ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Retread Tires on Front End Loaders

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:55 am

What exactly is it like running retread tires on front end loaders. I do know that they are commonly used on 18 wheelers and other large trucks.
 
TSS
Posts: 3228
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: Retread Tires on Front End Loaders

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:40 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
What exactly is it like running retread tires on front end loaders.


As long as they were retreaded by a reputable company, it shouldn't be a problem. Aside from damage, two things destroy tires: Weathering from the outside and heat buildup in the tire carcass from the inside. Front end loaders rarely if ever travel fast enough to build up any heat in the carcasses of their tires, and a reputable retreader would never use an excessively weathered tire as a base.

ArchGuy1 wrote:
I do know that they are commonly used on 18 wheelers and other large trucks.


Never in a steering position, though. Traveling at highway speeds over long distances, truck tires can build up tremendous amounts of heat, especially if they or the tire next to them slightly are slightly under-inflated, hence the thousands if not millions of "road gators" (shed treads of retreaded truck tires) that litter the sides of highways across the US.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Retread Tires on Front End Loaders

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:09 pm

TSS wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
What exactly is it like running retread tires on front end loaders.


As long as they were retreaded by a reputable company, it shouldn't be a problem. Aside from damage, two things destroy tires: Weathering from the outside and heat buildup in the tire carcass from the inside. Front end loaders rarely if ever travel fast enough to build up any heat in the carcasses of their tires, and a reputable retreader would never use an excessively weathered tire as a base.

ArchGuy1 wrote:
I do know that they are commonly used on 18 wheelers and other large trucks.


Never in a steering position, though. Traveling at highway speeds over long distances, truck tires can build up tremendous amounts of heat, especially if they or the tire next to them slightly are slightly under-inflated, hence the thousands if not millions of "road gators" (shed treads of retreaded truck tires) that litter the sides of highways across the US.

Are retreads on the steer axle of a front end loader fine. Also, are they a good investment for construction companies.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 11733
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Retread Tires on Front End Loaders

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:51 pm

These things never travel on roads, at least here, I suspect it's even illegal, so the state of their tires doesn't matter that much, as long as they get traction in dirt/mud.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Retread Tires on Front End Loaders

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:25 pm

Aesma wrote:
These things never travel on roads, at least here, I suspect it's even illegal, so the state of their tires doesn't matter that much, as long as they get traction in dirt/mud.

Where exactly do you live
 
TSS
Posts: 3228
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: Retread Tires on Front End Loaders

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:07 pm

Image

To make sure we're all on the same page, this ^ is what you mean by "front end loader", right? There are of course smaller versions available.

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Are retreads on the steer axle of a front end loader fine.


I'm guessing you meant that as a question, and yes, I don't see why they wouldn't be. Most of the ones I've seen in service, though, the tires that came on them lasted as long as the loader itself did anyway, i.e. if the tires that came on a loader are worn out, chances are the loader itself is too, although the smaller ones that are like a farm tractor with an attachment on the front could be an exception to that rule.

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Also, are they a good investment for construction companies.


Right off, no, because they can be rented. You'd have to compare the cost of renting one regularly if you need to versus the initial investment of buying one plus maintenance and transportation (if it travels more than a block or two it'll need to do so on a trailer) for the full analysis.

Aesma wrote:
These things never travel on roads, at least here, I suspect it's even illegal, so the state of their tires doesn't matter that much, as long as they get traction in dirt/mud.


Same here. You might occasionally see one going from one end of a large construction site to the other end via road for expediency, but that's rare.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 11733
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Retread Tires on Front End Loaders

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:18 pm

My company owns lots of them as it's a big construction and public works company, it still rents a lot of them too, but I have really no ideas on the costs, I'm in IT. I know we're being hurt by the end of a tax exemption on "non road diesel" these things use. Might see electric models soon.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Draken21fx, Dutchy, einsteinboricua, frmrCapCadet, sonicruiser, vrbarreto and 41 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos