ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Filming of Movies in Morocco

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:04 pm

Why has Morocco become a popular filming location for movies and TV shows in the past few years. Examples of movies filmed in Morocco over the past few years include the remake of Alladin, Game of Thrones, Mission Impossible: Rouge Nation, Men in Black: International, Aquaman, and the Bond film Spectre.

910A

Re: Filming of Movies in Morocco

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:37 am

This article answers your question. https://www.cnn.com/2016/11/07/africa/m ... index.html
A safer alternative, allows filming of sensitive topics, the military at your service, has a vibrant film scene and a long history of film making are some of the reasons.

Aesma

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:45 am

Well it's a safe place to film in the "Middle East". I guess the country has also promoted itself, offered incentives, it's very common these days.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:22 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Why has Morocco become a popular filming location for movies and TV shows in the past few years. Examples of movies filmed in Morocco over the past few years include the remake of Alladin, Game of Thrones, Mission Impossible: Rouge Nation, Men in Black: International, Aquaman, and the Bond film Spectre.

Bond has been shot in Morocco way earlier than that - Tim Dalton's debut The Living Daylights were shot mostly in Morocco.

The Moroccans have built an infrastructure that's conducive & cost effective for shooting, so why not?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:40 am

Aesma wrote:
Well it's a safe place to film in the "Middle East". I guess the country has also promoted itself, offered incentives, it's very common these days.

The fact that Morocco is safe along with the large number of movies being filmed there has lead to a huge increase in the number of foreign tourists visiting Morocco. Visitor numbers went up from 3 million in 2008 to 11 million in 2017.

Dieuwer

Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:19 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

The fact that Morocco is safe along with the large number of movies being filmed there has lead to a huge increase in the number of foreign tourists visiting Morocco. Visitor numbers went up from 3 million in 2008 to 11 million in 2017.

..,or the fact that the Atlas Film Studios located in Morocco at 322,000 square-foot is the largest in the world. Some well known movies have filmed here: "Gladiator," "Ben Hur," "Kingdom of Heaven," "The Mummy," "The Passion of the Christ," and, most recently, "Game of Thrones" and "Aladdin."

https://www.businessinsider.com/worlds- ... nes-2019-1

https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2016/0 ... hollywood/

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/atlas-film-studios

Kiwirob

Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:22 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Really safe, I don’t think so.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/18/worl ... rocco.html

TWA772LR

Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:26 pm

Blackhawk Down was filmed in Morocco as well.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Aesma

Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:31 pm

Kiwirob : probably safer than the US, and nobody balks at the idea of going there.

I've been to Morocco 5 or 6 times, only for work, and my company had me change hotels to avoid being in one full of French people, with a French brand on the facade, but it's just an easy precaution to take, I'm probably more likely to be the victim of a terrorist attack here in France !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:20 pm

Aesma wrote:
Kiwirob : probably safer than the US, and nobody balks at the idea of going there.

I've been to Morocco 5 or 6 times, only for work, and my company had me change hotels to avoid being in one full of French people, with a French brand on the facade, but it's just an easy precaution to take, I'm probably more likely to be the victim of a terrorist attack here in France !

Morocco is also probably safer than Britain.

B777LRF

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:41 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:

Foreign movies have been made in Morocco since 1930, but really took off in the '60s and '70s. Among the more well-known titles you'll find Lawrence of Arabia (1962), Patton (1970), Living Daylights (1987) and Gladiator (2000).

So to say 'past few years' is patently incorrect, albeit there has been an uptick since around 2005.

What draws studios to Morocco is a very accommodating local authority, low costs, good weather and lots of space for locations.
Signature. You just read one.

TSS

Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:02 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

..,or the fact that the Atlas Film Studios located in Morocco at 322,000 square-foot is the largest in the world. Some well known movies have filmed here: "Gladiator," "Ben Hur," "Kingdom of Heaven," "The Mummy," "The Passion of the Christ," and, most recently, "Game of Thrones" and "Aladdin."

In that article they keep referring to a 322,000 square-foot studio as "the largest in the world", but by studio standards 322,000 square feet isn't that large at all. That's only a little over seven acres... big, but places like Universal Studios in California cover hundreds of acres. If, however, they have mistakenly used the term "studio" instead of "sound stage", then a seven acre plus sound stage is unquestionably a whopper and may indeed be "the largest in the world".
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Dieuwer

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:05 pm

TSS wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

In that article they keep referring to a 322,000 square-foot studio as "the largest in the world", but by studio standards 322,000 square feet isn't that large at all. That's only a little over seven acres... big, but places like Universal Studios in California cover hundreds of acres. If, however, they have mistakenly used the term "studio" instead of "sound stage", then a seven acre plus sound stage is unquestionably a whopper and may indeed be "the largest in the world".

Perhaps they count together the back lots of the Atlas AND CLA studios in Ouarzazate? 1) Atlas at 100,000 sqm, 2) CLA at 1,560,000 sqm. Total = 1,660,000 sqm = 410 acres.

http://www.definitelyouarzazate.com/facilities.html

readytotaxi

Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:44 pm

The country has been smart, it all about money, they made themselves attractive and accomodating, they have desert and snow capped mountains and some great beaches and good weather. No wonder film makers love it.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.