seb146
Topic Author

Bands You Were Too Late For

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:07 am

Not like being born in the 1990s and discovering Led Zepplin and The Beatles but finding a band that had just, only months or a year before, broke up but you love their songs.

I am going through this with FF5 also known as Family Force Five. Their last two songs "Out Of This World" and "Fire On The Highway" caught my attention, so I went though their musical history and like their sound. But, the last song they released is a transition song apparently and no one knows if they are going to be a thing anymore.

What are others?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

gunsontheroof

Re: Bands You Were Too Late For

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:15 am

The Clash are the easy answer for me. I would have loved to have seen that band live, but they called it a ballgame shortly after I landed on this planet.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

slider

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:27 pm

I wish I could've seen Jimi live. And Zeppelin.

Dammit.

And I really, really, would love a Delorean to go back and see Sinatra live at The Sands.

Aaron747

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:45 pm

slider wrote:

Dammit.

And I really, really, would love a Delorean to go back and see Sinatra live at The Sands.

Just hang around till 2375 and you can see the next best thing - Vic Fontaine on DS9:

https://youtu.be/Q0Snrm_gwOI
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ER757

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:42 pm

slider wrote:

Dammit.

Well there are a few advantages to being old (not many) - one of those is that I got to see Led Zeppelin 3 times and also got to see the Who twice while Moonie was still alive. I'm with you on Jimi though, missed him by a couple years, I was only 15 when he died. And book me a seat in that Delorean headed to Vegas, we could check out the entire Rat Pack!

UltimateDelta

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:28 pm

Not quite the same as fortunately they're still going, but I'd gotten into FIDLAR a while back and was at a record store in Salt Lake City, only to discover from a poster on the wall that they'd been in town the weekend prior.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

slider

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:23 pm

ER757 wrote:
slider wrote:

Dammit.

Well there are a few advantages to being old (not many) - one of those is that I got to see Led Zeppelin 3 times and also got to see the Who twice while Moonie was still alive. I'm with you on Jimi though, missed him by a couple years, I was only 15 when he died. And book me a seat in that Delorean headed to Vegas, we could check out the entire Rat Pack!

Sweet! Those had to be amazing shows. And yeah, seeing the Rat pack overall would be tremendous.

I'm fortunate in being old enough to have seen a lot of those legendary acts, certainly to appreciate them, but there are some I missed the boat on and was born too late for.

And I didn't see Jimi, but I did see Stevie--thank God--and Kenny Wayne is a must see these days because he channels them both, I swear it's incredible.

DIRECTFLT

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:37 pm

I got into AIC only to find out that the lead singer Layne Staley had passed away.

I was into John Lennon's Double Fantasy, and was making plans to see him live, when he was murdered.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

DIRECTFLT

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:43 pm

ER757 wrote:
slider wrote:

Dammit.

I would liked to have seen Buddy Holly and Janis Joplin. And Jimi, of course.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

ER757

Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:02 pm

slider wrote:
ER757 wrote:
slider wrote:

Dammit.

Sweet! Those had to be amazing shows. And yeah, seeing the Rat pack overall would be tremendous.

I'm fortunate in being old enough to have seen a lot of those legendary acts, certainly to appreciate them, but there are some I missed the boat on and was born too late for.

And I didn't see Jimi, but I did see Stevie--thank God--and Kenny Wayne is a must see these days because he channels them both, I swear it's incredible.

Oh man, I am envious - never saw Stevie which is insane since I am a guitarist and a fan of the blues as well. Was hoping he would be in Bowie's band when he did the tour for Let's Dance but alas it was Earl Slick instead (was still a great show but it wasn't Stevie). Also regret not seeing the Stones in 1972 when Mick Taylor was still in the band - I did see Mick twice though. He toured with John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers around 1980 or so an dthey played a fairly small venue which was cool. He also was in Alvin Lee's band when they opened for Black Sabbath in the early 80's. I got free tickets and my buddy and I left after Lee/Taylor - Ozzie wasn't in Sabbath at the time so we figured it wasn't the "real" Black Sabbath

DL717

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:30 pm

A ton of the stuff in the late 60’s/early 70’s. It laid the ground work for a fun time in rock and roll in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Late Zepplin, but the late 80’s when US hair band piles of copy cat “glam rock” acts that took a nice period of rock and roll to crap show status. Think Queen, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Boston, Styx, KISS etc..., but not Bon Jovi Poison, Ratt etc...

Now rock and roll is damn near dead with everything a giant melting pot of pop/rap mixed garbage.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

ltbewr

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:52 pm

I was born in 1954 so saw on TV and heard on the radio when new the greats of rock, pop and country of the 1960's. :old:

Ken777

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:04 am

I'm old enough to have e seen Elvis - twice. The bands that impressed me the most were Count Basie and Glenn Miller. Also saw Ella Fitzgerald twice - a special lady and singer, And Dave Brubeck. These days I've been able to see Shades Apart, MXPX and a few other punk bands - bit different than my early years.

DL717

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:09 pm

Ken777 wrote:
I'm old enough to have e seen Elvis - twice. The bands that impressed me the most were Count Basie and Glenn Miller. Also saw Ella Fitzgerald twice - a special lady and singer, And Dave Brubeck. These days I've been able to see Shades Apart, MXPX and a few other punk bands - bit different than my early years.

Being born in 1960 I remember well my grandparents listening to people like Basie and Miller. My dad was a Zepplin fan. I’m just bummed I missed the beginnings of the bands I listed. That “what’s this” moment before it was overrun with copy cats, was just a bit too young for it to see the transition from the Stones and Zepplin which would have been a nice middle spot. I should have been born in 1955. :D
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

jetwet1

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:29 pm

DL717 wrote:
A ton of the stuff in the late 60’s/early 70’s. It laid the ground work for a fun time in rock and roll in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Late Zepplin, but the late 80’s when US hair band piles of copy cat “glam rock” acts that took a nice period of rock and roll to crap show status. Think Queen, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Boston, Styx, KISS etc..., but not Bon Jovi Poison, Ratt etc...

Now rock and roll is damn near dead with everything a giant melting pot of pop/rap mixed garbage.

Come out to Vegas some time, we get the majority of those you've listed a couple of times a year, seeing Boston and Styx together was fantastic, I will argue the last part though, seeing Motley Crue was fantastic, having White Snake open for them took it to a whole different level.

For me it's The Who, I didn't get into their music until recently, which I am hitting my head against a wall over.