NIKV69
Topic Author

Chipolte going downhill fast

Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:11 am

Girlfriend picked up Chipotle last night and I should have been warned a couple of weeks ago I sent her in there for some tacos and the person asked her what I wanted on them? :shock: It's a taco look up the recipe! Not to mention they sucked.

So anyway last night I wanted just a bowl with chicken, beef, lettuce, salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Well there was little to no meat in it! Now I don't have to tell you how much they charge but needless to say I was not happy. A couple of tweets later I am done. I mean it's hard enough trying to get real Mexican here in NY but this is ridiculous. I can't wait to get back to the SW where real Mexican is plentiful. Superfly and me in Ontario! I can only wish.

What is your opinion of Chipotle? Maybe we can go to BN747 to agree again. It would be a record. :hyper:

I do remember when they first opened they were decent but not anymore!
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

cledaybuck

Re: Chipolte going downhill fast

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:11 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Girlfriend picked up Chipotle last night and I should have been warned a couple of weeks ago I sent her in there for some tacos and the person asked her what I wanted on them? :shock: It's a taco look up the recipe!

What a strange rant. It’s like you are completely unfamiliar with the concept of Chipotle. Or tacos.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

TTailedTiger

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:52 am

They are very inconsistent. Some employees will give you a decent portion while others act like every ingredient is being paid for out of their own wallet. There are many better local options but if they were consistent they would at least be a semi-decent option.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:53 am

I've never been happy with my Chipotle experience. The servers don't seem to "serve" but have more of an attitude, to run you through the line a fast as possible, so they can "serve" the next schmuck. Not worth the money for what you get, imo.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

juliuswong

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:55 am

Hi all, kindly refrain from personal attack.

Thanks!

Regards,
J
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

SL1200MK2

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:31 am

Chipotle is to Mexican food what Dominos is to pizza. Bland a boring.

vikkyvik

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:24 pm

SL1200MK2 wrote:
Chipotle is to Mexican food what Dominos is to pizza. Bland a boring.

:checkmark:

Well, I'll say it's a bit better, quality-wise, than Dominos. But still not in my top 10 of places to go to for Mexican food.

NIKV69 wrote:
It's a taco look up the recipe!

What a strange thing to complain about.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

frmrCapCadet

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:37 pm

Somewhat off topic: Wife and I like a fast food hamburger once a month or so. Especially with all the veggies on it - lettuce, tomato, onions, pickle plus sauce. So... yesterday we had a Whopper but the Impossible version, it definitely tasted very meaty. We paid a $ extra per burger. My guess is that when the Impossible is 50 cents cheaper rather than a dollar more beef producers will be in trouble. Next month we will try the Carl equivalent.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

einsteinboricua

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:41 pm

I gladly give Chipotle my business every month. It's the closest I'll ever get to Hispanic food, while also being fresh and healthy (assuming you don't overload with sour cream, cheese, and others).

I will agree that there is no consistency when serving food. Some will put the equivalent of serving and a half while others will try to serve the remaining half. My biggest grip is with guac, that always seems to be rationed. The spoon is never full so it's almost like you're getting a small glob (pro-tip: ask for it to be served on the side to ensure maximum serving...or better yet, make your own since the recipe is public and online).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

zakuivcustom

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:10 pm

I personally always found Chipotle to be meh anyway. They're not exactly cheap, their food is not as "healthy" as advertised (It's still a lot of carb), and they taste really meh. And I do agree with other posters - they're definitely inconsistent when it comes to portion.

Plus if I REALLY carved Mexican, I'll just find a Mexican joint.

P.S. "Chain" Burrito-wise, I'll take Freebirds over Chipotle all day long.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

SCQ83

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:17 pm

They opened a few outlets in Paris and London already quite a few years ago and they haven't expanded more in Europe (other than Frankfurt).

It seems that at least in Europe they are a big failure.

ER757

Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:42 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Girlfriend picked up Chipotle last night and I should have been warned a couple of weeks ago I sent her in there for some tacos and the person asked her what I wanted on them? :shock: It's a taco look up the recipe! Not to mention they sucked.

So anyway last night I wanted just a bowl with chicken, beef, lettuce, salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Well there was little to no meat in it! Now I don't have to tell you how much they charge but needless to say I was not happy. A couple of tweets later I am done. I mean it's hard enough trying to get real Mexican here in NY but this is ridiculous. I can't wait to get back to the SW where real Mexican is plentiful. Superfly and me in Ontario! I can only wish.

