Dutchy

Re: Trump wants to buy Greenland

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:00 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
My observation of the situation is spot on accurate.

According to you and that says it all.

It is kind of interesting indeed, whom brought it out st this moment of time. This is probably a true story, though, journalist normally take two sources before they publish anything. And why it has been brought out in the open, we will never know.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

MikeDrop

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:08 pm

seb146 wrote:
When did I say anything about race?

seb146 wrote:
It baffles me that he regularly puts out crazy and racist and non onsensical things on the OFFICIAL presidential social media accounts but MAGA fan boys dismiss it.

The word racist is present in the statement that you just quoted. LOL

Mike Drop

Super80Fan

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:05 pm

He probably thinks Greenland is Iceland and vice versa.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

scbriml

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:09 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
Has anyone actually asked President Trump if he said this?

Well, I tried. But they said he was too busy on the golf course to be disturbed.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

N867DA

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:24 pm

Pyrex wrote:
slider wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
Trump has a huge psychological, almost a sexual like thrill in doing deals, even if are of terrible business or political sense.

One might also call it visionary.

Perhaps if you stopped with the kneejerk ORANGE MAN BAD schtick and pay attention to the motives and the political backdrop of Greenland, you'd realize why this makes sense.

The purchase of Alaska was called "Seward's folly" at the time, and widely ridiculed in polite society at the time. Turned out a pretty good idea...

I think Trump is definitely a terrible, immoral, "bad" human being and President but I see the benefit in buying Greenland. Having a northern possession to cement American presence in the Arctic will be important in years to come. That said: there's no harm in offering to buy, but if the answer is no then the topic should end there.

A stopped clock is right twice a day. Orange Man might be right twice a term.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

DIRECTFLT

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:02 am

Buy Cuba instead. Nice beaches. And Cigars.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

MaverickM11

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:15 am

I love how this is a warmed over idea that Pat Buchanan pushed in the 90s during his election campaign. So fitting Trump is pushing the ideas of another senile white supremacist.:rotfl:
E pur si muove -Galileo

prebennorholm

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:18 am

If Trump really has expressed intention to buy Greenland, then it is likely one of the cleverest moves he has ever made.

In Greenland there has been politicians who seriously talked about selling mining rights to Russia and maybe China. Including right to build support facilities such as shipports and airports, facilities which in less than 24 hours can be transformed into military bases.

Such selling to countries, where business and state are mostly combined entities, is not a good idea. It is the legitimate interest of the USA, Greenland, Denmark, and the whole of NATO that such "business" does not occur.

Our new Danish foreign minister Mr. Jeppe Kofod seems to be a clever man and can see through the media spin. He just said: "Greenland is not for sale, neither for dollars, rubles or yens".

This whole thing was an incredibly clever move. In less than one day the whole idea of Russian or Chinese "mining" in Greenland has been put to rest for at least a hundred years. And it has been made known all over this planet. Was it Trump's idea? In this case I guess that he relied on some very good advisors, who really deserve a salary increase.

Or was it the Danish foreign minister who asked Trump to do him a favor? Could be. We will never know.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

SanDiegoLover

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:40 am

MikeDrop wrote:
seb146 wrote:
It baffles me that he regularly puts out crazy and racist and nonsensical things on the OFFICIAL presidential social media accounts but MAGA fan boys dismiss it.

This wasn’t put out on any official twitter page, Trump hasn’t actually said anything about it, besides the anonymous allegations, and I’m not sure how you see that any of this is racist.
Mike Drop

The WSJ which Rupert Murdoch, is owner of as well as Fox News first published it with multiple sources, and now other news outlets have confirmed, these conversations have taken place on more than one occasion. https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-eyes ... 1565904223

Watching Breitfarters extol the brilliance of The Dotard’s latest epiphany is amusing. That site is a perfect pool of people needing red flag prohibitions enacted.

BN747

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:50 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Hmmm...

Does he know it's not actually green?

Odds are he has NO idea.

Even after traversing the Atlantic/Greenland zillions of times...I bet when told 'that's Greenland down there..' he replied with "Hmmm...must be winter"

Shame on the joker who gave him that idea in the first place..but it'd very telling in that He will fall for anything told to him unbeknown to him (which is almost everything). and telling of how we are all in peril up against that.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

SOBHI51

Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:19 am

Super80Fan wrote:
He probably thinks Greenland is Iceland and vice versa.

