N1611B
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:56 pm

seb146 wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
N1611B wrote:

Eric Garner wasn't "murdered". There's a reason why the DOJ under both Obama and Trump declined to press charges in that case. Moreover, actual instances of police wrongfully killing people in the United States are very rare. The police are involved in over 1,000 shootings a year nationwide, and only a handful are even controversial. Of the "controversial" shootings, many of them end up being completely justified once all of the facts come out (see: Ferguson).



He was fired unjustly IMO. And, by the way.... was not found guilty of any murder. Maybe you should try working the streets of NYC sometime. You need to get grip on the facts before posting these misleading statements.


He was in police custody screaming "I CAN'T BREATHE!" and died. Because he was selling single cigarettes. And unarmed.


Right, he died in police custody. He was not murdered by the police, as the US DOJ established more than once.
 
User avatar
Super80Fan
Posts: 1622
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:21 pm

BravoOne wrote:
N1611B wrote:
seb146 wrote:

That is actually a good point. We don't hear about police in EU gunning down an unarmed minority while taking Anglo men with no shots fired. It happens so often in the United Stated that media does not even report it anymore. How long has it been since an unarmed black man selling single cigarettes on the street in New York City was murdered by police and one officer was just fired for that.


Eric Garner wasn't "murdered". There's a reason why the DOJ under both Obama and Trump declined to press charges in that case. Moreover, actual instances of police wrongfully killing people in the United States are very rare. The police are involved in over 1,000 shootings a year nationwide, and only a handful are even controversial. Of the "controversial" shootings, many of them end up being completely justified once all of the facts come out (see: Ferguson).



He was fired unjustly IMO. And, by the way.... was not found guilty of any murder. Maybe you should try working the streets of NYC sometime. You need to get grip on the facts before posting these misleading statements.


Ah yes, someone selling cigarettes deserves to die. This is par for the course with you police lovers, non violent crimes apparently deserve the death penalty.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways
 
N1611B
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:36 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
N1611B wrote:

Eric Garner wasn't "murdered". There's a reason why the DOJ under both Obama and Trump declined to press charges in that case. Moreover, actual instances of police wrongfully killing people in the United States are very rare. The police are involved in over 1,000 shootings a year nationwide, and only a handful are even controversial. Of the "controversial" shootings, many of them end up being completely justified once all of the facts come out (see: Ferguson).



He was fired unjustly IMO. And, by the way.... was not found guilty of any murder. Maybe you should try working the streets of NYC sometime. You need to get grip on the facts before posting these misleading statements.


Ah yes, someone selling cigarettes deserves to die. This is par for the course with you police lovers, non violent crimes apparently deserve the death penalty.


He wasn't administered the death penalty. He died as a result of poor procedure by the police and due to his own massive obesity and health problems. There was no intent by the police to kill or even harm him.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3674
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:57 am

seb146 wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
N1611B wrote:

Eric Garner wasn't "murdered". There's a reason why the DOJ under both Obama and Trump declined to press charges in that case. Moreover, actual instances of police wrongfully killing people in the United States are very rare. The police are involved in over 1,000 shootings a year nationwide, and only a handful are even controversial. Of the "controversial" shootings, many of them end up being completely justified once all of the facts come out (see: Ferguson).



He was fired unjustly IMO. And, by the way.... was not found guilty of any murder. Maybe you should try working the streets of NYC sometime. You need to get grip on the facts before posting these misleading statements.


He was in police custody screaming "I CAN'T BREATHE!" and died. Because he was selling single cigarettes. And unarmed.


You’re ignoring the relevant legal fact that he was in police custody because he was breaking the law by selling untaxed (by NYC) cigarettes and resisting arrest because he was angry at being taken into custody for a repeat offense of the same crime in NYC—trying to make a living. The arrest was for cheating the government out of tax money. All laws eventually are enforced by violence, get over it.

GF
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20703
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:06 am

N1611B wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
BravoOne wrote:


He was fired unjustly IMO. And, by the way.... was not found guilty of any murder. Maybe you should try working the streets of NYC sometime. You need to get grip on the facts before posting these misleading statements.


Ah yes, someone selling cigarettes deserves to die. This is par for the course with you police lovers, non violent crimes apparently deserve the death penalty.


He wasn't administered the death penalty. He died as a result of poor procedure by the police and due to his own massive obesity and health problems. There was no intent by the police to kill or even harm him.


Why was he not issued a ticket?

This has gone way off topic but I think the point is that European police seem to be able to better handle situations. Like not gunning down unarmed black people
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
N1611B
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:15 am

seb146 wrote:
N1611B wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Ah yes, someone selling cigarettes deserves to die. This is par for the course with you police lovers, non violent crimes apparently deserve the death penalty.


He wasn't administered the death penalty. He died as a result of poor procedure by the police and due to his own massive obesity and health problems. There was no intent by the police to kill or even harm him.


Why was he not issued a ticket?

This has gone way off topic but I think the point is that European police seem to be able to better handle situations. Like not gunning down unarmed black people


They attempted to take him into custody. He resisted and they used an improper (but not illegal) method to take him down.

European cops don't have to worry about being murdered the way American cops do. Like I said earlier, there are over 1,000 fatal police-involved shootings in the US each year and only a handful of those are controversial. Of that small handful, some are sensationalized and made up, so the actual number of questionable shootings is even smaller. By and large police officers in the US have a difficult and dangerous job and they do it well.
 
extender
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:11 am

Super80Fan wrote:
Ah yes, someone selling cigarettes deserves to die. This is par for the course with you police lovers, non violent crimes apparently deserve the death penalty.


And here you have it, why America is descending into that clag of mediocrity. There is no respect for the police, there is no respect period. Anyone that has a conflicting view is suddenly racist, and must be doxed or beaten. Their views don't matter, but yours do.

This sudden drop in stature has, IMO a lot to do with Obama's presidency. Remember: "...the police acted stupidly..." without having all the facts.

You would have blamed the police anyways had he had a massive heart attack and dropped dead. In Ferguson, Tiny should have been left to reap his loot from a strong-arm robbery? Resist arrest and reach for the cop's gun, well, stupid games and stupid prizes.

My apologies, but unless people return to that sense of personal responsibility, nothing will change.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 10002
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:16 am

bgm wrote:
This is an interesting article. The world has benefited a lot from the many things from the US. Not just products, or inventions, but also ideas and policies. It seems that the reverse is less so. We can all learn from each other.


And this threat is a conformation of this article. Such a shame really, America could be a wonderful country, but their collective bloated view of themselves do them more harm than good.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
BN747
Posts: 6767
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:49 pm

DL717 wrote:
777222LR wrote:
DL717 wrote:

Younger people believe that way after years of teachers and professors telling them America = bad, everyone else = good. They’ve been conditioned to be weak. It will be the downfall of America. The education system = failure.



