• 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
 
extender
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:30 pm

No, I am not conceding a thing. I am not the one being irresponsible with my property. The left's solution is always take away this, take away that. We can argue about it all day long, but more laws will not do a damn thing. Feel safer in gun free zones? I wouldn't, and I avoid them as much as possible. Is murder illegal? It sure is. Does it stop people from doing it? No. Is driving under the influence illegal? Sure is, but 37,000 died as a result of DWI in 2017. Is entering the country illegal? Yes, and they do it every day. So when you all are good with banning illegals, you will grasp the concept.
 
2122M
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:33 pm

extender wrote:
No, I am not conceding a thing. I am not the one being irresponsible with my property. The left's solution is always take away this, take away that. We can argue about it all day long, but more laws will not do a damn thing. Feel safer in gun free zones? I wouldn't, and I avoid them as much as possible. Is murder illegal? It sure is. Does it stop people from doing it? No. Is driving under the influence illegal? Sure is, but 37,000 died as a result of DWI in 2017. Is entering the country illegal? Yes, and they do it every day. So when you all are good with banning illegals, you will grasp the concept.


So, I'll ask you for the umpteenth time:

What are your solutions?
 
extender
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:38 pm

Scroll up.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 17572
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:40 pm

extender wrote:
Feel safer in gun free zones? I wouldn't, and I avoid them as much as possible.

You're statistically exponentially safer in a gun free zone. But you have your "feelings".
E pur si muove -Galileo
 
extender
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:41 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
extender wrote:
Feel safer in gun free zones? I wouldn't, and I avoid them as much as possible.

You're statistically exponentially safer in a gun free zone. But you have your "feelings".


Right... Herd mentality math.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 17572
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:42 pm

extender wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
extender wrote:
Feel safer in gun free zones? I wouldn't, and I avoid them as much as possible.

You're statistically exponentially safer in a gun free zone. But you have your "feelings".


Right... Herd mentality math.

I know...math has a librul bias. It's hard to use a calculator with a gun in your hands. Plus it's probably spying on you like your microwave. :rotfl:
Last edited by MaverickM11 on Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E pur si muove -Galileo
 
2122M
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:43 pm

extender wrote:
Scroll up.


So you're going to stick with violating the 4th amendment in its entirety? Got it.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 9689
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:47 pm

Intellectual dishonesty or unabated cognitive dissonance? You be the judge.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 17572
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:56 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Intellectual dishonesty or unabated cognitive dissonance? You be the judge.

Why not both? With a healthy splash of 'the real problem is [insert unrelated red herring here]'
E pur si muove -Galileo
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20675
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:46 pm

When the Constitution was written, there were no AR-15s or Tommy guns or the weapons we have now. Likewise, there were no internal combustion engines. The "all guns all the time" crowd keeps saying it is a false equivalence and not worth debating. How? Why should assault weapons be covered when they were not even invented yet?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
N1611B
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:00 am

seb146 wrote:
When the Constitution was written, there were no AR-15s or Tommy guns or the weapons we have now. Likewise, there were no internal combustion engines. The "all guns all the time" crowd keeps saying it is a false equivalence and not worth debating. How? Why should assault weapons be covered when they were not even invented yet?


So your argument is that the First Amendment only applies to things that are written with a quill and ink?
 
2122M
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:47 am

N1611B wrote:
seb146 wrote:
When the Constitution was written, there were no AR-15s or Tommy guns or the weapons we have now. Likewise, there were no internal combustion engines. The "all guns all the time" crowd keeps saying it is a false equivalence and not worth debating. How? Why should assault weapons be covered when they were not even invented yet?


So your argument is that the First Amendment only applies to things that are written with a quill and ink?


The first amendment has evolved over time as limits have been placed on it regarding things like hate speech, threats, perjury, blackmail etc....

Basically the courts saw the damage the unabated free speech can cause and set common sense limits. Same can be done the the second.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20675
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:10 am

N1611B wrote:
seb146 wrote:
When the Constitution was written, there were no AR-15s or Tommy guns or the weapons we have now. Likewise, there were no internal combustion engines. The "all guns all the time" crowd keeps saying it is a false equivalence and not worth debating. How? Why should assault weapons be covered when they were not even invented yet?


So your argument is that the First Amendment only applies to things that are written with a quill and ink?


Another false equivalence and dodging the point.

With the Second Amendment, slave owners wanted militias to patrol for runaway slaves. Also, the early United States did not have a standing army to defend against Spain and England and, to a lesser extent, France, as well as the indigenous peoples. That is why the words "A well regulated militia" begins the Second Amendment. It is not just all guns, all the time for any reason at all.

This is why I always have to ask what well regulated militia these mass murderers belong to?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
Super80Fan
Posts: 1622
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:57 am

2122M wrote:
N1611B wrote:
seb146 wrote:
When the Constitution was written, there were no AR-15s or Tommy guns or the weapons we have now. Likewise, there were no internal combustion engines. The "all guns all the time" crowd keeps saying it is a false equivalence and not worth debating. How? Why should assault weapons be covered when they were not even invented yet?


So your argument is that the First Amendment only applies to things that are written with a quill and ink?


The first amendment has evolved over time as limits have been placed on it regarding things like hate speech, threats, perjury, blackmail etc....

Basically the courts saw the damage the unabated free speech can cause and set common sense limits. Same can be done the the second.


No such thing as “hate speech”.

Try again.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways
 
extender
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:20 am

2122M wrote:

The first amendment has evolved over time as limits have been placed on it regarding things like hate speech, threats, perjury, blackmail etc....


WRONG! Hate speech is protected.
 
2122M
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:21 am

extender wrote:
2122M wrote:

The first amendment has evolved over time as limits have been placed on it regarding things like hate speech, threats, perjury, blackmail etc....


WRONG! Hate speech is protected.


You’re absolutely right, that’s my mistake. However, the other examples are correct and the point still stands. They 1st has evolved over time to address new challenges, there is no reason the 2nd can’t as well.

I’m fact, that has already happened. There is a machine gun ban in place and has been for a long time. If that restriction can exist, why not an AR-15 ban too?
 
2122M
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:28 am

Super80Fan wrote:
2122M wrote:
N1611B wrote:

So your argument is that the First Amendment only applies to things that are written with a quill and ink?


The first amendment has evolved over time as limits have been placed on it regarding things like hate speech, threats, perjury, blackmail etc....

Basically the courts saw the damage the unabated free speech can cause and set common sense limits. Same can be done the the second.


No such thing as “hate speech”.

Try again.


Don’t need to to try again. Had other examples already. See above.
 
N1611B
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:29 am

seb146 wrote:
N1611B wrote:
seb146 wrote:
When the Constitution was written, there were no AR-15s or Tommy guns or the weapons we have now. Likewise, there were no internal combustion engines. The "all guns all the time" crowd keeps saying it is a false equivalence and not worth debating. How? Why should assault weapons be covered when they were not even invented yet?


So your argument is that the First Amendment only applies to things that are written with a quill and ink?


Another false equivalence and dodging the point.

With the Second Amendment, slave owners wanted militias to patrol for runaway slaves. Also, the early United States did not have a standing army to defend against Spain and England and, to a lesser extent, France, as well as the indigenous peoples. That is why the words "A well regulated militia" begins the Second Amendment. It is not just all guns, all the time for any reason at all.

This is why I always have to ask what well regulated militia these mass murderers belong to?


The SCOTUS has already determined that American citizens are free to own guns and do not need to belong to a militia in order to do so.
 
N1611B
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:32 am

2122M wrote:
extender wrote:
2122M wrote:

The first amendment has evolved over time as limits have been placed on it regarding things like hate speech, threats, perjury, blackmail etc....


WRONG! Hate speech is protected.


You’re absolutely right, that’s my mistake. However, the other examples are correct and the point still stands. They 1st has evolved over time to address new challenges, there is no reason the 2nd can’t as well.

I’m fact, that has already happened. There is a machine gun ban in place and has been for a long time. If that restriction can exist, why not an AR-15 ban too?