But they are, Iceland in the winter and Greenland in the summer :rotfl:
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

tommy1808

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:11 pm

slider wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
Trump has a huge psychological, almost a sexual like thrill in doing deals, even if are of terrible business or political sense.

Perhaps if you stopped with the kneejerk ORANGE MAN BAD schtick and pay attention to the motives and the political backdrop of Greenland, you'd realize why this makes sense.

With statehood where Puerto Rico doesn't get that? As a semi autonomous place it isn't for sale, and it takes a slave holder mentality to think otherwise, as anything else would downgrade citizens. And that is a big no no these days.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

anrec80

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:44 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
Maybe Canada should take over the Dakotas and Montana. Nobody of importance lives there anyway, and we'd remove 5 GOP Senators. Seems like an excellent scenario :bigthumbsup:

Did you ask them if they want to go to Canada? And if Canada needs them?

TWA772LR

Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:05 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Buy Cuba instead. Nice beaches. And Cigars.

Now we're talkin'!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

B777LRF

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:20 am

TSS wrote:
What the receding ice has revealed, however, are substantial deposits of valuable gemstones waiting to be mined.

There's gold, uranium and other rare earth minerals on the island; that has been known for years, and a gold mine was established some years ago. But as that mining company found out, the cost of extraction exceeds by a rather large margin the market value. And the receding ice is a summer phenomenon; any mining operation will still be operating in winter conditions for 8 months a year, causing huge logistical issues to the point extraction is loss making. When they have to close an actual gold mine, that tells you all you need to know.

slider wrote:
...Denmark for it, who is struggling to support it.

Struggling to support it? Surely, Sir, you're using the wrong orifice for communication!

The annual 'block' support to Greenland is in the region of 4,6BN DKK, or roughly 0,15% of the Danish GDP. Peanuts, in other words. The economy in Greenland is actually going pretty good; unemployment is below 5% and there's a burgeoning shortage of labour. If anything, the economy is in danger of overheating.

Greenland is not for sale and will not be coming up for sale. It has a fairly large level of autonomy, but will remain part of the Danish realm for the foreseeable future.
Signature. You just read one.

bgm

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:27 am

Perhaps we could just deport Trump and his repulsive minions to Greenland and leave them there to fester?
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

B777LRF

Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:15 pm

bgm wrote:
Perhaps we could just deport Trump and his repulsive minions to Greenland and leave them there to fester?

And pollute one of the most pristine and beautiful landscapes on the planet? Surely that would be a crime against humanity!

If memory serves me right, the US has access to (parts of) an Island imminently suited for such an idea, with suitable infrastructure and all in place :)

Thunderboltdrgn

Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:09 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Trump realized that there is no golf course in Greenland, nor tourism big enough to sustain a Trump Hotel at Nuuk, right?

Ok, there's the mineral/rare earth material, plus Trump can probably build gulags in Greenland near those mine for forced labor. :duck: :duck: . Plus having "Alaska East" that's an unsinkable aircraft carrier helps control the arctic.

But either way, it's not exactly for sale, and it's not like US can print tons of money right now to fund that when we need to fund the wall also, since Mexico is not paying for it. :banghead:

Actually there ARE golf courses in Greenland.
https://www.golf.com/news/2019/08/17/pr ... f-courses/
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

stratclub

Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:28 pm

bgm wrote:

That doesn't make any sense. Being an American born citizen where would yo deport him to? The United States? Just so you know, he already resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500 and lives rent free in the minds of Liberals.

zakuivcustom

Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:41 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Trump realized that there is no golf course in Greenland, nor tourism big enough to sustain a Trump Hotel at Nuuk, right?

Ok, there's the mineral/rare earth material, plus Trump can probably build gulags in Greenland near those mine for forced labor. :duck: :duck: . Plus having "Alaska East" that's an unsinkable aircraft carrier helps control the arctic.

But either way, it's not exactly for sale, and it's not like US can print tons of money right now to fund that when we need to fund the wall also, since Mexico is not paying for it. :banghead:

Actually there ARE golf courses in Greenland.
https://www.golf.com/news/2019/08/17/pr ... f-courses/

:white: :white:

Time for a Trump Resort at Nuuk. It can become White House North (vs. the current White House South aka Mar-a-Lago).