That's a lie. Throughout my entire education, lower, middle, high school, college, I was never told America was bad. What I was told was that historically, not everything we've done has been good, and here's what we can do to fix it. What else did my education expose me to? People from other countries, religions, ideologies. It forced me to not live in my small town Oklahoma bubble, where I was raised.

We have not done everything perfectly. To not acknowledge that, is to not acknowledge the truth. If anything, my education has made me a better employee, able to understand the dynamics of social interaction on a macro and micro level, so that I can be better at my job, make my company better, and do you know what all of that trickles down/up to? Making my country stronger.


Actually, you were taught just that. You just didn’t realize it. You were educated by the “peace and love” generation that despised America who still live in a wanna be utopian society of liberal talking heads.


777222LR wrote:
DL717 wrote:
Actually, you were taught just that. You just didn’t realize it. You were educated by the “peace and love” generation that despised America who still live in a wanna be utopian society of liberal talking heads.



If peace an love are antithetical to America...then what is your vision? Just curious...



Our friend has not responded to your argument because he has none.

He advocates the newer generations of Americans are sensitivities (aka are turned into wussy snowflakes)...when in truth, ALL prior generations were taught:
America was Pure.
America was good and had done very little wrong.
America was the world leader and second to none.

I grew up under those beliefs like most 'over 50' Americans.

We were bullshitted about our past faults and wrongdoings.

America was Pure. - No it wasn't, it started off with every semblance of inhuman criminality possible.
I would say, in it's defense...America was only doing what any other power of the era would have done. But there's a problem...

No other power before America had pledged itself to a system buoyed by Justice, democracy, the rights of men to dictate/pursue their own prosperity as a nation.

With those proclamations draped in the notorious crimes, actions and ruthlessness to follow paved the road to American might, it's current global standing.

It is a shameful past.

Along the way some adjustments were made, recognizing 'select wrongs' followed by more such actions leading us to where we are today.

The corrections made domestically has enlightened many other nations around the planet to follow suit.

Jimmy Carter's famed Human Rights campaign awakened my around the world to the unnecessary savage ruthless rule of dictators (many supported by US tax dollars via American leadership).

The struggles of women and minorities has lit the powder keg in many nations and has taken root. BUT there's way too much remaining to be done.

The change of media delivery (internet/social media) is having an enormous impact and forcing change to emerge faster than it's usual sluggish pace

The current US gov't is led by someone dangerously ignorant of domestics facts/history along with international facts/history.

The current leader stands on the shoulders of past leaders who've built the leading American image and like the fool who has no idea and no appreciation of 'goodwill, diplomacy, US might' is equal to that of a child given a gun as a gift and no lessons of use or safety...simply told to go have fun.

That's a problem.
So yes, America is quite mediocre at this current time by it's wayward leadership.

Can we get back to providing inspiration, motivation to do better, to rise up and work to save the planet, lives and seek the betterment of the human condition?

Doesn't look so promising at the moment.


BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
extender
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:06 pm

BN747 wrote:
Can we get back to providing inspiration, motivation to do better, to rise up and work to save the planet, lives and seek the betterment of the human condition?

Doesn't look so promising at the moment.


Then don't vote for a progressive in 2020.

We're such a screwed up place, huh? Not perfect, but righting the wrongs and making sure they don't happen is a good start. Everyone has dirty laundry, but don't get guilted into dropping your pants around your ankles and bending over.
 
BN747
Posts: 6767
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:55 pm

extender wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Can we get back to providing inspiration, motivation to do better, to rise up and work to save the planet, lives and seek the betterment of the human condition?

Doesn't look so promising at the moment.


Then don't vote for a progressive in 2020.

We're such a screwed up place, huh? Not perfect, but righting the wrongs and making sure they don't happen is a good start. Everyone has dirty laundry, but don't get guilted into dropping your pants around your ankles and bending over.


Why...what do progressives offer that is antithetical to 'providing inspiration, motivation to do better, to rise up and work to save the planet, lives and seek the betterment of the human condition'?

Please steer clean sexual innuendo analogies....you're not good at it.


BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
L410Turbolet
Posts: 6073
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 9:12 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:43 pm

seb146 wrote:
This has gone way off topic but I think the point is that European police seem to be able to better handle situations. Like not gunning down unarmed black people

Have you actually ever been to Europe?
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20703
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:47 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
seb146 wrote:
This has gone way off topic but I think the point is that European police seem to be able to better handle situations. Like not gunning down unarmed black people

Have you actually ever been to Europe?


Only Canada and Mexico. I have never had to deal with police in either of those countries. It seems I have to deal with police in rural areas more than urban areas.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
BN747
Posts: 6767
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:33 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
seb146 wrote:
This has gone way off topic but I think the point is that European police seem to be able to better handle situations. Like not gunning down unarmed black people

Have you actually ever been to Europe?


I have..to most Western European nations...what's your point?


BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
User avatar
Super80Fan
Posts: 1622
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:03 am

extender wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
Ah yes, someone selling cigarettes deserves to die. This is par for the course with you police lovers, non violent crimes apparently deserve the death penalty.


And here you have it, why America is descending into that clag of mediocrity. There is no respect for the police, there is no respect period. Anyone that has a conflicting view is suddenly racist, and must be doxed or beaten. Their views don't matter, but yours do.

This sudden drop in stature has, IMO a lot to do with Obama's presidency. Remember: "...the police acted stupidly..." without having all the facts.

You would have blamed the police anyways had he had a massive heart attack and dropped dead. In Ferguson, Tiny should have been left to reap his loot from a strong-arm robbery? Resist arrest and reach for the cop's gun, well, stupid games and stupid prizes.

My apologies, but unless people return to that sense of personal responsibility, nothing will change.


Blue ISIS has proven time and time again they have no respect for the general public, do not respect or follow the Constitution, and think they follow a totally separate set of laws than we do.

Garner's case was totally separate from Ferguson. Can't even compare the two. Maybe this country wouldn't be so "mediocre" if the police had respect for the people paying their bills and that they are "sworn to protect".

Police rob all the time, whether it is cameras, phones, vehicles, or your freedom. The police are there to protect your life, liberty, and property against thieves, rapists, assaults, and murder. Everything else is just revenue generation for the state.

I invite you to go watch any "first amendment audit" video on Youtube to go see the disconnect. The police LOVE to escalate situations and try to find a crime wherever possible, usually with their favorite "interfering with an investigation", "failure to comply", "failure to ID", or "resisting arrest" when there was no reason for an arrest to occur in the first place. These piggies HATE being held accountable, so they go after anyone with a camera or not "respecting my authoritah".