The AR-15 is simply a rifle that looks scary. There's no way to effectively ban it without banning every other semi-automatic rifle. Also, you can own a machine gun if you so choose. They are just insanely expensive.
 
extender
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:35 am

2122M wrote:
You’re absolutely right, that’s my mistake. However, the other examples are correct and the point still stands. They 1st has evolved over time to address new challenges, there is no reason the 2nd can’t as well.


We can do the 4th and the fifth too.

2122M wrote:
I’m fact, that has already happened. There is a machine gun ban in place and has been for a long time. If that restriction can exist, why not an AR-15 ban too?


What ban do you speak of? And no, just because your feelings are twisted, doesn't mean the Constitution has to get amended. You are not going to get all the required states to go along with amending the second. Tough luck, it ain't gonna happen.
 
2122M
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:40 am

N1611B wrote:
2122M wrote:
extender wrote:

WRONG! Hate speech is protected.


You’re absolutely right, that’s my mistake. However, the other examples are correct and the point still stands. They 1st has evolved over time to address new challenges, there is no reason the 2nd can’t as well.

I’m fact, that has already happened. There is a machine gun ban in place and has been for a long time. If that restriction can exist, why not an AR-15 ban too?


The AR-15 is simply a rifle that looks scary. There's no way to effectively ban it without banning every other semi-automatic rifle. Also, you can own a machine gun if you so choose. They are just insanely expensive.


The National Firearms Act and the National Firearm Owners Protection Act so in fact ban the import or domestic manufacturer or any new fully automatic weapons.

Those two acts, plus the Gun Control Act, make it 100% clear that restrictions on certain types of weapons are legal and constitutional.
 
extender
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:48 am

So how do acquaintances of mine have them, legally? Those are much more dangerous than your dreaded AR-15? How come they aren't used in crimes. And yes, you can still manufacture and posses a machine gun that was made yesterday. You have all that emotion, but not all the facts.
 
2122M
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:57 am

extender wrote:
So how do acquaintances of mine have them, legally? Those are much more dangerous than your dreaded AR-15? How come they aren't used in crimes. And yes, you can still manufacture and posses a machine gun that was made yesterday. You have all that emotion, but not all the facts.


I listed 3 bills that have been signed into law over the last 50 years or so.

You came back with anecdotes, hearsay and untruths.

I’m not debating this point unless you can do better than that.

The fact is; there are already laws that set limits on the 2nd amendment, so don’t pretend it’s impossible to refine those limits.
 
extender
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:05 pm

And I just blew holes in your facts, and don't bother debating. You can try, but the amendment process will never pass.
 
2122M
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:07 pm

extender wrote:
And I just blew holes in your facts, and don't bother debating. You can try, but the amendment process will never pass.


Don’t need amendments. Just laws defining the existing ones. Like the one I listed above.

I don’t understand what you are arguing here. There is clear precedent for restrictions on types of guns and ammo. That’s not a debatable point, it’s a fact.
 
extender
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:40 pm

Not going to happen.
 
2122M
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:45 pm

extender wrote:
Not going to happen.


There's that master debater we've all come to know and love.
 
extender
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:01 pm

If you say so, but making stuff up doesn't prove your point. The point is if someone wants to commit mayhem, they will. With a gun, a car, fertilizer, knives... As mentioned above, this shooter was prohibited from buying guns, when he tried to, he was denied. How did he get the gun? Don't know, maybe he stole it, maybe he bought it in a private sale; who knows. But you aren't going to cap society for a few bad apples.
 
petertenthije
Posts: 3732
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:00 pm

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:11 pm

extender wrote:
But you aren't going to cap society for a few bad apples.
Society is already being capped due to a few bad apples. It happens all the time.

A few guys don’t know how to drive responsibly, so there are speed limits.

A few guys don’t know how much they can take, so (most) narcotics are banned/restricted.

A few employers put their workers in dangerous situation, so there are health & safety laws.

And so on, and so on....
Attamottamotta!
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 9689
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:15 pm

petertenthije wrote:
extender wrote:
But you aren't going to cap society for a few bad apples.
Society is already being capped due to a few bad apples. It happens all the time.