EDIT:
https://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/eco-touri ... -greenland

I like this golf course better.

Trump Resort & Hotel Uummannaq, here we go. After Trump finishes renovating Ryugyong Hotel and turn that into Trump Resort & Hotel Pyongyang, that is (Which will take awhile b/c Trump has to change all those glass panel outside to gold first).
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

bgm

Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:48 pm

stratclub wrote:
Being an American born citizen where would yo deport him to?

The same place Trump was planning to deport Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib, and Ayanna Pressley to? :duck:

stratclub wrote:
Just so you know, he already resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500 and lives rent free in the minds of Liberals.

He also resides at Mar-A-Lago making a healthy profit from the US tax payer.
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

stratclub

Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:58 pm

bgm wrote:
stratclub wrote:
Being an American born citizen where would yo deport him to?

The same place Trump was planning to deport Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib, and Ayanna Pressley to? :duck:

stratclub wrote:
Just so you know, he already resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500 and lives rent free in the minds of Liberals.

He also resides at Mar-A-Lago making a healthy profit from the US tax payer.
Great misquote of what he said. He didn't talk about deporting anyone He invited them to "go back to where they came from, fix where they came from and come back and show us how it's done".

The only one that could be deported is Ilmar Omar anyway. The unsaid jist was that the other 3 should go back to their districts and fix the problems there. Fat chance of that though with how much hate they have for America.

I guess you missed the finer point. you can not deport a citizen born in the United States all you could do is exile them from the country. But really why would yo deport/exile one of the best Presidents this great country has ever had? For not letting the Democrats bend him over and railroading him out of office? Or for beating The worst Presidential candidate in history Hillery Clinton (The worst Presidential candidate in history)

MareBorealis

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:15 am

Oh yes he said that.

https://news.sky.com/story/donald-trump ... l-11788813

Donald Trump has confirmed he is interested in buying Greenland, saying it would be "essentially a large real estate deal".

Asked about reports that he was exploring the purchase of the 850,000 sq mile island from Denmark, the US president said he was "looking at it" as "strategically for the US it would be nice".

;)

B777LRF

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:45 am

What really illustrates the almost bottomless ineptitude of him and his administration, is that they want to talk to Denmark about selling Greenland.

Now if they'd taken just a minute to look things over, they'd found that the self-rule agreement Greenland has with Denmark makes it impossible for the latter to sell the former. On the other hand, since Greenland does not have complete autonomy yet (and probably never will), any 'deal' would have to be approved by both parties, the chances of which happening is somewhere between zero and none.

But what really sets his level of intellectual capacity, is the notion it would just 'be a large real estate deal'. How anybody with just two functioning braincells would reach that conclusion is beyond me. Then again I, along with almost every carbon based creature in the universe, have more functioning braincells than individual #1. The only exception being a minority of the US electorate.

VSMUT

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:19 am

B777LRF wrote:
But what really sets his level of intellectual capacity, is the notion it would just 'be a large real estate deal'. How anybody with just two functioning braincells would reach that conclusion is beyond me. Then again I, along with almost every carbon based creature in the universe, have more functioning braincells than individual #1. The only exception being a minority of the US electorate.

Has he even considered what would happen to the local population if he could do it? Or does he simply plan on deporting them off to Denmark?

WIederling

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:28 am

VSMUT wrote:
Has he even considered what would happen to the local population if he could do it? Or does he simply plan on deporting them off to Denmark?

Send blankets?
Murphy is an optimist

stratclub

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:42 am

MareBorealis wrote:
Oh yes he said that.

Donald Trump has confirmed he is interested in buying Greenland, saying it would be "essentially a large real estate deal".

Asked about reports that he was exploring the purchase of the 850,000 sq mile island from Denmark, the US president said he was "looking at it" as "strategically for the US it would be nice".

;)

It's just amazing how easy it is for him to trigger the weak minded. Every time he does it, his ratings just get better. I'm sure that anyone with any common sense would realize the idea of buying Greenland was nothing more than a troll to trigger stupid people.

