stratclub
Topic Author

Maine just gave asylum-seekers temporary housing within a few months - frustrating homeless who remain on waiting lists

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:58 am

......................while Maine's homeless have been on waiting lists for years.
"It's a unique situation" apparently according to Dan Brennan, director of the Maine State Housing Authority.
IMHO, the only thing unique about it is that the homeless don't vote and there is a very good chance that illegals grateful for free housing, medical, education, etc will illegally register to vote and illegally vote democrat.

Essentially, Liberal Democrats are buying votes paid for by our tax dollars. It sure explains the push for wide open borders and not asking people their citizenship. https://www.theblaze.com/news/maine-hom ... um-seekers
Last edited by SQ22 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

seb146

Re: Maine Gives Housing To 150 illegal Aliens..............

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:40 am

So we should be angry at people who can pay for housing but give free stuff to drug addicts and people who have proven they can not be trusted.

Do you have a source from a not far right site that says these are illegals? Remember that anchor babies and chain migration is not against the law. See Melania.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

tommy1808

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:49 am

seb146 wrote:
Do you have a source from a not far right site that says these are illegals?.

the headline say "Asylum seekers", which by definition means "legal".

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

TTailedTiger

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:53 am

We need to hire more immigration judges and keep a steady line moving. Get these freeloaders out of here.

Dutchy

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:25 am

stratclub wrote:
will illegally register to vote and illegally vote democrat.

Essentially, Liberal Democrats are buying votes paid for by our tax dollars.

Really? How do you come up with there highly biased bordering conspiracy theories? And why do you post them? Are you hoping on a reaction like a troll furthering your political agenda?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Airstud

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:06 am

tommy1808 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

No, that's not what it means. The fact that one is seeking asylum proves that they've not been granted asylum, which means the legality of their presence in this country is questionable.
Pancakes are delicious.

tommy1808

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:10 am

Airstud wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

No, that's not what it means. The fact that one is seeking asylum proves that they've not been granted asylum, which means the legality of their presence in this country is questionable.

Nope, an asylum seeker is legal until the moment his ineligibility for asylum has been determined.

best regards
Thomas

fr8mech

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:13 am

Airstud wrote:

Not quite. An asylum seeker does have some legal status, and is not necessarily an illegal alien.

The problem is, are these people true asylum seekers?

The media, the politicians, the ignorant, uninformed and disingenuous have conflated the terms:

migrant
immigrant
illegal immigrant
illegal alien
asylum seekers

All these people are the same, depending on who is talking.

Words have meaning.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

tommy1808

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:20 am

fr8mech wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Not quite. An asylum seeker does have some legal status, and is not necessarily an illegal alien.

The problem is, are these people true asylum seekers?.

In deed. Figuring that out quicker would be helped a lot by having more judges for it, which would also help the people truly needing asylum, as it would cut down the time of uncertainty.

best regards
Thomas

fr8mech

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:23 am

tommy1808 wrote:
In deed. Figuring that out quicker would be helped a lot by having more judges for it, which would also help the people truly needing asylum, as it would cut down the time of uncertainty.

best regards
Thomas

I don't disagree with you Tommy, but that's not what I meant when I asked the question.

Are these truly asylum seekers, or some other category, and it's simply expedient for the reporter to report them as asylum seekers?
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Airstud

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:07 am

fr8mech wrote:
Airstud wrote:

That's why I said "questionable."
Pancakes are delicious.

Dutchy

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:22 am

Airstud wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
Airstud wrote:

It is a question of timing, at the moment when this shelter is granted, their status is not questionable, they are in the country legally, whether it stays that way is questionable, so in the futher, it might be or might not be.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

zakuivcustom

Re: Maine just gave asylum-seekers temporary housing within a few months - frustrating homeless who remain on waiting li

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:31 pm

Airstud wrote:

There's nothing "questionable" about their status - asylum seekers are granted a temporary stay and thus, are in the country legally for a determined period of time (i.e. until the date of the asylum decision).