The police in the US deserve no respect until they respect us and stop being so trigger happy. Then again, with people like you around who bow down to them every-time you pass them on the street, why should they bother?
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways
 
User avatar
Super80Fan
Posts: 1622
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:04 am

L410Turbolet wrote:
seb146 wrote:
This has gone way off topic but I think the point is that European police seem to be able to better handle situations. Like not gunning down unarmed black people

Have you actually ever been to Europe?


What is your point here? It's a fact European police handle situations better than whatever these state funded KKK militias we have in the US do.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways
 
N1611B
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:30 am

Super80Fan wrote:
extender wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
Ah yes, someone selling cigarettes deserves to die. This is par for the course with you police lovers, non violent crimes apparently deserve the death penalty.


And here you have it, why America is descending into that clag of mediocrity. There is no respect for the police, there is no respect period. Anyone that has a conflicting view is suddenly racist, and must be doxed or beaten. Their views don't matter, but yours do.

This sudden drop in stature has, IMO a lot to do with Obama's presidency. Remember: "...the police acted stupidly..." without having all the facts.

You would have blamed the police anyways had he had a massive heart attack and dropped dead. In Ferguson, Tiny should have been left to reap his loot from a strong-arm robbery? Resist arrest and reach for the cop's gun, well, stupid games and stupid prizes.

My apologies, but unless people return to that sense of personal responsibility, nothing will change.


Blue ISIS has proven time and time again they have no respect for the general public, do not respect or follow the Constitution, and think they follow a totally separate set of laws than we do.

Garner's case was totally separate from Ferguson. Can't even compare the two. Maybe this country wouldn't be so "mediocre" if the police had respect for the people paying their bills and that they are "sworn to protect".

Police rob all the time, whether it is cameras, phones, vehicles, or your freedom. The police are there to protect your life, liberty, and property against thieves, rapists, assaults, and murder. Everything else is just revenue generation for the state.

I invite you to go watch any "first amendment audit" video on Youtube to go see the disconnect. The police LOVE to escalate situations and try to find a crime wherever possible, usually with their favorite "interfering with an investigation", "failure to comply", "failure to ID", or "resisting arrest" when there was no reason for an arrest to occur in the first place. These piggies HATE being held accountable, so they go after anyone with a camera or not "respecting my authoritah".

The police in the US deserve no respect until they respect us and stop being so trigger happy. Then again, with people like you around who bow down to them every-time you pass them on the street, why should they bother?


Blue ISIS? You mean the people who risk their lives protecting people like you and me from ISIS? You're truly delusional. Perhaps some people here would join me in raising some money to buy you two plane tickets....one to Iraq so you could hang out with ISIS, and one to Orlando where you could meet the officer who took a bullet to the head fighting against ISIS but survived. I'm sure you'd rather hang out in Fallujah...
Last edited by N1611B on Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
N1611B
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:31 am

Super80Fan wrote:
L410Turbolet wrote:
seb146 wrote:
This has gone way off topic but I think the point is that European police seem to be able to better handle situations. Like not gunning down unarmed black people

Have you actually ever been to Europe?


What is your point here? It's a fact European police handle situations better than whatever these state funded KKK militias we have in the US do.


European cops don't have to deal with getting shot in large numbers like our cops do. European cops also don't police a heavily armed populace
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 9696
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:45 am

extender wrote:
My apologies, but unless people return to that sense of personal responsibility, nothing will change.


Pretty rich when we have a WH acting as public apologist for Blago, Paul Manafort, Scooter Libby, Conrad Black, Ted Suhl and the list goes on. And then there’s the KSA, which can do no wrong in any POTUS’s eyes.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
1989worstyear
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:53 pm

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:45 am

Kiwirob wrote:
N1611B wrote:
bgm wrote:

Call me when you build that supersonic passenger jet.
Call me when you finally have universal healthcare.
Call me when you finally stop having daily mass shootings.
Call me when you don't incarcerate 5% of your population in for-profit prisons.
Call me when your cops quit shooting black men for no reason.
Call me when your government quits putting children in cages.

... etc etc...


Given the amount of technological innovation that the United States has been responsible for since WWII, I can promise you that it would take us no time at all to build a supersonic passenger jet. The reason we haven't done so yet is because we have chosen not to, due to a variety of factors. The country that put people on the moon, that created and optimized stealth fighters, that has produced most of the airliners used to transport people around the world, etc, would not struggle with creating a supersonic airliner.

There are pros and cons to universal healthcare. The healthcare system in the United States is indeed broken, but universal healthcare is not the fix, IMO.

We don't have daily mass shootings, at least not according to the most commonly used definitions of mass shootings that exclude gang violence.

I agree with you that we incarcerate far too many people for nonviolent crimes, but no one is perfect. Norway is due to let a man who murdered dozens of children out of prison because they don't believe in life sentances, for example.

Our police officers don't routinely shoot black men for no reason. Around 1,000 people are killed each year by the police in the United States, the overwhelming majority of whom are armed and who are threatening officers or others. The police have a tough and dangerous job and 99.9% of them do it well.


You do have daily mass shootings, it's just that not all of them result in someone being killed, just plenty of people in hospital.

I'd like to see how you came to the conclusion that Norway is going to let Anders out of prison, he got 21 years, but they don't have to let him out once his time is up, he can be kept in prison for life if the authourities decide he's still a threat to society.

US police officers shoot more people annually than all your pier nations combined and then some. How come other countries can deal with armed offenders without killing them and the US can't? NZ police officers were able to subdue Branton Tarrent without resorting to guns.


Aren't 17 year olds also considered adults with no voting rights in NZ? By comparison, there are currently only a handful of US states that still consider under-18's adults in the legal system, as many have increased the juvenile justice age in the last 15 years to prevent prison rape and promote rehabilitation.

Now if NZ apparently has the best justice system in the world, I would like to know how you people got away with this one. :scratchchin:

EDIT: Crap - I meant to reply to your post where you mentioned the percentage of the US population currently incarcerated. :oops:
Last edited by 1989worstyear on Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...
 
User avatar
Super80Fan
Posts: 1622
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:02 am

N1611B wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
extender wrote:

And here you have it, why America is descending into that clag of mediocrity. There is no respect for the police, there is no respect period. Anyone that has a conflicting view is suddenly racist, and must be doxed or beaten. Their views don't matter, but yours do.

This sudden drop in stature has, IMO a lot to do with Obama's presidency. Remember: "...the police acted stupidly..." without having all the facts.

You would have blamed the police anyways had he had a massive heart attack and dropped dead. In Ferguson, Tiny should have been left to reap his loot from a strong-arm robbery? Resist arrest and reach for the cop's gun, well, stupid games and stupid prizes.