A few guys don’t know how to drive responsibly, so there are speed limits.

A few guys don’t know how much they can take, so (most) narcotics are banned/restricted.

A few employers put their workers in dangerous situation, so there are health & safety laws.

And so on, and so on....


Tsk tsk, there’s no point employing logic or reason with this one. These aren’t the droids we’re looking for...after all he argues for personal responsibility but doesn’t see society or public mores having any component to that. Oh wellz!
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
2122M
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:18 pm

extender wrote:
But you aren't going to cap society for a few bad apples.


Well that's it in a nutshell. You think the gun violence problem in the US is just 'a few bad apples' and it's not worth addressing the problem.

The rest of us look at the gun violence problem as an actual problem are look for ways to try and solve it.

But hey, by all means, go tell the families of the victims of Sandy Hook, Parkland, Aurora, El Paso, Dayton, Columbine, Charleston, Thousand Oaks, Tree of Life Synagogue, Texas First Baptist Church, Las Vegas, Pulse Nightclub, San Bernardino, Virginia Tech and others that there is no real problem and its just a few bad apples.

Go tell them that the loss of their loved ones is less important than your right to not have to register a weapon with the state.

In the meantime, I'll sit back and watch Trump and his sharpie destroy the GOP so democrats can sweep 2020 and start enacting laws that might save a life or two.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 9689
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:25 pm

People are not buying that it’s a minor problem - suburban voters are already changing the dynamics on the ground:

Tetschner’s worries are weighing heavy on Republicans in Arizona and elsewhere in the wake of recent mass shootings. The party has seen once-reliable suburbs turn competitive as women worry about their children’s safety and bristle at Trump’s harsh rhetoric on race and immigration, and they embraced Democratic alternatives in last year’s midterm elections.

GOP candidates looking ahead at tough races increasingly are eyeing new ways to address anxieties about gun violence, and to do that without crossing the party’s base, which sees gun restrictions as an infringement on the constitutional right to bear arms.

“Republicans’ backs are already against the wall among suburban voters, particularly college-educated women,” said Whit Ayres, a Republican consultant. “And the inability of our political system to pass what most Americans see as commonsense reforms related to gun violence only makes the matter worse.”


https://www.apnews.com/61f4ee998a0748e79bbb7318541d9eb5
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
alfa164
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:02 pm

N1611B wrote:
The SCOTUS has already determined that American citizens are free to own guns and do not need to belong to a militia in order to do so.


But the SCOTUS has not determined that American citizens are free to own any type of guns they want; thus the ban on machine guns, Gatling guns, howitzers... weapons of war are not needed by sportsmen. The Court recognized this when it refused to strike down the previous ban on assault weapons, which was in effect (and successful, you might note) between 1994 and 2004.

Were it not for the political power (and, I would suggest, dishonest arguments) of the NRA and its lemmings, that ban would still be in effect.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30188421


2122M wrote:
The National Firearms Act and the National Firearm Owners Protection Act so in fact ban the import or domestic manufacturer or any new fully automatic weapons. Those two acts, plus the Gun Control Act, make it 100% clear that restrictions on certain types of weapons are legal and constitutional.


:checkmark: The ammosexuals here seem to conveniently ignore the facts.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
alfa164
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:08 pm

extender wrote:
So how do acquaintances of mine have them, legally? Those are much more dangerous than your dreaded AR-15? How come they aren't used in crimes. And yes, you can still manufacture and posses a machine gun that was made yesterday. You have all that emotion, but not all the facts.


So... you admit you spend your time hanging out with criminals. "Birds of a feather..." is suppose...

:roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
extender
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:03 pm

alfa164 wrote:
So... you admit you spend your time hanging out with criminals. "Birds of a feather..." is suppose...

:roll:

How are they criminals? Do tell.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20675
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:41 pm

N1611B wrote:
seb146 wrote:
N1611B wrote:

So your argument is that the First Amendment only applies to things that are written with a quill and ink?


Another false equivalence and dodging the point.

