einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Dash cam

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:32 pm

I've somehow been drawn to car crash videos on YouTube and there are many instances where the dash cam would actually exonerate a driver in a collision (many examples of insurance fraud, like backing into you and saying YOU crashed into them, or entering an intersection when the light is green to find someone running the red light). I've started considering buying one to protect against something like that.

Have at it a.netters. Anyone have a dash cam? Any recommendations? Any experiences you'd like to share?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

NIKV69

Re: Dash cam

Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:35 pm

Don't have one but at the price point you are silly not to.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

WildcatYXU

Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:44 pm

We have dash cams in every vehicle in the family. Cheap Chinese stuff recording 1080p/30fps. I'm thinking about buying forward/rear kits for my truck and Mrs. Wildcats car. Our youngest already purchased one for his car.
I don't know where you live now, so I should mention that not every dash camera is capable recording when is very cold. Ours usually reset all settings when temperatures drop under -25C. Not a frequent occurrence in southern Ontario, but it did happen.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:50 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
I don't know where you live now, so I should mention that not every dash camera is capable recording when is very cold. Ours usually reset all settings when temperatures drop under -25C. Not a frequent occurrence in southern Ontario, but it did happen.

Puget Sound area. It would be one heck of a cold snap if we drop to -25C (or -13F for US folks).

With the move further south and having a longer commute time on a VERY busy road prone to accidents daily, I'm thinking a dash cam may save me a few headaches.

extender

Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:02 pm

Cheap insurance. Check the specs before you buy, some require a certain size MicroSD card. You will definitely catch something worthwhile in your travels.

Erebus

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:25 pm

I got mine for less than 200 bucks. Front and back cam 1080p 30fps and included a good sized MicroSD card. Was a nobrainer for that kind of a price. I've never needed it, but it is there if I need it. I have, however, captured some "interesting" moments of other drivers on the road. When getting one, be sure to note the field of view.

dtw2hyd

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:38 pm

A few years back one of my neighbors rented out to a family, one of the family members had a habit of crossing the street after noticing the vehicle and expect you to stop. After having a couple of close calls I got installed(hardwired) Lukas(Korean) dashcams front and back. Fortunately, they moved out.

Nothing interesting ever picked up, other than one guy overtook me when I slowed down for a red flashing school bus and crossed the bus only to be pulled over by the cop right behind me, and one idiot overtook 5 vehicles on a single lane highway up north forcing opposite traffic pull over to the shoulder to avoid a major crash.

My rear camera caught a kid swiping my GoPro from the bike, parent argued kid picked up from the ground until I showed the footage.

I read the parking mode cameras make comprehensive coverage claims easy.

cranberrysaus

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:15 pm

I have a dash cam - I genuinely feel like you're gambling if you drive in Atlanta without a dash cam - the drivers here are on a whole new level of dumb. My wife got t-boned once by a texting driver and like you said, she was extremely luckily in that the other person got scared and fessed up to the cop.

I haven't needed it as evidence yet, but some of the footage has come in handy. Most notable case was when a road rager that followed me back to my home to curse me out. Got their plates, face, and the whole conversation on video just in case.

fr8mech

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:28 pm

I’ve got an integrated GPS/Dashcam in 2 of our 3 cars.

http://amazon.com/gp/product/B075WZ85Z9 ... UTF8&psc=1

Works well. Haven’t had an issue.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

727LOVER

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:42 pm

I've somehow been drawn to car crash videos on YouTube

You & me both...LOL...I want one
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

727LOVER

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:55 pm

Thwarts insurance scams also...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09MK6qLPWOg
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:01 pm

727LOVER wrote:

It's one of those things that you watch one video and you get hooked on them, even though you wanna look away but can't.

But also brought up the facts about always having a way to record what happens to make insurance claims easy. Not only that, but it has got me thinking that I should get a larger vehicle. My Rio would likely not protect me against some of those violent collisions.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:03 pm

727LOVER wrote:

Bah...those are amateurs. This Brit would have gotten away with it if it weren't for the dashcam.