My apologies, but unless people return to that sense of personal responsibility, nothing will change.


Blue ISIS has proven time and time again they have no respect for the general public, do not respect or follow the Constitution, and think they follow a totally separate set of laws than we do.

Garner's case was totally separate from Ferguson. Can't even compare the two. Maybe this country wouldn't be so "mediocre" if the police had respect for the people paying their bills and that they are "sworn to protect".

Police rob all the time, whether it is cameras, phones, vehicles, or your freedom. The police are there to protect your life, liberty, and property against thieves, rapists, assaults, and murder. Everything else is just revenue generation for the state.

I invite you to go watch any "first amendment audit" video on Youtube to go see the disconnect. The police LOVE to escalate situations and try to find a crime wherever possible, usually with their favorite "interfering with an investigation", "failure to comply", "failure to ID", or "resisting arrest" when there was no reason for an arrest to occur in the first place. These piggies HATE being held accountable, so they go after anyone with a camera or not "respecting my authoritah".

The police in the US deserve no respect until they respect us and stop being so trigger happy. Then again, with people like you around who bow down to them every-time you pass them on the street, why should they bother?


Blue ISIS? You mean the people who risk their lives protecting people like you and me from ISIS? You're truly delusional. Perhaps some people here would join me in raising some money to buy you two plane tickets....one to Iraq so you could hang out with ISIS, and one to Orlando where you could meet the officer who took a bullet to the head fighting against ISIS but survived. I'm sure you'd rather hang out in Fallujah...


I think you're the one I need to buy a plane ticket for, you enjoy police states so I can just buy you a ticket to China or North Korea where you can suck up to the military/police forces all you want.

I lived in Orlando for a few years, I've already gave the middle finger to more OPD officers than I can count, but I'll still take a free plane ticket.

Blue ISIS is not here protecting you and me, they are here to protect politicians, large corporations, and the rich. They hate accountability and hate the Constitution.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20703
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:12 am

N1611B wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
L410Turbolet wrote:
Have you actually ever been to Europe?


What is your point here? It's a fact European police handle situations better than whatever these state funded KKK militias we have in the US do.


European cops don't have to deal with getting shot in large numbers like our cops do. European cops also don't police a heavily armed populace


And we do not hear about European police pulling unarmed men out of cars and injuring or killing them.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
BN747
Posts: 6767
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:04 am

Super80Fan wrote:
extender wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
Ah yes, someone selling cigarettes deserves to die. This is par for the course with you police lovers, non violent crimes apparently deserve the death penalty.


And here you have it, why America is descending into that clag of mediocrity. There is no respect for the police, there is no respect period. Anyone that has a conflicting view is suddenly racist, and must be doxed or beaten. Their views don't matter, but yours do.

This sudden drop in stature has, IMO a lot to do with Obama's presidency. Remember: "...the police acted stupidly..." without having all the facts.

You would have blamed the police anyways had he had a massive heart attack and dropped dead. In Ferguson, Tiny should have been left to reap his loot from a strong-arm robbery? Resist arrest and reach for the cop's gun, well, stupid games and stupid prizes.

My apologies, but unless people return to that sense of personal responsibility, nothing will change.


Blue ISIS has proven time and time again they have no respect for the general public, do not respect or follow the Constitution, and think they follow a totally separate set of laws than we do.

Garner's case was totally separate from Ferguson. Can't even compare the two. Maybe this country wouldn't be so "mediocre" if the police had respect for the people paying their bills and that they are "sworn to protect".

Police rob all the time, whether it is cameras, phones, vehicles, or your freedom. The police are there to protect your life, liberty, and property against thieves, rapists, assaults, and murder. Everything else is just revenue generation for the state.

I invite you to go watch any "first amendment audit" video on Youtube to go see the disconnect. The police LOVE to escalate situations and try to find a crime wherever possible, usually with their favorite "interfering with an investigation", "failure to comply", "failure to ID", or "resisting arrest" when there was no reason for an arrest to occur in the first place. These piggies HATE being held accountable, so they go after anyone with a camera or not "respecting my authoritah".

The police in the US deserve no respect until they respect us and stop being so trigger happy. Then again, with people like you around who bow down to them every-time you pass them on the street, why should they bother?



Your post after this is spot on.

For these Blue Isis supporters demanding 'more respect for police'...ponder this for minute.

Headline: Police Shoot Unarmed Fat Man, thought he was reaching for a gun.

2nd Headline: Police pull pregnant Fat Woman From Car Because She Would Not Exit Fast Enough.

3rd: Headline: Police Shot Fat Man in the Back

110th Headline: Police Shoot Fat Man Trying to Surrender.

...how many unarmed FAT People being suspiciously shot by Police would it take for overweight people to start being worried about Police?

Now substitute Fat People for Black People....and now you see the disparity.

For Every 10 Decent American Police officer doing a great service..there's at least 1 somewhere permanently turning a citizen against them because of his irrational overkill reaction to situation a saner mind would handle with ease?


BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
2122M
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:36 am

N1611B wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
L410Turbolet wrote:
Have you actually ever been to Europe?


What is your point here? It's a fact European police handle situations better than whatever these state funded KKK militias we have in the US do.


European cops don't have to deal with getting shot in large numbers like our cops do. European cops also don't police a heavily armed populace


I guess that’s more evidence that strict gun laws save lives.
 
WIederling
Posts: 8888
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:45 am

extender wrote:
There is no respect for the police, there is no respect period.


By appearance it is just another gang. a privileged one. But none the less.
Murphy is an optimist
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12242
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:07 am

1989worstyear wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
N1611B wrote:

Given the amount of technological innovation that the United States has been responsible for since WWII, I can promise you that it would take us no time at all to build a supersonic passenger jet. The reason we haven't done so yet is because we have chosen not to, due to a variety of factors. The country that put people on the moon, that created and optimized stealth fighters, that has produced most of the airliners used to transport people around the world, etc, would not struggle with creating a supersonic airliner.

There are pros and cons to universal healthcare. The healthcare system in the United States is indeed broken, but universal healthcare is not the fix, IMO.

We don't have daily mass shootings, at least not according to the most commonly used definitions of mass shootings that exclude gang violence.

I agree with you that we incarcerate far too many people for nonviolent crimes, but no one is perfect. Norway is due to let a man who murdered dozens of children out of prison because they don't believe in life sentances, for example.

Our police officers don't routinely shoot black men for no reason. Around 1,000 people are killed each year by the police in the United States, the overwhelming majority of whom are armed and who are threatening officers or others. The police have a tough and dangerous job and 99.9% of them do it well.