With the Second Amendment, slave owners wanted militias to patrol for runaway slaves. Also, the early United States did not have a standing army to defend against Spain and England and, to a lesser extent, France, as well as the indigenous peoples. That is why the words "A well regulated militia" begins the Second Amendment. It is not just all guns, all the time for any reason at all.

This is why I always have to ask what well regulated militia these mass murderers belong to?


The SCOTUS has already determined that American citizens are free to own guns and do not need to belong to a militia in order to do so.


The right wing activist judges legislated from the bench by ignoring the first four words of the Second Amendment. I get it. They could have included the first four words of the Second Amendment and we could see a slow down of mass murders, but right wing activist judges legislating from the bench want no part of it.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2002
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:43 pm

texdravid wrote:
No one on these boards is more conservative as me, and I have been here 15 years. However, let's be real.
America is too violent, immature, and too broken of a society to have this kind of free access to guns. True, people will start using knives, hammers and other objects as weapons, but nothing kills as thoroughly, quickly, and in huge numbers as guns.


Or we could go America is too violent, immature, and too broken of a society to have access to violent video games, violent movies, violent cable/TV shows, violent music, violent music videos, and porn, and violent porn, and sexual themed cable/TV shows, and sexually themed music videos. So yeah, let's go down that road to wherever it may lead. :checkmark:
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
alfa164
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:52 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Or we could go America is too violent, immature, and too broken of a society to have access to violent video games, violent movies, violent cable/TV shows, violent music, violent music videos, and porn, and violent porn, and sexual themed cable/TV shows, and sexually themed music videos. So yeah, let's go down that road to wherever it may lead. :checkmark:


All of which, despite the claims of the ammosexuals, have nothing to do with the increase in gun violence. "Though President Donald Trump has blamed these mass shootings on mental illness and video games, the science on gun violence does not back up those claims."

https://www.businessinsider.com/things- ... nce-2019-8

The failure to reinstate the assault weapons ban, however, is clearly linked to the increase in mass shootings. "Mass-shooting fatalities were 70% less likely to occur during the federal ban period (relative rate, 0.30; 95% confidence interval, 0.22-0.39)."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30188421

The object of the game is to ignore the fake claims of the NRA and its ilk, and then to concentrate on the facts.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
extender
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:17 pm

The object of the game is to back up your claims. How do I associate with criminals?
 
2122M
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:25 pm

extender wrote:
The object of the game is to back up your claims. How do I associate with criminals?


No one really cares to be honest. Its an anonymous online forum. You can lie all day along about what exemptions or waivers your 'friends' have and there is no way to fact check that. So instead, lets stick to what we can verify, like the fact that restrictions on the second amendment exist already. A line has been drawn separating legal firearms from illegal firearms. Now we're only debating where to shift that line, so don't act as though any restriction on guns is unconstitutional, because that is clearly not the case, regardless of the kinds of guns your 'friends' have.
 
alfa164
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:32 pm

extender wrote:
The object of the game is to back up your claims. How do I associate with criminals?


If anyone believed any of your claims, they might deserve a response. Your posts never contain verifiable facts or sources; they are just drivel with no bearing on the issues here.

Just like the orange boy-man, you appear only to indulge your own ego.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20675
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:32 pm

extender wrote:
The object of the game is to back up your claims. How do I associate with criminals?


Have you done background checks on your "friends"? In some states, it does not matter. Whether it is your "friend" or someone your friend is making a straw purchase for. This is one loophole that needs to be fixed. Republicans and NRA are unwilling to fix that loophole. Would you be willing to close that loophole? No more private sales AND background checks on literally any private owner?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
extender
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:37 pm

So it seems, you cowards just lob accusations around, because at the end of the day, you have nothing to fear. Got it. I'll keep smiling, because nothing is going to change.
 
2122M
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:43 pm

extender wrote:
So it seems, you cowards just lob accusations around, because at the end of the day, you have nothing to fear. Got it. I'll keep smiling, because nothing is going to change.


Trump approval rating hovering around 40%, GOP, house retirements every day, 75%+ support for universal background checks.