727LOVER

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:39 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

Bah...those are amateurs. This Brit would have gotten away with it if it weren't for the dashcam.

LOL....when I saw BRIT, I knew exactly which one it was...LOL

Super80Fan

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:27 am

Yes, in this day and age you'd be ridiculous not to have one, especially with more and more insurance scams going on. I'm surprised the insurance companies in the US haven't required them yet in all vehicles.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

TSS

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:00 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
WildcatYXU wrote:

Puget Sound area. It would be one heck of a cold snap if we drop to -25C (or -13F for US folks).

With the move further south and having a longer commute time on a VERY busy road prone to accidents daily, I'm thinking a dash cam may save me a few headaches.

Just be sure to get one that records front AND rear. Maybe not ironically, there are probably comparison videos of different types of dash cams on Youtube. One problem I've noticed is that some dash cams seem to get temporarily blinded as they adjust to changing light conditions such as when entering or exiting a tunnel or wide underpass.

einsteinboricua wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

It's one of those things that you watch one video and you get hooked on them, even though you wanna look away but can't.

But also brought up the facts about always having a way to record what happens to make insurance claims easy. Not only that, but it has got me thinking that I should get a larger vehicle. My Rio would likely not protect me against some of those violent collisions.

If you've watched many of the car crash videos, you've no doubt been stunned and horrified by how the smaller SUVs (Kia and Hyundai ones seemingly in particular) roll over on their side or roof with the lightest tap that barely even leaves much of a dent at the point of impact.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Kiwirob

Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:03 am

It can't be long before a dashcam becomes a factory fit option. Give it another decade and it will probably become a standard feature in all new cars.

Erebus

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:07 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
It can't be long before a dashcam becomes a factory fit option. Give it another decade and it will probably become a standard feature in all new cars.

It is a dealer installed option on many new car these days.

E2

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:45 pm

I bought a simple Nextbase 112 when I was back in the UK in January, 720p, 30fps to MicroSD. I was on the wrong end of a rear end bump last year and the other driver (Uber/99 Taxi) claimed I'd "brake tested" him. I ended up paying for the repair to my car rather then spend the next 10 years tied up in court with his leasing company.

The dash cam has already paid for itself several times over, once with a minor traffic bump that proved the other driver was at fault, and once when a traffic warden was too lazy/incompetent/corrupt to write up the correct car for not giving priority to pedestrians on a right turn. I contested the offence with the video and the whole thing was cancelled very quickly.

I used to think they were a pointless gimmick, now I'm a firm believer and wouldn't drive without one. I would like to see them become more "covert" for use here, the minor collision mentioned above got ugly very quickly when the other drive saw the camera. I might have given him the idea that it was uploading to the cloud and whatever he did would be recorded for posterity, so remote recording would be another plus point for me. There are automotive DVRs that do this, but I haven't seen a stand alone camera that does.
I had been told that the training procedure with cats was difficult. It’s not. Mine had me trained in two days. (Bill Dana)

offloaded

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:04 pm

Here in Portugal, they aren't legal unfortunately.
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:12 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

I was thinking about this. Won't be surprised if luxury vehicles add it as an option before it becomes mass produced with all vehicles.

727LOVER

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:43 pm

WingsFan

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:59 pm

offloaded wrote:

Strange. What's the rationale given for this ban? It seems oddly specific.

mham001

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:37 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

Tesla has all that and more. The Sentry Mode (several cameras) has been catching loads of thieves and vandals who are not aware of the car's capabilities. You should buy one.

I bought a Rexing dash cam two years ago with the plan of putting it up behind the mirror using the power wire to the mirror. The suction cup is just useless, any heat and it drops. Leaving it on the dash is just an invitation and I'm not going to move it every day/night. A permanent mount is required. I also found that the camera only records 5 minutes and shuts down, now they changed requirements and say it requires a super fast specialized memory card to work.

