Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

prebennorholm

Re: Trump wants to buy Greenland

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:31 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
You really mean to tell me that we cannot allow Greenland to open itself up to Russian or Chinese mining and development, but we should be more than happy when a Russian company is the main shareholder of a Kentucky plant (which Moscow Mitch was instrumental in allowing since he blocked sanctions against said company)?

"Oh but that company saved jobs in Appalachia!"...so, Greenlanders don't deserve the same opportunities? Double standard much?

While Americans sure can keep an eye on what is going on in Kentucky, then it isn't the same way possible for Greenlanders to watch what is going on in Greenland. Simply because there are 6-7000 times more American eyes.

Therefore any foreign activity in Greenland shall be by businesses from countries where business and state are totally separate entities, and it has to be from countries with government principles similar to Greenland (Denmark) with totally transparent legal processes.

That excludes half of the countries on this planet including Russia and China.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

bennett123

Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:06 pm

What will the people of Greenland gain from becoming part of the US?.

slider

Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:18 pm

Flaps wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
slider wrote:

One might also call it visionary.

Perhaps if you stopped with the kneejerk ORANGE MAN BAD schtick and pay attention to the motives and the political backdrop of Greenland, you'd realize why this makes sense.

Yes...visionary. More like ironic. Aren't you among those who argue that places are treating immigrants better than they do their homeless/poor (heck, we have a thread open on this) and that instead of letting immigrants use our resources, we should take care of our own?

How does buying Greenland help achieve that goal? We can't afford to subsidize healthcare or education, we have to cut food stamps and other social programs...but somehow we have enough money for war, for tax cuts, and now to buy an island?

Those "social" programs of which you speak provide negative returns on investment. Purchasing a highly strategic island loaded with natural resources on the other hand is quite the opposite. I don't see anyone regretting the Louisiana Purchase or Alaska. Do you?

And don't forget Seward's Folly, which was only one of the most brilliant acquisitions ever. Incidentally, it was Seward who first proposed Greenland as well. Funny how things go.

VSMUT

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:22 pm

bennett123 wrote:

"Freedom™"

tommy1808

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:54 pm

Flaps wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
slider wrote:

One might also call it visionary.

Perhaps if you stopped with the kneejerk ORANGE MAN BAD schtick and pay attention to the motives and the political backdrop of Greenland, you'd realize why this makes sense.

Yes...visionary. More like ironic. Aren't you among those who argue that places are treating immigrants better than they do their homeless/poor (heck, we have a thread open on this) and that instead of letting immigrants use our resources, we should take care of our own?

How does buying Greenland help achieve that goal? We can't afford to subsidize healthcare or education, we have to cut food stamps and other social programs...but somehow we have enough money for war, for tax cuts, and now to buy an island?

Those "social" programs of which you speak provide negative returns on investment.

So, will this be "one country, two systems" or will greenlanders be stripped of their healthcare?

Purchasing a highly strategic island loaded with natural resources on the other hand is quite the opposite. I don't see anyone regretting the Louisiana Purchase or Alaska. Do you?

Small issue with that, what kind of resources Greenland has isn't exactly unknown, and the price would obviously be accordingly. And since the money they can make from exploiting it is the same if they just sell mining licenses, there would need to be a premium to actually get souveranity over it, and hence the return of investment would be negative.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

JJJ

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:30 pm

When was the last time two sovereign countries sat down and sold some territory to the other party anyway?

WIederling

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:55 pm

JJJ wrote:
When was the last time two sovereign countries sat down and sold some territory to the other party anyway?

Alaska afair?
Murphy is an optimist

jdstJD

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:43 pm

bgm wrote:
stratclub wrote:
Being an American born citizen where would yo deport him to?