His trolling of Elijah Cummings was shear genius. It brought out the corruption in Baltimore for all to see. I think that Elijah's career of screwing the American people is coming to an end and as a plus, The Mighty Orange One is going to pry some black votes away from the Democrats.

tommy1808

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:06 am

stratclub wrote:
amazing how easy it is for him to trigger the weak minded. Every time he does it, his ratings just get better.

In what alternative reality are his ratings getting better? He is, and has been, for a long time consistently at -11% with minimal fluctuations, and are currently one of the down slopes.

Best regards
Thomas

trpmb6

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:39 am

In the midst of dozens of lackluster-opinionated-filled posts with no basis in fact we have this beautiful post that actually characterizes the reality of the geopolitical importance of Greenland and its resources. Great post prebennorholm.

prebennorholm wrote:
If Trump really has expressed intention to buy Greenland, then it is likely one of the cleverest moves he has ever made.

In Greenland there has been politicians who seriously talked about selling mining rights to Russia and maybe China. Including right to build support facilities such as shipports and airports, facilities which in less than 24 hours can be transformed into military bases.

Such selling to countries, where business and state are mostly combined entities, is not a good idea. It is the legitimate interest of the USA, Greenland, Denmark, and the whole of NATO that such "business" does not occur.

Our new Danish foreign minister Mr. Jeppe Kofod seems to be a clever man and can see through the media spin. He just said: "Greenland is not for sale, neither for dollars, rubles or yens".

This whole thing was an incredibly clever move. In less than one day the whole idea of Russian or Chinese "mining" in Greenland has been put to rest for at least a hundred years. And it has been made known all over this planet. Was it Trump's idea? In this case I guess that he relied on some very good advisors, who really deserve a salary increase.

Or was it the Danish foreign minister who asked Trump to do him a favor? Could be. We will never know.

Aaron747

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:47 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
I love how this is a warmed over idea that Pat Buchanan pushed in the 90s during his election campaign. So fitting Trump is pushing the ideas of another senile white supremacist.:rotfl:

Senile or not, at least Pat Buchanan has one thing going for him: he has been against virtually every facet of 45 foreign policy.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:49 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
In the midst of dozens of lackluster-opinionated-filled posts with no basis in fact we have this beautiful post that actually characterizes the reality of the geopolitical importance of Greenland and its resources. Great post prebennorholm.

Would have been a good post, except for this little tidbit:

prebennorholm wrote:

You really mean to tell me that we cannot allow Greenland to open itself up to Russian or Chinese mining and development, but we should be more than happy when a Russian company is the main shareholder of a Kentucky plant (which Moscow Mitch was instrumental in allowing since he blocked sanctions against said company)?

"Oh but that company saved jobs in Appalachia!"...so, Greenlanders don't deserve the same opportunities? Double standard much?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

MareBorealis

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:27 pm

stratclub wrote:
MareBorealis wrote:
Oh yes he said that.

;)

It's just amazing how easy it is for him to trigger the weak minded. Every time he does it, his ratings just get better. I'm sure that anyone with any common sense would realize the idea of buying Greenland was nothing more than a troll to trigger stupid people.

We "weak minded" outside US just follow the show, you have an entertaining president.

MikeDrop

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:31 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
You really mean to tell me that we cannot allow Greenland to open itself up to Russian or Chinese wmining and development.....

For the last 3 years you have been saying that the Russians are our enemies, and that Trump is a Russian agent. Now they are good and we should be happy about the prospect of Greenland becoming a Russian outpost.

Crazy stuff.

Basically, it seems like the left is just against whatever Trump is alleged to be doing. It really doesn’t matter what it is.

Just a few weeks ago he had the left saying they liked rats and filth because he called out the city of Baltimore for what it is - a city of rats and filth.

Im waiting for you to criticize Trump for his efforts on the opioid epidemic and come out in favor of addiction.

Mike Drop

casinterest

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Trump is just an imbecile, If he wanted real strategy, he would offer to by North Korea.
Where ever you go, there you are.

tommy1808

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:07 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
You really mean to tell me that we cannot allow Greenland to open itself up to Russian or Chinese wmining and development.....

For the last 3 years you have been saying that the Russians are our enemies, and that Trump is a Russian agent. Now they are good and we should be happy about the prospect of Greenland becoming a Russian outpost.

