Airstud
Topic Author

Crossword puzzle thread

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:56 am

See, when I lived in San Francisco, despite detesting living in San Francisco, I admitted it was a crossword puzzler's paradise.

Going back to when yon Internets was still newfangled, and newspapers were where you turned to for crosswords (which, in my case, they still are (I'm a traditionalist)), you'd buy the San Francisco Chronicle which printed the Los Angeles Times daily crossword on its comics page Monday through Saturday, and the Chicago Tribune daily crossword Monday through Friday in some other section where they called it "The Commuter." You could get the Saturday Tribune puzzle in the Saturday San Jose Mercury News. Also on Saturdays the Chronicle would print a Sunday-sized New York Times puzzle (it'd be one New Yorkers already got about two weeks earlier, but no worries since it's just a puzzle and not the headlines), and, being in California, you were in the circulation area for the Los Angeles Times and could therefore pick up their Sunday edition and enjoy another 21x21; this was in addition to the Sunday Chronicle, which published Frank Longo's weirdly unchallenging "Premier" Crossword (I set the countdown timer on my microwave and always got it knocked out in 16 minutes or less) and the more rewarding Merl Reagle puzzle.

On top of all of this was the nationally-available "Friday Journal" section in The Wall Street Journal which featured an utterly celestial-quality 21x21 puzzle.

In bookstores, when those existed, you could find anthologies of Sunday puzzles bearing the mastheads of The Boston Globe, The Washington Post, and Chicago Tribune. I'm not sure if the Globe or the Post also originate their own daily puzzles, but it's frustrating to me that I've not been in Chicago or Washington on a Sunday and been able to add another crossword originator to my list of conquests!!

I have tried to construct crossword puzzles myself but have found it a whole lot more challenging than I expected it would be. I expect, therefore, that I'll never accomplish a feat like Jeremiah Farrell's 1996 "Election Day" puzzle, which - necessarily - had two possible solutions, each completely different, but that worked with the exact same set of clues!! :boggled:

Another piece of impossible puzzle-constructing mastery was accomplished by Mr. Jeff Chen, to whom Shane Ryan wrote [urlhttps://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/01/this-sundays-nytimes-crossword-puzzle-had-one-of-t.html]this paean[/url]. I was midly disappointed that I didn't get to happen upon that particular puzzle and delight in its devilishly inventive solution, but the fact is I never would've been cool enough to solve it successfully anyway.

Any fellow cruciverbalists out there? Does your hometown paper originate its own puzzles or do you just have the nationally syndicated ones? USA Today has a decent daily crossword but I don't think they do a 21x21, not even for their weekend edition.

crosswords crosswords crosswords crosswords crosswords crosswords crosswords crosswords crosswords crosswords crosswords crosswords crosswords

(See, I like crosswords.)
Pancakes are delicious.

Airstud
Topic Author

Re: Crossword puzzle thread

Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:06 am

I am beginning to think that perhaps there are not very many cruciverbalists in this here forum
Pancakes are delicious.

Concierge

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:42 pm

Airstud wrote:
I am beginning to think that perhaps there are not very many cruciverbalists in this here forum

One of the great pleasures of my life was meeting Jeremiah Farrell who wrote the NYT puzzle 'Election Day'. A puzzle so clever that it correctly predicted the result of the 1980 presidential election - no matter the outcome. Spent weeks in physical therapy listening to the old professor.

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:16 am

Concierge wrote:
Airstud wrote:

One of the great pleasures of my life was meeting Jeremiah Farrell who wrote the NYT puzzle 'Election Day'. A puzzle so clever that it correctly predicted the result of the 1980 presidential election - no matter the outcome. Spent weeks in physical therapy listening to the old professor.

1980? Did Farrell do another "Election Day" puzzle besides his 1996 one? :boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.

ehl5369

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:02 am

I miss doing crossword puzzles without the availability/temptation of on-demand answers on the internet existing.

ER757

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:01 am

I enjoy crosswords immensely - I even do the USA Today on-line one occasionally, even though I am old school like the OP and much prefer a printed one. I even will buy a collection in the Hudson News at whatever airport I am in and do a bunch on the plane or while waiting in the terminal for my flight. I'm an old geezer :old: so I get the AARP magazine in the mail and they have a themed puzzle each month - not brutally difficult but entertaining nonetheless.