The same place Trump was planning to deport Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib, and Ayanna Pressley to? :duck:

I was just about to say the same thing! Not to mention the fact that he fantasizes about deporting anyone who he thinks is “Mexican” because of how they look regardless of whether they are natural born or naturalized citizens.
Lawyer, frequent air traveler and aviation enthusiast.

zakuivcustom

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:57 am

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/20/politics ... index.html

Ahh...so Trump is throwing his childish temper tantrum again.

BTW, if anyone still want to believe that Trump didn't say anything about buying Greenland, there we go - he said so himself that he's postponing the meeting with Denmark b/c Greenland is "not for sale".

johnboy

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:00 am

MikeDrop wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:
Has anyone actually asked President Trump if he said this? Has anyone asked if this is policy? Not as far as I can tell.

We live in a world, Mike, where there is news that the US president wants to buy Greenland and almost everyone says, yeah sure, the current US president might have said that, why not?

Actually, this is incorrect. This is not “news”. It is an anonymous allegation or rumor. And it is incorrect to say that the rumor is that Trump wants to buy Greenland. The rumor is that he asked about it with various levels of seriousness.

Pretty thin stuff to be getting all worked up over, but it’s been this way since November of 2016.

Mike Drop

It’s always nice to look back and see all the mental gymnastics that go on in trying to justify Trump. The words are chosen *so* carefully to give the inevitable plausible deniability claim down the road.

News flash: The madman on the toilet sending out a.m. Tweets isn’t playing 64th-level chess. He’s just taking a dump on the country.

johnboy

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:02 am

slider wrote:
Flaps wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Those "social" programs of which you speak provide negative returns on investment. Purchasing a highly strategic island loaded with natural resources on the other hand is quite the opposite. I don't see anyone regretting the Louisiana Purchase or Alaska. Do you?

And don't forget Seward's Folly, which was only one of the most brilliant acquisitions ever. Incidentally, it was Seward who first proposed Greenland as well. Funny how things go.

The bar for visionary sure has taken a nose dive these days.

SanDiegoLover

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:51 am

bennett123 wrote:

2 Democratic Senators and 1 Democratic Representative in the House plus an automatic +3 electoral votes for the Democratic nominee for POTUS?

SanDiegoLover

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:53 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/20/politics/trump-cancels-copenhagen/index.html

Ahh...so Trump is throwing his childish temper tantrum again.

BTW, if anyone still want to believe that Trump didn't say anything about buying Greenland, there we go - he said so himself that he's postponing the meeting with Denmark b/c Greenland is "not for sale".

If this isn’t proof that Trump was dead serious (yet insane) about buying Greenland to the RussIan trolls and Trumpets apologists on this site, I don’t know what is.

SanDiegoLover

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:57 am

VSMUT wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

"Freedom™"

Freedom to die from America’s woeful healthcare system or armed to the teeth, mentally unstable, local, gun nutter.

Tugger

Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:38 am

SanDiegoLover wrote:
If this isn’t proof that Trump was dead serious (yet insane) about buying Greenland to the RussIan trolls and Trumpets apologists on this site, I don’t know what is.

Nah, it's just pettiness. Which is no surprise from Trump.

Let's all say it together: He continues to be a poor president.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

bennett123

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:42 am

So now the people of Denmark will be denied a visit.

Imagine that they will be gutted.

bgm

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:51 am

Tugger wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:

Nah, it's just pettiness. Which is no surprise from Trump.

Let's all say it together: He continues to be a poor president.

Tugg

*Piss-poor President.

At least Denmark can rejoice in avoiding the orange turd disgracing them with his presence.

VSMUT

Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:01 am

SanDiegoLover wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

"Freedom™"

Freedom to die from America’s woeful healthcare system or armed to the teeth, mentally unstable, local, gun nutter.

Incidentally, Greenland does have a very liberal policy on hunting rifles, possibly equal to or more than the US.

B777LRF

Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:10 am

The vast majority of the Danish people is jubilant today. Not because Greenland is not for sale to anyone, but because the Orange Menace will not be casting a shadow on our doorstep.