A russian mining operation on Greenland does no more mean that Greenland becomes a Russian outpost then selling a US uranium mine to a Russian mining company makes that a Russian outpost in the US, or that Uranium has been sold to Russia for that matter.

Just like I have no problem criticising Russia for a gazillion things, yet not see them as a threat for direct military conflict.

Best regards
Thomas

Aaron747

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:09 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Crazy stuff.

Basically, it seems like the left is just against whatever Trump is alleged to be doing. It really doesn’t matter what it is.

Just a few weeks ago he had the left saying they liked rats and filth because he called out the city of Baltimore for what it is - a city of rats and filth.

Im waiting for you to criticize Trump for his efforts on the opioid epidemic and come out in favor of addiction.

Mike Drop

That’s not what he wrote at all. I suggest a re-read.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

MikeDrop

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:12 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Crazy stuff.

Mike Drop

It’s a direct quote. Perhaps you meant to say that’s not what he meant?

Mike Drop

Aaron747

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:25 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:

Crazy stuff.

Mike Drop

Mike Drop

You put words in his mouth - ‘we should be happy’ and then failed to address his actual point - which was an obvious double standard between Russian investments in Kentucky and Greenland. Not remotely adult dude.

MikeDrop

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:43 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Mike Drop

You put words in his mouth - ‘we should be happy’ and then failed to address his actual point - which was an obvious double standard between Russian investments in Kentucky and Greenland. Not remotely adult dude.

I quoted his exact words, so, no, I did not put words in his mouth. You may not like my interpretation of his exact words, or the words that I chose to quote, but I certainly did not put words in his mouth. To be honest I did not take the same meaning from his statement that you did, so I did not see a problem with quoting only a portion of the posters text. That’s the problem with irony or sarcasm on the internet, you leave it to the reader to get the point you are trying to make.

Mike Drop

Aaron747

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:50 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:

Mike Drop

I quoted his exact words, so, no, I did not put words in his mouth. You may not like my interpretation of his exact words, or the words that I chose to quote, but I certainly did not put words in his mouth. To be honest I did not take the same meaning from his statement that you did, so I did not see a problem with quoting only a portion of the posters text. That’s the problem with irony or sarcasm on the internet, you leave it to the reader to get the point you are trying to make.

Mike Drop

That’s all irrelevant - there was no interpretation to be made because his post spelled out and questioned a double standard - and that was logically what bore response to. Anything else is illogical. He did not even use ‘happy’ in the context you replied with. Man ya’ll would have flunked right out of my critical thinking class.

WIederling

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:03 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
You really mean to tell me that we cannot allow Greenland to open itself up to Russian or Chinese mining and development, but we should be more than happy when a Russian company is the main shareholder of a Kentucky plant (which Moscow Mitch was instrumental in allowing since he blocked sanctions against said company)?

"Oh but that company saved jobs in Appalachia!"...so, Greenlanders don't deserve the same opportunities? Double standard much?

Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi.

( i.e. there is US and there is them.
:-)
Murphy is an optimist

anrec80

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:13 pm

VSMUT wrote:

Why care about local population? Let them do whatever they want.

stratclub

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:14 pm

casinterest wrote:
Trump is just an imbecile, If he wanted real strategy, he would offer to by North Korea.

He is a brilliant strategist. While U.S. sanctions are still on against North Korea he offered North Korea the outstretch hand of friendship and the opportunity of normalization on the world stage in order to help bring the possibility of the North and the South officially ending the Korean war and reuniting.

Certainly From the United States point of view, the ball is in Kim Jung-un's court, and with the possibility of prosperity for North Korea, Kimmy boy might just ditch North Korea's brutal past. Trump has done more to bring piece to the Korean peninsula than any President since the end of fighting in Korea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea–South_Korea_relations

casinterest

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:22 pm

stratclub wrote:
casinterest wrote:

He is a brilliant strategist. While U.S. sanctions are still on against North Korea he offered North Korea the outstretch hand of friendship and the opportunity of normalization on the world stage in order to help bring the possibility of the North and the South officially ending the Korean war and reuniting.

