ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Empire State Building Admission Fee

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:51 pm

The current price for adults to visit the 86th floor observation deck is $38, which is expensive, but worth it to go up the Empire State Building. However, the admission fee should be more like $20 for adults as it would allow more working and middle class New Yorkers to enjoy the views from the observation deck of New York's most famous building. The current $38 is highly overpriced and keeps some people from visiting that otherwise might do so. The IDNYC program should be expanded to include discounted admission to the Empire State Building at like half price at least for those holding the card.

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Empire State Building Admission Fee

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:06 pm

By what measure is it overpriced? There’s often long lines to enter, lower the price and longer lines would result. How much room is there at the 86th floor? It’s not much, so more people wouldn’t get to visit anyway. The lack of basic economics is stunning. Viewing NYC from the building isn’t a right, it’s just a tourist attraction.

Gf

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:14 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
By what measure is it overpriced? There’s often long lines to enter, lower the price and longer lines would result. How much room is there at the 86th floor? It’s not much, so more people wouldn’t get to visit anyway. The lack of basic economics is stunning. Viewing NYC from the building isn’t a right, it’s just a tourist attraction.

Gf

The Freedom Tower has occasionally done discounted admission for certain days sometimes, like half price and the admission fee normally is close to that of the Empire State Building. The Eiffel Tower in Paris sees 6 million to 7 million visitors a year with an admission fee of like $17 for the second floor and they do it well.

Jetsgo

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:13 am

If the market bares $38, than that’s the price. You yourself said it’s expensive, but worth it. If $18 is the difference between a low-middle class New Yorker visiting the building or not, I would hope they choose to spend that $18 on something more worthwhile for themselves.

Of course you’re always free to build your own 86 floor observation deck in midtown and charge $20.

Economics 101.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

zakuivcustom

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:24 am

Supply and Demand. The price certainly didn't deter millions of people going up Empire State Building.

I mean, the other observatory in Midtown, Top of the Rock, is $36, or only $2 cheaper than Empire State Building. So Empire State Building is not really THAT overpriced.

P.S. How many people living in NYC really care that much about going up Empire State Building anyway?
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

LittleFokker

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:02 am

For the sake of comparison, the Willis (nee Sears) Tower Skydeck in Chicago is charging $25 for adults and $17 for kids under 12. But they really push hard buying a tourist bundle with other Chicago attractions to save money, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a similar bundle for New York.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:28 am

In 1996, the price to go up the Empire State Building was $4 for adults and they saw 3.5 million visitors a year even then. Even in 2001, the price for adults to go up the Empire State Building was $9.

rlwynn

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:10 am

I remember it was like $7 and not going up because that was too much.
I can drive faster than you

mad99

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:01 am

I’m just back from NYC and the top of the rock was more like 50 usd per adult. In general NYC is not cheap!

frmrCapCadet

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:33 pm

Locals can buy the City Pass, adults c$138, when I lived there I missed any number of things. Saw the later on a vacation. But for a local family it would make a great 'stay-vacation'. Family of 4-5, admissions, subway rides, treats, maybe a few other goodies - all for less that $1K. MOMA is not included, must see for adults, kids??
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:00 pm

rlwynn wrote:

Would you go up the Empire State Building today if it was $7.

Kno

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:09 pm

Do actual New Yorker's actually go up the Empire State building? I would imagine it's all tourists with the occasional field trip.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:12 pm

Kno wrote:
Do actual New Yorker's actually go up the Empire State building? I would imagine it's all tourists with the occasional field trip.

Sometimes they do, at least in the past.

DIRECTFLT

Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:55 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
In 1996, the price to go up the Empire State Building was $4 for adults and they saw 3.5 million visitors a year even then. Even in 2001, the price for adults to go up the Empire State Building was $9.

Capital improvements were made to the Empire State Building during the early to mid-1990s at a cost of $55 million. These improvements entailed replacing alarm systems, elevators, windows, and air conditioning; making the observation deck compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA); and refurbishing the limestone facade.

Then....The building's public areas received a $550 million renovation in 2009 with improvements to the air conditioning and waterproofing, renovations to the observation deck and main lobby, and relocation of the gift shop to the 80th floor.

In August 2018, in a move to improve the flow of visitor traffic, the main visitor's entrance was shifted to 20 West 34th Street as part of a major renovation of the observatory lobby.

Around 4 million tourists from around the world visiting the building's 86th and 102nd floor observatories every year.

The Empire State Building garners significant revenue from ticket sales for its observation decks, making more money from ticket sales than it does from renting office space during some years.

