einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Contact Lenses wearers

Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:08 am

I've been back and forth between glasses and contacts. I prefer the glasses merely because you can take them off and that's the end of it, but with the Sun now lower in the horizon during rush hour, it becomes tedious to drive with sunlight hitting you and not being able to wear shades.

I had my eye exam earlier today and I'm being offered the chance to buy daily contact lenses instead of the traditional monthly ones.

For those of you who wear contacts, which one is best?

And BTW, for what it's worth, I considered getting Lasik done earlier this summer, but after a second screening, I was determined to not be a candidate yet.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Spar

Re: Contact Lenses wearers

Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:55 am

As long as your eyes produce enough tears to keep the cornea moist, my experience has been that extended wear contacts can't be beat, nothing else comes close. I may be unusual, but when I was a bit younger (up until I was 65 or so) I used to be able to put them in and forget about them for about three weeks: I mean forget they were in for weeks at a time, night and day! It used to take a day or two before a new pair of contacts settled in and molded themselves to the cornea, so I had to be careful with them and sometimes I would lose one that I had just recently put in.

Back when I first got the prescription, the doctor at the time said I could do that "but maybe I should take them out a little more often", but I didn't; I kept them in until I began to notice them and then I usually would take them out, rinse them and put them back in for another week or until they became noticeable (irritating) again, then throw them away and put two new ones in without a single day without contacts going by. I have gone decades without owning a pair of glasses.

Every doctor I've met since then has been in varying degrees of opposition to my schedule; some have been downright aghast and hardly let me finish telling them about it.. But I continued wearing them that way until I became so old and dried up that extended wear contacts only lasted me a few days before I had to take them out. Now at age 76 I have no choice except to use daily wear unless I want to spend money like water on extended wear contacts that I don't get much benefit from.

IMO
Extended wear contacts are by far the best, they are the thinnest and highest quality; monthly wear contacts preform about like extended wear contacts that have been worn for a couple of weeks and daily wear contacts preform about like extended wear contacts on their last days of usefulness.

I hate glasses.

Tugger

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:15 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
I've been back and forth between glasses and contacts. I prefer the glasses merely because you can take them off and that's the end of it, but with the Sun now lower in the horizon during rush hour, it becomes tedious to drive with sunlight hitting you and not being able to wear shades.

Curious why no apparent consideration of prescription sunglasses?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

seb146

Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:46 am

I was told long ago to stay away from extended wear lenses because bacteria builds up and particles get trapped making it more likely to have eye problems. I have used dailies since high school. I do not wear them all the time but they feel fine. I need to get another eye exam and I will ask for daily disposable contacts again.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:01 am

Tugger wrote:
Curious why no apparent consideration of prescription sunglasses?

Because I don't want to be keeping two separate items (sunglasses AND regular glasses).

I though I could skirt around this by using transition lenses. Outdoors they work great, but I was not warned BEFORE I got them that they don't work inside cars because the window tints already reduce the UV needed to activate them. Hasn't been a huge deal either way just because the commutes have been well before or after sunrise, and well before sunset (in other words, no glare), but there ARE times when I still would like to shield my eyes overall.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:01 am

seb146 wrote:
I need to get another eye exam and I will ask for daily disposable contacts again.

Do you get them through your doctor or through online retailer? That's the other thing I meant to ask folks.

seb146

Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:30 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
seb146 wrote:
I need to get another eye exam and I will ask for daily disposable contacts again.

Do you get them through your doctor or through online retailer? That's the other thing I meant to ask folks.

I got them online. It is an easy process. I just uploaded a copy of the prescription and emailed it to them. The first order took about a week but after that it took about two days.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

ChrisKen

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:49 am

einsteinboricua wrote:

I ditched the contacts in the end, too much faffing about. Much easier just to whack a pair of frames on.
I use frames with regular lenses, prescription polarised sunglasses and reaction lenses. I usually have two pairs of each type knocking about.

Tend to wear the reaction lenses for typical daily use, particularly when it's one where I'm moving in and out of doors
Wear the regular clear lenses on an evening/a dour winter day.
Polarised for clear sunny days when I'm outdoors. Keep the spare pair in the car, for easy switch when driving if needed.Although the reaction lenses usually perform sufficiently enough for all but the brightest drives into the sun.

