LittleSprocket
Topic Author

Trumps next SCOTUS appointment

Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:51 am

Looks like Justice Ginsburg has come down with a case of pancreatic cancer, this following her bout of lung cancer this past winter. Statistically speaking, you have a 20% chance of survival at the 1 year mark after diagnosis and treatment...Justice Ginsburg is 86 and has been in bad health for a while now.

So who do y’all suspect will get the next nomination when she passes and how long will it take the looney left to bring up baseless sexual assault accusations (their go to claims)?

dragon-wings

Re: Trumps next SCOTUS appointment

Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:35 am

If anything does happen the Democrats should do exactly what the Republicans did with Merrick Garland and stall until after the election is over.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

LittleSprocket
Topic Author

Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:41 am

dragon-wings wrote:
If anything does happen the Democrats should do exactly what the Republicans did with Merrick Garland and stall until after the election is over.

You mean like they tried with Kavenough? The only thing Democrat’s have to rely on is false sexual assault claims, it’s their go to argument after all.

Super80Fan

Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:54 am

She's still alive and well: https://www.npr.org/2019/08/23/75369901 ... t-this-sum

May you live another 100 years, Ruth.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

AirplaneFixer

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:11 am

LittleSprocket wrote:
dragon-wings wrote:

You mean like they tried with Kavenough? The only thing Democrat’s have to rely on is false sexual assault claims, it’s their go to argument after all.

It's spelled KAVANAUGH. I'm quite surprised that someone as big a fan as you are didn't know that. Huh.. Well at least you got the long time, well respected, supreme court justice' name correct!

Kent350787

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:29 am

I think the Dems have a responsibility to the country and the rest of the world to block until a change of president.

einsteinboricua

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:30 am

Kent350787 wrote:
I think the Dems have a responsibility to the country and the rest of the world to block until a change of president.

Follow the McConnell rule.

Oh it will be so ironic if a seat becomes available next year (at any time) and McConnell rushes to fill it. The ads making KY the laughingstock of the nation, the immense backlash the GOP may receive from voters (evangelicals will have no reason to vote since the seat would be filled...liberals, however, would turn out in droves).

Let's see what happens. I'm REALLY hoping RBG and Breyer hold on a tad longer until a Democrat Senate and President are elected. And if that happens, I hope the candidates chosen are well below their 50s so that they serve for decades to come.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

EA CO AS

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:46 am

einsteinboricua wrote:

On this we agree. I did not care for the way President Obama's pick - Merrick Garland - did not get a fair up or down vote, simply based on it being an election year. If Justice Ginsburg were to retire or otherwise be unable to discharge her duties after November 2019, I feel President Trump should hold off on naming and confirming a successor.

Having said that, Justice Thomas is getting on in years, and I think now would be the ideal time, particularly because it's not a guarantee that President Trump wins re-election in 2020, for him to step down so the president can fast-track a young conservative successor like Amy Coney Barrett and secure that seat for the next 20 years.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Super80Fan

Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:22 am

Just like the right screams "Benghazi", the left screams "Garland".

I am still hoping RBG has years left in her.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

trpmb6

Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:55 pm

She is a fighter, no doubt she will live beyond 2020 in my eyes. And since Thomas was mentioned earlier I see no reason for him stepping down. He will be there for many years as well.

Anyways, nothing the senate dems can do when they don't have a majority. And to the person that called it the McConnell rule: its actually the biden rule.

blueflyer

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:10 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Let's see what happens. I'm REALLY hoping RBG and Breyer hold on a tad longer until a Democrat Senate and President are elected. And if that happens, I hope the candidates chosen are well below their 50s so that they serve for decades to come.

When RGB retires after our new president comes into office in 2021, she should be replaced by AOC...

(ok, AOC is wholly unqualified as a justice - for now - but the mass apoplexy would be priceless to watch...)
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

seb146

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:42 pm

I wonder if some moderate Senate Republicans are seeing this and seeing "the chosen one" telling SCOTUS how to rule and are thinking of siding with Democrats to block a nomination, if it happens?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

SanDiegoLover

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:16 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

Follow the McConnell rule.

Oh it will be so ironic if a seat becomes available next year (at any time) and McConnell rushes to fill it. The ads making KY the laughingstock of the nation, the immense backlash the GOP may receive from voters (evangelicals will have no reason to vote since the seat would be filled...liberals, however, would turn out in droves).

McConnell has already said he would fill the SCOTUS seat if a vacancy happens in 2020. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... 20/590452/

jpetekyxmd80

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:18 pm

LittleSprocket wrote:
Looks like Justice Ginsburg has come down with a case of pancreatic cancer, this following her bout of lung cancer this past winter. Statistically speaking, you have a 20% chance of survival at the 1 year mark after diagnosis and treatment...Justice Ginsburg is 86 and has been in bad health for a while now.

Well she had pancreatic cancer 10 years ago too, so maybe you should know what you're talking about.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

THS214

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:53 pm

LittleSprocket wrote:
dragon-wings wrote:

I watched Kavanaugh hearing and he was lying. Turned out that he is not biased but balanced judge. No partisan but a judge that rules by the law. Hope that continues and for Americans I hope you get nonpartisan judges to supreme court. Law and good for the people over politics.

THS214

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:59 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Justice Thomas is getting on in years, and I think now would be the ideal time, particularly because it's not a guarantee that President Trump wins re-election in 2020, for him to step down so the president can fast-track a young conservative successor like Amy Coney Barrett and secure that seat for the next 20 years.

So you don't care what is right or wrong but what is your political view should prevail? Why not a nonpartisan judge? Politics and justice randomly go hand in hand.

einsteinboricua

Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:36 pm

THS214 wrote:
Why not a nonpartisan judge? Politics and justice randomly go hand in hand.