It's all about the Benjamins!! And pleasing the stockholders of Empire State Realty Trust, who own the building. (Net worth around $2.42B). https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/char ... /net-worth

Article above from Wikipedia.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:49 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Capital improvements were made to the Empire State Building during the early to mid-1990s at a cost of $55 million. These improvements entailed replacing alarm systems, elevators, windows, and air conditioning; making the observation deck compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA); and refurbishing the limestone facade.

Then....The building's public areas received a $550 million renovation in 2009 with improvements to the air conditioning and waterproofing, renovations to the observation deck and main lobby, and relocation of the gift shop to the 80th floor.

In August 2018, in a move to improve the flow of visitor traffic, the main visitor's entrance was shifted to 20 West 34th Street as part of a major renovation of the observatory lobby.

Around 4 million tourists from around the world visiting the building's 86th and 102nd floor observatories every year.

The Empire State Building garners significant revenue from ticket sales for its observation decks, making more money from ticket sales than it does from renting office space during some years.

It's all about the Benjamins!! And pleasing the stockholders of Empire State Realty Trust, who own the building. (Net worth around $2.42B). https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/char ... /net-worth

Article above from Wikipedia.

In 2010, the admission price was $20 and in 2013, the price was a still reasonable $25. Now the price is an expensive $38.

fr8mech

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:57 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:

While growing up in NY I only visited The Empire State Building on school trips, 2 or 3 times. Not once did I visit as a teen or adult, while living there.

I took my wife there several years ago, while visiting family.

I suspect a large majority of folks that grew up in NY visited as kids on school trips.

I further suspect that most native New Yorkers only visit when out of town guests ask them to join them.

ArchGuy1 wrote:
In 2010, the admission price was $20 and in 2013, the price was a still reasonable $25. Now the price is an expensive $38.

Expensive for you, but clearly the market bears the price.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

777222LR

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:50 am

It's about 95USD for the top of the Burj Khalifa...

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:14 am

fr8mech wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

While growing up in NY I only visited The Empire State Building on school trips, 2 or 3 times. Not once did I visit as a teen or adult, while living there.

I took my wife there several years ago, while visiting family.

I suspect a large majority of folks that grew up in NY visited as kids on school trips.

I further suspect that most native New Yorkers only visit when out of town guests ask them to join them.

ArchGuy1 wrote:

Expensive for you, but clearly the market bears the price.

Even though I feel that $38 is overpriced, I would still pay the price to go up the Empire State Building as it is my favorite building. I also live in Garland, Texas, a suburb of Dallas.

fr8mech

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:34 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Even though I feel that $38 is overpriced, I would still pay the price to go up the Empire State Building as it is my favorite building. I also live in Garland, Texas, a suburb of Dallas.

I lived in Bedford for a few years.

Soaking tourists is a time-honored practice. It usually starts at the airport and continues through the entire trip. Do you know what the rental car tax and fees are at DFW?

Around 33% for a one day rental.

ER757

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:21 pm

Kno wrote:

I grew up in the Chicago area and never went up Sears Tower until 1989 when out of town relatives came to visit and they wanted to go. I had been up the Hancock Building several times prior and I actually prefer it to Sears (now Willis) Tower - I can't imagine going to either nowadays if I ever go back to Chicago to visit again - anyone know what it costs these days?
Out here in Seattle, the Space needle is the big draw for such things - it's pretty expensive and when out of towners want to go there, I just wait downstairs in the gift shop while they go up.

DIRECTFLT

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:53 pm

I would pay to do the Empire State stuff, but not a nickel for that building that was built on top of the 9/11 site. The Empire is good enough for me.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:07 pm

ER757 wrote:
Kno wrote:

I grew up in the Chicago area and never went up Sears Tower until 1989 when out of town relatives came to visit and they wanted to go. I had been up the Hancock Building several times prior and I actually prefer it to Sears (now Willis) Tower - I can't imagine going to either nowadays if I ever go back to Chicago to visit again - anyone know what it costs these days?
Out here in Seattle, the Space needle is the big draw for such things - it's pretty expensive and when out of towners want to go there, I just wait downstairs in the gift shop while they go up.

The Sears Tower is $25 and the John Hancock Center $19.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:32 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
ER757 wrote:
Kno wrote:

The Sears Tower is $25 and the John Hancock Center $19.

Which makes the Empire State’s $38 spot on or a bargain considering the difference between Chi-town and NYC. Besides at the ESB you don’t have to think about the murder rate of Chicago.

GF

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:55 am

ER757 wrote:
Kno wrote:

It is about $29 to go up the Sears Tower.

