Revelation
Topic Author

I just blocked George Takei on Twitter...

Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:07 pm

... not because he's wrong, but because he's right, and that's more upsetting than if he was wrong.

I hate Twitter's fairly recent switch to the "(person you follow) also follows (person you don't follow) so we're going to show you that person's tweets too" policy.

I googled, and there's no way to turn that policy off.

I want Twitter to be a politics free zone, yet someone whose music or athletics I admire in turn follows someone who posts about politics, and then I have no choice but to block politicos, even if I agree with their politics, and in some cases even when I strongly agree with their politics to the point their posts make me depressed about politics.

It seems Twitter has had a great surge because it's Drumph's favorite way to drop turd bombs on the world so they're riding that wave, but IMO their current policies will help lead to their downfall.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

TWA772LR

Re: I just blocked George Takei on Twitter...

Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:54 pm

Thats why I logged off of Facebook. I downloaded my photos and videos and logged out. I never saw posts from friends, unless I recently liked one of their posts. All I saw was political crap and a ton of sponsored posts, a lot of which were related to Donald Trump.

I couldnt take it anymore so I said peace. I didnt delete it completely just for the sake of wanting to remain some kind of contact with childhood friends, but im still trying to detox from it and hopefully quit cold turkey.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

T18

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:07 pm

Revelation wrote:
I hate Twitter's fairly recent switch to the "(person you follow) also follows (person you don't follow) so we're going to show you that person's tweets too" policy.

Is that new? I swear anytime I used my podcasts twitter account I would see tons of tweets just due to accounts I follow following some jerk I don't care to see twits from.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

NIKV69

Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:16 pm

I am proud to admit I have been blocked on twitter by Chris Cuomo, Tammy Bruce and the Marlins Man.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die,

stl07

Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:22 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
I am proud to admit I have been blocked on twitter by Chris Cuomo, Tammy Bruce and the Marlins Man.

What's ur twitter if you don't mind me asking (Im curious what one would have to say to be blocked by those people)
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

NIKV69

Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:55 pm

stl07 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

What's ur twitter if you don't mind me asking (Im curious what one would have to say to be blocked by those people)

@nicholasvollaro

I made fun of Tammy Bruce when she was a huge Sarah Palin fan. I said many things to Cuomo and told he Marlin man to stay out of Yankee Stadium.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die,

seat64k

Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:17 am

Revelation wrote:

Are they just showing you the 3rd party's tweets on their own? Or are they showing up because someone you followed either retweeted, replied to or liked the 3rd party's tweet?

Either ways, I hate the effect, for reasons similar to you.

EA CO AS

Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:54 am

I blocked George Takei simply because he has gone from being fun and entertaining to being petty, mean, and perpetually angry.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Revelation
Topic Author

Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:43 pm

T18 wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Is that new? I swear anytime I used my podcasts twitter account I would see tons of tweets just due to accounts I follow following some jerk I don't care to see twits from.

Probably not all that new. In my age group we start losing grasp of relative time :old:

seat64k wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Are they just showing you the 3rd party's tweets on their own? Or are they showing up because someone you followed either retweeted, replied to or liked the 3rd party's tweet?

Definitely the later.

The fact that they have to explain why you're seeing the tweet ( "(person you follow) also follows (person you don't follow) so we're going to show you that person's tweets too" ) shows they know there's a WTF factor at play, but they don't care.

Also, the fact they don't give you an option to turn it off also shows they don't care.

They do give you the option to block posts with a given keyword, i.e. you can block all posts with the word 'Trump' in them, but they don't seem to screen retweets with comments, so I still end up seeing Drumph's posts when someone retweets them.

I just blocked two more politicos this morning, sigh.

They say their algorithms will tune themselves over time and show you more of what you want to see and less of what you don't want to see, but their damn algorithms don't seem to understand a concept as simple as 'no politics!'.

EA CO AS wrote:
I blocked George Takei simply because he has gone from being fun and entertaining to being petty, mean, and perpetually angry.

There's a lot to be angry about.

I just don't want to read about it on Twitter.

aerorobnz

Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:09 pm

I'm glad I never bothered to post or follow on twitter. I have always felt that twitter was just an excuse to legitimize cyber bullying of each other rather than as a serious means of dialog and debate.. The maximum cap in characters just reduces everything to glib quotes, zingers and lacks nuance and depth. The benefits are far outweighed by the negatives, which is one reason why it is in decline as a platform. To make matters worse, Twitter now edits their users content and screens out anything they personally disagree with, making it a terrible echo chamber. The internet can only survive effectively if it is uncensored and free.(in accordance to the rule of law)
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

slider

Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:54 pm

EA CO AS wrote:

Ain't that the truth? He's really vitriolic. I remember his Twitter feed used to have fun stuff but now it's simply really base.

seb146

Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:15 pm

I have him on FB but I do not have Twitter. He posts about 50/50 between cute and political. I am guessing his Twitter is the same? Why are people upset that he has an opinion different than Fox and the right? Is that not allowed? Having a different opinion?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Classa64

Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:28 pm

I always thought Twitter was for Politics, I just go on there to poke at the Flat Earth Fiction Club crowd :smile:
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

Revelation
Topic Author

Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:58 pm

Classa64 wrote:
I always thought Twitter was for Politics, I just go on there to poke at the Flat Earth Fiction Club crowd :smile:

My main use of it is for sports, things pop up in unexpected ways in sports that Twitter is good at capturing.

But as others point out it's pretty much a one way communication medium, featuring broadcasts from people with huge numbers of followers, and very little back flow from the following to the followed.

LittleFokker

Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:36 pm

Eh, I'm not bothered by this phenomenon on Twitter. I find myself portraying two different versions of me between Twitter and Facebook. Facebook is more restrained, protect my image me, and Twitter is more who my inner self yearns to be, to talk shit and let the devil on my shoulder guide me.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

seemyseems

Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:04 am

I’ve never really followed celebrities on Twitter. I tend to use it for looking at funny stuff and complaining at companies hehe
seemyseems in ATL

seat64k

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:17 am

Revelation wrote:
seat64k wrote:

Definitely the later.

The fact that they have to explain why you're seeing the tweet ( "(person you follow) also follows (person you don't follow) so we're going to show you that person's tweets too" ) shows they know there's a WTF factor at play, but they don't care.

That's annoying. I haven't seen it (yet) - might be one of those phased roll-out features where they give it to some random group first, test how it's going, and then unleash it on the reset of us.

Revelation wrote:
Also, the fact they don't give you an option to turn it off also shows they don't care.

Sure they care, they really care that their customers get more views. It's worth remembering this: You are not their customer.