Dutchy
Topic Author

Whom will be the Republican candidate when Trump drops out?

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:45 pm

“OH MY GOD, THIS JACKASS”: THE MOOCH EXPLAINS WHY HE THINKS TRUMP IS “CRAZY,” “NARCISSISTIC,” AND A “PAPER TIGER” WHO WILL DROP OUT BY MARCH 2020

Link to interview with Anthony Scaramucci

So how does that work if Trump actually drops out in March next year, as Scaramucci predicts? Whom will be on the ballot for the Republican party and would he stand a chance?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Aaron747

Re: Whom will be the Republican candidate when Trump drops out?

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:52 pm

Wow lotsa stuff in that interview is gonna trigger 45 big-time...
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

seb146

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:52 pm

I don't think he is going to drop out. I think he is just going to spin his wheels and keep campaigning against Hillary and Obama. He is using his 2016 rhetoric of "I am the only one who can lead" and "you have to vote for me".

I think there will be a serious third party run by someone right but more sane. Someone like Rubio or Romney. That will split the Republican vote and Democrats take the White House.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Dutchy
Topic Author

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:00 pm

What if a single party candidate drops out in March of an election year, what would happen? A new race for the ticket? Or something else.

seb146

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:05 pm

Dutchy wrote:
What if a single party candidate drops out in March of an election year, what would happen? A new race for the ticket? Or something else.

The conventions do not take place until the summer. It would probably be someone who can raise a lot of money quickly. That is why I am thinking Mitt Romney. Possibly Mike Pence.

MikeDrop

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:31 pm

Dutchy wrote:
“OH MY GOD, THIS JACKASS”: THE MOOCH EXPLAINS WHY HE THINKS TRUMP IS “CRAZY,” “NARCISSISTIC,” AND A “PAPER TIGER” WHO WILL DROP OUT BY MARCH 2020

So how does that work if Trump actually drops out in March next year, as Scaramucci predicts? Whom will be on the ballot for the Republican party and would he stand a chance?

I remember seeing here that Trump would resign before the end of 2018, then 2019, now he’s going to drop out of the election by March.

Do you actually believe any of this?

Mike Drop

Dutchy
Topic Author

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:43 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I remember seeing here that Trump would resign before the end of 2018, then 2019, now he’s going to drop out of the election by March.

Do you actually believe any of this?

Mike Drop

Doesn't matter what I believe, it was because of mr. Scaramucci's interview, I thought about the question of what would happen if mr. Scaramucci was right. Nothing more, no hidden agenda. Just curiosity.

mham001

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:50 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Doesn't matter what I believe, it was because of mr. Scaramucci's interview, I thought about the question of what would happen if mr. Scaramucci was right. Nothing more, no hidden agenda. Just curiosity.

Then your title should read IF, not when.

IF he were to drop out late in the game, it would probably hand the office to the Democrat, but that depends on who they decide upon, which probably won't be by March either. Just another dumb prognostication.

777222LR

Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:12 pm

Donald Trump's ego will not let him drop out.

TTailedTiger

Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:29 pm

The TDS is strong today.

maps4ltd

Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:46 pm

This guy lasted 10 days at the WH. I would take everything he says with a grain of very small salt.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

TARTRESED

Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:46 pm

seb146 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

The conventions do not take place until the summer. It would probably be someone who can raise a lot of money quickly. That is why I am thinking Mitt Romney. Possibly Mike Pence.

Please no, Romney is looney, but Pence is just a disaster mentally.

ltbewr

Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:55 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
This guy lasted 10 days at the WH. I would take everything he says with a grain of very small salt.[/quote
]
777222LR wrote:
Donald Trump's ego will not let him drop out.

I can only see Trump dropping out for 2 reasons:

1) He has a major physical or brain health problem (massive heart attack, stroke, open onset of Alzheimer's Disease which his father had) where he resigns or others have to invoke the 25th Amendment. Lyndon Johnson in 1968 quit his re-election campaign in part from his health.

2) If overwhelming physical or digital documentation of massive corruption of Trump closely before or during his term of office is produced by the ongoing investigations by House Committees and others that lead to Impeachment proceedings.

