is, in this case, on you. My commute averages about an hour each way, and for nearly 45 minutes of that each way I don't need to touch the steering wheel or even look at the road in my Model S. By the time I reach my destination in the morning I've cleared out my inbox and have a head-start on the day.

You should lose your license. We’ll be reading about you in the headlines of the next idiot in a Tesla crash. Do you really drive not paying attention to the road? We didn’t do that in an airplane.

Frankly, I enjoy driving and cars.

GF

winginit

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:06 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
winginit wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

You should lose your license. We’ll be reading about you in the headlines of the next idiot in a Tesla crash. Do you really drive not paying attention to the road? We didn’t do that in an airplane.

Frankly, I enjoy driving and cars.

GF

You won't though, and I genuinely do spend a majority of my commute not even looking at the road - I don't have to given the circumstances that aren't dissimilar from an average road trip. It's one highway, generally one lane, and a system that has already proven to me time and time again to have superior data and response times when compared to me as a human driver - the car even has little games that you can play on the screen while autopilot is engaged. We're still ways a way from having conclusive data, but early cuts are showing that auto-pilot is safer than not having it engaged. Do you speed? That's unsafe - autopilot doesn't. Do you at times drive erratically? That's unsafe - autopilot doesn't. So I wouldn't count my chickens in thinking you know which of us might get in an accident sooner. The automation is already winning, and it always eventually does.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:16 am

I don’t even think Tesla recommends diverting your attention from the road. You're experience with the system is far too limited to draw accurate conclusions as has already been proven. You’re a menace.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2019/08/12/another-tesla-crashed-into-truck-autopilot-reportedly-active/1984644001/

GF

JJJ

Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:17 am

mham001 wrote:
JJJ wrote:

This is comparing cell density to pack density, very different parameters. The switch to the larger cylinder allowed a smaller and cheaper pack. No other manufacturer is even using cylindrical cells. Tesla innovation.

And for the third time, the cells Tesla is using (in its cars) are not "off the shelf", the recipe is derived from Tesla collaboration for automotive needs. I recommend you read this 4.5 year old article, it is more up to date than what you are claiming...https://chargedevs.com/features/teslas- ... nd-future/

or maybe this recent analysis... "Tesla’s dominance in the growing electric vehicle (EV) industry is largely attributed to its unique approach to its battery technology. " https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-battery ... interview/

This is the battery that goes into a Tesla model S and X.

https://batterybro.com/products/panason ... 00mah-4-8a

It's 100% off the shelf (and indeed was used before, and has been used after the model S). If any Tesla exec says the contrary they're talking BS to uneducated public.

And it's a smart move (like many other things Tesla has done), Nissan used to make the batteries in-house to develop the Leaf and eventually sold the unit to a Chinese company. Doing everything in-house in the automotive sector is a weakness, not a strength. You can't compare with the likes of LG, Sony, Panasonic, etc. on battery tech.

As for the future, Tesla recently completed the acquisition of Maxwell Technologies and is hosting a battery show/tell in a few months. Expect to see some good news there.

Perennial penny stock bought with more stock? I'll bring the popcorn on this one.

The Raven powertrain advance in the Model S and X is simply proof that the competition is chasing a moving target that advances faster than the automotive industry is accustomed.

Because no manufacturer ever bring engines from one model to different models. Sure.

As for the "explosions", actually, yes, others have as well, search your own news but I read they are no more likely to catch fire than a gas car per mile - or ICEs never explode?

I'm not talking about ICE vehicles, I'm talking about other EVs.

Why Tesla Batteries Catch Fires, but Bolt and Volt Batteries Don't
https://www.torquenews.com/1/why-tesla- ... eries-dont

You seem hellbent on degrading a highly innovative and industry disrupting company. Everything you've thrown at them comes straight from an oil-heads imagination. Or hope. Are you a short-seller?

If by degrading you mean dispelling corporate BS, I guess yes. I was in the market for a Tesla and did my research, including by my neighbor then-owner of a Model S. In the end an electric car didn't fit my wife's need for transportation, but many books will be written about Tesla when the whole thing crashes down along with many small investor money.

M564038

Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:57 am

They won’t be crashing down. They currently make the best car ever made by a wide margin. The potential customer base is limitless. In addition, they are a technology company that posses autonomy-technology that is far ahead of anything else.

Spend some time driving the 3, and compare it to the best of what the traditional car companies can offer: e-tron, i-pace etc.
Then you can maybe start grasping how far ahead they are.

JJJ

Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:17 am

M564038 wrote:
They won’t be crashing down. They currently make the best car ever made by a wide margin. The potential customer base is limitless. In addition, they are a technology company that posses autonomy-technology that is far ahead of anything else.

Their self-driving is bottom of the pack. They are the only ones who offer it on a production series car though, because other companies worry about such silly things as "safety".

The potential customer base is limitless, but apparently they don't have enough money. Musk dixit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dn54x7-tws

Make of that what you will.

olle
Topic Author

Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:31 am

A lot of talk of batteries.