Kent350787

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:48 am

I occasionally head up Sydney Tower, which is AUD29 (around USD20). I love the aerial view of my city, but the twer is not a great experience. More often, even as locals(admittedly with kids) we'd do it as an add-on to a multi attraction pass. Petronas Towers in KL is also around $20, a little cheaper for locals but not much.

I must say I'd pay what it took to do ESB or TOTR experience in NYC., but did search out a multi attraction pass. Surely that's what locals should do if they want to visit. The worst thing about both is the crowds to get in.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:59 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
ER757 wrote:
Kno wrote:

It is about $29 to go up the Sears Tower.

I actually meant the Space Needle.

fr8mech

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:24 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:

The Space Needle is $37.50

https://web.ticket.spaceneedle.com/?site=sn

I'm not sure I would recommend the restaurant. The food was undistinguished, at best.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:14 pm

For $20 (seniors, military c15) you can go to the observatory floor of the Smith Tower in Seattle. It is about the best buy, and while not the highest, because it is south of the tallest buildings the view is fabulous. As are the lobby, elevators and liveried operators. Food and drink have better reputation than the Space Needle (which has always been noted for very expensive but mediocre food), and moderately priced. Without going overboard on it all they offer an elegant 1920s experience. Tower built in 1914.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:00 am

rlwynn wrote:

The admission price for the Empire State Building was $7 in the first half of year 2000.

agill

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:40 pm

Better value to have a drink in Bar 65 at Rockefeller center and get a better view.

DL717

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:59 pm

fr8mech wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

I'm not sure I would recommend the restaurant. The food was undistinguished, at best.

Eiffel Tower is I think $30 these days. Never eat there. The $5 ham sandwich at the base of it is better than the restaurant.

With the renovations done to the Empire State Building in recent years, it’s not a shock. I went something like 25 years ago now when it was just a few bucks and the place wasn’t in the best shape. We spend $200 a person to go to a football game for 3 hours these days and people complain about $100 for 16 hours at Disney World. Landmarks cost money. If we don’t charge, they fall into disrepair. Never-mind, that the rate is what the market will bear. They could probably make it $50 and still have lines out the door.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Revelation

Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:46 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:

And a Reuben sandwich is $24 at Katz's, before tip and NYC taxes ( ref: https://katzsdelicatessen.com/menu_and_local-delivery ).

It's what the market will bear.

If you've already paid for the flight from China and the NYC taxi and hotel tab, $38 is nothing.

ER757 wrote:

Most of the time all they get to see is the rain clouds.

I'd rather go to the Museum of Flight or the Living Computer Museum myself.

I have a tradition of going to see each new Boeing model as it goes through flight test at KBFI.

Have done so for 777, 787, 747-8, etc but not MAX because meh.

Guess I'll have to wait till NMA or beyond, sigh.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

DIRECTFLT

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:25 am

fr8mech wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Space Needle was blah. I enjoyed the Towers of America at the San Antonio Hemisfair in 1968 much more. Great restaurant.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:52 am

DL717 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Eiffel Tower is I think $30 these days. Never eat there. The $5 ham sandwich at the base of it is better than the restaurant.

With the renovations done to the Empire State Building in recent years, it’s not a shock. I went something like 25 years ago now when it was just a few bucks and the place wasn’t in the best shape. We spend $200 a person to go to a football game for 3 hours these days and people complain about $100 for 16 hours at Disney World. Landmarks cost money. If we don’t charge, they fall into disrepair. Never-mind, that the rate is what the market will bear. They could probably make it $50 and still have lines out the door.

What things have changed at the Empire State Building in the past 25 years.

DL717

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:49 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

What things have changed at the Empire State Building in the past 25 years.

General upkeep. It was looking pretty rough back then. Rust, paint was pealing, the usual you would expect when things aren’t kept up.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Bongodog49

Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:50 pm

I went up the Empire State building in 2007, and again in 2018. What did I notice different ? 1, less queuing as the whole experience was far more organised, 2, the mid way point was an empty shell in 2007, now it is fully restored and has a display on the history of the building 3, Everything you see has been tidied up.

It was however just as crowded out on the observation deck, any more visitors and it would have been uncomfortable.
I truly didn't notice the entry fee, the reason I didn't was that it was around what I expected, on par with the Shard in London that i had visited earlier in the year.

The Shard is a better tourist experience, it is however 70 years newer and its observation deck and the lifts to it were designed in the full knowledge that millions would visit each year.

Why would the Empire State building reduce ticket prices when they can attract all the visitors they can handle at present cost.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:31 am

Bongodog49 wrote:
I went up the Empire State building in 2007, and again in 2018. What did I notice different ? 1, less queuing as the whole experience was far more organised, 2, the mid way point was an empty shell in 2007, now it is fully restored and has a display on the history of the building 3, Everything you see has been tidied up.