Plus, remember that most people become "illegal" by overstaying their visa, i.e. they enter US legally but simply just stay beyond the amount of time where they can be in the country legally. Same thing for asylum seeker - they're in the country legally until their asylum application is rejected, then they can be legally deport as they have no legal standing to stay in the US.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

einsteinboricua

Re: Maine just gave asylum-seekers temporary housing within a few months - frustrating homeless who remain on waiting li

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:43 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Plus, remember that most people become "illegal" by overstaying their visa, i.e. they enter US legally but simply just stay beyond the amount of time where they can be in the country legally. Same thing for asylum seeker - they're in the country legally until their asylum application is rejected, then they can be legally deport as they have no legal standing to stay in the US.

:shhh: Facts are not something conservatives concern themselves with. Hence why they want the wall.

Just remember: facts are things with a notorious liberal bias...and when they're inconvenient, they're lies.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

T18

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:45 pm

Am I the only one wondering how much of a problem Maine has with Asylum Seekers coming there? 'How bad has Canada gotten? /s'
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

zakuivcustom

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:36 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Facts are not something conservatives concern themselves with. Hence why they want the wall.

The wall actually is something that divert the attention away from the continuing reduction of LEGAL immigration into US - i.e. H-1B visas that are getting a pain to get, various arguments against "chain immigration" (I've been there myself...the process takes forever as-is; and oh, Melania's parents are very welcomed), making it extremely hard to get asylum (Although one can argue that many were definitely "abusing" this), etc., while you still hear arguments that "But...But...Trump just doesn't like illegal immigrants".

T18 wrote:
Am I the only one wondering how much of a problem Maine has with Asylum Seekers coming there? 'How bad has Canada gotten? /s'

Maybe it's to hold all the Americans that failed to seek asylum in Canada? :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck:

seb146

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:38 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Airstud wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Nope, an asylum seeker is legal until the moment his ineligibility for asylum has been determined.

best regards
Thomas

So, what you are saying is that people seeking asylum who happen to be in Maine will not be locked in dog cages and concentration camps? Oh, the horror!

Redd

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:27 pm

seb146 wrote:
So we should be angry at people who can pay for housing but give free stuff to drug addicts and people who have proven they can not be trusted.

Are you suggesting that all homeless people are drug addicts and cannot be trusted?

M564038

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:31 pm

Migration is not to blame for homeless people’s troubles.
Homeless people is not to blame for migration.
Putting weak groups up against each other in some sort of artifical competition for money and resources, is just another classic right wing strategy to put the blame on someone else, conqeour and divide.

stratclub
Topic Author

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:58 pm

M564038 wrote:
Migration is not to blame for homeless people’s troubles.
Homeless people is not to blame for migration.
Putting weak groups up against each other in some sort of artifical competition for money and resources, is just another classic right wing strategy to put the blame on someone else, conqeour and divide.

Huh? Except for the teeny tiny fact that most all of our homeless are U.S. citizens and illegal aliens are in our country illegally and in many cases on the tax payers dime. The "blame" is directly on the shoulders of the Democrats by flooding our country with illegal aliens by legislating loopholes in our immigration laws and subverting existing immigration laws. Sanctuary cities ring a bell?

So how is trying to keep our country safe from being invaded by hordes of illegal aliens from all over the planet some sort of "conquer and divide" conservative strategy?

seb146

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:40 pm

Redd wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Are you suggesting that all homeless people are drug addicts and cannot be trusted?

We are told by certain leaders that Mexicans are rapists and drug dealers. Just using that logic and reason.....