Having a pair of in prescription sunglasses sat in the car is no different to having a set of regular sunglasses sat there for use with contacts. Ultimately it's whichever you find easier, glasses or contacts, only you can answer that one.

BlueberryWheats

Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:36 pm

I wear contacts or glasses depending on what I prefer that day or of I need to wear shades (I'd break or lose expensive prescription shades).

I use disposable dailies, I find them to be much less faff than messing around with containers, solution etc. Although I do sometimes get some monthly coloured lenses.

My dailies or a little TOO comfortable, and I forget I have them in until I get in bed. I use...

And I use these in Brilliant Blue...

DL717

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:06 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

I had my eye exam earlier today and I'm being offered the chance to buy daily contact lenses instead of the traditional monthly ones.

And BTW, for what it's worth, I considered getting Lasik done earlier this summer, but after a second screening, I was determined to not be a candidate yet.

I could never wear contacts, so I always had three sets of glasses. One pair bifocal for work, one pair single, and one pair single transitions. Buy really good frames, then rotate the lenses every year. Your prescription shouldn’t change all that much. Get new frames every other cycle. I waited until I stopped working and got LASIK. Now I just need a pair or reading glasses from time to time when I’m tired.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

TSS

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:14 am

Spar wrote:
As long as your eyes produce enough tears to keep the cornea moist, my experience has been that extended wear contacts can't be beat, nothing else comes close. I may be unusual, but when I was a bit younger (up until I was 65 or so) I used to be able to put them in and forget about them for about three weeks: I mean forget they were in for weeks at a time, night and day! It used to take a day or two before a new pair of contacts settled in and molded themselves to the cornea, so I had to be careful with them and sometimes I would lose one that I had just recently put in.

Back when I first got the prescription, the doctor at the time said I could do that "but maybe I should take them out a little more often", but I didn't; I kept them in until I began to notice them and then I usually would take them out, rinse them and put them back in for another week or until they became noticeable (irritating) again, then throw them away and put two new ones in without a single day without contacts going by. I have gone decades without owning a pair of glasses.

Every doctor I've met since then has been in varying degrees of opposition to my schedule; some have been downright aghast and hardly let me finish telling them about it.. But I continued wearing them that way until I became so old and dried up that extended wear contacts only lasted me a few days before I had to take them out. Now at age 76 I have no choice except to use daily wear unless I want to spend money like water on extended wear contacts that I don't get much benefit from.

IMO
Extended wear contacts are by far the best, they are the thinnest and highest quality; monthly wear contacts preform about like extended wear contacts that have been worn for a couple of weeks and daily wear contacts preform about like extended wear contacts on their last days of usefulness.

I hate glasses.

Spar's experience is exactly the same as mine, except I had to stop wearing contacts when I started working in the dusty environment of a tire shop and had to wear protective safety glasses all day anyway. I had far more problems and got infections only when I wore daily wear contacts, possibly because of having to take them out and put them back in every day even though I did wash my hands every single time. I also had a heckuva time finding a contact solution to leave my contacts in overnight that didn't irritate my eyes. Once I went to extended wear, never a problem again and I'd leave them in for three weeks to a month because, as Spar said, they'll let you know when it's time to change them by simply making you aware that they're there.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Spar

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:16 am

TSS wrote:
Spar's experience is exactly the same as mine...............

My belief is that it is the lens manufacturer's lawyers who have decided that we should be buying daily or monthly lenses and taking them out every night. I believe it has nothing to do with microbes. Sometime in the late 80s or early 90s some corporate lawyer had a vision of someone filing a lawsuit against a contact lens manufacturer and ranting about how criminal they were because they were selling these horrible things that make people go blind (see the Mc Donald's hot coffee lawsuit) and went to his boss, maybe the Chairman of the Board and told him that they better tighten up the ship if they didn't want to lose big. So the big boss went to marketing and asked them what they thought and they said "sounds great" we can sell more daily's and monthly's anyway.