We enjoyed visits from 42, 43 and 44; 45 can stay the hell away, thank you very much. Shitting on the most basic rules of diplomatic behaviour is perhaps acceptable in the boroughs of New York, but will not fly in a more civilised part of the world.
Signature. You just read one.

AirPacific747

Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:20 am

My god he is embarrassing. Good thing there’s election in the US next year. Hopefully the Americans will be smarter next time.

Dutchy

Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:26 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
My god he is embarrassing. Good thing there’s election in the US next year. Hopefully the Americans will be smarter next time.

You just found this out?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

scbriml

Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:34 am

stratclub wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Trump is just an imbecile, If he wanted real strategy, he would offer to by North Korea.

He is a brilliant strategist. While U.S. sanctions are still on against North Korea he offered North Korea the outstretch hand of friendship and the opportunity of normalization on the world stage in order to help bring the possibility of the North and the South officially ending the Korean war and reuniting.

Certainly From the United States point of view, the ball is in Kim Jung-un's court, and with the possibility of prosperity for North Korea, Kimmy boy might just ditch North Korea's brutal past. Trump has done more to bring piece to the Korean peninsula than any President since the end of fighting in Korea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea–South_Korea_relations

Not sure if serious, or seriously trolling. :scratchchin:

Brilliant strategist? So it was his strategy to give NK a global platform. I mean, I'll give him credit for stopping all those NK missile tests. Wait, what? Oh....

Now the petulant man-child has cancelled his planned visit to Greenland because they had the temerity to tell him he couldn't buy it! :rotfl:

How are those Chinese tariffs working? Oh yes, another brilliant strategy. At least he got that beautiful wall built....

Trump is a global joke. :rotfl:

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

VSMUT

Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:42 am

B777LRF wrote:
We enjoyed visits from 43

Nobody enjoyed that visit.

olle

Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:12 am

Mr Trump just cancelled state visit to Denmark because Denmark prime minister do not want to discuss purchase of greenland.

You cannot make up us forreign policy at the moment. The reality is more increadable then the fantasy.

A few weeks ago with asap rocky he considered the situationwith law enforcement in sweden a hostige situation.

Jews are disloyal

Nazi white extremists fine people.

Where shall I end?

BN747

Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:19 am

bennett123 wrote:

Have the Greenlanders ask the American citizens in Puerto Rico that question...a foregone conclusion if there ever was one.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

seahawk

Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:22 am

A presidency more like a reality TV show than anything else. If it gets us in the news, it is good.

zkojq

Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:35 am

MareBorealis wrote:
Oh yes he said that.

https://news.sky.com/story/donald-trump ... l-11788813

Donald Trump has confirmed he is interested in buying Greenland, saying it would be "essentially a large real estate deal".

Asked about reports that he was exploring the purchase of the 850,000 sq mile island from Denmark, the US president said he was "looking at it" as "strategically for the US it would be nice".

;)

So that basically confirms that he believes in climate change then.
First to fly the 787-9

scbriml

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:25 am

scbriml wrote:
Now the petulant man-child has cancelled his planned visit to Greenland because they had the temerity to tell him he couldn't buy it!

In hindsight, I've decided this was quite insulting....

to all the petulant children of the World!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Dutchy

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:48 am

olle wrote:
Mr Trump just cancelled state visit to Denmark because Denmark prime minister do not want to discuss purchase of greenland.

You cannot make up us forreign policy at the moment. The reality is more increadable then the fantasy.

A few weeks ago with asap rocky he considered the situationwith law enforcement in sweden a hostige situation.

Jews are disloyal

Nazi white extremists fine people.

Where shall I end?

:checkmark: South park was right when they decided not to give mr. Trump campaign any more attention in 2015/2016. Everything that they made up was outdone by reality by the time it was supposed to air. And that is still the case. I wonder how historians look back at this timeframe in 50 years................

As for canceling the state visit, there is nothing to gain from him showing up, just let him stay in Washington.

sabenapilot

Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:15 am

So not only is the rumour now confirmed to be actually true, it also shows it was the main reason for the state visit, al least in his mind?!