Super80Fan

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:50 pm

I really don't understand how many in this country (the far left and the far right) can't decipher between asylum seekers, immigrants, migrants, illegal immigrants, and illegal aliens.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

zakuivcustom

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:45 pm

stratclub wrote:
Center For Immigration Studies - https://cis.org/Huennekens/Aliens-and-Voter-Fraud
2008 Presidential Election. A 2014 article published in the journal Electoral Studies found that "non-citizen voters likely gave Senate Democrats the pivotal 60th vote needed to overcome filibusters in order to pass health care reform." The report also noted that "there is reason to believe non-citizen voting changed one state's Electoral College votes in 2008, delivering North Carolina to Obama."

I look through this link - there is a HUGE difference between non-citizens and illegal immigrants/aliens. The former can ranged from somebody LEGALLY residing in the US, such as on some visa or holding a Permanent Resident (aka "Green") Card, to people that are in US illegally (Visa overstay, "sneak" across border, etc.). Looking at the list for the NC case, it was NEVER explicitly mentioned that the 18 (or so) people that was charged were actually in US ILLEGALLY.

The other tidbit from that article? The effectiveness of Voter ID law - i.e. there are cases where somebody that are not eligible to vote were still able to vote even with the Voter ID law as they were somehow registered.

Super80Fan wrote:
I really don't understand how many in this country (the far left and the far right) can't decipher between asylum seekers, immigrants, migrants, illegal immigrants, and illegal aliens.

B/c many in this country were born in the US as a citizen, and thus, never have to deal with the BS agency known as USCIS (formerly INS)? What do they know about the immigration process anyway when they never have to go through it?

DIRECTFLT

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:57 am

The US reaction to the Marshall Plan might have been different, if the US would have been put on rations to accomplish it.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

seb146

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:20 am

The same chorus of righties going off what their sources tell them about immigrants and how many are illegal and what those immigrants (the right uses illegals and immigrants interchangeably) receive from the government.

Time to issue the same challenge to righties I have been for years:

Walk into your local welfare office with no ID, no papers, no nothing. Just walk in and demand welfare for life. Like you righties say immigrants do. See what happens and report back here.

Jouhou

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:37 am

Maine places refugees in declining towns with declining populations. Has for a long time. Maine has a huge aging and out migration problem. They need someone to pay taxes and care for the elderly.

cpd

Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:24 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
We need to hire more immigration judges and keep a steady line moving. Get these freeloaders out of here.

The entire reason for having less judges and making the process slow is to deter them from seeking asylum isn’t it? Why would you want to roll out the red carpet express service?

Shouldn’t you be advocating for them to be housed in cheap converted shipping containers or tents in some inhospitable island?

I didn’t expect you to have such a liberal view on this matter.

DL717

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:46 pm

stratclub wrote:
......................while Maine's homeless have been on waiting lists for years.
"It's a unique situation" apparently according to Dan Brennan, director of the Maine State Housing Authority.
IMHO, the only thing unique about it is that the homeless don't vote and there is a very good chance that illegals grateful for free housing, medical, education, etc will illegally register to vote and illegally vote democrat.

Essentially, Liberal Democrats are buying votes paid for by our tax dollars. It sure explains the push for wide open borders and not asking people their citizenship. https://www.theblaze.com/news/maine-hom ... um-seekers

That’s nothing new. The whole reason they don’t want the citizenship question is so that they are allocated more seats in the house and by extension electoral votes. The census data is used for that apportionment.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

casinterest

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:02 pm

What a bad article and thread start.

Maine had to move many assylum seekers out of temporary gyms so that teams could practice.
Some went to homes of caring families, some went to apartments, and some went to homeless shelters.
Here is a better writeup.

https://www.pressherald.com/2019/08/20/ ... -thanks-2/

We don't have Ellis Island and other ports like we used to for Assylum seekers, and while they await judgment on their asylum claims, we are paying for their stay.

More judges and an orderly process is needed.
Where ever you go, there you are.

mham001

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:26 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
The wall actually is something that divert the attention away from the continuing reduction of LEGAL immigration into US - i.e. H-1B visas that are getting a pain to get,

With widespread abuse directly affecting US workers, it should be more of a pain.