Off topic, I left an online review of that and have received several offers of cash equal to more than I paid for the camera from the US distributor to remove that negative review. Now I know when I see poor ratings, it is probably worse than we know.

offloaded

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:08 am

WingsFan wrote:
offloaded wrote:

Privacy laws, I believe. You can't randomly film people here. Even security cameras must follow strict guidelines, eg they can cover your property, but not your neighbour's.

I believe they are illegal in Italy too as a friend driving a UK registered motorhome was pulled over because the police spotted he had a dashcam. Even though it was off, they insisted he take it down.
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

AC_B777

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:43 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
I've somehow been drawn to car crash videos on YouTube and there are many instances where the dash cam would actually exonerate a driver in a collision (many examples of insurance fraud, like backing into you and saying YOU crashed into them, or entering an intersection when the light is green to find someone running the red light). I've started considering buying one to protect against something like that.

Have at it a.netters. Anyone have a dash cam? Any recommendations? Any experiences you'd like to share?

I'm the same way! I love watching car crash vids on youtube.
I shopped around for good quality dash cams a couple of years ago. The best affordable cam I found was the Viofo A119. It was selling on Amazon for around $115 CAD and the reviews are good and makes really nice video. I ended up buying a ThinkWare X330 because Best Buy had it on sale for about $80 CAD which was a excellent price at the time. Both cams are really good and affordable and make good quality videos. I think the Viofo A119 is a little better though.
Both cams produce 1080p video and both have capacitors which is what you want. Don't get a cam that is powered by a battery, get one that is powered by a capacitor because they work better in high heat or colder climates. Both cams I've mentioned can be plugged into a cigarette lighter in your car or hardwired.
Also, look for a cam that can use an SD card with a capacity of at least 64gb. I have a 32gb in mine and that works fine. Also, get a cam that loops and over writes the SD about once a month, but saves any impact/incident videos.
Good luck!!
In life, some days you are the bug..... some days you are the windshield!

slider

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:33 pm

I have one but haven't installed or wired it up yet. A friend's crash was my motivation for doing it, as he was in the right and got screwed until a totally different vehicle's dash cam caught his accident on the periphery and it exonerated him.

bhill

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:11 pm

offloaded wrote:
WingsFan wrote:
offloaded wrote:

Privacy laws, I believe. You can't randomly film people here. Even security cameras must follow strict guidelines, eg they can cover your property, but not your neighbour's.

I believe they are illegal in Italy too as a friend driving a UK registered motorhome was pulled over because the police spotted he had a dashcam. Even though it was off, they insisted he take it down.

Wait, so people and things in a public place are not allowed to be recorded? What about still photos in a public place?
Carpe Pices

T18

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:01 pm

Bought a cheap one a while back, had some minor issues with it but once I took the batteries out of it, it worked fine (still don't know why having the battery in kept it from working right but w/e) Do wish I bought a bigger SD card for it and also wish my PC had an SD slot (would make it so much easier to pull footage)
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

mham001

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:19 pm

T18 wrote:
Bought a cheap one a while back, had some minor issues with it but once I took the batteries out of it, it worked fine (still don't know why having the battery in kept it from working right but w/e) Do wish I bought a bigger SD card for it and also wish my PC had an SD slot (would make it so much easier to pull footage)

USB card readers are under $20.

T18

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:22 pm

mham001 wrote:
T18 wrote:

USB card readers are under $20.

May need to go pick my up one of those, would help with my other cameras too.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

fr8mech

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:11 am

offloaded wrote:

An article that's about a year old:

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/08/us ... in-europe/

Really not sure about the reliability of Which, but their information seems to match what other sites report.

Not to get off on too much of a tangent, but is there really some sort of expectation of privacy while in public in Europe?
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Airstud

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:34 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
WildcatYXU wrote:
It would be one heck of a cold snap if we drop to -25C (or -13F for US folks).

Heh. In the Twin Cities in January we never fail to get at least that cold.
Pancakes are delicious.

cranberrysaus

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:59 pm

T18 wrote:

I think common advice now is to get one without a battery, because they're too vulnerable to temperature swings. Most now have capacitors which give them enough juice to save the video when you turn the car off.