While we have a lot of airplane fanatics :-) in this forum, I would like to compare with airplanes engines. When a engine gets 10% more efficient the current plane model become an er, xlr version and an extended length version is soon offered offering the same distance as the original version.

Batteries will be of interest the next 10 years. After that most highways will offer power in the road for cars and over the road for heavy vehicles. Charge will be per kilometer.

This means that a car or heavy vehicle will never have battery for more then 3-5 hours drive. That will take to much space, weight etc. With the charge per kilometer the business case for upgrading the roads will be direct and fast implemented.

olle
Topic Author

Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:53 am

To come back to the original business case,

1 electrical power in major car producing countries inbEU has been going down dramatically with the integration of powergrids of Scandinavia and dramatic increase of wind power.

2 political Risk, EU see a political risk of russia and ME. Usa do not have the political risk with local production the next generation. Special Germany saw importance of EU being export market for Russia, but with the current political situation in Russia and the souer relationships with EU, EU and also now Germany and Scandinavia seems to givn up and vote with the feet.

3 climate. We have too short time to do something and faster then we think. What we start now to implement will be implented fully 2040.

4 business case. In Europe with gasiline and diesel around 1.3 euros, going electrical means 80% saving plus savings from the vehicle maintains going down. autonom and platooning will increase usage hours per day for a commercial vehicle and decrease salary cost. Savings from 2025-2030 around 50% and around 2040 up to 70% of total usage cost of commercial vehicle.

M564038

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:20 pm

That is a big LOL. Do you even believe that yourself?
I am getting so tired of Tesla-shorters,
You need to actually compare these cars from the different manufacturers, it is a very humbling experience for anyone that thinks Tesla will come tumbling down once the others go fully electric.
No one is close.

JJJ wrote:
M564038 wrote:

Their self-driving is bottom of the pack. They are the only ones who offer it on a production series car though, because other companies worry about such silly things as "safety".

The potential customer base is limitless, but apparently they don't have enough money. Musk dixit.

olle
Topic Author

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:23 pm

M564038 wrote:
You need to actually compare these cars from the different manufacturers, it is a very humbling experience for anyone that thinks Tesla will come tumbling down once the others go fully electric.
No one is close.

JJJ wrote:
M564038 wrote:

If Tesla has a total unique knowledge, secrets and patents that a big team of battery experts cannot recreate, make better or finding other methods that do not violates the patents Tesla sits on a goldmine as patents owners. The other major manufactorers will pay for the knowledge like happens in telecom, airline industry and everywhere else.

Organisations like vw sits on a huge advantage because any invetments can be divided over around 10000000 vehicles per year and during 3-5 years time. This is magic in vehicle industry. Taxi in Amsterdam was mentioned. I talked with a taxi owner last year and he said that the car is great but general quality of the car is low. In order for Tesla to compete with VW, PSA, Toyota, Ford etc 2023 it need to increase quality in level to similar priced cars with equal battery quality. In 2027 - 2030 when highway supply and charge batteries 10 hours batteries will be of less importance special if the car for examples has sun panels that can help charge the car in nonpopulated or heat the batteries in cold conditions.

JJJ

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:24 pm

M564038 wrote:
No one is close.

Tesla can sell the best electric car in the world and still fail, because they spend more than they make doing them.

StarAC17

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:57 pm

olle wrote:
I am working at a major producer of trucks.

I see that in less then a generation transport sector will go electric.

What will happen with oilsector industry, what will be the economical effect both for oil importing countries such as central Europe and exporters as me, norway, usa etc?

Will countries use as much reserve currency?

How much of world trade will dissapear?

There will be a place for oil and gas for many years to come, even if it isn't used in transportation it is still used in manufacturing of plastics, computer technology and other uses. I don't think it going anywhere in terms of aviation and trans-oceanic shipping for many decades

The oil and gas industry (actually the energy) will have to learn to evolve with the times or they will cease to exist and the general public will say good riddance to them in the bat of an eye. Perhaps the taxpayer will save a lot of money on subsidizing the oil and gas industry and that $40 billion a year will be put to a more constructive use like infrastructure.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

olle
Topic Author

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:30 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
olle wrote:
I am working at a major producer of trucks.

I see that in less then a generation transport sector will go electric.

What will happen with oilsector industry, what will be the economical effect both for oil importing countries such as central Europe and exporters as me, norway, usa etc?

Will countries use as much reserve currency?

How much of world trade will dissapear?

There will be a place for oil and gas for many years to come, even if it isn't used in transportation it is still used in manufacturing of plastics, computer technology and other uses. I don't think it going anywhere in terms of aviation and trans-oceanic shipping for many decades

The oil and gas industry (actually the energy) will have to learn to evolve with the times or they will cease to exist and the general public will say good riddance to them in the bat of an eye. Perhaps the taxpayer will save a lot of money on subsidizing the oil and gas industry and that $40 billion a year will be put to a more constructive use like infrastructure.

I totally agree...