Dutchy wrote:
stratclub wrote:

Really? How do you come up with there highly biased bordering conspiracy theories? And why do you post them? Are you hoping on a reaction like a troll furthering your political agenda?

His statement is not entirely without merit. See below.

DL717 wrote:
That’s nothing new. The whole reason they don’t want the citizenship question is so that they are allocated more seats in the house and by extension electoral votes. The census data is used for that apportionment.

Yes, completely missing from the census citizenship argument is that sanctuary city and states will earn more representation in Congress based in illegal non-voters.

casinterest wrote:
What a bad article and thread start.

Maine had to move many assylum seekers out of temporary gyms so that teams could practice.
Some went to homes of caring families, some went to apartments, and some went to homeless shelters.
Here is a better writeup.

https://www.pressherald.com/2019/08/20/ ... -thanks-2/

That article clearly lays to rest he argument that a porous southern border is not a security risk. Africans coming through Mexico...even back in the '80's I personally knew of Iranians using the Mexican border to skirt immigration laws.

casinterest

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:30 pm

mham001 wrote:

That article clearly lays to rest he argument that a porous southern border is not a security risk. Africans coming through Mexico...even back in the '80's I personally knew of Iranians using the Mexican border to skirt immigration laws.[/quote]

Asylum seekers have nothing to do with a Porous border. They are trying to come here legally, using the legal process.

seb146

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:30 pm

mham001 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
stratclub wrote:

DL717 wrote:

Yes, completely missing from the census citizenship argument is that sanctuary city and states will earn more representation in Congress based in illegal non-voters.

But denying LEGAL voters their Constitutional rights becasue they have a name similar to a convicted felon or their 5 pieces of ID are not enough or drawing district lines in heavily Democratic areas to make them look heavily Republican or any of the other ways Republicans manipulate the map is fine?

seb146

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:32 pm

Just going to put this out again:

Asylum seekers are allowed to be in the United States while awaiting their hearing. They get jobs and contribute to society and now they have the nerve to pay rent to the state.

mham001

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:20 pm

casinterest wrote:
mham001 wrote:

That article clearly lays to rest he argument that a porous southern border is not a security risk. Africans coming through Mexico...even back in the '80's I personally knew of Iranians using the Mexican border to skirt immigration laws.

Asylum seekers have nothing to do with a Porous border. They are trying to come here legally, using the legal process.[/quote]

Why do you think they come through Central America and Mexico to (ultimately) apply for asylum? Because the opportunity for an illegal crossing is prevalent.

Seems some want to put reverence upon the word "asylum". But these are no more asylum worthy than the Central American economic migrants. They could live "safely" in the myriad of countries they must pass through to reach our borders. Why don't they? We know exactly why, they are looking for economic opportunity. Period.

stratclub
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:25 pm

seb146 wrote:
mham001 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

DL717 wrote:

But denying LEGAL voters their Constitutional rights becasue they have a name similar to a convicted felon or their 5 pieces of ID are not enough or drawing district lines in heavily Democratic areas to make them look heavily Republican or any of the other ways Republicans manipulate the map is fine?

What a hollow argument. You can't prove you are a citizen so go ahead and vote anyway? To vote, 100% proof of citizenship should be required. I don't need 5 pieces of ID to prove my citizenship.

stratclub
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:31 pm

OOPS. I screwed up the last quote some how. Only the last sentance in this post is mine.
mham001 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
mham001 wrote:

Asylum seekers have nothing to do with a Porous border. They are trying to come here legally, using the legal process.

Why do you think they come through Central America and Mexico to (ultimately) apply for asylum? Because the opportunity for an illegal crossing is prevalent.

Seems some want to put reverence upon the word "asylum". But these are no more asylum worthy than the Central American economic migrants. They could live "safely" in the myriad of countries they must pass through to reach our borders. Why don't they? We know exactly why, they are looking for economic opportunity. Period.
And 80% of asylum seekers are gaming the system. They know their asylum hearing, which they won't show up for, is many years away.
Last edited by stratclub on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mham001

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:44 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Like most things you post about life in the US, that is incorrect insofar as how they arrived, and that matters as this article notes....