What is your opinion of Chipotle? Maybe we can go to BN747 to agree again. It would be a record. :hyper:

I do remember when they first opened they were decent but not anymore!

Never been a big fan of them myself. Went a couple times, found them to be over-priced and the taste was nothing to get excited about. Local chain out here called Taco Time is better - they're spendy too but the food tastes a lot better and they are consistent on portion size

N867DA

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:31 pm

There aren't many national chains that do what Chipotle does. There are several regional ones, especially in the West/Southwest that are superior to Chipotle, but for people who aren't near them Chipotle is a good option. I've never been dissatisfied with the quantity or quality of my bowls, though I order online and clearly mark which ingredients I want extra. It can be a little bland if the preparer doesn't add enough of the hot salsa, but the Chipotle Tabasco sauce takes care of that.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

Super80Fan

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:04 pm

I love Chipotle, as with any place with multiple locations some are better than others.

Is it real Mexican? Absolutely not. Is it decent semi healthy food & filling for the price? Yes.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

NIKV69
Topic Author

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:20 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Girlfriend picked up Chipotle last night and I should have been warned a couple of weeks ago I sent her in there for some tacos and the person asked her what I wanted on them? :shock: It's a taco look up the recipe!

What a strange rant. It’s like you are completely unfamiliar with the concept of Chipotle. Or tacos.

Maybe it's I live in the Southwest so I know real Mexican.

vikkyvik wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

That is funny every other place and time I ask for I just say soft or hard and they know how to make it!

stratosphere

Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:09 pm

The amount of times they have been flagged for food poisoning why would anyone want to eat there?

hawaiian717

Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:57 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

That is funny every other place and time I ask for I just say soft or hard and they know how to make it!

The whole point of Chipotle is everything is assembled the way you want it right in front of you, so I’d course they’re going to ask what you want in it. It’s the Subway model but with Mexican food.

cledaybuck

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:38 am

hawaiian717 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:

The whole point of Chipotle is everything is assembled the way you want it right in front of you, so I’d course they’re going to ask what you want in it. It’s the Subway model but with Mexican food.

Right. Plus any time I go to someplace with tacos, I see them with ground beef, steak, chicken, fish, shrimp etc.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

cledaybuck

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:58 am

NIKV69 wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Maybe it's I live in the Southwest so I know real Mexican!

Careful. People are going to think you are a liberal with talk like that. :D

NIKV69
Topic Author

Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:07 am

hawaiian717 wrote:

And they suck just as much as Subway.

cledaybuck wrote:
Careful. People are going to think you are a liberal with talk like that. :D

LOL not supporting guns and legal drugs.

zakuivcustom

Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:26 am

NIKV69 wrote:
And they suck just as much as Subway.

Nah...Subway is still worse.

NIKV69 wrote:

Taco Suadero or Al Pastor or something like Tripa/Lengua/(Insert a bunch of random parts from head of a cow that I've yet to be able to find in US)?

Then there's Chipotle, which has, well, fillings for tacos that you probably wouldn't find outside of the main tourist drag in Mexico.

jdstJD

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:07 am

I like chipotle because it’s a nice change from typical fast food. Also because it’s one of the very few fast food places you can go to when you’re on the keto diet :)
Lawyer, frequent air traveler and aviation enthusiast.

UnMAXed

Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:49 am

stratosphere wrote:
The amount of times they have been flagged for food poisoning why would anyone want to eat there?

This!
So many food poisonings all over their network means there is a systemic flaw, not just the fault of some local franchisee.

frmrCapCadet

Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:19 pm

There are structural problems with avoiding food poisoning and offering local foods and on site food preparation. Read Modernist Cuisine, Volume 1 food poisoning. Raw produce (lettuce, tomatoes, green and yellow onions, kale(?) etc)is perhaps the biggest source. Chipolte was preparing all of its produce in local restaurants. Statistically this increases the chance of contaminated produce reaching customers. The solution adopted was to move all or much of that unprepared produce to a factory, rinse, chop, and package it off site under factory possible sanitary procedures. Note - if you running a small operation and doing the food prep locally that chances are small you will experience an outbreak. If you are a big operation you are vulnerable - somewhere sometime somehow it is going to happen.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