Judges, especially SCOTUS justices, were always considered nonpartisan. It was only when McConnell decided to blockade Garland that the SCOTUS finally became politicized because the makeup would have meant that, for the first time since the early 70s, the court would have had a more liberal leaning, even though Garland would have been a moderate like Kennedy. If the court is politicized or polarized, blame KY's senior senator who will be going against his own precedent.

trpmb6 wrote:
And to the person that called it the McConnell rule: its actually the biden rule.

1. It has never been an official Senate rule (unlike the Byrd rule which was adopted and has been practice ever since).
2. When Biden mentioned it, there was no SCOTUS vacancy, so the "rule" was never put into place.
3. How convenient it is to leave out the speech, where Biden did not object to hold hearings AFTER the campaign was over (i.e. not make the Supreme Court a political issue).

Then-Senator Biden wrote:
"In my view, politics has played far too large a role in the Reagan-Bush nominations to date. One can only imagine that role becoming overarching if a choice were made this year, assuming a justice announced tomorrow that he or she was stepping down.

"Should a justice resign this summer and the president move to name a successor, actions that will occur just days before the Democratic Presidential Convention and weeks before the Republican Convention meets, a process that is already in doubt in the minds of many will become distrusted by all. Senate consideration of a nominee under these circumstances is not fair to the president, to the nominee, or to the Senate itself.

"Mr. President, where the nation should be treated to a consideration of constitutional philosophy, all it will get in such circumstances is a partisan bickering and political posturing from both parties and from both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue. As a result, it is my view that if a Supreme Court Justice resigns tomorrow, or within the next several weeks, or resigns at the end of the summer, President Bush should consider following the practice of a majority of his predecessors and not — and not — name a nominee until after the November election is completed."

4. If you're gonna call it a rule (Biden or McConnell), ensure that it is followed consistently. McConnell is now shifting gears from "the President should not appoint someone and instead the people should decide on who gets to fill the seat" to "Oh yes, we will fill it. In 2016 we were just following precedent since the last time a vacancy occurred where the Senate and President were from different parties was 1888, but this time we hold both so no reason not to fill it". As mentioned above: Biden said to hold potential hearings AFTER the elections; McConnell flat out refused (even with a candidate Republicans had no objections over).

Ken777

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:37 pm

LittleSprocket wrote:

So who do y’all suspect will get the next nomination when she passes and how long will it take the looney left to bring up baseless sexual assault accusations (their go to claims)?

My sister ini law in Australia lasted a bit over 5 years after her diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. Not all fun times, but she lived a pretty active live until her last month.

As for lung cancer, I've lost the upper right lobe due to the best lung cancer you can get. No chemo or radiation and my doc has one patient who has lived 25+ years after his surgery.

There are no guarantees how long Justice Ginsburg will live, but I believe it is critical that she out lasts Trump and McConnell. A USSC out of ao out of balance in either direction is a very bad think for this country.

BTW, isn't the House still looking at Kavanaugh for his rape and lies under oath? Maybe we'll get lucky.

NIKV69

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:37 pm

I get the feeling Ruth will live at least another two years so we won't have to worry about the last year of the term routine and If Trump gets a second term the far left will really melt down.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die,

KFLLCFII

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:08 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
I get the feeling Ruth will live at least another two years so we won't have to worry about the last year of the term routine and If Trump gets a second term the far left will really melt down.

Indeed. Could very well lead to a 7-2 court for many years.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

TTailedTiger

Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:45 am

Kent350787 wrote:

They don't control the Senate. If you think McConnell would entertain their stall tactics then I have the deed to the City of Atlantis to sell you.

bgm

Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:48 am

LittleSprocket wrote:
dragon-wings wrote:

What proof do you have that they were false?
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

TTailedTiger

Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:50 am

blueflyer wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

When RGB retires after our new president comes into office in 2021, she should be replaced by AOC...

(ok, AOC is wholly unqualified as a justice - for now - but the mass apoplexy would be priceless to watch...)

Yeah just like you all said Trump would never win in 2016. You liberals never learn. Why do you think you are always right? Mass delusion for sure. A logical person doesn't make such foolish statements. No one knows who will win.

Super80Fan

Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:48 am

bgm wrote:
LittleSprocket wrote:
dragon-wings wrote:

What proof do you have that they were true?
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

seb146

Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:57 am

Super80Fan wrote:
bgm wrote:
LittleSprocket wrote:

We HAVE TO believe every single woman who accuses a Democrat. Both sides to it, so, we HAVE TO believe every single woman who accuses a Republican. Because both sides do it. Or, are you saying only one side deserves to be heard?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

bgm

Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:07 am

Super80Fan wrote:
bgm wrote:
LittleSprocket wrote:

Littlesproket claimed they were false. I was asking for proof of that claim. I don’t have any proof either way so why are you asking me?
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

DL717

Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:32 pm

blueflyer wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

The entire country would lose their collective shit if this happened. Left and Right.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:23 pm

DL717 wrote:
The entire country would lose their collective shit if this happened. Left and Right.

While I would not support AOC to the Supreme Court, I will admit I'd like to watch how conservatives lose their minds at having an RBG on steroids in the court.

P1aneMad

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:29 pm

bgm wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
bgm wrote:

Littlesproket claimed they were false. I was asking for proof of that claim. I don’t have any proof either way so why are you asking me?

You can't reverse the burden of proof. Justice Kavanaugh didn't have to prove he wasn't an elephant. Michael Avenatti had to.

NIKV69

Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:39 pm

I thought this was a thread about RBG? Why are these posts about Kavanaugh still here?
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die,