You do have daily mass shootings, it's just that not all of them result in someone being killed, just plenty of people in hospital.

I'd like to see how you came to the conclusion that Norway is going to let Anders out of prison, he got 21 years, but they don't have to let him out once his time is up, he can be kept in prison for life if the authourities decide he's still a threat to society.

US police officers shoot more people annually than all your pier nations combined and then some. How come other countries can deal with armed offenders without killing them and the US can't? NZ police officers were able to subdue Branton Tarrent without resorting to guns.


Aren't 17 year olds also considered adults with no voting rights in NZ? By comparison, there are currently only a handful of US states that still consider under-18's adults in the legal system, as many have increased the juvenile justice age in the last 15 years to prevent prison rape and promote rehabilitation.

Now if NZ apparently has the best justice system in the world, I would like to know how you people got away with this one. :scratchchin:

EDIT: Crap - I meant to reply to your post where you mentioned the percentage of the US population currently incarcerated. :oops:


I'm trying to work out how any of your comments are a reply to my comment.

BTW the voting age in NZ is 18, the age of majority is 20.
 
1989worstyear
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:53 pm

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:43 am

Kiwirob wrote:
1989worstyear wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

You do have daily mass shootings, it's just that not all of them result in someone being killed, just plenty of people in hospital.

I'd like to see how you came to the conclusion that Norway is going to let Anders out of prison, he got 21 years, but they don't have to let him out once his time is up, he can be kept in prison for life if the authourities decide he's still a threat to society.

US police officers shoot more people annually than all your pier nations combined and then some. How come other countries can deal with armed offenders without killing them and the US can't? NZ police officers were able to subdue Branton Tarrent without resorting to guns.


Aren't 17 year olds also considered adults with no voting rights in NZ? By comparison, there are currently only a handful of US states that still consider under-18's adults in the legal system, as many have increased the juvenile justice age in the last 15 years to prevent prison rape and promote rehabilitation.

Now if NZ apparently has the best justice system in the world, I would like to know how you people got away with this one. :scratchchin:

EDIT: Crap - I meant to reply to your post where you mentioned the percentage of the US population currently incarcerated. :oops:


I'm trying to work out how any of your comments are a reply to my comment.

BTW the voting age in NZ is 18, the age of majority is 20.


Oh, I was referring to the youth court age - it just sounds like something from New York and not Wellington:

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/13-09- ... eputation/
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...
 
extender
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:27 am

Super80Fan wrote:
Blue ISIS has proven time and time again they have no respect for the general public, do not respect or follow the Constitution, and think they follow a totally separate set of laws than we do.


Every LEO I know respects and lives the Constitution. I see it the other way around,hence what I've been saying, there is no respect for authority. That would include you, as evidenced by your posts

Super80Fan wrote:
Garner's case was totally separate from Ferguson. Can't even compare the two. Maybe this country wouldn't be so "mediocre" if the police had respect for the people paying their bills and that they are "sworn to protect".


Bank robbers pay their bills by robbing banks, you OK with that? Break the law, deal with it.

Super80Fan wrote:
Police rob all the time, whether it is cameras, phones, vehicles, or your freedom. The police are there to protect your life, liberty, and property against thieves, rapists, assaults, and murder. Everything else is just revenue generation for the state.


Scorned much?

Super80Fan wrote:
I invite you to go watch any "first amendment audit" video on Youtube to go see the disconnect. The police LOVE to escalate situations and try to find a crime wherever possible, usually with their favorite "interfering with an investigation", "failure to comply", "failure to ID", or "resisting arrest" when there was no reason for an arrest to occur in the first place. These piggies HATE being held accountable, so they go after anyone with a camera or not "respecting my authoritah".


I have seen several of the audits. I think that the guy behind the camera is goading and damn insulting. They go looking for trouble, hoping to catch it on tape, play the victim and collect a payday. Nice way to "pay the bills."

Super80Fan wrote:
The police in the US deserve no respect until they respect us and stop being so trigger happy. Then again, with people like you around who bow down to them every-time you pass them on the street, why should they bother?


"Respect us???" Really? Seeing cops get shot, ambushed even, even I would go into any encounter at DEFCON 1. Repsect who? The hoodlums that throw water on cops? I hope you never need a cop.
 
N1611B
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:02 am

Super80Fan wrote:
N1611B wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Blue ISIS has proven time and time again they have no respect for the general public, do not respect or follow the Constitution, and think they follow a totally separate set of laws than we do.

Garner's case was totally separate from Ferguson. Can't even compare the two. Maybe this country wouldn't be so "mediocre" if the police had respect for the people paying their bills and that they are "sworn to protect".

Police rob all the time, whether it is cameras, phones, vehicles, or your freedom. The police are there to protect your life, liberty, and property against thieves, rapists, assaults, and murder. Everything else is just revenue generation for the state.

I invite you to go watch any "first amendment audit" video on Youtube to go see the disconnect. The police LOVE to escalate situations and try to find a crime wherever possible, usually with their favorite "interfering with an investigation", "failure to comply", "failure to ID", or "resisting arrest" when there was no reason for an arrest to occur in the first place. These piggies HATE being held accountable, so they go after anyone with a camera or not "respecting my authoritah".

The police in the US deserve no respect until they respect us and stop being so trigger happy. Then again, with people like you around who bow down to them every-time you pass them on the street, why should they bother?


Blue ISIS? You mean the people who risk their lives protecting people like you and me from ISIS? You're truly delusional. Perhaps some people here would join me in raising some money to buy you two plane tickets....one to Iraq so you could hang out with ISIS, and one to Orlando where you could meet the officer who took a bullet to the head fighting against ISIS but survived. I'm sure you'd rather hang out in Fallujah...


I think you're the one I need to buy a plane ticket for, you enjoy police states so I can just buy you a ticket to China or North Korea where you can suck up to the military/police forces all you want.

I lived in Orlando for a few years, I've already gave the middle finger to more OPD officers than I can count, but I'll still take a free plane ticket.

Blue ISIS is not here protecting you and me, they are here to protect politicians, large corporations, and the rich. They hate accountability and hate the Constitution.


As someone who works with police officers daily, I can wholeheartedly say that you are wrong. The only people who seem to hate the police as much as you do are either criminals, family members of criminals, anarchists, or people who are just plain clueless. There's a reason why three quarters of Americans have a positive opinion of our police officers.
 
N1611B
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:03 am

2122M wrote:
N1611B wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

What is your point here? It's a fact European police handle situations better than whatever these state funded KKK militias we have in the US do.


European cops don't have to deal with getting shot in large numbers like our cops do. European cops also don't police a heavily armed populace


I guess that’s more evidence that strict gun laws save lives.


