Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Idea for Queen Mary:The Gray Ghost Movie

Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:47 am

There should be a big budget movie made about a wartime transatlantic crossing from New York to Scotland on the Queen Mary, similar to Titanic (1997), showing the role of the Queen Mary as a troopship and it's importance in World War 2. Scenes should be filmed at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, including many of the interior spaces as well as the exterior shots of the Queen Mary itself, New York City including the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, and the Clyde in Scotland. This would draw audiences in a similar way to Titanic and would increase recognition of the Queen Mary. This could lead to an increased interest in ocean liners and lead to a few ocean liners being built to sail the Atlantic and other routes. Furthermore, the Queen Mary could finally become profitable and a household name. The title of the movie should be called Queen Mary: The Gray Ghost.

TSS

Re: Idea for Queen Mary:The Gray Ghost Movie

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:31 am

I think you may have missed the entire point of the movie Titanic: It was a sappy "unrequited love" story with the ship and it's maiden voyage as a backdrop and the sinking of the ship as a plot device. Furthermore, there was plenty of room on that door for the both of them but she preferred to watch Jack die an icy death right before her eyes rather than run the risk of getting her feet wet by letting him join her.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

vikkyvik

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:41 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
There should be a big budget movie made about a wartime transatlantic crossing from New York to Scotland on the Queen Mary, similar to Titanic (1997), showing the role of the Queen Mary as a troopship and it's importance in World War 2. Scenes should be filmed at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, including many of the interior spaces as well as the exterior shots of the Queen Mary itself, New York City including the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, and the Clyde in Scotland. This would draw audiences in a similar way to Titanic and would increase recognition of the Queen Mary. This could lead to an increased interest in ocean liners and lead to a few ocean liners being built to sail the Atlantic and other routes. Furthermore, the Queen Mary could finally become profitable and a household name. The title of the movie should be called Queen Mary: The Gray Ghost.

Since you know what should be done, why don't you make it?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

TSS

Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:55 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:
Since you know what should be done, why don't you make it?

I feel like we've found our resident Izod-Amazon-Pink expert's cousin, except this one is obsessed with ocean liners and landmarks.

And retread tires. Don't forget the retread tires.

seb146

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:21 pm

Guys, calm down. We all have interests outside aviation.

I think there could probably be a movie made about Queen Mary being used during war time, where she would have a huge supporting role. Maybe it could be along the lines of Titanic where a couple is torn apart by war, a miscommunication leads to heartbreak and, at wars' end, the lovers are reunited?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:28 pm

seb146 wrote:

Understandable, but very few of us open multiple iterations of the same topic. How many Queen Mary topics have we seen in the past month alone?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

seb146

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:34 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Understandable, but very few of us open multiple iterations of the same topic. How many Queen Mary topics have we seen in the past month alone?

I don't recall. I wonder if the OP is on the Asperger's or autism spectrum? My brother is on the autism spectrum and I can see it as a possibility for OP and the IZOD bro. I am also keeping my mind open to the possibility they are both simply obsessed and no one in their immediate circle of friends and family want to hear about it anymore.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:06 pm

seb146 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I don't recall. I wonder if the OP is on the Asperger's or autism spectrum? My brother is on the autism spectrum and I can see it as a possibility for OP and the IZOD bro. I am also keeping my mind open to the possibility they are both simply obsessed and no one in their immediate circle of friends and family want to hear about it anymore.

I actually have autism.

seb146

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:42 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

I actually have autism.

There you go.

I didn't know how big a role the Queen Mary had in WWII. This topic is teaching me something. Thank you.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:31 pm

seb146 wrote:

I think there could probably be a movie made about Queen Mary being used during war time, where she would have a huge supporting role. Maybe it could be along the lines of Titanic where a couple is torn apart by war, a miscommunication leads to heartbreak and, at wars' end, the lovers are reunited?

The Queen Mary's collision with the Curacoa might be another good idea.

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:54 am

Honestly ArchGuy, I honestly feel that the story of the Gray Ghost is rather boring that Hollywood wouldn't be interested. Honestly, just look at what's being released today - superhero movies and remakes.

Unless you can weave a fictionalized story into the real story, a la Titanic, it's not going to work.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:12 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Honestly ArchGuy, I honestly feel that the story of the Gray Ghost is rather boring that Hollywood wouldn't be interested. Honestly, just look at what's being released today - superhero movies and remakes.

Unless you can weave a fictionalized story into the real story, a la Titanic, it's not going to work.

Dunkirk was rather successful even though it was not heavily fictionalized.

seb146

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:02 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

The Queen Mary's collision with the Curacoa might be another good idea.

Yes. That would be a great starting point. Hollywood would take liberties with the story but if it is historically accurate, that would be a great plot point.

BlueberryWheats

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:31 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

I would say though that the Dunkirk evacuation is a lot more prominent in people's knowledge of WW2, and dare I say... more interesting than a troop ship that didn't sink.

