Dutchy
Topic Author

Sudan conflict: Army and civilians seal power-sharing deal

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:22 pm

Sudan's ruling military council and civilian opposition alliance have signed a landmark power-sharing deal.

How did the crisis unfold?

The unrest in Sudan can be traced back to December 2018, when then President Bashir's government imposed emergency austerity measures.

Cuts to bread and fuel subsidies sparked demonstrations in the east over living standards, and the anger spread to the capital.

The protests broadened into demands for the removal of Mr Bashir - who had been in charge for 30 years.

In April, the president was overthrown by the military after sit-ins outside the defence ministry, but demonstrators then wanted to ensure authority was swiftly transferred to a civilian administration.

A council of generals led by Lt-Gen Abdel Fattah Abdelrahman Burhan assumed power, but it has struggled to return the country to normality.

The army is not a unified force in Sudan; paramilitary organizations and various Islamist militias hold some sway.

BCC article

So after a long protest form civilians, first the autocratic leader was removed from office after 30 years of reign and thereafter the military was put into its place. Hopefully, we will see soon a fair and open election and thereafter a civilian government can be formed and will lead Sudan towards a new future.

Good to see that the civilian movement will in the end win from an autocratic leader.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

stl07

Re: Sudan conflict: Army and civilians seal power-sharing deal

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:30 pm

Great News
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

tu204

Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:22 pm

Ain't gonna happen.

Wait till the deadline comes and then something else will pop up.

Inshalla bukra. (Those who understand know what I mean).

P.S. Wish all the best for Sudan. Spent some unforgettable time in my life working there. Very welcoming and friendly people.

However the most procrastinating and slowest place I've worked and lived. However can't blame them too much when it hits 50 degrees during the day. Just wanna find some shade to hide and sleep under. :lol:
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

Dutchy
Topic Author

Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:42 pm

tu204 wrote:
Ain't gonna happen.

It has happened, if it will continue we will see. Some positive news of an autocratic regime eventually moving towards a more democratic society.

c933103

Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:45 pm

What about the proposed transition to civilian transition that was suggested before?
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:50 pm

c933103 wrote:
What about the proposed transition to civilian transition that was suggested before?

From the article:

The agreement ushers in a new governing council, including both civilians and generals, to pave the way towards elections and civilian rule.

tu204

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:58 am

Dutchy wrote:
tu204 wrote:
Ain't gonna happen.

Don't be nieve and believe everything you read in your favourite western media.
It has happened, if it will continue we will see. Some positive news of an autocratic regime eventually moving towards a more democratic society.

Nothing really has happened. The fact that they signed an agreement doesn't mean that it will be upheld and furthermore if it is upheld doesn't mean anything will change under this mixed ruling council.

Kinda like when Bashir stepped down (I was in Khartoum in April when everything went down).

There's also a good possibility of a shitstorm to develop out of this unstable situation as there are two rich regional players involved in Sudan with money and no real love for each other who are going to be throwing shit on the fan to piss off the other party. Interesting how I haven't seen it mentioned even once in the news ;) .
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

Dutchy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:40 am

We will see what happens, your skeptic view of people movements in general and your preference of autocratic regimes, or the democratic movements.

tu204

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:34 pm

Dutchy wrote:
We will see what happens, your skeptic view of people movements in general and your preference of autocratic regimes, or the democratic movements.

???
Read your post again, it seems incomplete.

And I have no love for Omar al-Bashir. Totally incompetent, absolutely no discipline in his government structures, disfunctional government, lack of policies, lack of strategy, diminishing quality of life with every month.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:09 pm

tu204 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

???

And I have no love for Omar al-Bashir. Totally incompetent, absolutely no discipline in his government structures, disfunctional government, lack of policies, lack of strategy, diminishing quality of life with every month.

So it is a good thing the civilians took charge and eventually took over and paved the way for democratic elections and thus government?

tu204

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:28 am

Dutchy wrote:
tu204 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

???

So it is a good thing the civilians took charge and eventually took over and paved the way for democratic elections and thus government?

You misunderstand the situation there right now, but yes I would be all for civilians taking charge and having democratic elections. The current administration (I consider the current guys to be a continuation of Omar al-Bashir) screwed up pretty much everything they could and there isn't much more that could go wrong.

However what they are at now is a power sharing deal with the military. Another thing to consider here is that the "military" is not one consolidated entity, there are numerous fractions trying to push their agenda, and worse off they are supported by a couple different wealthy external regional players.

It will be interesting to see how the elections go. The first thing they have to do (economically) is cancel or reduce the fuel subsidies. Gasoline and diesel at 10 cents a liter is nice of course, but that is their single largest foreign currency spending and is the reason for the fuel shortages (pretty bad, you can be driving by road through the desert and have a linup of cars several kilometers long waiting to get a 20 liter ration of fuel for days). But of course it will be heavily unpopular to cancel this subsidy, which won't do any good for whoever ends up doing it when it comes to getting elected.