What do all of the most dangerous and crime-ridden cities in the US have in common? Strict gun laws. Laws are useless unless they are enforced. To enforce the laws you have to have an adequate number of police officers.
 
N1611B
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:04 am

seb146 wrote:
N1611B wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

What is your point here? It's a fact European police handle situations better than whatever these state funded KKK militias we have in the US do.


European cops don't have to deal with getting shot in large numbers like our cops do. European cops also don't police a heavily armed populace


And we do not hear about European police pulling unarmed men out of cars and injuring or killing them.


Nor do we hear about criminals shooting European police officers on the regular. The US is a much more dangerous place to be a police officer. By and large, our cops do an amazing job.
 
N1611B
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:07 am

BN747 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
extender wrote:

And here you have it, why America is descending into that clag of mediocrity. There is no respect for the police, there is no respect period. Anyone that has a conflicting view is suddenly racist, and must be doxed or beaten. Their views don't matter, but yours do.

This sudden drop in stature has, IMO a lot to do with Obama's presidency. Remember: "...the police acted stupidly..." without having all the facts.

You would have blamed the police anyways had he had a massive heart attack and dropped dead. In Ferguson, Tiny should have been left to reap his loot from a strong-arm robbery? Resist arrest and reach for the cop's gun, well, stupid games and stupid prizes.

My apologies, but unless people return to that sense of personal responsibility, nothing will change.


Blue ISIS has proven time and time again they have no respect for the general public, do not respect or follow the Constitution, and think they follow a totally separate set of laws than we do.

Garner's case was totally separate from Ferguson. Can't even compare the two. Maybe this country wouldn't be so "mediocre" if the police had respect for the people paying their bills and that they are "sworn to protect".

Police rob all the time, whether it is cameras, phones, vehicles, or your freedom. The police are there to protect your life, liberty, and property against thieves, rapists, assaults, and murder. Everything else is just revenue generation for the state.

I invite you to go watch any "first amendment audit" video on Youtube to go see the disconnect. The police LOVE to escalate situations and try to find a crime wherever possible, usually with their favorite "interfering with an investigation", "failure to comply", "failure to ID", or "resisting arrest" when there was no reason for an arrest to occur in the first place. These piggies HATE being held accountable, so they go after anyone with a camera or not "respecting my authoritah".

The police in the US deserve no respect until they respect us and stop being so trigger happy. Then again, with people like you around who bow down to them every-time you pass them on the street, why should they bother?



Your post after this is spot on.

For these Blue Isis supporters demanding 'more respect for police'...ponder this for minute.

Headline: Police Shoot Unarmed Fat Man, thought he was reaching for a gun.

2nd Headline: Police pull pregnant Fat Woman From Car Because She Would Not Exit Fast Enough.

3rd: Headline: Police Shot Fat Man in the Back

110th Headline: Police Shoot Fat Man Trying to Surrender.

...how many unarmed FAT People being suspiciously shot by Police would it take for overweight people to start being worried about Police?

Now substitute Fat People for Black People....and now you see the disparity.

For Every 10 Decent American Police officer doing a great service..there's at least 1 somewhere permanently turning a citizen against them because of his irrational overkill reaction to situation a saner mind would handle with ease?


BN747


1. African-Americans make up 13% of the population, but per FBI statistics commit nearly 50% of the homicides in the US each year. It stands to reason that the police would have more violence encounters when dealing with a group that statistically is involved in more violent crimes.

2. Unarmed people have killed cops in the past. Shooting unarmed people can be completely justified if the unarmed person is attacking you (i.e., Ferguson).
 
bgm
Topic Author
Posts: 2173
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:54 am

N1611B wrote:
By and large, our cops do an amazing job.


That is a highly subjective, not to mention dubious claim. The US' relationship with law enforcement is a bizarre one. Law enforcement in the US is overtly aggressive and antagonistic. Situations that could've been calmly resolved are often escalated with sometimes fatal consequences.
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]
 
extender
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:04 am

bgm wrote:
That is a highly subjective, not to mention dubious claim. The US' relationship with law enforcement is a bizarre one. Law enforcement in the US is overtly aggressive and antagonistic. Situations that could've been calmly resolved are often escalated with sometimes fatal consequences.


In the current climate, who can blame them? When you see a show like cops or the news, and the perp is asked, why did you run: "I was scared, sir." There is no thinking of consequences, or the actions of fleeing a normal stop has. Cops have a job to do, and the majority of their interactions are with unknown entities, they better have their game on. If I was in their shoes, I would do nothing different; I want to go home at the end of my shift, safe, to my family.

You complain about how heavy handed cops have become; the opposite is true. Back then they would belt you, really screw with you. Times have changed, oversight boards, video cameras, etc. Like with everything else, so shit happens. But when you use Ferguson, Baltimore or the guy in New York as rally cries, you're already up a duck's ass.
 
petertenthije
Posts: 3732
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:00 pm

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:20 am

extender wrote:
In the current climate, who can blame them? When you see a show like cops or the news, and the perp is asked, why did you run: "I was scared, sir." There is no thinking of consequences, or the actions of fleeing a normal stop has.
Good point.

When a european police officer wants to detain someone, he can just ask. The perp always puts on the handcoughs himself, sits himself down in the cop’s car and offers the officer a coffee. Totally different from the USA.

/sarcasm
Attamottamotta!
 
N1611B
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:06 pm

bgm wrote:
N1611B wrote:
By and large, our cops do an amazing job.


That is a highly subjective, not to mention dubious claim. The US' relationship with law enforcement is a bizarre one. Law enforcement in the US is overtly aggressive and antagonistic. Situations that could've been calmly resolved are often escalated with sometimes fatal consequences.


That's because situations that could be calmly resolved in many countries end up with police officers being shot in the United States. Take a look at some body cam videos on YouTube you'll see how quickly some people are able to change from polite and cooperative to deadly once they are told they are going to jail.
 
N1611B
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:07 pm

petertenthije wrote:
extender wrote:
In the current climate, who can blame them? When you see a show like cops or the news, and the perp is asked, why did you run: "I was scared, sir." There is no thinking of consequences, or the actions of fleeing a normal stop has.
Good point.

When a european police officer wants to detain someone, he can just ask. The perp always puts on the handcoughs himself, sits himself down in the cop’s car and offers the officer a coffee. Totally different from the USA.

/sarcasm


European cops don't have to police a populace where there are more guns than people. European cops also aren't shot and killed very often while cops in the US are shot pretty regularly.
 
bgm
Topic Author
Posts: 2173
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:13 pm

N1611B wrote:
bgm wrote:
N1611B wrote:
By and large, our cops do an amazing job.


That is a highly subjective, not to mention dubious claim. The US' relationship with law enforcement is a bizarre one. Law enforcement in the US is overtly aggressive and antagonistic. Situations that could've been calmly resolved are often escalated with sometimes fatal consequences.


That's because situations that could be calmly resolved in many countries end up with police officers being shot in the United States. Take a look at some body cam videos on YouTube you'll see how quickly some people are able to change from polite and cooperative to deadly once they are told they are going to jail.


Conversely, what about the perpetrators who lost their lives due to trigger happy cops? Also, plenty of video evidence. The issue is you refuse to acknowledge the systematic abuse by cops across the country. Under the guise of 'we're in serious danger, so we have carte blanche to over-react without any repercussion' is what happens. This should not be the M.O. for any law enforcement officer, and is why you end up with so many bent cops.
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]
 
User avatar
DL717
Posts: 1734
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:16 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
Blue ISIS is not here protecting you and me, they are here to protect politicians, large corporations, and the rich. They hate accountability and hate the Constitution.


“Blue ISIS” and “piggies” all in one post. I bet you don’t have a sign in your front yard that says “if this house is being burglarized you Blue ISIS piggy’s don’t have to do anything”.

Disgusting.

N1611B wrote:
petertenthije wrote:
extender wrote:
In the current climate, who can blame them? When you see a show like cops or the news, and the perp is asked, why did you run: "I was scared, sir." There is no thinking of consequences, or the actions of fleeing a normal stop has.
Good point.

When a european police officer wants to detain someone, he can just ask. The perp always puts on the handcoughs himself, sits himself down in the cop’s car and offers the officer a coffee. Totally different from the USA.

/sarcasm


European cops don't have to police a populace where there are more guns than people. European cops also aren't shot and killed very often while cops in the US are shot pretty regularly.


Guns aren’t the problem. Devaluation of human life is. It’s why 90% of gun crimes happen in the urban cores where drugs, prostitution and cash run the show. Some of these people clearly don’t get that.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 9696
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:24 pm

extender wrote:
bgm wrote:
That is a highly subjective, not to mention dubious claim. The US' relationship with law enforcement is a bizarre one. Law enforcement in the US is overtly aggressive and antagonistic. Situations that could've been calmly resolved are often escalated with sometimes fatal consequences.


Times have changed, oversight boards, video cameras, etc. Like with everything else, so shit happens. But when you use Ferguson, Baltimore or the guy in New York as rally cries, you're already up a duck's ass.


No credibility. On and on about personal responsibility and today's climate, yet crickets about the absolution of various convicted criminals by the current halls of power highlighted in reply 119. Zero credibility.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 9696
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:33 pm

DL717 wrote:
Guns aren’t the problem. Devaluation of human life is. It’s why 90% of gun crimes happen in the urban cores where drugs, prostitution and cash run the show. Some of these people clearly don’t get that.


Guns are part and parcel of the urban core problems you describe - but they fester due to societal neglect and hopelessness.

Look at what happens when education and community support are actually invested in, as Harris Rosen says, 'when there's no hope, what's the point of doing anything?'

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/ed ... story.html
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 3132
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:35 pm

Pinker in Angels of our Better Nature documented that police shooting people and people shooting police have been improving for decades. In part it is that every shooting receives far more coverage than before. Subtract out the cases where the criminal clearly had a weapon and was acting in a threatening manner and police shootings are far less.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
N1611B
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:44 pm

bgm wrote:
N1611B wrote:
bgm wrote:

That is a highly subjective, not to mention dubious claim. The US' relationship with law enforcement is a bizarre one. Law enforcement in the US is overtly aggressive and antagonistic. Situations that could've been calmly resolved are often escalated with sometimes fatal consequences.


That's because situations that could be calmly resolved in many countries end up with police officers being shot in the United States. Take a look at some body cam videos on YouTube you'll see how quickly some people are able to change from polite and cooperative to deadly once they are told they are going to jail.


Conversely, what about the perpetrators who lost their lives due to trigger happy cops? Also, plenty of video evidence. The issue is you refuse to acknowledge the systematic abuse by cops across the country. Under the guise of 'we're in serious danger, so we have carte blanche to over-react without any repercussion' is what happens. This should not be the M.O. for any law enforcement officer, and is why you end up with so many bent cops.


Sure, there are a handful of those cases each year. With a group of 800,000 people, you are going to have some bad people in that group. The truly egregious shootings are rare, though, and generalizing 800,000 people as "Blue ISIS" because 0.0001% of that group acted improperly is no different than people bashing all Muslims because of the actions of ISIS and Al Qaeda.
 
2122M
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:50 pm

N1611B wrote:
2122M wrote:
N1611B wrote:

European cops don't have to deal with getting shot in large numbers like our cops do. European cops also don't police a heavily armed populace


I guess that’s more evidence that strict gun laws save lives.


What do all of the most dangerous and crime-ridden cities in the US have in common? Strict gun laws. Laws are useless unless they are enforced. To enforce the laws you have to have an adequate number of police officers.


You're right. Its really surprising that the checkpoints along our state lines don't stop more of these guns flowing into high crime areas. As an example, it's really shocking that the Illinois Border Patrol doesn't confiscate more weapons coming into Chicago from Wisconsin and Indiana....

(I trust you're feeling the sarcasm here. The point is, gun restrictions are useless unless they are federally enforced. State and local laws are useless as you can see with my example above)
 
BN747
Posts: 6767
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:55 pm

N1611B wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Blue ISIS has proven time and time again they have no respect for the general public, do not respect or follow the Constitution, and think they follow a totally separate set of laws than we do.

Garner's case was totally separate from Ferguson. Can't even compare the two. Maybe this country wouldn't be so "mediocre" if the police had respect for the people paying their bills and that they are "sworn to protect".

Police rob all the time, whether it is cameras, phones, vehicles, or your freedom. The police are there to protect your life, liberty, and property against thieves, rapists, assaults, and murder. Everything else is just revenue generation for the state.

I invite you to go watch any "first amendment audit" video on Youtube to go see the disconnect. The police LOVE to escalate situations and try to find a crime wherever possible, usually with their favorite "interfering with an investigation", "failure to comply", "failure to ID", or "resisting arrest" when there was no reason for an arrest to occur in the first place. These piggies HATE being held accountable, so they go after anyone with a camera or not "respecting my authoritah".

The police in the US deserve no respect until they respect us and stop being so trigger happy. Then again, with people like you around who bow down to them every-time you pass them on the street, why should they bother?



Your post after this is spot on.

For these Blue Isis supporters demanding 'more respect for police'...ponder this for minute.

Headline: Police Shoot Unarmed Fat Man, thought he was reaching for a gun.

2nd Headline: Police pull pregnant Fat Woman From Car Because She Would Not Exit Fast Enough.