He is still the incumbent which is very difficult to overcome by an opponent. Republican party leaders won't want to relinquish without a massive fight the power they have under a Republican President and many won't dare to take him on out of fear of losing their next election or goodies for their state or district. He will have a massive war chest of campaign funds/bribes from his working class base and rich supporters. The Democratic candidate is likely to have serious flaws personally or in policy that Trump will exploit with no mercy.

If Trump was unable to run in 2020, most likely VP Pence would be the candidate and likely lose.

NIKV69

Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:06 pm

Drop out? I thought he was going to resign halfway through his first term?
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die,

Ken777

Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:21 pm

The biggest hope for Trump leaving before the election would be legal issue on a criminal nature. Thew DOJ has a "policy" that the President cannot be Indicted, but that is just a policy that can quickly be reversed if needed. States, like New York, have no such restrictions.

Look back at Vice President Agnew and how fast he left office. IMO Trump has committed far more crimes than Agnew and there may well be handcuffs waiting for Trump when he leaves office - making a "deal" before an arrest pretty attractive.

olle

Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:30 pm

I am not shure mr Pence makes me sleep better then Mr Trump.

The rest of the leadership like mr Bolton scares the s**t out of me as well ;-)

Aesma

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:05 am

Even if he sees a loss coming, it's better for him to lose the election, than to not run. He/his supporters can always claim there was a conspiracy against him, that way.

It would also be better for the country, incidentally, so that people don't get the idea that he was a normal president.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:11 am

We had the case in France incidentally, president François Hollande was unpopular even in his own party, he chose to not run for reelection, which was unprecedented, that didn't help his reputation much, but he was facing a crushing loss, not even making it to the second round, so it's a bit different than the US system.

At the same election (2017), former president Nicolas Sarkozy, who had lost to Hollande in 2012, did try a bid for his party's nomination, and was crushed by his former prime minister, comebacks are not really a good idea these days.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aaron747

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:37 am

maps4ltd wrote:
This guy lasted 10 days at the WH. I would take everything he says with a grain of very small salt.

With the track record of this WH, that basically has zero meaning. Only the sycophants with zero ability to think independently have had longevity.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

jdstJD

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:47 am

TARTRESED wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Seeing what has happened with Trump makes a lot of people realize that we took many other normal and reasonable republicans for granted in the past. Even today there are many republicans that I think would make a very good president. When you have something so beyond horrible you appreciate what you could have had even more. :(
Lawyer, frequent air traveler and aviation enthusiast.

DIRECTFLT

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:31 am

I don't agree with your premise Dutchy. I do not believe that President Trump has plans to drop out of this race.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

seb146

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:28 am

TARTRESED wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I know but if this scenario does happen, who would be able to raise that amount of money quickly? I know Marco Rubio or Jon Huntsman would appeal to moderates. I will still vote for the Democrat but the Huntsman would make me think twice. I have family in Ogden and researched him during the mine collapse there. He did some good things for Utah and spoke very well and had compassion.

seb146

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:30 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Drop out? I thought he was going to resign halfway through his first term?

He and Lindsey Graham are making plans for his third term.

This guy has done and said so many crazy things, none of it surprises many of us.

910A

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:28 am

My educated guess if an issue that comes up preventing Trump for running for re-election especially in March or later, it will be an open convention and the establishment Republicans will do what ever possible to get Nikki Haley the nomination.

afcjets

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:16 am

My prediction is Pence will drop out, not Trump. He will claim he had a revelation from God to become SOS and he will say Trump accepted his offer. This will make way for Nikki Haley to become Trump's running mate and will win back the women vote while keeping the evangelical vote in tact. I think this is why Nikki left, it also distances her from any future controversy in the first term.

Aaron747

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:20 am

afcjets wrote:
My prediction is Pence will drop out, not Trump. He will claim he had a revelation from God to become SOS and he will say Trump accepted his offer. This will make way for Nikki Haley to become Trump's running mate and will win back the women vote while keeping the evangelical vote in tact. I think this is why Nikki left, it also distances her from any future controversy in the first term.

Have you been paying attention? Putting Haley on the ticket will not get suburban women back - they don’t like POTUS’s character and they are exhausted by the chaos flying around him on TV. They want the volume down and that’s not going to happen with 45 around.

casinterest

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:05 am

Trump will not drop out.

You know who will ? Evangelicals.

They are going to be destroyed in this election as they have supported Trump, a man that has broken most, if not all of the 10 commandments. There is not going to be much salvation in oppressing those with differing views(abortion, gay marriage) as their churches are destroyed with the exodus of young members.

The GOP under Trump has become an embarrassment as suburbia parents have to explain to their kids why the President gets away with lying, racism, bullying, and misogyny, while others have to live a chaste life. This election the President himself has changed the electorate .
Where ever you go, there you are.

seb146

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:10 am

casinterest wrote:
Trump will not drop out.

They are going to be destroyed in this election as they have supported Trump, a man that has broken most, if not all of the 10 commandments. There is not going to be much salvation in oppressing those with differing views(abortion, gay marriage) as their churches are destroyed with the exodus of young members.

The GOP under Trump has become an embarrassment as suburbia parents have to explain to their kids why the President gets away with lying, racism, bullying, and misogyny, while others have to live a chaste life. This election the President himself has changed the electorate .

He has the evangelical vote. Christian leaders told them to vote for him. Here is the break down of who, with zero doubt, will vote for him:

Evangelicals
Racists

ta-da

casinterest

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:20 am

seb146 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Trump will not drop out.

He has the evangelical vote. Christian leaders told them to vote for him. Here is the break down of who, with zero doubt, will vote for him:

Evangelicals
Racists

ta-da

Christian leaders are usually out of step with sweeping changes that sweep the base.

I know many folks that voted for Trump, that will not ever do so again due to the erosion of family values under such a man.

seb146

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:38 am

casinterest wrote:
seb146 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Trump will not drop out.

Evangelicals
Racists

ta-da

Christian leaders are usually out of step with sweeping changes that sweep the base.

I know many folks that voted for Trump, that will not ever do so again due to the erosion of family values under such a man.

Back in the day, political scientists understood that when Republicans were in control, society grew more actively liberal and when Democrats were in control, society grew more passively liberal. But, this guy has thrown all that out the window. We are all supposed to be celebrating because "we can say 'Merry Christmas' again!" and white power and all that. Which is bunk but don't dare say that to righties! He is their savior!

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... mp/596308/
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/08/ ... lness.html

blueflyer

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:12 pm

ltbewr wrote:
I can only see Trump dropping out for 2 reasons:

1) He has a major physical or brain health problem (massive heart attack, stroke, open onset of Alzheimer's Disease which his father had) where he resigns or others have to invoke the 25th Amendment. Lyndon Johnson in 1968 quit his re-election campaign in part from his health.

2) If overwhelming physical or digital documentation of massive corruption of Trump closely before or during his term of office is produced by the ongoing investigations by House Committees and others that lead to Impeachment proceedings.

To that I'd add he has to make a choice between running and releasing tax returns. He will fight to the bitter end any state that makes full release a condition of being on the ballot. If the Supreme Court sides against him, he will successfully pressure the GOP to give the Democrats anything they want in exchange for passing a federal law overruling state tax return release requirements, but the Democrats won't bite, and Trump will fold.

I'm not sure we will ever get to #2, partly because short of having high-quality recordings of him explicitly ordering an assassination, there is nothing in Trump's past or current behavior that the GOP isn't willing to forgive in the name of retaining power. Anything else a House Committee finds, the Senate will find a way to cast doubt on to give themselves an excuse not to publicly renounce him... He could even dump Melania, date AOC, and get away with it.

Aesma wrote:
Even if he sees a loss coming, it's better for him to lose the election, than to not run. He/his supporters can always claim there was a conspiracy against him, that way.

With his claims that his first two years of presidency were robbed by the Special Counsel's investigation, I fear how Trump would react to a loss. For the first time ever, I can see a situation where the incumbent president refuses to accept the results of the election and vacate the White House... For the sake of avoiding a Constitutional crisis, I would very much prefer a Trump who quits, whatever the reason may be, over a Trump who loses. The former's ego will not be as bruised as the latter's, and he could still claim that he could have won if he had run...

afcjets wrote:
This will make way for Nikki Haley to become Trump's running mate and will win back the women vote while keeping the evangelical vote in tact. I think this is why Nikki left, it also distances her from any future controversy in the first term.

She is far too smart to accept a VP nomination. Consider her options (in no particular order):
  • Trump wins with Hailey as VP - she runs for president the next elections, likely unable to re-create the Trump fan base around her, and too bruised from her proximity to Trump to win back the suburban never-Trump vote she'll need.
  • Trump wins with Pence as VP - she primaries Pence and wins, close enough to him ideologically to be an acceptable substitute, while retaining a shot at winning back the suburban votes.
  • Trump loses - she is free to run in the next primaries.
Her odds of becoming president are much higher in the last two scenarios.
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

910A

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:05 pm

afcjets wrote:

No way on earth would Nikki Haley accept the vice-president position under Trump. She is one of the only person that has left the Trump administration with her reputation still intact. General Mattis is the the other.

NIKV69

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:22 pm

910A wrote:
afcjets wrote:

No way on earth would Nikki Haley accept the vice-president position under Trump. She is one of the only person that has left the Trump administration with her reputation still intact. General Mattis is the the other.

I actually think she would accept the VP request. She is well known moderate with aspirations of higher office.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die,

seb146

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:37 pm

He is still talking about abolishing term limits for the president and even suspending the election

https://fortune.com/2019/05/06/donald-t ... erm-limit/
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 87216.html

Even Republican voters want to ignore the Constitution and postpone the November 2020 election

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 555769001/

910A

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:53 pm

Nikki Haley a moderate? Thanks for the laugh..Anyone who is anti-union, anti-prochoice, gets a 100% rating from the NRA, gets a high score from the anti-tax Club for Growth, is not a moderate. Someone that supports taking children from their parents at the border isn't a moderate. She is also an extremist on Israel, willing to go to war with Iran, withdrawing from the UN's Human Rights Council, failed to support the U.N.’s New York Declaration for Refugees and Migrants. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a South Carolina moderate. Also being Vice-President is a career killer, in my lifetime only George H.W. Bush managed to get himself promoted to the top spot after his president served his two terms.

All that being said, if she ran for President if Trump dropped out, she would be tough to beat.

ltbewr

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:22 pm

seb146 wrote:
He is still talking about abolishing term limits for the president and even suspending the election

https://fortune.com/2019/05/06/donald-t ... erm-limit/
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 87216.html

Even Republican voters want to ignore the Constitution and postpone the November 2020 election

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 555769001/

Changing the Presidential Term Limits would require a Constitutional Amendment, a very difficult process. As to postponing the 2020 General elections as to Federal offices, it won't happen as States control most of the election times and even during our Civil War, WW I, WW II, in the aftermath of severe Hurricanes, they continued on time. The only set of circumstances where they would be postponed would be such a massive environmental event like a supervolcano goes off in the Yellowstone basin or Mt Rainer in WA state, a class 5 hurricane hits Miami or New Orleans again affecting millions from being able to vote.

afcjets

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:39 am

casinterest wrote:

Wow I am surprised someone like you would hang around so many white supremacists who voted for a "lying, racist coward" ;)

afcjets

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:44 am

Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

Have you been paying attention? Putting Haley on the ticket will not get suburban women back - they don’t like POTUS’s character and they are exhausted by the chaos flying around him on TV. They want the volume down and that’s not going to happen with 45 around.

In case you missed it, Hillary lost, but by all means keep believing Trump is going to lose again by a landslide and stay home on election day.

Aaron747

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:52 am

afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

In case you missed it, Hillary lost, but by all means keep believing Trump is going to lose again by a landslide and stay home on election day.

When I did mention Hillary? By all means, keep thinking over 50% of the electorate will sit out again like in 2016.

afcjets

Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:49 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

When I did mention Hillary? By all means, keep thinking over 50% of the electorate will sit out again like in 2016.

Nothing has changed since Hillary lost 20 women came forward the same October surprise weekend and said he raped them, in late September a tape was leaked where he made the comment some women willingly put out for celebrities and just like on ABC's the Bachelor and every other tv show and movie and real life a guy moves in for a kiss without asking for permission first and surprisingly the women let it happen! And the left was shocked that suburban women were not horrified and elected Trump. But I forgot about Stormy, she came afterwards, so there is still hope!

casinterest

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:25 pm

afcjets wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Wow I am surprised someone like you would hang around so many white supremacists who voted for a "lying, racist coward" ;)

They are not all white supremacists. Especially the ones that would never vote for him However most that would never vote for him again were a little to "dense" to understand what a lying,racist coward does to America. They are all starting to understand now that the Republican party is no longer about conservatism. It is about fascist, nationalism and racism.

bgm

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:56 pm

afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

Nothing has changed since Hillary lost 20 women came forward the same October surprise weekend and said he raped them, in late September a tape was leaked where he made the comment some women willingly put out for celebrities and just like on ABC's the Bachelor and every other tv show and movie and real life a guy moves in for a kiss without asking for permission first and surprisingly the women let it happen! And the left was shocked that suburban women were not horrified and elected Trump. But I forgot about Stormy, she came afterwards, so there is still hope!

Question for you: would you vote for Trump in 2020?
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

Aaron747

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:56 pm

afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

You obviously don’t know many suburban women, is all I’m saying. I see what they’re talking about and there is definitely a shift afoot.

seb146

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:23 pm

He is still running in 2016 and desperate to make that vote illegitimate probably to claim massive voter fraud when he loses in a major upset and call the next election illegitimate

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/19/politics ... index.html

While taking long golf weekends, he still thinks Hillary is running and he needs to keep bringing up Hillary because.....?

SL1200MK2

Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:11 pm

Does anyone else have concerns regarding him not stepping down should he loose the election? I just can’t imagine that loss being the one thing he addresses in an honorable way. The part which bothers me is that the police and military seem like they would support this. Would he have his opponent arrested?

Admittedly, this is a far-out concept. However, does it seem that crazy that he wouldn’t accept a loss? And, if so, how would that be addressed.

I’m hoping my fears are absolutely irrational and that I’m just worn out.

MikeDrop

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:09 pm

SL1200MK2 wrote:
Does anyone else have concerns regarding him not stepping down should he loose the election? I just can’t imagine that loss being the one thing he addresses in an honorable way. The part which bothers me is that the police and military seem like they would support this. Would he have his opponent arrested?

Admittedly, this is a far-out concept. However, does it seem that crazy that he wouldn’t accept a loss? And, if so, how would that be addressed.

I’m sure that if he loses the election that he will step down according to the law. It’s really not something that is worth worrying about.

Mike Drop

seb146

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:15 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
SL1200MK2 wrote:

I’m sure that if he loses the election that he will step down according to the law. It’s really not something that is worth worrying about.

Mike Drop

He has already said he wants time added to his term and he wants to serve longer than eight years and is already planting seeds of doubt of legitimate elections. This is something we actually have to think about, talk about, and prepare for. We have never had to before. I think he will do everything he can to stay in power as long as he can. I don't think Democrats and even moderate Republicans will stand for it.

Interesting thing is: Republicans were fretting over Obama not leaving office. Yet, when their guy says out loud he does not want to leave office, we don't need to worry about it.

SL1200MK2

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:03 am

MikeDrop wrote:
SL1200MK2 wrote:

Mike Drop

I do hope you’re right. He just doesn’t exactly seem like the kind of stand up fellow to accept a loss. I mean, he’s still hung up on crowd size.

SL1200MK2

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:06 am

seb146 wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:
SL1200MK2 wrote:

Mike Drop

He has already said he wants time added to his term and he wants to serve longer than eight years and is already planting seeds of doubt of legitimate elections. This is something we actually have to think about, talk about, and prepare for. We have never had to before. I think he will do everything he can to stay in power as long as he can. I don't think Democrats and even moderate Republicans will stand for it.

Interesting thing is: Republicans were fretting over Obama not leaving office. Yet, when their guy says out loud he does not want to leave office, we don't need to worry about it.

My guess is that pretty much nobody in Washington actually likes the guy. For whatever reason, they’re afraid of him. Ultimately, I bet they seem his as the racist, sexist uncle who will eventually die.

afcjets

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:31 am

casinterest wrote:
They are not all white supremacists. Especially the ones that would never vote for him However most that would never vote for him again were a little to "dense" to understand what a lying,racist coward does to America. They are all starting to understand now that the Republican party is no longer about conservatism. It is about fascist, nationalism and racism.

More like they are starting to see that's all Democrats have left. But the problem is now even Democrats are starting to get tired of it and expecting a little more from their party.