So these guys sent their reps around to the optometrists and told them that from here on they were to be zealots about warning patients about eye infections (which had nothing to do with the reason to downplay the usefulness of extended wear) and of course the optometrists are not a bunch to make waves so they bought the new program hook line and sinker.

My original reason for keeping them in for as long as I could was the same as what TSS's experience showed; the real problem comes from getting foreign material in your eye and one great way to do that is to be taking your lenses out and putting them back in again for no reason. I have not been proven wrong in almost 30 years of use.

jetmechanicdave

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:10 pm

Air Optix Night and Day are the only lenses several eye Doctors recommended for me. Plus I wear them in dusty environments and have since the 1990s and never had a problem with them.
Aircraft Mechanic and Airliners.net Forum Moderator

akiss20

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:54 pm

Wore glasses for probably 7 years before trying contacts and god I hate going back occasionally. Contacts are way better IMO. Nothing like having ALL of your vision be clear rather than looking through a porthole of clear vision. I wear a set of contacts for probably 2-3 weeks before replacing (they are the Acuvue Oasys) and that works just fine for me. Every so often you’ll get a little irritation if one is a bit deformed but overall been a massive improvement since I got them.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

RyanairGuru

Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:48 pm

I've been wearing daily disposable lenses for about 10 years now, and would personally not consider anything else. I use Acuvue Moist lenses and would recommend them.

I have recently switched to contact lenses corrected for astigmatism and that took a couple of days to get used to as they are thicker plastic than regular contact lenses, but adjusted to them very quickly.

I have never used monthly lenses which you need to store mostly because I'm not interested in the hassle or storing them even if they are slightly cheaper.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

akiss20

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:25 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:

I have never used monthly lenses which you need to store mostly because I'm not interested in the hassle or storing them even if they are slightly cheaper.

Glad you found what works for you, but something to note about daily lenses is that they tend to be a bit more fragile. My boyfriend wears daily's due to his allergies and has had multiple issues of them splitting into two pieces in his eye and sometimes it is quite difficult to flush out the little piece from his eye. I've never really had much of a hassle of storing them myself for the 2-3 week long use ones. To each his own, just something to note.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:47 am

My optometrist gave me two brands to try: Acuvue Oasis and Dailies AquaComfort (the one that releases a lubricant with each blink). So far, the Oasis is WAY more comfortable than the Dailies. I don't know which lubricant they speak of, but I wore the Dailies today and I couldn't wait to get home to take them off.

When I wore the extended wear ones, I used CooperVision Biofinity Toric ones. No issues with them.

Something tells me those are the only two brands he works with so I'm thinking about going online and getting the order there; only issue is that I wouldn't have an insurance discount.

Aeroflot777

Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:21 am

I've been using these bad boys for 13+ years on a daily basis. It's so part of my routine at this point, I don't even notice it. I get them online in the US and W. Europe (in Europe one doesn't need a prescription for contacts), and when in Russia, I stock up for a 6-month supply there since they are 50% cheaper. Wear them for an avg. of 14 hours a day with no issues.

FatCat

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:24 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

I wear glasses since the age of 6. So it's 29 years so far.
Contact lenses are nice if you have to drive - but remember to keep glasses with you in case one fells off, happened while doing 130 kph on the motorway, not a nice sensation ( completely lost perspective sensation). But if you like me work 9 / 10 hours a day behind a computer screen, glasses are way more comfortable. Glasses can be equipped with anti-reflex lenses, because neon lights + computer screen = eyes destroyed. Maybe you can buy the "transition" lenses, that go dark with strong light and clear in dark environments.
I prefer dailies because I do not wear them very often, only if I have a long drive during daytime or on the beach / on snow where sunglassess are mandatory. My choice is Alcon's Focus Dailies Aqua Confort. Also for monthly lenses I choose Alcon's, but I don't remember the name...
Lasik... well I'm always a bit afraid. I am eligible for walfare paid Lasik operation, missing 7 / 10 on left eye and 6 / 10 on right eye (yes you can call me Mr. Magoo) but I'm still not sure about it. Recovery is very long, one of my colleagues has had the Lasik procedure January and still not completely recovered.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right