3rd: Headline: Police Shot Fat Man in the Back

110th Headline: Police Shoot Fat Man Trying to Surrender.

...how many unarmed FAT People being suspiciously shot by Police would it take for overweight people to start being worried about Police?

Now substitute Fat People for Black People....and now you see the disparity.

For Every 10 Decent American Police officer doing a great service..there's at least 1 somewhere permanently turning a citizen against them because of his irrational overkill reaction to situation a saner mind would handle with ease?


BN747


1. African-Americans make up 13% of the population, but per FBI statistics commit nearly 50% of the homicides in the US each year. It stands to reason that the police would have more violence encounters when dealing with a group that statistically is involved in more violent crimes.

2. Unarmed people have killed cops in the past. Shooting unarmed people can be completely justified if the unarmed person is attacking you (i.e., Ferguson).



Hmmmm..forgive my observance of someone joining A.net 5 days ago posting 13+ post a day in Non-Av, that's gotta be a newbie's record! Smells like someone's been traveling under a past disguise with new veneer, ok, I bite...

First off, those 'quoted stats' are shaky as hell, suspect and are you doing to best to justify taking the lives of unarmed people...and too happy to do it.
Secondly, go ahead, list all those unarmed people who've killed cops...then post and compare the number of unarmed persons killed by police.

Thirdly, explain the logic behind your acceptance of unarmed indidviduals being gunned down.


BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
extender
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:10 pm

BN747 wrote:
Thirdly, explain the logic behind your acceptance of unarmed individuals being gunned down.


Must every statement be prefaced by: "I do not accept unarmed individuals being gunned down?" The police aren't making the country a mediocre place, it is those that have no responsibility of their actions, who always have a crutch, and are out to get something for nothing.
 
BN747
Posts: 6767
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:13 pm

extender wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Thirdly, explain the logic behind your acceptance of unarmed individuals being gunned down.


Must every statement be prefaced by: "I do not accept unarmed individuals being gunned down?" The police aren't making the country a mediocre place, it is those that have no responsibility of their actions, who always have a crutch, and are out to get something for nothing.


Faulty Logic 2.0

They certainly are NOT making America better given their history....so yeah, that rep falls between mediocre and disturbing.


BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
N1611B
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:20 pm

BN747 wrote:
N1611B wrote:
BN747 wrote:


Your post after this is spot on.

For these Blue Isis supporters demanding 'more respect for police'...ponder this for minute.

Headline: Police Shoot Unarmed Fat Man, thought he was reaching for a gun.

2nd Headline: Police pull pregnant Fat Woman From Car Because She Would Not Exit Fast Enough.

3rd: Headline: Police Shot Fat Man in the Back

110th Headline: Police Shoot Fat Man Trying to Surrender.

...how many unarmed FAT People being suspiciously shot by Police would it take for overweight people to start being worried about Police?

Now substitute Fat People for Black People....and now you see the disparity.

For Every 10 Decent American Police officer doing a great service..there's at least 1 somewhere permanently turning a citizen against them because of his irrational overkill reaction to situation a saner mind would handle with ease?


BN747


1. African-Americans make up 13% of the population, but per FBI statistics commit nearly 50% of the homicides in the US each year. It stands to reason that the police would have more violence encounters when dealing with a group that statistically is involved in more violent crimes.

2. Unarmed people have killed cops in the past. Shooting unarmed people can be completely justified if the unarmed person is attacking you (i.e., Ferguson).



Hmmmm..forgive my observance of someone joining A.net 5 days ago posting 13+ post a day in Non-Av, that's gotta be a newbie's record! Smells like someone's been traveling under a past disguise with new veneer, ok, I bite...

First off, those 'quoted stats' are shaky as hell, suspect and are you doing to best to justify taking the lives of unarmed people...and too happy to do it.
Secondly, go ahead, list all those unarmed people who've killed cops...then post and compare the number of unarmed persons killed by police.

Thirdly, explain the logic behind your acceptance of unarmed indidviduals being gunned down.


BN747


I've been a longtime lurker here (10+ years). Didn't create an account because when I tried to many moons ago you had to pay for access to the forums. When I discovered recently that was no longer the case, I signed up. I'm a lover of aviation like everyone else on these boards, but I don't work in the industry and I fly once a year if I'm lucky, so I just don't have a whole lot to add to the aviation boards, but I do enjoy reading them.

I can think of two officers who were killed by unarmed people last year (one was disarmed by a driver during a traffic stop and killed with his own gun, the other was struck in the head with a rock and then had his pistol stolen and used to murder him). So, as we can see, unarmed does not equate to not dangerous.

The Washington Post analyzes police shootings each year and has found that the vast majority of people killed by police each year are armed with guns or knives. Of the small number of unarmed people killed each year, many were physically attacking police officers when they were shot (see Mike Brown as an example). Others committed suicide by cop (i.e. they pointed a toy gun or something else that resembled a firearm at a police officer in order to convince the officer to shoot them). Still others were shot while driving towards officers while fleeing in vehicles (which are deadly weapons in their own right). Only a small number of the remainder of people who were shot while unarmed were actually questionable.
 
extender
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:20 pm

As I mentioned before, I hope you never need one.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20703
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: America the Mediocre

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:20 pm

extender wrote:
bgm wrote:
That is a highly subjective, not to mention dubious claim. The US' relationship with law enforcement is a bizarre one. Law enforcement in the US is overtly aggressive and antagonistic. Situations that could've been calmly resolved are often escalated with sometimes fatal consequences.


In the current climate, who can blame them? When you see a show like cops or the news, and the perp is asked, why did you run: "I was scared, sir." There is no thinking of consequences, or the actions of fleeing a normal stop has. Cops have a job to do, and the majority of their interactions are with unknown entities, they better have their game on. If I was in their shoes, I would do nothing different; I want to go home at the end of my shift, safe, to my family.

You complain about how heavy handed cops have become; the opposite is true. Back then they would belt you, really screw with you. Times have changed, oversight boards, video cameras, etc. Like with everything else, so shit happens. But when you use Ferguson, Baltimore or the guy in New York as rally cries, you're already up a duck's ass.


And, still, unarmed children are shot to death, Black people are handcuffed because they are having a picnic, people are dragged from their homes and roughed up because someone saw a shadow, not to mention the number of times drugs are planted just so the officers can rough up and arrest someone.

Too many American officers have a God complex. With all the reports of minorities being hospitalized or killed while obeying orders while white people who run receive just a scrape or two. Is it any wonder why Americans fear those tasked with protecting us? It should not be that way. But here we are.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: afcjets, blockski, DarkSnowyNight, WidebodyPTV and 53 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos