Airstud
Topic Author

Smoke detector battery thread

Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:35 pm

The intermittent chirping sound of a battery-hungry smoke detector woke me up, so I clambered atop a kitchen stool and fiddled with the tougher-than-need-be battery housing til I got the new battery in there.

Then it chirped again - twice in two minutes - making me think the new battery was maybe too old. I was resigned to go buy a new one but then two minutes later the chirping had most definitely stopped.

Is this because the new battery is SO OLD that it can't even power the chirps? Kinda doubt it cause I think the detectors in my apartment are wired into the building's 'lectric grid as a backup; plus even with the new battery it clearly had the power for those final chirps.

So... Does a smoke detector "reboot" for a couple minutes in order to recognize a new battery, or what?

:boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.

scbriml

Re: Smoke detector battery thread

Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:59 pm

Airstud wrote:
The intermittent chirping sound of a battery-hungry smoke detector woke me up, so I clambered atop a kitchen stool and fiddled with the tougher-than-need-be battery housing til I got the new battery in there.

Then it chirped again - twice in two minutes - making me think the new battery was maybe too old. I was resigned to go buy a new one but then two minutes later the chirping had most definitely stopped.

Is this because the new battery is SO OLD that it can't even power the chirps? Kinda doubt it cause I think the detectors in my apartment are wired into the building's 'lectric grid as a backup; plus even with the new battery it clearly had the power for those final chirps.

So... Does a smoke detector "reboot" for a couple minutes in order to recognize a new battery, or what?

:boggled:

I think it really depends how smart you smoke detector is.

Ours talk to us in a soothing tone (almost like HAL!) "Smoke has been detected in the kitchen..." I'm still working on getting that message changed to "Is your wife cooking again, Steve?" :duck:

https://store.google.com/gb/product/nes ... n?hl=en-GB
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

petertenthije

Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:41 pm

Airstud wrote:
Yes, it needs a few minutes. Mine takes 7 to 10 minutes. It should say how long it takes on the back of the smoke detector.
Attamottamotta!

fr8mech

Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:57 pm

Smoke detectors may or may not chirp a couple of times after the replacement of the battery, depending on manufacturer and/or model. Call it a “power up” test.

By the way, how old is the detector? The NFPA, The USFA, and all sorts of other alphabet type organizations that have an interest (including the AASDMRA (American Association of Smoke Detector Manufacturers and Retailers of America) :D, suggest replacing smoke detectors every 10 years.

Seriously, 10 years. Apparently the detection sensors can degrade over time, reducing sensitivity.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

casinterest

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:01 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Smoke detectors may or may not chirp a couple of times after the replacement of the battery, depending on manufacturer and/or model. Call it a “power up” test.

By the way, how old is the detector? The NFPA, The USFA, and all sorts of other alphabet type organizations that have an interest (including the AASDMRA (American Association of Smoke Detector Manufacturers and Retailers of America) :D, suggest replacing smoke detectors every 10 years.

Seriously, 10 years. Apparently the detection sensors can degrade over time, reducing sensitivity.

Usually you should run the "Reset" then the "test" to make sure all is good on a battery replacement.
Where ever you go, there you are.

TangoandCash

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:35 pm

fr8mech wrote:

That's what an electrical contractor (probably a member of the AASDMRA) told me a couple weeks ago when trolling the house looking for additional work beyond that agreed to.

Based on recent cooking attempt gone wrong, the detectors on mine are still plenty sensitive!

bhill

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:56 pm

Couple of things. The detection chambers in smoke/CO alarms contain radioisotopes that decay over time, 10 years is the rule of thumb. I have discovered that 9V Lithium batteries give FAR better performance/lifespan than any other cell.
Carpe Pices

DIRECTFLT

Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:12 pm

I had to use a Duracell 9v battery for my Smoke Detector to work properly. Vs. an off brand.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling