ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Grand Egyptian Museum

Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:29 am

Do you think that the Grand Egyptian Museum by the Giza Pyramids in Giza, Egypt will help bring a full recovery of American and British tourists to Egypt when it opens next year considering that tourist numbers outside those two countries have pretty much recovered to 2010 levels. Also, do you think that the Grand Egyptian Museum will become one of the world's most iconic structures alongside the Giza Pyramids, Taj Mahal, Great Wall of China, Eiffel Tower, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Sydney Opera House, and Burj Khalifa.

TSS

Re: Grand Egyptian Museum

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:05 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Do you think that the Grand Egyptian Museum by the Giza Pyramids in Giza, Egypt will help bring a full recovery of American and British tourists to Egypt when it opens next year considering that tourist numbers outside those two countries have pretty much recovered to 2010 levels.

I'm not sure. I don't doubt that it will be on the itinerary of people already going to Egypt anyway, but whether it will be a draw for tourists in and of itself remains to be seen.

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Also, do you think that the Grand Egyptian Museum will become one of the world's most iconic structures alongside the Giza Pyramids, Taj Mahal, Great Wall of China, Eiffel Tower, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Sydney Opera House, and Burj Khalifa.

I doubt it. The job of any good museum is to show off the exhibits inside to their best advantage while disappearing silently into the background, and the layout and interior seem to be set up to do that reasonably well, but the exterior seems to be a little too heavily themed. Did the designers think that museum goers might forget they were in Egypt unless they were reminded of their location at least once on every six feet or so of exterior wall?

My main concern is what effect all that natural light pouring in will have on artifacts that have until recently been sitting in total darkness in tombs for the last few thousand years.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Re: Grand Egyptian Museum

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:40 am

I do know that the Grand Egyptian Museum is highly anticipated and poised to become a major tourist attraction.