Certainly From the United States point of view, the ball is in Kim Jung-un's court, and with the possibility of prosperity for North Korea, Kimmy boy might just ditch North Korea's brutal past. Trump has done more to bring piece to the Korean peninsula than any President since the end of fighting in Korea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea–South_Korea_relations

Trump has done nothing but suck up to a dictator and abuser of human rights, while plunging the US economy to the edge of a recession. Buying Greenland makes zero sense for a long term strategy, but maybe since Trump is learning he is horrible at foreign trade negotiations, he might take from other dictators and just take over the land.
Where ever you go, there you are.

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:44 pm

stratclub wrote:

When Trump does it, it's good. When Obama does it, it's bad. Remember when Obama offered Iran a hand of peace if Iran unclenched its fist?

What is the difference here? One was willing to meet with an oil power and a pre-nuclear nation while the other met with a runt that was already a nuclear power but without technology to even get it off the ground. Both were willing to meet without preconditions but one got flack 24/7 from conservative media, claiming he would bow down to people that hate us, while the other got praise and glory (almost to the level of DPRK TV).

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:34 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Who is "you"? You can do a search on this forum and I've been among the few folks that have given Russia the benefit of the doubt by saying that they're a rival, but not an enemy (of course, this was before the 2016 election, but even then, you've never seen me say "Russia is our enemy", or even worse: "Russia is our friend").

Generalize much?

Dutchy

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:35 pm

Some inside in how Trump used to run its businesses (into the ground) and looks like how he runs the United States of America.

A former Trump executive speaks out:

One of the cons, when we elected a businessman as the president, is that he would bring some discipline and perhaps some real strategy to the government and obviously how we operate internationally.

Trump really has never had that capability ― he wasn’t strategic in his business.

It was really just the thought of the day, he did things on the spur on the moment. He bought the Taj Mahal because it was the biggest. He bought an airline because he always wanted to own an airline. He didn’t bring any economic discipline to how he operated the business and he had no strategy to really grow the business.

It’s pretty obvious at this point that he’s operating today the government in the exact same manner. He just has an idea and he implements it. It’s not part of a strategy, it’s just things that Donald Trump wants to do.

"There's a mean streak that runs through Donald Trump's heart," says Jack O'Donnell, former President and COO of Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino. "There is a piece of this that is almost sociopathic, that he likes to hurt people. ... It's who he is."

Link to the article

So given this description, it is no wonder that he likes to buy Greenland without considering the consequences.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:52 pm

Dutchy wrote:
A former Trump executive speaks out:

I give no more than 5 replies before we see someone say that the guy is not a valid source and that he's (a liberal/jealous/liar/etc).

Flaps

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:31 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
slider wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Yes...visionary. More like ironic. Aren't you among those who argue that places are treating immigrants better than they do their homeless/poor (heck, we have a thread open on this) and that instead of letting immigrants use our resources, we should take care of our own?

How does buying Greenland help achieve that goal? We can't afford to subsidize healthcare or education, we have to cut food stamps and other social programs...but somehow we have enough money for war, for tax cuts, and now to buy an island?

Those "social" programs of which you speak provide negative returns on investment. Purchasing a highly strategic island loaded with natural resources on the other hand is quite the opposite. I don't see anyone regretting the Louisiana Purchase or Alaska. Do you?

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:41 pm

Flaps wrote:
Those "social" programs of which you speak provide negative returns on investment. Purchasing a highly strategic island loaded with natural resources on the other hand is quite the opposite. I don't see anyone regretting the Louisiana Purchase or Alaska. Do you?

Wow...you're comparing 18th and 19th century acquisitions to today? You really think there really is a parallel between a time when land was unclaimed and everyone enacted the Monopoly Doctrine (claim everything you land on and, if already claimed, barter to get it or take it by force) and today's age when all land has been claimed and countries will likely not part ways? Do you really think the US can better serve Greenland than Denmark can? Why isn't Denmark entitled to have the same benefits from Greenland (a place they own)? This is almost like me telling my neighbor to move out because I can make better use of their house than they do.

You still didn't answer the question, however. We're drowning in debt and can't afford to take care of our own; why is this purchase needed and how does it bring a positive net return? How does it deal with the opioid epidemic or homelessness or wage disparity? Or the elephant in the room: the deficit and total debt?