Unfortunately I don't think the Hollywood types will see a movie option there. The Britannic sinking in WW1 on the other hand...
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

TSS

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:49 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

I would say though that the Dunkirk evacuation is a lot more prominent in people's knowledge of WW2, and dare I say... more interesting than a troop ship that didn't sink.

Unfortunately I don't think the Hollywood types will see a movie option there. The Britannic sinking in WW1 on the other hand...

There ya go! Plus they already know how to build a convincing fake Britannic / Titanic / Olympic rather than having to shoot within the claustrophobic confines of an actual ship. When you consider how many people are present while a film scene is being shot including but not limited to actors, director, camera operator, script supervisor, lighting tech, sound tech, and dolly grip (the guy who moves and sets up the camera), filming in the confines of an old ship becomes a lot less attractive than filming on a set in a nice, roomy, soundstage on a studio backlot.

BlueberryWheats

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:48 am

TSS wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

There ya go! Plus they already know how to build a convincing fake Britannic / Titanic / Olympic rather than having to shoot within the claustrophobic confines of an actual ship. When you consider how many people are present while a film scene is being shot including but not limited to actors, director, camera operator, script supervisor, lighting tech, sound tech, and dolly grip (the guy who moves and sets up the camera), filming in the confines of an old ship becomes a lot less attractive than filming on a set in a nice, roomy, soundstage on a studio backlot.

And it'll probably work out better making a movie about a character as the main focus, rather than the ship.

As you say, seeing as they're so good at building an olympic class liner film set, maybe a film about Violet Jessop who survived the Olympic collision with HMS Hawke, the Titanic sinking AND the Britannic sinking. (Jinxed much!?)
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:58 pm

TSS wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Some scenes of the 1972 film Poseidon were actually filmed onboard the Queen Mary.

TSS

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:26 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
TSS wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:

Some scenes of the 1972 film Poseidon were actually filmed onboard the Queen Mary.

Any idea which ones? My guess would be the ones showing the bridge, and possibly a few establishing shots at the dock, etc. Since for the better part of the movie everything is upside-down and at a slight angle, everything in the latter 4/5ths or so would be sets.

I saw The Poseidon Adventure at the theater when it came out and numerous times since then, but I haven't seen it in a while now.

alfa164

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:20 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Honestly ArchGuy, I honestly feel that the story of the Gray Ghost is rather boring that Hollywood wouldn't be interested. Honestly, just look at what's being released today - superhero movies and remakes. Unless you can weave a fictionalized story into the real story, a la Titanic, it's not going to work.

How about a history of the Queen Mary's collision with the Curacoa - but in this movie, the ships are actually saved from sinking by a swarm of Marvel superheros. Of course, Captain Amnesia erases all the onboard participants' memories of how that happened... and the rest is history.

Sort of...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

TSS

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:51 am

alfa164 wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Honestly ArchGuy, I honestly feel that the story of the Gray Ghost is rather boring that Hollywood wouldn't be interested. Honestly, just look at what's being released today - superhero movies and remakes. Unless you can weave a fictionalized story into the real story, a la Titanic, it's not going to work.

How about a history of the Queen Mary's collision with the Curacoa - but in this movie, the ships are actually saved from sinking by a swarm of Marvel superheros. Of course, Captain Amnesia erases all the onboard participants' memories of how that happened... and the rest is history.

Sort of...

;)

If we're gonna dip into the scifi/fantasy pond, why not just dive into the deep end head-first and tell a story of the Queen Mary being the site of super-secret USS Eldridge-type experiments geared towards making large vessels invisible to radar (and everything else... Oops!) during it's time in WWII as a troop ship? The Philadelphia Experiment was a pretty good movie let down by not very good even for the time special effects, and this might be a far superior sequel/adjunct to that film.

About the "real" "Philadelphia Experiment"/USS Eldridge- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Experiment

... And the 1984 film of the same name- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Philadelphia_Experiment_(film)

alfa164

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:47 am

TSS wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Sort of...
;)

If we're gonna dip into the scifi/fantasy pond, why not just dive into the deep end head-first and tell a story of the Queen Mary being the site of super-secret USS Eldridge-type experiments geared towards making large vessels invisible to radar (and everything else... Oops!) during it's time in WWII as a troop ship? The Philadelphia Experiment was a pretty good movie let down by not very good even for the time special effects, and this might be a far superior sequel/adjunct to that film.
About the "real" "Philadelphia Experiment"/USS Eldridge- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Experiment
... And the 1984 film of the same name- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Philadelphia_Experiment_(film)

You're onto something - you can co-write the script!

The Queen Mary was the site of super-secret USS Eldridge-type experiments geared towards making large vessels invisible to radar (and everything else) during it's time in WWII as a troop ship. That is why the Curacao had a collision with it - it couldn't see it. And then they were both saved from sinking by a swarm of Marvel superheros... and Captain Amnesia erases all the onboard participants' memories of how that happened.

We've got the plot - now I hope all these interested readers will help us and fund the production. Send money to me directly...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....