Honnestly: in what a world does this man live, when he genuinely thinks he can make an unsolicitated offer to buy a piece of a country during a state visit and subsequently cancel the visit when it turns out his offer is kindly rejected?

Tells a lot about what kind of a mindset this man comes with during state visits…
Weird he didn't offer to buy part of the UK when being there a few weeks ago, although in all fairness, he's pretty sure to be getting all of it for free, looking at how the UK is basically throwing itself into his arms because of Brexit! ;)

KFTG

Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:24 am

Trump is an embarrassment.
Even more embarrassing are his knuckle-dragging supporters who continue to apologize for the BS.

777222LR

Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:49 am

It's gotten to the point where I just don't have any more words for Trump...every day it's something new, embarrassing, and idiotic. He's a tabloid president. He's a Kim Kardashian president. He lives in a fantasy world, where free press, or any press, is his ultimate goal. As much as he hates them, he loves them.

I look at president Trump and he reminds me of the things I should not be. Historically, we've viewed the presidents as someone to look up to. But honestly, how can you, as a parent, say to your children, "The president is a roll model and should be respected." I honestly don't think that anyone, republican or democrat would say that to their child. To the people that vote for him, I get that you are entertained, but when is it just...enough? When are you going to get tired of the reality TV drama? It's not a TV show that ends when you turn off the TV...it's now making policy that affects the lives of everyone.

You know what is the most insulting thing I find about Trump is? He assumes I'm a moron...he assumes you are a moron, and that we are incapable of seeing through his bs. He's just translucent enough that some people don't.

scbriml

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:06 pm

sabenapilot wrote:
Weird he didn't offer to buy part of the UK when being there a few weeks ago, although in all fairness, he's pretty sure to be getting all of it for free, looking at how the UK is basically throwing itself into his arms because of Brexit! ;)

He probably thinks he already owns Scotland because he has a golf course there. Plus, the Scots always provide a warm welcome:

mdsh00

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:17 pm

KFTG wrote:
Trump is an embarrassment.
Even more embarrassing are his knuckle-dragging supporters who continue to apologize for the BS.

You got that wrong. Trump supporters celebrate his BS and cheer him on.
Last edited by mdsh00 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BartSimpson

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:17 pm

The funniest part of it was that he actually said in his tweet that "Denmark is a very special country with incredible people"... Who does he think actually believes his superior sucking? As a Dane I wold be extremely annoyed by this kind of brown-nosing.

Aesma

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:18 pm

VSMUT wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
But what really sets his level of intellectual capacity, is the notion it would just 'be a large real estate deal'. How anybody with just two functioning braincells would reach that conclusion is beyond me. Then again I, along with almost every carbon based creature in the universe, have more functioning braincells than individual #1. The only exception being a minority of the US electorate.

Has he even considered what would happen to the local population if he could do it? Or does he simply plan on deporting them off to Denmark?

What did he do with tenants when he bought apartments ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

DTVG

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:28 pm

Trump aside, what is the issue with the US buying Greenland? Purely from a geopolitical point of view I see advantages for both the US, Denmark & the EU. Russia and China will probably increasingly be flexing their muscles in the region.

tommy1808

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:40 pm

DTVG wrote:
Trump aside, what is the issue with the US buying Greenland?

people living there may have a problem with suddenly being subject to US law? And as pointed out earlier... Greenland has universal tax funded healthcare ... are they going to lose that, are other Americans getting that or is it two systems, one country....

Purely from a geopolitical point of view I see advantages for both the US, Denmark & the EU. Russia and China will probably increasingly be flexing their muscles in the region.

from a purely geo-strategic point of view that is exactly what makes it completely unattractive to see it, especially for Denmark, because that makes Denmark important to the US.

If Russia or China invaded Greenland, the US would defend it anyways, as they can not allow that to happen for geo-strategic reasons . ...... aside of neither one having any shot of forcing a stay on Greenland even if they wanted to. Don´t forget that the armed forces in the EU alone number multiple times what either one of them has. .... and don´t forget, Greenland is covered by the North Atlantic treaty, so that is a no-go in any case.

best regards
Thomas

bgm

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:29 pm

scbriml wrote:
sabenapilot wrote:

He probably thinks he already owns Scotland because he has a golf course there. Plus, the Scots always provide a warm welcome:

Ha, reminds me of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pbTmXsfiYk

casinterest

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:30 pm

Does anyone think this was just a ruse to deflect attention from the fact that Trump is an Anti-Semite that caved to the Gun Lobby again?
Where ever you go, there you are.

AirPacific747

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:42 pm

Dutchy wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

You just found this out?

Nope, and what if I did? What relevance does it have? Please try and stay on topic instead of derailing it.

Thanks.

Kiwirob

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:54 pm

SanDiegoLover wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

"Freedom™"

I think you'll find that Greelanders are well armed, they need to be, there's big white bears which can kill them.

einsteinboricua

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:00 pm

Someone should Photoshop Trump's grumpy face into this Simon Bolivar painting because that's exactly how I picture him when faced with rejection.

The captions read: "No, whatever. I don't want anything anymore."

"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

BartSimpson

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:02 pm

DTVG wrote:
Trump aside, what is the issue with the US buying Greenland? Purely from a geopolitical point of view I see advantages for both the US, Denmark & the EU. Russia and China will probably increasingly be flexing their muscles in the region.

There can be no "Trump aside" because the whole issue is "Trump". He brought up the idea, he acts like he can just buy an island like he buys candy in a store, and then acts royally pissed when the counterppart even refuses to talk about it.

What would yopu think if the German Chancellor just informs the US to buy Minnesota and Wisconsin because "it's full of Germans anyway"?

zakuivcustom

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:07 pm

Dutchy wrote:
As for canceling the state visit, there is nothing to gain from him showing up, just let him stay in Washington.

More vacation time in Mar-a-Lago! MAGA!

SanDiegoLover wrote:
2 Democratic Senators and 1 Democratic Representative in the House plus an automatic +3 electoral votes for the Democratic nominee for POTUS?

There's no guarantee that Greenland will actually become a state, instead of a Commonwealth (like Puerto Rico) or Territory (like Guam).

scbriml

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:20 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:

My Ass Golfing Again?

Dutchy

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:28 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
There's no guarantee that Greenland will actually become a state, instead of a Commonwealth (like Puerto Rico) or Territory (like Guam).

Uhhh, almost guaranteed that Greenland will not be part of the US in any capacity or form.

tommy1808

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:31 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

He probably cancelled after realizing how much not going to Mar-a-Lago would personally cost him.

Best regards
Thomas

zakuivcustom

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:37 pm

Dutchy wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

Uhhh, almost guaranteed that Greenland will not be part of the US in any capacity or form.

I should have been more clear - even if (and it's a BIG if, b/c I agree with you that it just ain't going to happen) Greenland become part of US, it's highly likely that it won't be a state but rather some commonwealth. In another word, people thinking that Greenland will somehow add 3 EV to Dems are dreaming - ain't going to happen.

DTVG

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:00 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
DTVG wrote:

There can be no "Trump aside" because the whole issue is "Trump". He brought up the idea, he acts like he can just buy an island like he buys candy in a store, and then acts royally pissed when the counterppart even refuses to talk about it.

What would yopu think if the German Chancellor just informs the US to buy Minnesota and Wisconsin because "it's full of Germans anyway"?

Well ideally Greenlands voters should decide. If they think the US offers more (which as tommy1808 pointed out isn't quite sure), why not go with the US.
Personally I don't really see a big connection of Greenland to either Denmark (apart from the generous subsidies and the history) or the US. Both are/would be their colonial master. PS: In an ideal world the vote should also include the option to become independent.