EA CO AS

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:58 pm

I love Chipotle! Having said that, I absolutely agree on the inconsistency, and the only way around that is to be your own advocate in line. You have to watch every step like a hawk, as I've seen people on the prep line watch ingredients fall off the bowl they're making for me, then sweep it off the line, into their hand, and place it back on the bowl! (Erm, no - toss that and start over!) And of course, not being bashful about asking for more of a particular ingredient if they don't provide the proper amount. I also won't hesitate to double up on one item if I forgo another, such as doubling up on white rice if I don't go with beans.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

NIKV69
Topic Author

Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:11 pm

jdstJD wrote:
I like chipotle because it’s a nice change from typical fast food. Also because it’s one of the very few fast food places you can go to when you’re on the keto diet :)

I have been doing some Atkins too but after that experience I would rather get the Wendy's salads

cranberrysaus

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:04 pm

Our local one seems to have gotten lazy. We ordered bowls from the app the other day and when we got home and opened them, they didn't even bother to chop/shred the lettuce. Just literal whole lettuce leaves sitting on top of the food.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:41 pm

cranberrysaus wrote:
Our local one seems to have gotten lazy. We ordered bowls from the app the other day and when we got home and opened them, they didn't even bother to chop/shred the lettuce. Just literal whole lettuce leaves sitting on top of the food.

I hear ya my bowl sucked real bad. Anyway Del Taco has a new breakfast item!

TWA772LR

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:27 am

When was Chipotle ever on top? The best burrito chains are Uburrito and Bullritos in Houston.

Being from Houston I, like Mr. NIKV, a fellow southwesterner, know Mexican food. But since I've moved to Denver I've come to realize that Texas has made me jaded for Mexican food, because Colorado Mexican food sucks!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

zakuivcustom

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:48 am

TWA772LR wrote:
When was Chipotle ever on top? The best burrito chains are Uburrito and Bullritos in Houston.

Being from Houston I, like Mr. NIKV, a fellow southwesterner, know Mexican food. But since I've moved to Denver I've come to realize that Texas has made me jaded for Mexican food, because Colorado Mexican food sucks!

You're not the only one that missed those Mexican food that are actually good in Texas :cry2: (Former Houstonian and Austinite here, and lived in San Antonio for ~6 months). Just don't go to Ninfa's (They're not the worst, but there are simply tons of other Mexican restaurants that are much better in Houston).

And if Colorado Mexican food suck, the one here in Indiana are even worse :banghead:

P.S. I personally don't consider Chipotle "Mexican" food anyway. Yes, it's more "Mexican" than Taco Bell, but that's about it.

Kno

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:54 am

Chipotle was never good of course it sucks.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:16 am

TWA772LR wrote:

I am blessed to split my time in NY and Nevada. Plus spending a good amount of time in SoCal. Best Mexican! You can get great Mexican in AZ too but up there in CO? I feel for you.

KFTG

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:11 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Not to mention they sucked.

But you mentioned it?

KingFriday013

Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:22 pm

I don't go to Chipotle if I can avoid it. You're honestly better off getting a crunch wrap at Taco Bell at this point. I spend a lot of time on the west coast where the good Mexican food is plentiful.

You can't (easily) get good Mexican food in New York anymore :(

(Okay, there are a few taco trucks in some neighborhoods that are really good. But we used to have a great place right here in my neighborhood. It's been gone for about a decade and I still miss it.)

-J.
Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you, By the livin' Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

afcjets

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:35 pm

If you don't care about eating pesticide or antibiotic free food, there is no reason to eat at Chipotle unless it's convenient, you can get better Mexican for less somewhere else, especially during lunch. Most authentic full service Mexican restaurants have lunch specials that are less expensive than Chipotle, and you get unlimited free chips and salsa.

AirplaneFixer

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:50 am

afcjets wrote:
If you don't care about eating pesticide or antibiotic free food, there is no reason to eat at Chipotle unless it's convenient, you can get better Mexican for less somewhere else, especially during lunch. Most authentic full service Mexican restaurants have lunch specials that are less expensive than Chipotle, and you get unlimited free chips and salsa.

Not only that but they’re actually murican born mexicans so you know your food is genuine red white and blue!