It was however just as crowded out on the observation deck, any more visitors and it would have been uncomfortable.
I truly didn't notice the entry fee, the reason I didn't was that it was around what I expected, on par with the Shard in London that i had visited earlier in the year.

The Shard is a better tourist experience, it is however 70 years newer and its observation deck and the lifts to it were designed in the full knowledge that millions would visit each year.

Why would the Empire State building reduce ticket prices when they can attract all the visitors they can handle at present cost.

The Empire State Building could have it's ticket prices reduced during the off season when there are fewer visitors like between after the end of the Christmas/New Year holiday season and Spring Break in April for example. Also, the $4 admission fee to go up the Empire State Building back in 1996 would be $6.54 in today's money. That was a cheap price.

fr8mech

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:50 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The Empire State Building could have it's ticket prices reduced during the off season when there are fewer visitors like between after the end of the Christmas/New Year holiday season and Spring Break in April for example.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think the Empire State Building has an off season?

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:24 am

fr8mech wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
The Empire State Building could have it's ticket prices reduced during the off season when there are fewer visitors like between after the end of the Christmas/New Year holiday season and Spring Break in April for example.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think the Empire State Building has an off season?

Tourist numbers go down in New York City after the New Year's holiday.

zakuivcustom

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:26 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Tourist numbers go down in New York City after the New Year's holiday.

Yes, there are less tourists in NYC in the winter, but, well, "less" is still a lot of tourists (I went to NYC in the middle of February before, not fun at all but places like Times Square and ESB are just as crowded as ever; hotels are definitely cheaper, though, with tons of sub-USD150 options in Midtown).
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

frmrCapCadet

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:48 pm

February and its cheap hotel rates are great for spending a week visiting the great museums, although I spent much of one day walking through Central Park in the snow - also fun. Make a chart of what museums are open, and on what days. MOMA was open on Mondays, although that too entailed a trek through snow.

Boeing74741R

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:38 pm

For those comparing Empire State Building ticket prices with Top of the Rock, it's worth bearing in mind that tickets for the Empire State Building are valid for one year from date of purchase and can be used anytime (unless you've gone for the $38 tariff instead of the $42 tariff, in which case you're restricted to the days $38 tickets are available for), whereas Top of the Rock's cheapest tickets are slot restricted to a set time/date, and options such as sunset slots or unrestricted are more expensive. It could therefore be argued that the ESB represents better value for money if you've not got a fixed plan or would rather go up at a time when the weather/visibility is good - it must be gutting if it's raining or there's very low clouds during your time slot and you can't go up another time on your trip. Both attractions are better value for money if you enter on the New York CityPass/C3 pass, but it's only worth going down that route if you're going to other places such as the Guggenheim Museum.

Personally, having been to both I prefer the ESB during the day and Top of the Rock at night. I've also been to the One World Observatory and enjoy that just as much as the other two, but again that's time-limited for the cheapest ticket and doesn't participate in the CityPass/C3 schemes, though the pricing starts at $35.

I'm with the others in saying that the ESB are no doubt charging what the market will bear and also go one step further by saying they're merely pricing themselves in line with the competition along with inflation. Whether that's the right thing to do or not is your prerogative.

As an aside, I've just found the e-mail with tickets from the first time I went up the ESB in October 2014. At the time we paid $26 per person plus "convenience fee" and tax.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:12 pm

When the ESB opened in 1931, it was $1 to go up, which would be $16-$17 in today's money adjusted for inflation.

fr8mech

Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:03 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
When the ESB opened in 1931, it was $1 to go up, which would be $16-$17 in today's money adjusted for inflation.

Yes, but there's a whole lot more disposable income in the economy today than there was in 1931. The supply of money most certainly plays into the pricing model, not just inflation.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:13 am

The price to visit the 102nd floor observation deck of the Empire State Building right before it closed for renovations in January 2019 was about $57. Back in 1996, the $4 admission fee covered both observation decks and there was no extra fee to visit the 102nd floor.

Pellegrine

Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:44 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The price to visit the 102nd floor observation deck of the Empire State Building right before it closed for renovations in January 2019 was about $57. Back in 1996, the $4 admission fee covered both observation decks and there was no extra fee to visit the 102nd floor.

I always wanted to go to the 102nd floor. It's closed for good now right?
oh boy, here we go!!!

ChrisKen

Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:36 am

Pellegrine wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

No idea but you're not missing much. More waiting for a cramped old lift which leads to what is essentially a small enclosed box made of thick glass (a bugger to photograph through). The view is basically the same as the 86th floor.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:46 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

It will reopen once renovations are complete a nd going there gives you a better view of Central Park.