"Asylum seekers who are waiting for that to happen, but who enter the country legally, through ports of entry, are able to apply for general assistance in Maine municipalities.

But Maine state law prevents asylees who cross illegally, like the ones coming to Portland, from getting that assistance.
" https://www.necn.com/news/new-england/H ... 30352.html

casinterest

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:51 pm

mham001 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
mham001 wrote:

It seems to me that you do not understand the word Asylum. Thanks for your ignorance.

mham001

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:01 pm

casinterest wrote:
It seems to me that you do not understand the word Asylum. Thanks for your ignorance.

Oh but I do. I recommend you reacquaint yourself with the only definition that matters in this discussion - USCIS...

suffered persecution or fear that they will suffer persecution due to:

Race
Religion
Nationality
Membership in a particular social group
Political opinion

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/refu ... lum/asylum

I do not see anything there about economic opportunity..

casinterest

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:04 pm

mham001 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Oh but I do. I recommend you reacquaint yourself with the only definition that matters in this discussion - USCIS...

Race
Religion
Nationality
Political opinion

Economic opportunity? Hmm, how can you have economic opportunity if you were oppressed based on the previous 5 items?
And how could a person such as yourself, without anyone trusting you to be a judge of ethics and laws make a determination of their persecution?

You can't. End of Story.

So they will now go through the Legal system and be judged on the merits of their case. One that hopefully uses judges and not political puppets appointed by Trump and his dishonorable staff.

mham001

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:28 pm

casinterest wrote:
mham001 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Race
Religion
Nationality
Political opinion

Economic opportunity? Hmm, how can you have economic opportunity if you were oppressed based on the previous 5 items?
And how could a person such as yourself, without anyone trusting you to be a judge of ethics and laws make a determination of their persecution?

You can't. End of Story.

If "safety" were the problem, they would simply land in the nearest safe spot, such as Nigeria from Camaroon. They don't, they spend thousands of dollars to travel through Brazil, Colombia, Central America and Mexico instead. Mexico has offered Central American supposed "asylum" seekers the right to work and live. They decline and demand access to the US border. You can huff and puff about that all day long but we know why - they prefer the economic opportunities and are simply exploiting a gaping loophole that people like you seem to not want to close. Why is that?

casinterest

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:34 pm

mham001 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
mham001 wrote:

Race
Religion
Nationality
Political opinion

You can't. End of Story.

If "safety" were the problem, they would simply land in the nearest safe spot, such as Nigeria from Camaroon. They don't, they spend thousands of dollars to travel through Brazil, Colombia, Central America and Mexico instead. Mexico has offered Central American supposed "asylum" seekers the right to work and live. They decline and demand access to the US border. You can huff and puff about that all day long but we know why - they prefer the economic opportunities and are simply exploiting a gaping loophole that people like you seem to not want to close. Why is that?

Well, if they have the "Thousands to spend" and the willpower to undertake such an arduous journey, should we not hear out their asylum claims? They already proved they have money and motivation. People who make asylum claims are going to the nearest safe spot, and for a lot of people that is the US.

The US is made of immigrants, it is what made this country truly great. Not the yammerings of racist people wanting to close the border.

seb146

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:05 pm

I wonder how many of those in Maine are legal? There is a concern there are illegals. I also wonder if they simply did not understand the asylum process? Why are American citizens not applying for and working the jobs these asylum seekers do?

Of the list mham ran down, there are legitimate, legal reasons they can apply for asylum here. I heard a report on NPR a while ago there are Somalis who live in camps inside Kenya. They are not Kenyan citizens, as they have no right to apply for citizenship or asylum in Kenya but, because of violence, they do not want to go back to Somalia. Some can not return to Somalia because of legal issues.