Smile away kiddo.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 9395
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:56 pm

extender wrote:
So it seems, you cowards just lob accusations around, because at the end of the day, you have nothing to fear. Got it. I'll keep smiling, because nothing is going to change.

As I said: Do nothing. And please keep doing exactly that. Things will change and there is nothing you can do about that.

But talk is cheap, so we will work hard to enact the change the nation wants and is moving toward. Gun ownership will still be the rule of the land, and I would not want that to change, just sensible changes that most gun owners would want. (But again, no need for you to worry or do anything.)

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin
 
alfa164
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:05 pm

Tugger wrote:
As I said: Do nothing. And please keep doing exactly that. Things will change and there is nothing you can do about that. But talk is cheap, so we will work hard to enact the change the nation wants and is moving toward. Gun ownership will still be the rule of the land, and I would not want that to change, just sensible changes that most gun owners would want. (But again, no need for you to worry or do anything.)


:checkmark: That is the difference between the two sides: those who see a problem and believe there need to be changes, and those who know there is a problem but are satisfied with the status quo; they just "keep smiling, because nothing is going to change."

Whether it is a lack of concern, a lack of understanding, or simply a stubborn refusal to give up on an outdated dogma... it is hard to tell. Fortunately, more rational individuals have the imagination to see the possibilities and fight for change.

And imagination rules the world.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20675
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:06 pm

extender wrote:
So it seems, you cowards just lob accusations around, because at the end of the day, you have nothing to fear. Got it. I'll keep smiling, because nothing is going to change.


Children at Sandy Hook and Stoneman had nothing to fear either, did they? The people of El Paso and Odessa and Las Vegas and Dayton and Aurora and Orlando had nothing to fear, either.

BTW, name calling is the last resort when a person has nothing left. It speaks volumes when someone busts out the name calling but has not presented any actual facts..
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 9689
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:40 pm

2122M wrote:
extender wrote:
So it seems, you cowards just lob accusations around, because at the end of the day, you have nothing to fear. Got it. I'll keep smiling, because nothing is going to change.


Trump approval rating hovering around 40%, GOP, house retirements every day, 75%+ support for universal background checks.

Smile away kiddo.


Also in recent polling, 71% of suburban voters and 64% of GOP women back restrictions on high performance weapons.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/gun-con ... ate-2019-8
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
N1611B
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:34 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
2122M wrote:
extender wrote:
So it seems, you cowards just lob accusations around, because at the end of the day, you have nothing to fear. Got it. I'll keep smiling, because nothing is going to change.


Trump approval rating hovering around 40%, GOP, house retirements every day, 75%+ support for universal background checks.

Smile away kiddo.


Also in recent polling, 71% of suburban voters and 64% of GOP women back restrictions on high performance weapons.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/gun-con ... ate-2019-8


Support for specific gun control legislation usually peaks in the aftermath of high-profile mass shootings and then drops. Most Americans don't even know what an "assault" weapon is. It sounds scary so of course they'd want to ban it.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20675
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: At least 5 dead in West Texas shooting after traffic stop

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:48 pm

N1611B wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
2122M wrote:

Trump approval rating hovering around 40%, GOP, house retirements every day, 75%+ support for universal background checks.

Smile away kiddo.


Also in recent polling, 71% of suburban voters and 64% of GOP women back restrictions on high performance weapons.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/gun-con ... ate-2019-8


Support for specific gun control legislation usually peaks in the aftermath of high-profile mass shootings and then drops. Most Americans don't even know what an "assault" weapon is. It sounds scary so of course they'd want to ban it.


Gun nuts who want no restrictions at all can't even decide what assault weapons are. After every domestic terror attack, we discuss the same thing. And the same thing happens. No one, not even gun nuts, can agree what assault weapons are. I have used the exact definition of assault weapons gun nuts keep throwing out there only to be told I don't know what I am talking about. Using their own definition.

And the fact still remains we had fewer domestic terror attacks under the assault weapons ban than after. Maybe if we had stronger laws and ignored NRA, we would not have so many suburban voters and women demanding change after all these domestic terror attacks.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ArchGuy1, Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot] and 61 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos